Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

free hubcaps posted:

is panzer world galient any good? i dig the mechanical designs and the OP slaps

It's alright. The plot is good, there's some good fights and good characters. I'd say the main drawback is that the main character is a snooze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not as good as the OP but its decent. If you've seen Escaflowne it's funny how much stuff that borrows from it lol.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Also worth noting, the snake robot is from the OVA, it's not in the TV series.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
It’s funny in escaflowne how prince Allen looks really similar to the earth boy love interest

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

free hubcaps posted:

Gonna go against the grain here and say Galient was really disappointing to me, though admittedly I may have gone into it with faulty expectations. What I wanted was like, medieval warfare but also robots but it ends up being not that at all. It kinda lost me as soon as the main robot got a gun tbh.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

hostess with the Moltres posted:

It’s funny in escaflowne how prince Allen looks really similar to the earth boy love interest

Edit: why hyperlinks giving me trouble today? Ah gently caress it. The eighth ep of escaflowne opens on a series of shots that has always killed me, it's all on youtube

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 1, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sakurazuka posted:

If you've seen Escaflowne it's funny how much stuff that borrows from it lol.

Don't they both have the twist that the villain is (something of) an isekai hero?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

free hubcaps posted:

It's a mixed bag. The designs are great and there are a lot of great characters and episodes, but the lead is kind of boring, the designated love interest for him sucks so hard that she is an active hindrance for the heroes, and the rival character is so dumb it amazes me that he that he can dress himself in the morning.

The show also loses the thread of its plot about 70% of the way in, to the point that the hero and villain are functionally in completely separate stories by the end. The show has some really great episodes and really great concepts, but it's also got some pretty apparent flaws.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

All I know about Galient is that someone made a bitchin' AMV with the OP music of the series and video from the third OVA which is basically a standalone AU.

Macross Delta basically just completely lost the plot after the beginning for me. That the rest of the show just never even got back on its feet, capped off with the disappointing ending and how they kept teasing at stuff with Lady M but refused to actually commit just made me resent it after finishing it. I enjoyed Frontier and the fact that it had a pretty good ending made me appreciate it more after Delta. The movies were fun too.

Dragonar was basically an attempt to start a new Gundam-esque franchise after ZZ, wasn't it? Also has a AMV with the OP music. Seriously this channel just has a lot of AMVs. And videos from that Macross rhythm game or whatever? I dunno. Just enjoying mecha AMVs lately.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Does anybody like Delta's music even? For a Macross thing, nobody ever really talks up that part of it, which feels telling.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
For as bad as Delta shat the ending I thin the characters and music worked for me better than Frontier's...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

Does anybody like Delta's music even? For a Macross thing, nobody ever really talks up that part of it, which feels telling.

I've seen people say nice things about some of the songs, and Walkure's music sells well enough in Japan, from what I've seen, but the general OST doesn't get talked about much. Which, yeah. It's pretty damning. (To be fair, Yoko Kanno is a hard act to follow.)

Comparing it to the competition, Delta moved an average of about 10K a unit for the DVDs. On its own, that's pretty respectable. Sure, it's not Frontier (which moved closer to 62K units, kicking the crap out of 00 Gundam's sales figures at the time), but certainly not bad, with comparable numbers to Jojo or Osomatsu-san season 2.

However, compared to the competition? It's less good. As a mech anime, it was against the first season of Iron Blooded Orphans, which managed to get about 12K a volume on average. Slightly behind, but still notable, even if DVD sales matter less to Bandai than plamo.

As an idol anime, though? That's where it has trouble. That same year, running in the same cour as the back half of Delta, Sunrise released Love Live Sunshine, which moved over 56,000 discs on average, outperforming Frontier's initial release. If we judge Delta's sales as a mech anime, it did pretty well. But as an idol anime, it couldn't compete with Sunrise's offerings, and as a hybrid, Symphogear was just getting in gear, with every series past the first selling more discs on average than Delta.

Not saying it was a flop, or even a disappointment for the corporate boardrooms, but Delta clearly wasn't blowing anyone away, either.

(Sorry. Got a bit of a data addiction. Most perturbatory.)

Talking about Dragonar, yeah. It was a post-ZZ project retelling the original Gundam story, but for the 90s. It could be seen as a bit of a test run for the later Gundam AUs, cutting all the UC baggage while keeping the same basic concepts. From the way it ended, it was never meant to have a direct sequel or anything. That might even have defeated the point. Anyway, it did fine, but ZZ did better, so we got Victory Gundam when Bandai bought out Sunrise rather than Sunrise trying to make more store-brand Gundam under new names. At least, that's the story I've seen floating around.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Pootybutt posted:

They've been pushing Walkure hard on everyone over the past 5 years, define nobody.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Queadlunn posted:

For as bad as Delta shat the ending I thin the characters and music worked for me better than Frontier's...

I looooved the Walkure songs and I think they fit the scenes they're used in really well in the series.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

RangerKarl posted:

They've been pushing Walkure hard on everyone over the past 5 years, define nobody.

Y'all, I'm asking what the ppl here who've seen it think

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Pootybutt posted:

Y'all, I'm asking what the ppl here who've seen it think

Aight I hear you.

They're fun enough, though it does feel a lot like JUNNA does a lot of carrying. I have some of their stuff in the background if I need something upbeat.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Walkure is okay.

My big problem with Delta is how the main characters realize their dreams about 4 episodes in, leaving you with 20+ with no growth. Well, Mirage comes to realize that crushing on a younger subordinate is bad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
walkure themselves were the best part of delta. those ridiculous battlefield concerts with vernier skirts were great.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Hayate only mecha-breakdancing once was a crime.

Delta gave us a Rune Sparkles in September so it was a net good all things considered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3nfweteZck

RangerKarl fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 1, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

walkure themselves were the best part of delta. those ridiculous battlefield concerts with vernier skirts were great.

RangerKarl posted:

Hayate only mecha-breakdancing once was a crime.

I'm still absolutely loving flabbergasted that they came up with concepts this cool and fun, made a rip-roaring banger of a first episode that made me more hype for a Macross series than I have been in a long time, and then completely forgot about and dropped all of this. I could have forgiven Delta's plot for being boring as hell if they had given me more of "guy pilots a valkyrie by pulling sick dance moves" and "battle idols fly around with vernier skirts while singing and assist funnels to rescue people/help out".

I really want to know how we got from the episode 1 we got to where Delta went. Why did they drop the Combat Idol Unit thing completely in favor of having them stand in a plexiglass dome and sing on a stage every episode? Why did they totally forget about the one unique character trait of Hayate's, his dancing(to the point where they coined the term "Immelman Dance" and then stopped using that term after a little bit), in favor of making him as generic and boring as it is possible to be?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

I'm still absolutely loving flabbergasted that they came up with concepts this cool and fun, made a rip-roaring banger of a first episode that made me more hype for a Macross series than I have been in a long time, and then completely forgot about and dropped all of this. I could have forgiven Delta's plot for being boring as hell if they had given me more of "guy pilots a valkyrie by pulling sick dance moves" and "battle idols fly around with vernier skirts while singing and assist funnels to rescue people/help out".

I really want to know how we got from the episode 1 we got to where Delta went. Why did they drop the Combat Idol Unit thing completely in favor of having them stand in a plexiglass dome and sing on a stage every episode? Why did they totally forget about the one unique character trait of Hayate's, his dancing(to the point where they coined the term "Immelman Dance" and then stopped using that term after a little bit), in favor of making him as generic and boring as it is possible to be?

Looking at the timeline, the first episode aired three months before the rest of the show. Going by interviews I've read and timelines I've seen (and Shirobako. Mostly Shirobako) that's plenty of time to adjust a show's trajectory. I haven't seen Japanese response to the start, but if it was as controversial as it was in the western responses I've seen, the writing team might have decided to tone things down to play it safe. And since they'd spent all their interesting ideas on the version of the concept they abandoned... well, we got the Delta we got.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I remember liking Delta while I watched it, but it had the problem that seemingly every macross I like has where the characters I enjoy get shunted off to the side past a point. It's to the point where I just straight up expect it from the series by now.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

macross II was one of the first animes i ever saw and im still sad its been essentially disowned despite its issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cCXCmpx330

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Just found out there was a briefly lived mobile Monster Hunter game that did a crossover with Evangelion and had Evangelion versions of monsters

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

free hubcaps posted:

macross II was one of the first animes i ever saw and im still sad its been essentially disowned despite its issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cCXCmpx330

Isn't Macross II in the Macross games for the PSP?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Gripweed posted:

Just found out there was a briefly lived mobile Monster Hunter game that did a crossover with Evangelion and had Evangelion versions of monsters

...Well, that's awesome.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's no surprise Macross can have a banger of a first episode. It has to both serve as a mini-intro to the franchise itself as well as an intro to that particular show's elements. I don't remember 7 well enough to comment but Frontier and Delta had absolute crazy good first episodes. It's just... well, you can't really just do something in the flavor of the first episode over and over and over. There was some interesting talk about humanity's song imperialism but in the end it was just talk from the new kids on the block playing at big bad evil empire.

Frontier already had a ton of bad guys massacring non-named characters with ease but Delta took that to a new level of silly. But rather than a horde of bugs (that you can assume some are killed in the fight), it's the same half-dozen guys over and over again having no difficulty killing hundreds if not thousands of people as easily as one eats breakfast. Look, Isamu clowning on a bunch of zentradi in an asteroid field is a great sequence but the action is managed well because Isamu is defying death by a narrow margin each time before diving into another similar situation. The Windys have no such difficulty and their displays of fleet destruction just feel excessive instead.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Argas posted:

It's no surprise Macross can have a banger of a first episode. It has to both serve as a mini-intro to the franchise itself as well as an intro to that particular show's elements. I don't remember 7 well enough to comment but Frontier and Delta had absolute crazy good first episodes. It's just... well, you can't really just do something in the flavor of the first episode over and over and over. There was some interesting talk about humanity's song imperialism but in the end it was just talk from the new kids on the block playing at big bad evil empire.

Frontier already had a ton of bad guys massacring non-named characters with ease but Delta took that to a new level of silly. But rather than a horde of bugs (that you can assume some are killed in the fight), it's the same half-dozen guys over and over again having no difficulty killing hundreds if not thousands of people as easily as one eats breakfast. Look, Isamu clowning on a bunch of zentradi in an asteroid field is a great sequence but the action is managed well because Isamu is defying death by a narrow margin each time before diving into another similar situation. The Windys have no such difficulty and their displays of fleet destruction just feel excessive instead.

My point of contention isn't really that you need to duplicate the first episode over and over, it's that the first episode of Delta introduced major stylistic concepts - Walkure is a frontline combat idol group that actively participates in combat like the Sound Force in 7, Hayate's idiosyncratic piloting style draws heavily from his personal interactions and feelings about music - that were almost completely dropped. 7 and Frontier didn't really have huge sweeping changes in the core concepts of the show like that.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Semi related, but apparently the Gameboy advance version of robotech macross is dropping on Nintendo switch eshops across the world. It's made it to Australia and Europe shops so far.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Do not give Harmony Gold your money for that game.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Do not give Harmony Gold your money

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I wonder what steps would have to be taken to make HG give up the rights, like if some rich obsessed mecha fan wanted to force their hands by deliberately tanking all their investment portfolios or something

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I wonder what steps would have to be taken to make HG give up the rights

I'd tell you but I'd get banned

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder what steps would have to be taken to make HG give up the rights, like if some rich obsessed mecha fan wanted to force their hands by deliberately tanking all their investment portfolios or something

The real answer is "rich obsessed mecha fan gives them a huge dump truck full of money"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Too much for what it is which is basically a legal cookblock in ip rights and indirectly responsible for banning possibly all future macross in srw as an example.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
More money than that, they've been collecting on those rights for decades and all signs point to them intending to carry on doing so.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I feel it is very very bad that macross is banned internationally because some hick of a judge in the american south decided "no, this american company owns this japanese animation"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Someone should do something about this.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

End copywrite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
My favorite Gundam side character: End Copywrite.