Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Beans posted:

Can anyone playing Squad comment on how the long range shooting works compared to BF2 PR?

I've been basically acing people like red orchestra. Overall feels very similar to me.

Long range with the ACOG there's some minor randomness but it's pretty predictable.

LMG right now is very situational, it's good for covering approaches when you have absolute cover and they have to expose to attack you but not much else. It's pretty good as a run and gun weapon but the regular guns are better because less recoil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there a DMR in the game or what's the list of available weapons?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Threw down $70usd on this. I'm insane.

Game is great. Voice coms are a must. Its an absolute blast to play and feels great. It runs ace on high, on my quickly aging 660gtx as well, which was a nice surprise.

The sound is fantasic. A good gunfight is amazingly tense experience. My first match involved a 20 minute fight over a small but important compound. Everybody was using comms and squad leaders were being... well, squad leaders. It was a fantastic introduction to the game.

I can't wait to play more.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

This is pretty good for early alpha. If they can add some favela-like maps I'll be in tactical heaven.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

I'm honestly amazed with the netcode.
I can play on ANY server, and not notice any issues at all. I've played with people from the US, UK and Finland all on the same server and it was perfect. I'm super impressed.

Now once the player count goes up and vehicle come in it may change, but right now its fantastic.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tehsid posted:

I'm honestly amazed with the netcode.
I can play on ANY server, and not notice any issues at all. I've played with people from the US, UK and Finland all on the same server and it was perfect. I'm super impressed.

Now once the player count goes up and vehicle come in it may change, but right now its fantastic.

This is how red orchestra was. I was living in korea and played on US servers and it was always perfect. Nice contrast to battlefront which has the usual bullshit battlefield 3+ netcode.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

What I think they really have nailed is the tactical gameplay. Without all of the visual cues and HUD hints on enemy position, it is very easy for a squad in defensive position to get completely pinned by the psychology of suppression fire. Nine dudes in good cover can get picked apart by 3-4 once the guys on overwatch fail to project force first for instance against a RPG in the worst case scenario but even a frag or a snipe on the lone dude covering a good approach.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Jesus christ this game. I just spent 20 minutes bunkered down behind a rock with 5 guys under heavy fire to come out, take the pos and turn the game around by 22 points. What an absolute blast. This the poo poo.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Minorkos posted:

PR seemed like a good game but it seemed like anyone in a position of video game power was a douchebag.

I cannot quote this enough. It's my biggest gripe with any game whose multiplayer community revolves around private dedicated servers.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Love Stole the Day posted:

I cannot quote this enough. It's my biggest gripe with any game whose multiplayer community revolves around private dedicated servers.

Hopefully there's enough goon interest in this game for us to run a few of our own.

Red Orchestra 1 was nice in that there was a few good dedicated servers with communities that had good admins that basically just banned cheaters and nothing else.

tehsid posted:

Jesus christ this game. I just spent 20 minutes bunkered down behind a rock with 5 guys under heavy fire to come out, take the pos and turn the game around by 22 points. What an absolute blast. This the poo poo.

I'm blown away how much fun I'm having when you consider there's barely any features in the game right now.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tehsid posted:

Seriously it owns. Some guy out up an FOB and losing it (and the ticket loss that entails) would have guaranteed a loss basically. Suddenly the other team surrounded us 360 degrees with RPGs and rifles suppressing us and we managed to hold them off just barely and pull out of a ticket deficit to win

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
This seems like it gives a lot of that great ARMA taste without that awful awful ARMA filling. I'd pay money to not deal with ARMA's action menu alone. This looks like everything I've ever wanted in a tactic00l fps and I'm kinda surprised this thread is as sedate as it is.

I really dislike the "early access" model for Reasons, but I can't see myself not jumping the gently caress into this asap once it hits steam.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Willie Tomg posted:

This seems like it gives a lot of that great ARMA taste without that awful awful ARMA filling. I'd pay money to not deal with ARMA's action menu alone. This looks like everything I've ever wanted in a tactic00l fps and I'm kinda surprised this thread is as sedate as it is.

I really dislike the "early access" model for Reasons, but I can't see myself not jumping the gently caress into this asap once it hits steam.

It's ARMA but without the poo poo that makes it awful and boring and only some of the jankiness

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

I'm sure once this hits the $30 EA release on steam lots of people will jump on it. But after the time I've spent with it, I'm glad I got in when I did. Its loads of fun and has already been worth what I paid.

The next update is looking good too, new models a new map are all looking great!

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willie Tomg posted:

Yeah it's kind of a niche thing but if anyone has any content ideas for the OP I'd gladly add to it, maybe get more people interested. I'm thrilled that I was able to attract a few backers at least already.

loving can't wait for the next patch(es) this game is goddamn amazing.

e- went and revised OP since I spent about 30 seconds making it originally

soy fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 12, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

When does the next iteration of the game come out?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

I believe its sometime this week.

Also the new OP looks great!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Few things I've noticed from playing this the past week or so;

1) LAW / RPG spam from a FOB is brutal, I managed 28 kills one game just standing beside an ammo crate in our FOB, lobbing LAW rockets at anything that moved

2) If you're being 'sniped' a lot, or getting very accurate AK fire from extreme distances, it's probably people using OBS (or other streaming software) to zoom/enhance the iron sights. I heard some folks talking about it one match, I guess the software allows you to zoom in a specific part of the screen by as much as x20-x30 times.

3) Anyone can apply a field dressing to a downed soldier, do this is the medic is going to be a minute. It saves them from bleeding out. Which can be crucial when the tickets are running low

4) Always update your spawn point with the closest FOB/Rally (enter, click on the desired spawn) so that when you die, it doesn't automatically drop you into the starting location

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
This game sparked my interest. I'm a tactical FPS newb, but I've been wanting to get into the genre. I've been researching several games and communities and was close to purchasing ARMA3 just based on the size of the community alone. The RO2 community seems all but dead. I've read complaints here and elsewhere about ARMA3 though, and maybe it would be worth it to get into this game as it is growing. For people that are already playing this, what advice would you have for a newb like me? Start with an established game like ARMA3, or give this one a go?

I also have dedicated hardware to host a server, but from the looks of it they're not allowing private servers as yet. That's another benefit of ARMA3, I could start up a server right now if I wanted.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
ARMA is fun. I've played ARMA for years and dooped around with mods and mapmaking in the series since 2001 when it was called Operation Flashpoint. I have an embarassing number of hours in the series over four games and loved most of the minutes in those hours and some of my favorite gaming moments ever are in those hours. ARMA is a toolset for having lots of fun like Minecraft except based on guns and vehicles and not cubes, and with a fairly reasonable investment in the community you'll probably find a mix of mod content that really tickles your pickle. Playing ARMA and Squad are not mutually exclusive and getting your butt kicked in one will probably make you better at the other since grognardy tactical FPS skills are fairly cross-transferrable between games going for that kind of thing.

ARMA is also janky as gently caress; any interaction of appreciable complexity has to be done by scrolling through an action list with your mousewheel and not, y'know, pressing a button or whatever. The engine and scripting is better and tighter than ever but instances of walking over a rock and breaking your legs are common enough that "ARMA-ing yourself" is a verb known to refer to phantom damage taken for dumb reasons, and it takes a lot of modding to get it where you're probably going to want it. On top of a vanilla install you'll probably want a few sound mods, you'll want the grenade aiming mod, you'll want ACRE for neat multiplayer radios which means you'll want a teamspeak server for ACRE to reference, you'll want the ACE3 mod probably, you'll probably want some more stuff on top of that and so on and so on and so on.

Even so hilariously early in its alpha phase, Squad looks like it put a lot fewer obstacles between You and Having Fun straight outta the box with a focus on manufacturing those closely coordinated teamplay moments that make ARMA the edifice it is in the genre.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 14, 2015

Molchane
Dec 13, 2014

TheMirage posted:

This game sparked my interest. I'm a tactical FPS newb, but I've been wanting to get into the genre. I've been researching several games and communities and was close to purchasing ARMA3 just based on the size of the community alone. The RO2 community seems all but dead. I've read complaints here and elsewhere about ARMA3 though, and maybe it would be worth it to get into this game as it is growing. For people that are already playing this, what advice would you have for a newb like me? Start with an established game like ARMA3, or give this one a go?

I also have dedicated hardware to host a server, but from the looks of it they're not allowing private servers as yet. That's another benefit of ARMA3, I could start up a server right now if I wanted.

I'd grab squad and play that and if you wanted more assets jump over to project reality. It's the same community and at some point they will (hopefully) be the same game, but right now project reality has vehicles and a larger selection of maps.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Squad owns, buy squad.

Also join the steam group I just made. If you're in a game, post. If you're thinking about playing, post.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/squadgoons

tehsid fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 15, 2015

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tehsid posted:

Squad owns, buy squad.

Also join the steam group I just made. If you're in a game, post. If you're thinking about playing, post.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/squadgoons

Will ad to op once im not on my phone

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Cool. That'd be rad.

Some tips for those starting.

1) When you first load the map, you'll be presented with a black screen with "Dead" written on it. Just hit enter, select a squad and pick your class/spawn location.

2) Stick with your squad and listen to your squad leader. Unless he's playing build a base for 30 minutes.

3) Always change your spawn location when a new FOB or Rally Point gets placed. Nothing is worse or potentially game changing as spawning at your starter flag in the heat of battle.

4) Use voip. Really. Even if its just to call targets. Its important. Even more important then actually killing dudes.

5) Is there a medic slot open? Be the medic. Learn to medic and heal heal heal. You will be loved by and REALLY help turn the game in your favor. So long as you pick your targets. Squad leader gets revived first unless they're out in the open and under fire.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Decided to go for it. I joined the steam group, I'll be playing tonight eastern time. Probably from 4:00pm on. Do people use the goon mumble server or just in game voip?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

TheMirage posted:

Decided to go for it. I joined the steam group, I'll be playing tonight eastern time. Probably from 4:00pm on. Do people use the goon mumble server or just in game voip?

Ingame voip is a must. Plus its very good ingame voip, V for local (all players 20 meters around you) and B for squad radio.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

I'd love to get some tips from the pros on how to identify targets. In urban areas of the map I'm fine, that's all familiar from other FPS games. When it's out in the field though I feel like I'm always struggling to identify where the fire is coming from.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MagnumOpus posted:

I'd love to get some tips from the pros on how to identify targets. In urban areas of the map I'm fine, that's all familiar from other FPS games. When it's out in the field though I feel like I'm always struggling to identify where the fire is coming from.

Good headphones help but this is where team communication is key. Two people being fired at should be able to triangulate incoming fire by comparing their relative positions with the noise. Of course this relies on not having braindead squaddies and being near each other.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

soy posted:

Good headphones help but this is where team communication is key. Two people being fired at should be able to triangulate incoming fire by comparing their relative positions with the noise. Of course this relies on not having braindead squaddies and being near each other.

Okay so maybe that's part of my problem. Sound seems almost useless for me, I feel like it's almost reversed or something. Maybe it's an audio driver settings issue.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

So this game is good? And people are playing it? I like Arma, I loved Insurgency, and I have an active hatred for money; can someone talk me into waiting until December? Crap netcode, bad gunfeel, hackers, whatever.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Anyone know what the vehicle situation is? Seems like they're definitely planning on including humvees, but what about APCs or tanks? have a friend who loved playing AT rifleman in PR and isn't going to be terribly interested in this unless it's going to include armor and HAT kits.

Also. is there anything like the insurgency mode from PR where Blufor has to track down and destroy insurgent weapon caches? That was always my favorite.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Azerban posted:

So this game is good? And people are playing it? I like Arma, I loved Insurgency, and I have an active hatred for money; can someone talk me into waiting until December? Crap netcode, bad gunfeel, hackers, whatever.

The only thing right now is that player counts weeknights peak at 20odd players, but on one server which you can play on regardless of ping as you'll never notice. The netcode is amazing currently.

Weekends are great as servers fill up and are awesome. Graphic optimization needs some work, as it can choppy in some areas, but they know what the problem is and fix little bits every update.

Varam posted:

Anyone know what the vehicle situation is? Seems like they're definitely planning on including humvees, but what about APCs or tanks? have a friend who loved playing AT rifleman in PR and isn't going to be terribly interested in this unless it's going to include armor and HAT kits.

Also. is there anything like the insurgency mode from PR where Blufor has to track down and destroy insurgent weapon caches? That was always my favorite.

Vehicles are coming. I think the first basic troop transport come in December ish. Tanks are coming later though they are coming.

AT Kits will come, I'm sure around the same time as vehicles drop.

Right now its just the basic gameplay from BF games, but its fun as poo poo and often very stressful. But more are coming and you can also mod in your own quite easily. They have tutorials on there forums. I'm not sure how easily they're added in game though. But more is coming soon.

tehsid fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 17, 2015

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
This game is indeed fun and I'm definitely looking forward to its development. That said, I checked out project reality too once I realized it was a standalone. Is there any good resources out there for that game? There seems to be only a couple of populated servers with decent ping. Any good way to get into the community etc.. ?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Man this game pulls out some compelling moments. Just had a long as game that went back and fourth, and thanks to a great squad and leader, we got awful close to a victory.

And I found a decent medic-bro who helped out when we needed it rather then forgetting he was a medic. Game owns.

Molchane
Dec 13, 2014

TheMirage posted:

This game is indeed fun and I'm definitely looking forward to its development. That said, I checked out project reality too once I realized it was a standalone. Is there any good resources out there for that game? There seems to be only a couple of populated servers with decent ping. Any good way to get into the community etc.. ?

I would watch a few videos of people playing it and hopped into an infantry squad that was being lead by someone that would talk(usually ENG INF, MUM INF, Infantry anything other than the default Alpha, Beta, Charlie). Just mention you're new whenever they want you to do something and someone will tell you how to do things. The community is small enough for you to get to know most of the people so if there's a clan that you enjoy playing with just talk to them.

If you're planning on using any vehicles I'd watch videos on people explaining them and find test servers to learn how to fly, losing assets in PR will lose a round pretty quick so they get pissed off when they see someone crash or one man a vehicle.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Having more fun in Squad than PR. PR seems to be full of TKers and people just messing around.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TheMirage posted:

Having more fun in Squad than PR. PR seems to be full of TKers and people just messing around.

Good point really, aside from the 1 or 2 friendly fire incidents I have yet to be TK'd.

Of course $70USD is a pretty hefty sum to join a game for 'lol rekt m8'

Once we get to a proper beta release the amount of asshattery will increase I'm sure, wonder what they will put in place to counter that?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Sappo569 posted:

Good point really, aside from the 1 or 2 friendly fire incidents I have yet to be TK'd.

Of course $70USD is a pretty hefty sum to join a game for 'lol rekt m8'

Once we get to a proper beta release the amount of asshattery will increase I'm sure, wonder what they will put in place to counter that?

Yeah. Same here. Though I have friendly fired on team mates by accident, but most of the time it's their fault for not calling their location when we're targeting a point.

I fear vehicles. I'm sure they'll be neat, but right now the game is exactly what I'm after. Short of travel time, I'm worried they'll end up taking some of the fun out of the"surprise" fire fights that can happen now, or end up being used for trolling.

But we'll see. I hope I'm wrong.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
They worked fine in Red Orchestra, I don't think it's impossible to have vehicles in this sort of game. The only thing I'd be concerned about is that RO tanks were clumsy hunks of junk that left you fighting the controls as much as the enemy, tri axialy stabilised guns with FLIR ect might be another matter all together. But I suppose the potency of anti vehicle weapons is far superior too, so maybe it'll balance out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Once you learn the arc smoking infantry with rockets from 400-500m away right now is super easy, I can't imagine the inclusion of vehicles not going badly

Unless they invent stealth vehicle technology of course