Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

xutech posted:

This has appeared on steam and is due to be released on the 15th (who knows with steam).

Midnight PST according to the forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Midnight PST according to the forums

Yep, we'll be pressing the button at midnight PST.

It's a big green button. Very inviting. Makes you really want to press it. :)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Screenshot the button.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
So I've been keeping an eye on this game, and I'm really stoked to pick it up when it launches tomorrow. People who have already spent time in the alpha, hows the optimization? It doesn't look too terribly graphics intensive, but my new video card should be arriving tomorrow and I'm curious if I'll be able to max it out. I ordered a GTX 960 2gb.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Serious question: Will the devs consider crowdsourcing asset creation as the PR devs did for some stuff? For example, I really love Silent Eagle, and I'm sure there are plenty of Wehraboos that would be willing to make German army stuff. Like, maybe have a standard quality and let the community provide free work to greatly expand the game's content. Or are there legal implications to that since this is a retail game?

One of PR's greatest strengths is the diversity, but PR's had nine years to get here. That said, the quality level of your guys' work is astounding so it would take some talented community members to replicate it. I own a Bulgarian AK74 and your model/texture is the best representation I have seen of it in any game period.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 15, 2015

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Justin Tyme posted:

Serious question: Will the devs consider crowdsourcing asset creation as the PR devs did for some stuff? For example, I really love Silent Eagle, and I'm sure there are plenty of Wehraboos that would be willing to make German army stuff. Like, maybe have a standard quality and let the community provide free work to greatly expand the game's content. Or are there legal implications to that since this is a retail game?

One of PR's greatest strengths is the diversity, but PR's had nine years to get here. That said, the quality level of your guys' work is astounding so it would take some talented community members to replicate it. I own a Bulgarian AK74 and your model/texture is the best representation I have seen of it in any game period.

Mod support yo. If you want to make a WW2 mod or whatever, you can.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Frog Act posted:

So I've been keeping an eye on this game, and I'm really stoked to pick it up when it launches tomorrow. People who have already spent time in the alpha, hows the optimization? It doesn't look too terribly graphics intensive, but my new video card should be arriving tomorrow and I'm curious if I'll be able to max it out. I ordered a GTX 960 2gb.

I'm running a GTX 960 4gb, an i5-3570k with the default clock, and 8gb of RAM, I believe everything auto-set to the highest settings for me, and it runs fine. Once 100 player servers are the norm (right now I think the highest I've seen on the browser barring the 100-man test events is 70 or so) it may be a little more taxing, but probably not too much at that point.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

RocketRaygun posted:

Mod support yo. If you want to make a WW2 mod or whatever, you can.

Mod support when? It'd be nice to have access to whatever assets you guys have now so the community doesn't die off before things really get going for you all. I read you guys are holding off due to the fundamental changes breaking it, but when can we expect an asset release at the least? That way the community can at least work on their maps for the official implementation?

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 15, 2015

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

RocketRaygun posted:

Yep, we'll be pressing the button at midnight PST.

It's a big green button. Very inviting. Makes you really want to press it. :)

DON'T TOUCH IT! it's the game launching button!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAQjP2ql1Vg

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

http://store.steampowered.com/app/393380/ It's live.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Verdict: It looks great, sounds great, plays great, but is definitely going to be harder to master than PR just given how the graphic fidelity makes it harder to identify targets.

Immediate glaring quality of life improvements that are needed that wouldn't take much (other than UI work):

-Overhaul the UI so as to better be able to identify players' kits and whether they are alive or wounded or dead-dead. I can understand wanting to move on from the BF2 engine but that UI was so elegant for being able to tell who is who and what their status is.
-Make the player and game icons on the map a little larger/more defined (maybe an outline?). It's kind of difficult to see things on the map at a glance because of how crisp and high resolution they are against the backdrop. Scale them up and give them a black outline.
-Add a little puff of dirt/blood with a flinch animation to player models when they get hit, this is one of those things where gameplay trumps realism for me. There needs to be a positive "hit" indication to make shooting things feel rewarding vs just turning someone into a ragdoll.
-Dunno where I stand on adding backblast to LAT, I don't think having backblast do damage makes the game any better. I feel this is the kind of little poo poo that the ultraspergs will keep pushing for that will diminish the overall feel and flow of the game.
-Let the player jump when they are out of stamina. Eventually add mantling, but right now there are little toejams that can't be traversed and it's a bit frustrating when you are out of stamina.

It's definitely a fun game and will go far but please please please RocketRaygun don't let the ultraspergs chip away at what made PR one of the longest-running mods in history. I bought this game for a modern PR, not for a round-based Arma, but I feel like there are portions of the community that don't "get" PR or what makes it what it is.

Also the FOB building stuff is pretty drat cool, even better once emplacements are in.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 15, 2015

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
More importantly, make jumps better so we're not jumping over and over muttering "get the gently caress up there"
Side sight would be nice, because sometimes I don't want to use ACOG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmklF4az0pE

Also, lots of TKing outside the squads going on due to allies being difficult to identify while peeking around corners. Definitely going to be an issue going forward.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 15, 2015

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

It's definitely a fun game and will go far but please please please RocketRaygun don't let the ultraspergs chip away at what made PR one of the longest-running mods in history. I bought this game for a modern PR, not for a round-based Arma, but I feel like there are portions of the community that don't "get" PR or what makes it what it is.

The kicker here is that you are the ultra sperg.

PR is good and everything for the 200 people that are still into it, but it's really impenetrable for everyone else.

If anything I'd stop making direct comparissons between the squad and PR, as you will subject yourselves to the rose colored disappointment of PR fanboys for breaking the mould in any way.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Game is awesome but it feels jittery? I can't tell if it a server-side issue but the game play isn't exactly smooth.

And not having sniper rifles for the US Side is a sin.

Justin Tyme posted:

-Add a little puff of dirt/blood with a flinch animation to player models when they get hit, this is one of those things where gameplay trumps realism for me. There needs to be a positive "hit" indication to make shooting things feel rewarding vs just turning someone into a ragdoll.

No, no, no, no. This isn't call of duty and hit indicators, kill indicators are the worst things to ever grace an FPS. If anything they need to add smoke and dust when weapons are fired or a projectile hits a surface.

Skoots
Sep 6, 2006
Ya cause people just shrugging off gun shots is so realistic,

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Anyone have the changelog from the pre-public release to the public release? I can't find it on their site.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Tab8715 posted:

Game is awesome but it feels jittery? I can't tell if it a server-side issue but the game play isn't exactly smooth.

And not having sniper rifles for the US Side is a sin.

No, no, no, no. This isn't call of duty and hit indicators, kill indicators are the worst things to ever grace an FPS. If anything they need to add smoke and dust when weapons are fired or a projectile hits a surface.

He isn't asking for hit indicators (flashing around your crosshairs), he is asking for in game world feedback from models getting shot.

Example if they are hit in the shoulder they should flinch back on that shoulder and have maybe a tiny puff of blood/dirt. It looks strange if people have no reaction to being hit until they are dead and fall down. That's like a human shaped cardboard target.

Battlefront, battlefield 3 & 4 are great examples of this kind of hit reaction animation, although I imagine it's a lot of work.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Captain Beans posted:

He isn't asking for hit indicators (flashing around your crosshairs), he is asking for in game world feedback from models getting shot.

Example if they are hit in the shoulder they should flinch back on that shoulder and have maybe a tiny puff of blood/dirt. It looks strange if people have no reaction to being hit until they are dead and fall down. That's like a human shaped cardboard target.

Battlefront, battlefield 3 & 4 are great examples of this kind of hit reaction animation, although I imagine it's a lot of work.

So basically he wants the game to be less realistic? Because these are not things that happen outside of hollywood/vidogems.

Skoots
Sep 6, 2006
The same could be said about people just absorbing bullets with no reaction.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Bullets don't have much mass and so don't shift people around too much, and people can just not react much to shots in the stress of battle unless it's immediately debilitating. Visually, it's very underwhelming compared to what you'd expect.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

how me a frog posted:

So basically he wants the game to be less realistic? Because these are not things that happen outside of hollywood/vidogems.

In this case yes, and the devs have said as much that realism takes second place to gameplay in certain situations. Having a little puff of blood/a little flinch/a little "urgh" is a necessary quality of life improvement. I don't care if it's unrealistic, it's better for gameplay's sake. It's a game, not a simulator, despite what the streamers and youtubers might say.

Skoots
Sep 6, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Bullets don't have much mass and so don't shift people around too much, and people can just not react much to shots in the stress of battle unless it's immediately debilitating. Visually, it's very underwhelming compared to what you'd expect.

Ya that can happen, but ive also seen people go into shock from just thinking theyd been shot. Usually though it involves a lot of screaming and alot of other things that arent just keeping running forward.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't been playing this because I have a million games to play, but its still an excellent game

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
Just picked up the game and played a couple hours today. The only thing I dislike is the ironsights on the non-Western teams feel very difficult to use and so far away, where the Western teams get Optics with most of their classes so I always play Western rather than the other team.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Anyone running this OK on an i3 or does it need four cores? I've got an R7 250 and a Haswell Pentium right now that aren't cutting it. GTX 950 on the way, not sure about a CPU though.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

The French Army! posted:

Anyone running this OK on an i3 or does it need four cores? I've got an R7 250 and a Haswell Pentium right now that aren't cutting it. GTX 950 on the way, not sure about a CPU though.

running fine on an i3 for me

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Guess I'll wait and see if the Pentium does alright with the new GPU then.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Bought this on a whim tonight after keeping my eye on it forever. It's pretty awesome, I played for almost two hours and did like a match and a half, had a lot of fun coordinating stuff with my squadmates. I think I got like 3 kills total, but they were all pretty satisfying. I've put a lot of time, by my standards, into RO2 and Insurgency, and this basically brings them together in a good way. I dig the way you're pretty much forced to be a team player, and coordinating an FOB/defense/push with your squad and the rest of the team is pretty thrilling.

Had some minor performance issues, with random framerate drops. It recommended I set it to "epic" but dips down to ~15 randomly from its regular 50 fps for no discernable reason. I've heard its a geforce thing?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Frog Act posted:

Bought this on a whim tonight after keeping my eye on it forever. It's pretty awesome, I played for almost two hours and did like a match and a half, had a lot of fun coordinating stuff with my squadmates. I think I got like 3 kills total, but they were all pretty satisfying. I've put a lot of time, by my standards, into RO2 and Insurgency, and this basically brings them together in a good way. I dig the way you're pretty much forced to be a team player, and coordinating an FOB/defense/push with your squad and the rest of the team is pretty thrilling.

Had some minor performance issues, with random framerate drops. It recommended I set it to "epic" but dips down to ~15 randomly from its regular 50 fps for no discernable reason. I've heard its a geforce thing?

As far as I can tell a lot of the performance issues lie in the need for some optimization on some of the maps. It's happening though.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

In this case yes, and the devs have said as much that realism takes second place to gameplay in certain situations. Having a little puff of blood/a little flinch/a little "urgh" is a necessary quality of life improvement. I don't care if it's unrealistic, it's better for gameplay's sake. It's a game, not a simulator, despite what the streamers and youtubers might say.

I don't see this is how necessary or better at all, but it looks like you're going to get your wish and I'm not going to buy the game either way so alls well that ends well? Frankly I thought it was extremely cool that there was no indicator. Because seriously what's the difference, do you stop shooting people before they fall down in other games?

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Justin Tyme posted:

There is already a puff of blood. If you see it when you fire a shot, it means you dealt damage. If you hit them and don't get the splatter, you didn't deal damage.

It's currently buggy right now (and not a whole lot I can fix) where you can see a blood splatter when they hit you but don't deal damage, and when other people 'land' shots. But for cases where you are shooting, hitting, and seeing a blood splatter... that means you dealt damage and the server agreed.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

how me a frog posted:

he wants to be able to nerd up on if his shots are hitting or not, it would be useful for everyone to learn and not just pubbies.

how me a frog posted:

Because seriously what's the difference, do you stop shooting people before they fall down in other games?

If they don't think they're getting anywhere they'll stop on their own. Or not, in which case they'll stop because they ran out of ammo. You see this all the time in other games when people who were running into bullets over and over just give up and go snipe or something.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captn Kurp posted:

Just picked up the game and played a couple hours today. The only thing I dislike is the ironsights on the non-Western teams feel very difficult to use and so far away, where the Western teams get Optics with most of their classes so I always play Western rather than the other team.

Yeah iron sights definitely need work. If you actually hold an ak irl and use iron sights it is way more intuitive to use since the sights actually kinda blur and you generally are able to focus down range but still see them.

That being said, the drat acog gives you so much of a range advantage it's not even remotely fair on maps where that is useful.

But whatever, alpha. Or is it beta now?

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

In one hour of this I had more fun than all my arma 2 and 3 time combined

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Dvsilverwing posted:

drat those scrubs for not voting Kokan.

At least it wasn't loving Muttrah.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

soy posted:

Yeah iron sights definitely need work. If you actually hold an ak irl and use iron sights it is way more intuitive to use since the sights actually kinda blur and you generally are able to focus down range but still see them.

That being said, the drat acog gives you so much of a range advantage it's not even remotely fair on maps where that is useful.

But whatever, alpha. Or is it beta now?

Still EA Alpha I believe.

Also it's just a classic PR thing. Although conventional factions might have optics, things start to even out when the logistics system is implemented and unconventional factions don't need a working supply line to build things like FOB's or barricades.

Triple A posted:

At least it wasn't loving Muttrah.

You're drat right. Fallujah may have been overplayed, but Muttrah was just loving overrated.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I get that they're trying to be realistic with rifle optics but there's no way that the "insurgents" don't have access to any scopes at all.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Tab8715 posted:

I get that they're trying to be realistic with rifle optics but there's no way that the "insurgents" don't have access to any scopes at all.

It'd be nice to have kobra sights or something for the AKs but honestly, I didn't perceive a big difference in overall accuracy between the M4 red dot and the regular iron sights on the AK

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Frog Act posted:

It'd be nice to have kobra sights or something for the AKs but honestly, I didn't perceive a big difference in overall accuracy between the M4 red dot and the regular iron sights on the AK

Aside from the 4x ACOG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Tab8715 posted:

Aside from the 4x ACOG?

I only got to mess around with that for a minute and I got my poo poo wrecked since we were pushing hard on a point and lots of CQB was happening, so I can't speak to the effectiveness of it at long range. it'd probably be sensible to give insurgents some equivalent thing though.

This game is really growing on me, I rarely play a game until really late and then wake up still thinking about it these days. $40 is a little steep but I think it was probably worth it, especially if they get the stuttering fixed. I'm also betting that the devs won't gently caress up EA like so, so many other developers have because PR was so consistently developed for so long, I hope I'm not being too optimistic