Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I wonder what steps would have to be taken to make HG give up the rights, like if some rich obsessed mecha fan wanted to force their hands by deliberately tanking all their investment portfolios or something

Harmony Gold is a mafia front company so not exactly easy to take down legitimately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
didn't they somehow get their rights to macross renewed a few years back? no one could explain why that happened.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I remember reading that they're basically a housing ponzi scheme at this point or something, is that just something I made up, or a real thing?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

didn't they somehow get their rights to macross renewed a few years back? no one could explain why that happened.

The explanation that makes sense is that their contract was written such they had unilateral rights to renew it. Which sucks immensely.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-robotechmacross-license-has-been-extended-exclusive/

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

I loving hate how positive that article is.

"Yune assures that Harmony Gold isn’t trying to hide any version of the Japanese series and in fact more credit will be given to Tatsunoko on future products. For the past few years only Harmony Gold was credited on various products released."

This right here is a lie, they sue anything that even looks vaguely similar to Macross so you know if anyone tried to get the licence to Frontier or something they'd sue. Looks like those DVDs of Macross, Macross Plus and Macross II are all we're going to have.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The only good thing Robotech ever got us was that PS2 game

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

The only good thing Robotech ever got us was that PS2 game

INCORRECT

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

i have a copy of macross 30 for ps3 somewhere and that game is dope af

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

free hubcaps posted:

i have a copy of macross 30 for ps3 somewhere and that game is dope af

I got a copy I barely used, since there's an english wiki.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The psp frontier games were pretty cool too. Ace combat in figther mode and gundam vs. Style in batteroid mode. Ger walk let's you hover around like a helicopter

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

The psp frontier games were pretty cool too. Ace combat in figther mode and gundam vs. Style in batteroid mode. Ger walk let's you hover around like a helicopter

Artdink's mecha games for psp were great and it's a shame we only got a single Gundam game on Vita since then.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I got a copy I barely used, since there's an english wiki.

you can cast magic micromissiles from your spirit power, that's pretty cool.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Kanos posted:

I'm still absolutely loving flabbergasted that they came up with concepts this cool and fun, made a rip-roaring banger of a first episode that made me more hype for a Macross series than I have been in a long time, and then completely forgot about and dropped all of this. I could have forgiven Delta's plot for being boring as hell if they had given me more of "guy pilots a valkyrie by pulling sick dance moves" and "battle idols fly around with vernier skirts while singing and assist funnels to rescue people/help out".

I really want to know how we got from the episode 1 we got to where Delta went. Why did they drop the Combat Idol Unit thing completely in favor of having them stand in a plexiglass dome and sing on a stage every episode? Why did they totally forget about the one unique character trait of Hayate's, his dancing(to the point where they coined the term "Immelman Dance" and then stopped using that term after a little bit), in favor of making him as generic and boring as it is possible to be?

Right?! The first ep of Delta is a slam dunk and the song in it is a bop and then... that just stops forever immediately?

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Midjack posted:

Artdink's mecha games for psp were great and it's a shame we only got a single Gundam game on Vita since then.

Not only that but it was the SEED vs SEED Destiny game that somehow had less features than the SEED PSP game that came before it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, with the final release date announced and my fear of the Eva thread intact, I finally watched the third Eva movie and...

I didn't hate it!

I can understand why people did, mind. The first half of the film is just Shinji getting yelled at, jerked around, and tossed from place to place without a clear explanation of what the hell happened, even when a quick barked out explanation would have done a lot more to accomplish people's goals than just being an rear end in a top hat in silence. We also don't get anything to really connect us to the WILLIE crew, despite them seeming really important for about a third of the movie... before vanishing pretty much entirely.

Touji's sister gets just enough that the viewer could connect with her, but it doesn't really pay off, especially since we don't really get confirmation on what happened to Touji. (Just going by the film rather than promotional material for the next one, he's probably not dead from how how Sakura refers to him and how she's the only person in the crew without a grudge against Shinji.)

It's only halfway in we get any grounding, and that's plenty of time for people to check out, even if we got more than, what, a quarter of what happened? Still, once Shinji jumps ship to Gendo's team, he (and the audience) starts actually getting answers and clear(ish) goals. Sure, everyone's manipulating him from the shadows, or being manipulated (Kaworu), but there's actual explanations for things and people doing more than just calling him an idiot and shoving explosives onto him. We also get the Rei Q plotline, which is the part of the film that actually lets Shinji be a character rather than a ping-pong ball, complete with ever-escalating despair. Shinji and Rei's relationship, however it goes, is the main through-line of the rebuilds, and it's probably the best part of this one. (While the show leans on Asuka and Shinji, it feels rather vestigial in the films. Sure, we get some scenes in 2 to confirm she's still got feelings for him of some kind, and he cares about her to some extent, it doesn't really have much impact on the narrative.)

As for the look of the thing, seeing more from Kazuya Tsurumaki is always a treat, but the fights, when they come, didn't have the grounding to really draw me in. It was unclear what everyone could do, what they wanted, or how anyone would win, so figuring out how things were going was more effort than it was worth.

And the ending... all the leads being together again, heading off while in the middle of fraught emotional developments is interesting, but it's a pretty awkward place to ditch for eight years, and the big action part of the thing just... stops, with no clue how things are going to get moving again, or what anyone is planning.

Overall... I have no idea. Except that, good or bad, it's pretty much inevitable the finale is going to piss people off.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Shinji getting yelled at, jerked around, and tossed from place to place without a clear explanation of what the hell happened, even when a quick barked out explanation would have done a lot more to accomplish people's goals than just being an rear end in a top hat in silence.

so, business as usual. sometimes i think misato is a worse person than gendo.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Honestly she just annoyed the poo poo out of me in 3 when in 2 she was literally cheerleading shinji to do the thing she is now mad about.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

I can understand why people did, mind. The first half of the film is just Shinji getting yelled at, jerked around, and tossed from place to place without a clear explanation of what the hell happened, even when a quick barked out explanation would have done a lot more to accomplish people's goals than just being an rear end in a top hat in silence.

This was the really weird part of the movie for me - it felt super stilted to have everyone refuse to even mention to Shinji what the hell they're mad about and what's going on. Blaming him? Sure. Hating him? Fine. But you'd think at least one of them would go "we hate you because you loving blew up the world", or something along those lines, instead of deliberately dancing around the issue so they could have a big reveal later from completely different characters.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Artum posted:

Honestly she just annoyed the poo poo out of me in 3 when in 2 she was literally cheerleading shinji to do the thing she is now mad about.

while I agree with you on that, I'd say living 14 years on a post apocalyptic earth will do that to you

Also, one of the things that could be noted is that Shinji is called "subject BM03, tentative name Shinji Ikari". That means they managed to get 2 other things from the 01's core before.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Watched what there was of the pacific rim anime last night so I can confirm it is extremely "the pacific rim anime". It ends a bit suddenly though so its gonna suck waiting for season 2. It clears the admittedly extremely low bar of being better than uprising and Jaegers are still extremely good for wow cool robot.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Artum posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was irritated by her hypocrisy.

I hope she gets redeemed in 3.0+1.0

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Misato is an adult, and as Tomino tells us, adults are the enemy.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Schwarzwald posted:

tomino would make a great adult agent in the knd.

why do i remember that

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I've talked about it before, but I love how IBO plays with the usual Gundam depictions of "children" and "adults". It's a big contrast from, say, ZZ.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I watched The Wings of Rean yesterday. It's pretty bad! I'd only recommend it to Aura Battler Dunbine fans who are curious to see a another take on the setting.

The best comparison is "if Aura Battler Dunbine is Zeta Gundam, then The Wings of Rean is F91." It has F91's horrible pacing issues as a baseline. For context: I'm an F91 apologist. I quite like it!

Unfortunately, the F91 comparison falls very short of capturing all of Rean's problems. Rean is also rather ugly and tells its story very ineffectively. The mid-2000s character designs are a huge drawback for me. Everyone looks flat, expressionless, and lifeless. The mech CG is also disappointing in most scenes.

The characters are also far more one-note than F91. F91 spends time exploring the family issues for both Seabook and Cecily. F91 does a pretty good job of conveying its themes. The Wings of Rean is pulled in many directions and mostly falls apart. You can kinda see what it was going for with Aesap, Lyukus, and Shinjiro. Everyone else is pretty much totally extraneous to the thematic core. So much screentime is spent on events that don't really matter, like the manipulative queen and the American carrier group trying to secede from the US. Even the rebellion forces from Byston Well accomplish basically nothing and have no effect on the plot.

Thematically, Dunbine has always felt a bit more focused on empire-building than Gundam. It's an interesting choice to make the major character of Shinjiro be an imperial Japanese soldier who wants to get back to the real world. Episode 5 touches on this the most and is by far the best episode for it. Episode 6 then has Shinjiro see all of the changes of the modern world. He flies into a uncontrollable rage and we get a weird plot about him trying to destroy Tokyo and then saving it from a nuke from the ultra nationalist modern side characters. It really doesn't come together well.

I think the show was trying to say "nationalists loving suck" but it was also weirdly sympathetic to them.

The ending also has a last-minute out of nowhere "gently caress you" to the "romance subplot" (Lyukus making out with Aesap for ~20 seconds of screentime during the huge battle) which is kinda hilarious.

This doesn't even touch on the weird bad poo poo like the childlike fairies being forced into prostitution. Easily the worst Tomino directed thing I've seen. Maybe it's more fun if you've read the light novels.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's probably better than Garzey's Wing at least lol

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Yeah, I'm curious to check out Garzey's Wing now to see which is worse.

The Wings of Rean's saving grace is that it's 6 episodes total, around ~2 hours complete runtime. I don't really regret watching it. There's some neat behind the scenes bits on the DVDs too.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
do the dub of garzey's wing, it's high level content

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

brainwrinkle posted:

This doesn't even touch on the weird bad poo poo like the childlike fairies being forced into prostitution.

what

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I suspect the fairy stuff is supposed to be a comfort women metaphor. While at the rebel camp, three rebel soldiers make a pass at the fairy accompanying Lyukus and she turns them down saying "I have the right to choose too" angrily. The soldiers seem surprised that she would decline.

Later, Shinjiro sends a plane full of prisoner fairies to release to the rebels as a sign of goodwill when accepting their surrender (this was a plot to surprise attack the rebels and destroy the plane to make them hate him to get more aura power). There's a conversation on the plane between the fairies saying that they've done no bad things to humans, only pleasant things.

It's very bad and weird and perhaps illustrates how the plot and themes gets pulled in many competing directions without accomplishing much.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I watched some of Yamato Takeru, a 90s fantasy/scifi mecha that had an OP I liked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONyz8CwFpa0

The character designs are unique and fun, the mecha are designs by Koichi Ohata and are all god tier, its based on Japanese myth and works that into the plot really well, for instance the main mecha is named Susano-oh, and the first thing they do upon activation is destroy a bunch of farmland, just like Susano-oh in myth! It's by largely the same people who worked on Mashin Hero Wataru and Mado King Granzort, but seems like it's aimed a slightly higher age range than those shows, with more humanoid mecha rather than SD designs and a serial fantasy story based on myth with minimal gags. Unfortunately the show is pretty dry as a result, it's pretty standard kids fare with enough occasional outstanding animation or interesting episodes to almost keep my interest but the glacial progression of the plot (the heroes are supposed to gather 7 gems to reawaken the true power of their mecha and save the world, and a third of the way in they haven't talked about this plot point at all again) and the moronic ways it keeps plot twists from occuring too early (one of the leads is actually a traitor serving the villain, and consistently demonstrates that they're an obvious traitor such as knowing an inordinate amount of information about the lead mecha, knowing and talking to all the bad guys constantly, and being sketchy in general but nobody ever figures it out even though one of the characters is smart enough to figure out any other plot twist) and also there's an old man who sexually harasses girls and doesn't do anything else really. It's also used the same enemy of the week for six episodes which is a little tiring. Basically it's on hold indefinitely unless I feel it calling me again.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

GorfZaplen posted:

I watched some of Yamato Takeru, a 90s fantasy/scifi mecha that had an OP I liked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONyz8CwFpa0

The character designs are unique and fun, the mecha are designs by Koichi Ohata and are all god tier, its based on Japanese myth and works that into the plot really well, for instance the main mecha is named Susano-oh, and the first thing they do upon activation is destroy a bunch of farmland, just like Susano-oh in myth! It's by largely the same people who worked on Mashin Hero Wataru and Mado King Granzort, but seems like it's aimed a slightly higher age range than those shows, with more humanoid mecha rather than SD designs and a serial fantasy story based on myth with minimal gags. Unfortunately the show is pretty dry as a result, it's pretty standard kids fare with enough occasional outstanding animation or interesting episodes to almost keep my interest but the glacial progression of the plot (the heroes are supposed to gather 7 gems to reawaken the true power of their mecha and save the world, and a third of the way in they haven't talked about this plot point at all again) and the moronic ways it keeps plot twists from occuring too early (one of the leads is actually a traitor serving the villain, and consistently demonstrates that they're an obvious traitor such as knowing an inordinate amount of information about the lead mecha, knowing and talking to all the bad guys constantly, and being sketchy in general but nobody ever figures it out even though one of the characters is smart enough to figure out any other plot twist) and also there's an old man who sexually harasses girls and doesn't do anything else really. It's also used the same enemy of the week for six episodes which is a little tiring. Basically it's on hold indefinitely unless I feel it calling me again.

I randomly ended up with a figure of that show's main mech back as a kid, kid me just thought he was a bootleg of Cell or something

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1369425026504683524?s=20

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Of course he is.

I bet he's a stalker.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fafner the Beyond episode 7 has been subbed! https://nyaa.si/view/1355681

I would like to note that Fafner the Beyond is not officially licensed so I would appreciate if the garbage fail mod didn't gently caress with my post again.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Mister Olympus posted:

do the dub of garzey's wing, it's high level content

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Droyer posted:

I would like to note that Fafner the Beyond is not officially licensed so I would appreciate if the garbage fail mod didn't gently caress with my post again.

Duly noted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Droyer posted:

Great to see this back, even if it's been so long that I forgot some details. Thankfully, quite a bit did come back during the episode itself, but man, I had entirely forgotten Fafner was a thing.

Full power Kazuki is terrifying and I love the Mark Alles.