Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
What show are you referring to, for those of us who don't know every anime character on sight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
What's the consensus on BBK/BRNK? I've been watching it and enjoying it so far. I like how the Oubu(sp?) looks, it sorta reminds me of Syd Mead's designs for the Turn A Gundam and Turn X, especially in the head.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It's pretty legit. Very super robot, though. It's basically "what if Giant Robo was five teens" but it turns out Giant Robo is the Turn X.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
BBK/BRNK is quickly becoming the show I look forward to the most every week. That being said, if I never saw another girl who worships her elder brother in a "no it's totally not sexual" way again I think it'd be too soon.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Like that's ever stopped anyone before. At least they're not the brother and sister kid prodigies from GunxSword.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It was mostly because the first time they summoned Oubu, all the kids were on the outside of the suit, GR style. but yeah, that comparison's sort of fallen apart. I don't know any more about the show than anyone else, I just think it's pretty great.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Has anyone seen Fafnir? Is it any good? I know it's got those ultra divisive Seed/sCRYed character designs but I figured if it's got two sequel series it might be worth at least a look.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Nobody mentioned it so I guess I should: BBK/BRNK is back for season 2 and it's pretty good already. Well, except for one character.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I might be alone in feeling this way but I pushed through both Gun and Diebuster recently and found them both kinda lacking. I feel weird feeling that way knowing how influential Gunbuster was on the whole mecha genre, but I had a lot of problems reconciling the ways the characters acted with the things they were actually doing, and the whole plot of space monsters attacking the Earth for the reasons they did only keeps together if you held your breath. I know that Diebuster lost me when they started making black holes into planets in the Solar System; that's just dumb. Tying the endings together was pretty darn cool, though.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Schwarzwald posted:

So I guess this is a thing.

Those all look like roughly the same robot. Why is everyone so drat red?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I was pleasantly surprised how good Kuromukuro turned out to be. I hope it gets a follow up.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I just finished Majestic Prince last night and I really enjoyed it, but I could seriously do without the whole "guess the genitals" plot for Ange. I'm glad it didn't last long, but I'd really hope that by 2110 the students of an elite military school could have some goddamn decorum.

I'm just sort of making my way through Crunchyroll's "mecha" category right now. I feel like they haven't updated the genre listings in years, though; there's like thirty shows in it and I know for a fact that like half their Gundam series aren't on the list.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
25 was, but the movie wasn't. Is there anywhere I can stream it legally?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

dogsicle posted:

If you want to find something your best bet is to just go to the page that shows all of their current catalog in an alphabetical list.

This is both true and the dirt worst. I mostly watch stuff on Android TV and if you add a show to your queue it has to reload the entire alphabetical list. Weirdly, if you just back out, it's fine and you can pick up scrolling where you left off.

I was going to watch Linebarrels of Iron next but I did an episode of that and I don't think I'll be going back unless someone can convince me it gets way better. I think I'm gonna watch Gasaraki next, because being moderately confused really beats hating everything that's going on.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Pureauthor posted:

I think to fully enjoy Dai-Guard you have to accept that past a point it's really becomes a show more about dealing with the red tape surrounding the proper use of a privately owned giant robot than it is about using a giant robot to kill monsters.

That sounds loving radical, to be honest. Does it stream anywhere?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Dai-Guard. It's really good. Way lighter tone, but it has a very "what if NERV had to actually deal with bureaucracy" kinda vibe to it.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
IBO is cool and good and it's nice to see a Gundam show not be explicitly about beam spam or the same "psychics awaken and change everything through space love" plot. It's not for everybody but folks should give it the ol' three episode try before dismissing it. The English dub changes some of the name pronunciation pretty dramatically but is otherwise fine.

Knight's & Dragons, however, is a big dumb trainwreck of a show. The framing device used is super flimsy and the show might be better without it and it spends waaaaaaaaay too much time showing us how much better a mecha otaku would be than guys who've spent their whole lives building mecha. If it were just a show about a mecha arms race in a fantasy setting, I think it would be better. Ernie and the siblings are also mostly unlikeable characters. I'mma keep watching it though because it doesn't look like there's a lot of mecha anime happening this season at all, and it's not aggressively bad the way Argevollen was.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So are there any mecha series on streaming services this season besides Gundam spin-offs and Knight's & Magic?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Darth Walrus posted:

What I watched of ID-0 was pretty fun, if you can get past the full CG.

I'll look into that one, thanks. Netflix's browsing interface is a slog so I must have missed it.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
What's the best way to get familiar with Mazinger? I feel like it's something I should see but I feel like there's an imposingly large number of adaptations of it.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Is Shin the one up on Crunchyroll? I remember watching about two thirds of the first episode and being absolutely lost.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Schwarzwald posted:

The first episode is basically a 30 minute long trailer that forecasts events that don't end up happening. Skip it.

I sorta believe that from what I saw. Thanks, everybody, I'll give it another shot.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I think that's further into Argevollen than I got. I got really excited for the chunky mech designs and then the main suit looks like a rejected Kamen Rider spinoff design. Nobody has any charisma either, and I really wasn't given much of a reason to care about the conflict either.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Relin posted:

is l-gaim any good? i want it to be good

I've been really enjoying it. It's pretty mild Tomino, I think I'm like 22 episodes in and the only person who bought it died pretty much at the start of the whole thing. The entire first arc is the hero trying to return a guy's ATM card, if that's any indication.

You can also see a lot of proto-Zeta in the mecha designs, which is cool as hell, and the first opening song is honestly one of my favorites.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Schwarzwald posted:

There's actually an English version of the OP and it's actually rad as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhUkRN4TMxI

What's better is that MIQ did both versions and apparently is fluently bilingual. She also did the themes for Dunbine, but that doesn't have a vocoder going HEAVY METAL in it.

Edit: I watched all of ID-0 in two nights based on how much I'd enjoyed BBK/BRNK and that sure is a mecha anime. It's not bad in any outstanding way but it was kinda generic. The designs and the mecha control system were pretty neat but it still feels like the CG for the characters and the CG for the mecha were done by two different teams that shot for two different framerates when they were rendering. Also one of the most drastic differences in quality between the OP and ED tracks as well.

OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzfVwKcDduA

ED:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LthTqwR4U9o

Like what the gently caress are those vocals, seriously?

The Muffinlord fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 11, 2018

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'm gonna recommend Kuromukuro as well, and if you like that, maybe check out Bubuki/Buranki as well. There's not much thematically linking them but I really enjoyed both shows. The second intro to BBK/BRNK is also really good, IMO.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I like when the robots fold their arms and stand there like cool dudes

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
GunXsword is pretty good.

L-Gaim is also good:
https://twitter.com/muffinlordSA/status/965070501067542528?s=19

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Gen:Lock has been a consistently entertaining show so far. I wish the Holons had more visually distinct designs but I'll take what I can get, especially considering the production of that last episode. That time-lapse shot looked like it took some effort to produce, and did anyone else notice the deer when the Holons were coming out of the base? That deer had to be a line item.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So my four year old is way into reviews of robot toys, and it's forcing me to confront some really hard questions about what it means to be a parent. Specifically, why does every combining mecha need to have a drill tank? Can anyone tell me what started this obsession with a vehicle that, as far as I can tell, doesn't exist? I know there are huge tunnel drilling machines and such that would fit the bill but I've never in my life seen an actual tank with a huge screw drill on the front.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'm kinda stuck on what show to pursue next. I spent way too long on Votoms (most of a year, I wasn't really into it) and then burned through Martian Successor Nadesico in a few weeks. Of what's on VRV, I'm waffling between Sakura Wars and Godannar. Am I going to get totally turned off on Sakura Wars if the theater troupe concept doesn't do it for me out of the gate? Is there anything to Godannar besides being uncomfortably hornt?

Edit: or is there something else i should try? Before this it was Patlabor, which was a lot of fun. I think I'd like more in that vein, if it's out there.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I've seen Big O and Diebuster, but Giant Gorg has been on my list forever. Maybe it's time. Thanks for the recs, y'all.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I mean in Gundam 0083 they all act like children...

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Regarding Back Arrow, what's the over/under on the Granedger being able to transform? I swear it looks like it has fists coming out the back.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
It's not bad but it definitely would have benefitted from a few more episodes. They hinged a lot on that second season that's certainly not happened yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

wielder posted:

This episode of Back Arrow is finally cashing several checks (mecha-related and otherwise) that folks may have feared were going to bounce, so I'm happy.

Can't hurt that, whenever this actually gets into some SRW title (preferably not the mobile ones, if I had to choose), there'll be a growing number of cool units to use.

It sure did! It's still dumb as hell but it keeps being fun to watch. Just turn your brain off for the ride and you'll have fun, I think.