Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Rahxephon Rewatch post #7

EP 20-23

_____

Way earlier, in my episode 6-10 write up, I mentioned how there's occasionally an awkward tension to this show. Sometimes it seems like the show can't decide what story it wants to tell, so that the plot switches trajectory or that a character's (usually Ayato) behavior changes without real cause. Between episodes 11-19 this mostly hasn't been a problem, but now that the series is finally coming to a conclusion its back again in a big way.

These episodes have some very strong moments, but as a whole they're very awkwardly structured. There are entire plot threads that come to nothing (Haruka's relationship with Isshiki), a lot of motifs that are just beaten into the dirt (every side character suffers from unrequited love — and the show will make you watch every agonizing moment of it), and there's a ton of work done to re-establish the status quo of the pre-Tokyo episodes just for the show to break it a second time.

And character development, character knowledge, and even established plot details all get rewound to facilitate this.

_____

Ayato is brought back to paradise island. The new top brass is Isshiki, another character who was shown as a kid in the orphan episode. He's being mind controlled by Ixtli!Reika. Ayato's not sure what's up with that, but he doesn't care so he doesn't make a big deal out of it.

Ayato's other friend from Tokyo Jupiter, Mamoru, shows up on the island. He's a spy posing as a refugee. He plays up Ayato's guilt to get him to fight a dolem... which doesn't make sense because Ayato just learned that fighting dolems is the opposite thing you should do if you want to help Tokyo Jupiter refugees. We just had a whole big episode about that! So Mamoru tricks Ayato into doing something that neither of them want to happen and nearly gets himself killed for the effort.

(It'd almost make sense if Mamoru wanted to duel Ayato in combat as revenge for Asahina, but the show makes a big deal out of Mamoru learning about Asahina's death in the following episode, so he has no reason to fight!)

Oh, I see. Mamoru is playing off of Ayato's guilt at Asahina's death. —but wait, Mamoru doesn't know Asahina is dead yet!

_____

Isshiki plans to be a hero by enacting a plan to bring down Tokyo Jupiter's barrier, despite his bosses telling him that's a bad idea and he's not allowed to do it. Ixtli!Reika compels him into this reckless action at the same time she's trying to get Ayato to 1) get back into painting and 2) realize he has that hots for Haruka, as to better be inspired for painting. Wasn't it a plot beat in a previous episode that Ayato decided he wasn't all that into Haruka? Don't worry about it.

Mamoru explains that the Tokyo Jupiter Mulians believe that when an Ollin properly brings out the power of their Xephon it will become the "True Rah Xephon," which through Ixtli will bring about the Ollin's heart's desire. The Mulians hope to use this power to recreate their lost world/come to inhabit this new one.

As he finished his paining Ayato's paint covered hand looks one covered in blue blood. This is clever foreshadowing of something that happened two episodes ago.

Ayato finishes his painting, and then Ixtli!Reika appears before Ayato and tells him its time to create his new world. (Ayato exclaims, "You're not Mishima Reika?" which is a thing he already knew and which had previously informed his actions in past episodes.) Using Ayato's painting as a template, Ixtli takes control of the (True?) Rahxephon to destroy the old world. A horrified Ayato destroys his painting to prevent this, which returns The True Rahxephon to its original egg form and terrifies Ixtli.

(There's may be an implication that Ixtli purposely provoked Ayato into mistakenly killing Asahina? Ixtli needs Ayato to focus on his painting of Reika/Haruka -- Asahina being another girl who caught Ayato's interest would have been a threat to this. The show doesn't really call attention to it, but given her willingness to just destroy the world I think it's possible.)

Isshiki brings the barrier down, and without it the Mulian "nation" more fully integrates with the world, revealing hundreds of floating cities hovering above the Earth. Whoops! They demand the surrender of the Rahxephon, and send a humongous city-sized battle dolem to paradise island to collect it. There's a tearful episode as the island is evacuated in anticipation of using a dimensional bomb to take out the island and the battle dolem both.

The explosion also endangers the Rahxephon, which leads Ixtli to make a panicked covenant with Ayato. Ayato accepts that Ixtli has up until now acted in good faith and in return Ixtli becomes subordinate to Ayato, such that she won't go destroying the world on her own initiative.

Even the giant robot has an unrequited love.

_____

These episodes go heavy on showing Haruka as sympathetic, trustworthy, and someone Ayato should really get with. When it does this by having Haruka and Ayato in the same scene speaking to one another it mostly pulls it off. Too often, however, it'll have some other character butt in to tell Ayato that he's basically obligated to make Haruka his girlfriend because 1) she's done backroom deals to keep the military from killing him and 2) she's infatuated with him so it'd be rude not to like her back. It gets very heavy handed at points.

I guess in the original scenario the two of them ended up together, so now that we're six episodes from the end the show has to start jumping through hoops to make this happen.

There are other weird things, too. We see that Quon has been taken by the Bahben Foundation, despite the fact that when we last saw her she had escaped from the Bahben foundation. But later she uses her now-hatched Xephon to effortless escape from them... so why show her captured in the first place?

They also explain that the temple TERRA use to house the Rahxephon was originally built for Quon's Xephon. It's been empty until Ayato came because the Bahben Foundation took the Quon's egg from it long ago... except a previous episode showed that Quon's egg was located in Tokyo Jupiter, and a previous PREVIOUS episode implied that it was on a Polynesian island?

_____

Mind controlled Isshiki may be a good metaphor for this whole set of episodes.

I recently read Starting Point, a collection of Miyazaki essays. In one, he talks about how when producing Future Boy Conan he realized that the way the characters were developing conflicted with the original plot outline for the series. He had to decide whether to stick to the original plot, or re-design the latter part of the series to better fit the characters. In the end, he choose the latter option, even though it entailed a great amount of work.

Rahxephon feels like a show that underwent a similar conflict, but rather than stick to the scenario or write a second one they waffle between options until they run nearly out of episodes. It feels like the show is telling two different, incompatible stories.

These episodes aren't necessarily bad, but it feels like it's story exists at the expense of the episodes that came before it.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Mamoru stuff is unfortunately pretty badly bungled, which is really odd, since with a little bit of effort to making sure things happened in the proper order it would have been fine.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 8, 2021

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
wha, a clip show 3 eps after a previous clip show? how many more are there in macross

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
After Gloval Report I think that's mostly it for clip eps but don't take my word for it. It was a surprisingly troubled production.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Relin posted:

wha, a clip show 3 eps after a previous clip show? how many more are there in macross

None in Delta or Frontier.

e. Frontier has kinda half an episode of clip show, but from Zero.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RangerKarl posted:

After Gloval Report I think that's mostly it for clip eps but don't take my word for it. It was a surprisingly troubled production.

It's like Gundam in that it got more episodes added after being cut down by sponsors, but where Gundam's wrapup episodes were part of negotiations to ensure it got to the "right" ending, Macross was cut down, got an ending, then got more episodes.

Made for a very odd structure.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Honestly it reminds me of late Babylon 5, where pretty much the same thing happened.

Also I think Frontier has a whole-rear end clip show OAV...for 7. Strange times.

JucheMane
Apr 7, 2007

Put Your Stunna Shades On

Gripweed posted:

This is dumb but it's driving me crazy. The podcast E1 did a mecha parody episode, and I can't place all the music they used as BGM. I recognized The Wings of a Boy that Killed Adolescence from Gundam Wing and Beyond The Time from Char's Counterattack, and the Trigun theme song in the commercial, but the others elude me. Can anybody help me out?

https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/e1-exodus-gaiden-overdrive-generation-78

Hi, Soundtrack and Moodscape Director for E1 Podcast here (also played Balthazar Eros). Just scanning through the ep here are some of the tracks we used to the best of my memory:

Pierce the Heavens with your XXX! from Gurren Lagann
Thunderbolt Main Theme from Gundam Thunderbolt (pretty sure)
King of Heart (REPRISE) from G Gundam
the death scene used Love Conservative also from Gurren Lagann

There might also be tracks from Gundam Unicorn in here too. Sorry I can't be more specific, but hopefully this helps a bit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

JucheMane posted:

Hi, Soundtrack and Moodscape Director for E1 Podcast here (also played Balthazar Eros). Just scanning through the ep here are some of the tracks we used to the best of my memory:

Pierce the Heavens with your XXX! from Gurren Lagann
Thunderbolt Main Theme from Gundam Thunderbolt (pretty sure)
King of Heart (REPRISE) from G Gundam
the death scene used Love Conservative also from Gurren Lagann

There might also be tracks from Gundam Unicorn in here too. Sorry I can't be more specific, but hopefully this helps a bit.

Thank you so much! Pierce The Heavens With Your XXX was the one that was driving me crazy, I knew I had heard that song before but I just couldn't place it.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Surprising absolutely no one, Do You Remember Love? is pretty drat good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Weird BIAS posted:

Surprising absolutely no one, Do You Remember Love? is pretty drat good.

Yep.

I thought the opening act was awkward, since it kind of jumped into the middle of the action assuming the viewer was familiar enough with the show to get the deal while also changing a bunch of details to render that knowledge unreliable, but once it got going, it was really fun. Gorgeous animation, of course, but the core love triangle was managed in a way you didn't dislike any of the leads for being part of it, and the climax of the film let all three of them show off what they were good at.

I also liked the punchline for the song. Macross vacillates (sometimes even in the same series) on music being powerful because it represents human culture and connections, the things that define us outside of conflict and brute survival, and music being powerful because it shoots magic mind control song waves, so the ending being "The song's just a random-rear end love song from a long dead culture." is a nice lean towards my preferred version of Macross's Power Of Song.

I think I like Plus more, just as a whole stylistic thing, but Do You Remember Love is Macross at its Macrossiest, playing up the music, the love triangle, and the fighter jet mechs to the nth in a couple of glorious hours.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Holy moly the last episode of Rahxephon is some real trite.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Holy moly the last episode of Rahxephon is some real trite.

I really wish I could find a speech from Big O that seemed fitting for that.

Interested to see the final writeup. Rahxephon's one of the more well known mech anime I haven't really poked at, and these writeups have been nice, especially since it's not just comparing everything to Evangelion. (or saying not to compare things to Eva.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The series had several visual references to Evangelion (a few of which I screen capped in previous posts) but it is distinctly enough its own show that any comparisons would have been rather facile... up until these final episodes.

Gomen nasai, chiasaur11. I'm going to be making some comparisons to Eva.

_____

Rahxephon Rewatch post #8

EP 24-26

_____

Hey, thanks for explaining the plot, Lord Bahben. I really appreciate it.

Someone must have realize that they only had three episodes left, because these episodes make it a priority to explain all the irrelevant plot details. In brief:

Lord Bahben was originally of the Mu but was driven out (?) long ago. Bahben originally designed the Rahxephon system thousands of years ago as a machine which could remake (tune) the world, and since then he's been working on actually building the thing. The Mu recently provided Bahben with Quon and Maya, two Mulian twins and potential Ollins, in the hopes Bahben's Rahxephon system could provide a new home for the Mu. Quon seems younger than Maya nowadays because of time shenanigans.

Most of Bahben's clone servants are taken from Quon and Maya's genetic information. Ayato was a test tube baby derived from Quon. Quon and Ayato were the only successful Ollins. Itsuki (scientist, Quon's one time guardian, cursed amulet guy) is Ayato's younger twin brother. He seems older than Ayato and Quon nowadays because of time shenanigans.

The original plan was for the Mulians (now lead by Maya) to guide Ayato's upbringing so that when he came into his power he'd be naturally inclined to create an ideal world for them. Unfortunately, he became friends with Reika, a human girl his own age, which began to interfere with his conditioning. This lead to the Mulians removing her and her family from Tokyo before isolating the entire city within Tokyo Jupiter, using a false flag attack as pretense.

The violence between the Mulians and the Earth forces begins here, as the Mulians got nervous about their custom-built god possibly being compromised. Lord Bahben backs the Earth forces militarily against the Mu. He doesn't care what Ayato does with his powers as long as he does something with them. Bahben waited thousands of years for his god machine to be complete, and now he's going to witness a miracle, drat it, even if he has to provoke the Mulians and god both to make it happen!

And this gets us to where episode 1 starts, with Haruka né Reika entering Tokyo Jupiter to break Ayato out.

_____

Lord Bahben's Vermilion mecha are graphically confirmed to be based on Dolem tech.

We're told all of this piecemeal in the final episodes inbetween some fairly impressive battle scenes. It feels rushed, which I'm willing to forgive. What's more of a problem is how a lot of what we're told contradicts things we were told just episodes before. For example, episode 23 ended with Ixtli telling Ayato that she had met and guided previous Ollins in ages past, but now it's explained that the Rahxephon system was just a theoretical design that had only been successfully engineered just recently — there couldn't have been any previous Ollins! There are a lot of small details like this that aren't necessarily bad but which just don't mesh with what's already been presented.

The biggest example of this is probably Ayato and Haruka's relationship. I've been paying very close attention to this in my rewatch, because when I first saw the show (back around 2005) I was really caught off guard by it. I originally thought the show matched them up very suddenly in the last few episodes.

In my rewatch... it was still very sudden. Sure, Haruka had been hot on Ayato all series, but Ayato seemed to show her affection and disdain in equal measures up until he literally ran away from her. And sure, Ayato unknowingly based his ghost girlfriend (Ixtli) on his distorted memories of young Haruka, but he had gotten over his ghost girlfriend midway through the series, too!

_____

Ayato grows 6 inches between shots for his romantic moment. Which might explain why Haruka held out for him all these years.

And so, the emotional highlight of these episodes, when Ayato confesses that not only does he love Haruka but that he's always loved Haruka (he only needed to remember that he loved her!), falls completely flat. When they draw Ayato a couple inches taller for his adult kiss, it becomes almost comical.

(He's shorter in the scene immediately previous, and he's back to being shorter in later scenes too. Maybe he was just standing on his tippy toes?)

Haruka never does tell Ayato she was Reika, by the way. She tells him they were boyfriend and girlfriend long ago, but she never explains that her name was changed when her mother remarried or how she's the model for all his paintings.

_____

You know you're about to see some poo poo when the main character becomes superimposed with another character.

This revelation of his love awakens the True Rah Xephon, wherein Ayato fuses with the Rahxephon to become a weird Ayato!Xephon. Ayato enters his inner mind, wherein he undergoes psychic therapy while decided how he'll build the new world. This is visually reminiscent of some the more psychedelic stuff in the earlier episodes of the show, but structurally it also recalls episodes 25 and 26 of Evangelion.

In particular, there's a very twisted take on the "congratulations" moment. Rather than being applauded for personal growth, Ayato sees all the girls he's met over the series shyly confess their love to him, while the one cute boy tell him how much he admires him. The point is supposed to be that Ayato is loved and cherished by his friends, but it comes across as if Ayato's biggest fault is that he doesn't recognize how awesome he is. He just needs to have more confidence in his power!

(Wait, didn't overconfidence in that power get someone killed a few episodes ago? Well, don't worry about it.)

It ALSO seems like there's a message in how the problems he faced aren't really real, and ultimately what he needs to do is get over himself, man up, and get in a hetero-normative relationship with his quite literally predestined woman already. And on cue, after hearing enough girls tell him he's hot, he realizes he's truly worthy of Haruka.

(Was being "not worthy" of Haruka a concern he's had up until now? Don't worry about it.)

_____

To counteract the Eva comparisons let me just say that I'm getting some strong Devilman vibes from this.

BTW, while this is playing out in his mind, in the material world the Ayato!Xephon is getting its rear end beat by the Quon!Xephon in full contact sexual music combat. After Ayato gets his confidence back, Ayato!Xephon brutally kills the Quon!Xephon, blowing off her wings with a song and then taking her corpse into itself. After doing so, Ayato!Xephon finally has the power to remake the world. Hurray?

The new world is one in which Asahina (the girl Ayato killed) and Mamoru (her abusive boyfriend) are alive and happily married. Ayato himself is employed as an assistant professor at an art school, Haruka is his wife, and Quon is his daughter. He's just finished the final touches on his latest painting.

You might recognize this as being the high school romance AU from the last episode of Evangelion with some details changed. In Evangelion, this was a fantasy. In Rahxephon, Ayato uses the power of god and anime to make this fantasy come true. The series ends with Ayato successfully (if inadvertently) pulling off Gendo's plan.

Roll Credits

_____

I plan to write one more post to more fully collect my thoughts on the series as a whole, but for now I'll just say: what a disappointing (if at least entertainingly batshit) end to what was often a very good series.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 13, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

The series had several visual references to Evangelion (a few of which I screen capped in previous posts) but it is distinctly enough its own show that any comparisons would have been rather facile... up until these final episodes.

Gomen nasai, chiasaur11. I'm going to be making some comparisons to Eva.

仕方がない。

I don't mind comparisons to Eva when relevant, anyway. A show so obviously in the shadow of third impact is going to have Eva comparisons worth bringing up. The problem is when the show is exclusively discussed in comparison to Evangelion. Not "Evangelion also tried to tackle this theme, here is how the approach was different", but "This show is good (or bad) because this thing is like (or unlike) Evangelion."

It definitely sounds like there was an idea for the ending from the beginning, but it was a little vague, and when the show drifted away from fitting with it, they just stapled things together and called it a day. It's not exactly unknown with mech anime (look at Zeta Gundam and the writer conflict is pretty much on the screen) and it's even more of a risk when you're doing monster of the week plots. If a character develops too much, the plot might not work as planned. (Interviews on Gudam Iron Blooded Orphans explicitly mentioned that Tekkadan couldn't grow too much, or else they might prevent the endgame.) Sounds like RahXephon didn't prepare for that possibility.

But not every mech story is about the psychological development of child soldiers. Some are about the Russo-Japanese war.

Gale! Beast Machine Corps 203 is by Ken Ishikawa, the creator of Getter Robo. A one volume manga, it's pretty easy to sum up. In 1904, the Imperial Japanese Army hires a mad scientist who makes a coal powered giant robot. It fights the giant robots of the Russian's chief scientist. Everyone's at least a bit psychotic (IJA and Ken Ishikawa manga, after all) tons of people die, and a good time is had by all. It's not deep, but it's a fast read, and it's an unusual setting for a mech manga. Worth a look if you like Ishikawa's style.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

chiasaur11 posted:

仕方がない。

I don't mind comparisons to Eva when relevant, anyway. A show so obviously in the shadow of third impact is going to have Eva comparisons worth bringing up. The problem is when the show is exclusively discussed in comparison to Evangelion. Not "Evangelion also tried to tackle this theme, here is how the approach was different", but "This show is good (or bad) because this thing is like (or unlike) Evangelion."

It definitely sounds like there was an idea for the ending from the beginning, but it was a little vague, and when the show drifted away from fitting with it, they just stapled things together and called it a day. It's not exactly unknown with mech anime (look at Zeta Gundam and the writer conflict is pretty much on the screen) and it's even more of a risk when you're doing monster of the week plots. If a character develops too much, the plot might not work as planned. (Interviews on Gudam Iron Blooded Orphans explicitly mentioned that Tekkadan couldn't grow too much, or else they might prevent the endgame.) Sounds like RahXephon didn't prepare for that possibility.

But not every mech story is about the psychological development of child soldiers. Some are about the Russo-Japanese war.

Gale! Beast Machine Corps 203 is by Ken Ishikawa, the creator of Getter Robo. A one volume manga, it's pretty easy to sum up. In 1904, the Imperial Japanese Army hires a mad scientist who makes a coal powered giant robot. It fights the giant robots of the Russian's chief scientist. Everyone's at least a bit psychotic (IJA and Ken Ishikawa manga, after all) tons of people die, and a good time is had by all. It's not deep, but it's a fast read, and it's an unusual setting for a mech manga. Worth a look if you like Ishikawa's style.

Ishikawa definitely works better with one shots and short manga than he does with long ones, Seiten Wars Flieder Bug is another short and sweet mecha manga from him

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

仕方がない。

Yeah lol, everyone is even more deranged than they usually are in his manga

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I remember reading Ishikawa's Mega Man parody thinking it was someone else parodying him. But no, he just had a sense of humor about his schtick. What a loss his death was.

Also, I did understand what you meant, chiasaur. I also remember "this is a ripoff" vs "this is the better version" arguments being everywhere and extremely obnoxious back in the day. I just thought it was funny that immediately after you wrote that post I finally did compare the two.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
There is still the RahXephon movie out in the world, which has a different ending.

It's mostly a compilation yet still changes enough stuff by the time it concludes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the manga has a different ending too, i think.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I think I'm an old man. I can't see how Evangelion's Instrumentality or RahXephon's Retuning are actually good.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I love the ending. Both RahXephons, for their own reasons, decide fuxk Bahbem's machinations and gently caress all the other circumstances, they want to remake the world in the image of love. Ayato's just happens to be the one who wins.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I did like the creepy Bahbem monologue with the journalist/spy.

I think they replace him with the TERA commander in the movie.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i watched rahxephon with a friend and we couldnt remember any of the plot after. and it was his second viewing!

it's bad

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Relin posted:

i watched rahxephon with a friend and we couldnt remember any of the plot after. and it was his second viewing!

it's bad

Shame.

You know what's good, though?

Patlabor.

Although apparently Richard Wong is involved in the interplanetary Federation Council, which is a pretty shocking twist. (At least, that's what the random English text on a monitor talks about when he's being discussed, right next to a picture of his grinning mug).

I don't know which I love more. Anime with English text that fits the scene and adds to the world, or anime with English text that makes absolutely no sense in context.

Edit: Although losing Midnight Blue is unforgivable. For shame, Patlabor. For shame.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 15, 2021

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Relin posted:

it's bad

lol it'll take more than two viewings to get it all straight

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I watched Expelled From Paradise and thought it was very good. And it was also very much a 2010s anime film. I wish there was a sequel, because I need more of the two main characters.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

I watched Expelled From Paradise and thought it was very good. And it was also very much a 2010s anime film. I wish there was a sequel, because I need more of the two main characters.

Can't get enough of that Balzac, huh?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

Well, they're in SRW T, at least. Not saying it's much, but Angela's got a few levels focused around her, and Dingo's a supporter unit, so he gets a few scenes.

It's completely localized in English if you have a Switch or PS4, so if it sounds like your idea of a good time, it might be worth a look.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1361809351330136071

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I gave the last mech manga by that mangaka a once-over. Premise was interesting, execution was mediocre at best, and there were more than a few bits that made me feel embarrassed to have even seen it. Not optimistic here.

On the other end, Back Arrow's going along alright. It's not acting like a classic, but the cast dynamics are starting to fall into place, and we've got our obligatory masked ace, so the show's on pace for that metric. Shu's side of the plot is definitely more interesting than Arrow's at the moment, but we can hope that our protagonist carries more of his weight later on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I gave the last mech manga by that mangaka a once-over. Premise was interesting, execution was mediocre at best, and there were more than a few bits that made me feel embarrassed to have even seen it. Not optimistic here.

On the other end, Back Arrow's going along alright. It's not acting like a classic, but the cast dynamics are starting to fall into place, and we've got our obligatory masked ace, so the show's on pace for that metric. Shu's side of the plot is definitely more interesting than Arrow's at the moment, but we can hope that our protagonist carries more of his weight later on.

I definitely feel like Prax is a fun addition as Lutoh's answer to Shu. Same skills, completely different personality.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Darth Walrus posted:

I definitely feel like Prax is a fun addition as Lutoh's answer to Shu. Same skills, completely different personality.

Yes, It's always nice to have more dynamic personalities like Prax come into the show, since most of the village folks are rather basic.

I do enjoy Shu teasing Bit with the whole "admiral" thing though...and how can you not love someone who smugly admits he's not just a regular traitor...but a genius traitor?

Arrow is single-minded in a way that's reminiscent of your typically dumb shonen action heroes. That said...I do think they'll develop him more in due time.

Shifting the focus over to Lutoh seems like a good idea at this point. I also like the sleek design of Prax's flying mecha.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wow! tummy!!!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

wielder posted:

Yes, It's always nice to have more dynamic personalities like Prax come into the show, since most of the village folks are rather basic.

I do enjoy Shu teasing Bit with the whole "admiral" thing though...and how can you not love someone who smugly admits he's not just a regular traitor...but a genius traitor?

Arrow is single-minded in a way that's reminiscent of your typically dumb shonen action heroes. That said...I do think they'll develop him more in due time.

Shifting the focus over to Lutoh seems like a good idea at this point. I also like the sleek design of Prax's flying mecha.

Arrow has been a good supporting/enabling character for Shu Bi and the Edge trio, which works with his whole "doesn't believe in anything" shtick. This is the first time he's asserted himself against meaningful pushback; hopefully it causes some interesting conflict.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Caphi posted:

Arrow has been a good supporting/enabling character for Shu Bi and the Edge trio, which works with his whole "doesn't believe in anything" shtick. This is the first time he's asserted himself against meaningful pushback; hopefully it causes some interesting conflict.

I assume it'll just involve Prax beating the poo poo out of him while the Granedger crew smile and nod in approval. Boy's about due for a lesson in humility.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/Wu_Niang/status/1360937579911155721?s=20

https://twitter.com/Wu_Niang/status/1362959798346551301?s=20

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I mean, people think Ramza's a terrorist already. What's the harm in getting a few Getter team types along for the ride?

Don't answer that.

Speaking of three man mech teams, I finally watched another episode of Mecha Armor Dragonar, and I think I figured out what it feels like. It's Gundam done as one of those 80s and 90s cartoons that had a PSA about drugs or something at the end.

That's not quite a match, to be clear. It's an anime, so it was allowed to kill people, but it's a much lighter feeling show, even with the mass death. The heroes aren't a bunch of refugees and cadets making a family through circumstances, but three buddies fighting the villains, and the world doesn't feel so war-weary. In the original Gundam, we kick off by seeing Frau's family die horribly in front of her, and Amuro is seriously traumatized in the first handful of episodes. Meanwhile, Kaine's mom is just missing, with finding her as one of the main motives for the hero, nobody's got a thousand yard stare, the politics are simplified...

I've said the same thing about SEED and AGE, I know, but Dragonar is in some ways an even stronger example of Original Gundam As Product, an attempt to take something distinctive and make it into something just kind of... there. Not a bad show, but one that doesn't really do much to make it stand out, either. It's basically a real robot version of that flood of pseudo-Mazingers in the 70s, a Not!Gundam from an era where Gundam was much, much smaller.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 21, 2021

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, people think Ramza's a terrorist already. What's the harm in getting a few Getter team types along for the ride?

Don't answer that.

Speaking of three man mech teams, I finally watched another episode of Mecha Armor Dragonar, and I think I figured out what it feels like. It's Gundam done as one of those 80s and 90s cartoons that had a PSA about drugs or something at the end.

That's not quite a match, to be clear. It's an anime, so it was allowed to kill people, but it's a much lighter feeling show, even with the mass death. The heroes aren't a bunch of refugees and cadets making a family through circumstances, but three buddies fighting the villains, and the world doesn't feel so war-weary. In the original Gundam, we kick off by seeing Frau's family die horribly in front of her, and Amuro is seriously traumatized in the first handful of episodes. Meanwhile, Kaine's mom is just missing, with finding her as one of the main motives for the hero, nobody's got a thousand yard stare, the politics are simplified...

I've said the same thing about SEED and AGE, I know, but Dragonar is in some ways an even stronger example of Original Gundam As Product, an attempt to take something distinctive and make it into something just kind of... there. Not a bad show, but one that doesn't really do much to make it stand out, either. It's basically a real robot version of that flood of pseudo-Mazingers in the 70s, a Not!Gundam from an era where Gundam was much, much smaller.

the OP is fire tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Regarding Back Arrow, what's the over/under on the Granedger being able to transform? I swear it looks like it has fists coming out the back.