Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

muike posted:

I really liked Gasaraki

I was just thinking of that in context of the "no flying" question, but then I couldn't remember whether the opposing force mechs got flight packs.

Anyway, I liked parts of Gasaraki a lot and disliked parts of it just as strongly, so it's a mixed bag for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
He was ordered to wear a sweater whose details were kept from him.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Wanting to reference that line aside, I think it actually looks fine. Also, given what Gotho considers befitting a successful war-profiteer businessman, it's positively understated.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Kanos posted:

They are really important in the early arcs of the show before Chirico made contact with Fyana. They gave him something to give a poo poo about when he was basically a dead man walking, and all of the moments where Chirico begins to show emotions for the first time are because of them.
Yeah, considering how it could have gone if it was just Chirico and Fyana, I don't think it would feel right. It feels like the only reason that he can take those first few steps is that they won't leave him alone. That they keep tagging along regardless of whether he engages back is what puts the first few cracks in that shell.

Also, I really like Gotho, Vanilla, and Coconna. Gotho's wardrobe alone is worthwhile!

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Holy loving poo poo Armor Hunter Mellowlink :stare: This show owns

Dessel posted:

Yeah, that show is incredible and I adore the 80's style ED to bits. It really feels like it took the VOTOMS universe and just made a way better show than the original.

Is it just me or have we been lacking any good new IP or even decent trainwreck mecha shows as of few years?

There's Gundam/Macross but both are established IP. Both IBO and the"legacy" Gundam shows are both at least decent. Delta wasn't horrible but it petered out.

New IP's that I can think of are Aldnoah Zero (kinda trainwrecky but entertaining) Argevollen (extremely boring and generic but somewhat accurate portrayal of military. I actually found it genuinely interesting a show but it was generic/boring to a fault). Kuromukuro was mediocre at best, too. Heavy Object was horrible and I stuck with it way too long. Valvrave was pure trainwreck. Honestly the one new IP I can look kinda positively in an unreserved fashion is Gargantia. I have a hard time actually calling Sidonia a mecha show.

I guess I'm hopelessly trying to catch the same feeling I got when I discovered NGE as it was my first anime I actually watched. Unfortunately I was also the right age of Gundam SEED/Destiny right as they broadcast and I actually enjoyed them - they were actually the first Gundam shows I saw. I've since watched 08th MS Team but not the Gundam classics at all. I consumed RahXephon and Code Geass roughly at the same time. Since then there was the obvious Gurren Lagann which led me to check Gun/Diebuster. It actually took me over a year to warm for Gurren Lagann to finish it and then over a year ago I took the plunge to Patlabor and VOTOMS.

I guess I should start checking for more of the golden classics. I am genuinely wondering though whether I have a subjective bias in thinking there's a lack of actual new and good mecha IP or is this a trend the genre fans acknowledge?

I don't like Mellowlink as much as mainline VOTOMS, but they're both good and worth a watch. Mellowlink is more consistent (helped by its shorter duration and the fact that it's basically an 80s action movie), but VOTOMS is... weird. And I like its weirdness. It's kind of tone deaf, and Chirico is a cipher, and there's the comedy-relief trio, and it gets really 70s sci-fi at the end, and the episode previews are hilarious, etc, etc. VOTOMS is just very VOTOMS.

(Secretly, I think I just like the VWEEEEEEEE sound the Scopedogs make when they're scooting around)

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Lemon-Lime posted:

You've mentioned it and now it's stuck in my head and will be all day, you dick. :(
BA-ba-ba-BAA ba-ba-BAAA ba-ba-bararararara!

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I guess it's been too long since I've watched Dai-Guard
You weren't that off the mark: the first version of the Knot Punisher didn't have hands, but the upgraded version added them back on.

Dai-Guard is a fun show. I dislike the art style for the characters, but it's definitely fun.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Raxivace posted:

I watched the first five episodes of VOTOMS. They...were good!

I was confused by episode 2 though. Who shot the Mad Max biker guy at the end?
Are you watching the next episode previews? Because you should be watching the next episode previews.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
No, they're just delightful.

"Evil and treachery, corruption and confusion. All ground together as though poured from the same concrete mixer. Melkiah's very own Gomorrah."
"Chirico drinks, and the coffee of Woodo is bitter indeed."

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Sakurazuka posted:

Watch the original 60's The Prisoner
This is just a good recommendation in general.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Look, when you go to the trouble of printing out your zine, you want literally anyone to take a copy.

(I'm enjoying this Big O discussion, because it's been years since I've watched it and it has a warm, fuzzy place in my heart)

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Genuinely sad to hear about this; dude is a legend.

His Turn-A and Turn-X designs are just phenomenal.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Fivemarks posted:

Kaiketsu Zubat is actually amazing.
Kaiketsu Zubat is way more goofy and way more badass than I think anybody could imagine.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

-Certified Banger (S)-
Turn A Turn (Turn A Gundam OP1)
:hmmyes:

That "Turn A... Gundam" at the beginning is such an unexpected hook, haha. I love it.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
There will be someone out there who will disagree with anything that gets suggested, but for my money, it's gonna be Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still. It's so good in so many categories: the retro aesthetic and smooth animation, the phenomenal soundtrack, the bombastic climax in episode 6. I can think of some criticisms (not especially mecha-focused, the cameos from Yokoyama's other works can be jarring, etc), but overall it's the strongest one that jumps to mind.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Pyronic posted:

Chiming back in with Dai-Guard, the mecha show about a salaryman who pilot's his company's mascot, a real super robot against interdimensional aliens.

Like What if 10 years from now Bandai was like "oops Yokohama Gundam is fully functional"
The theme song is also impossibly catchy.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I appreciate both the analysis and sassy captions of your RahXephon write ups so far!

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Schwarzwald posted:

Episode 19, "Blue Friend — Ticket To Nowhere," is largely considered the high point of the series.
It's probably been more than 15 years since I've watched RahXephon, and thinking about Episode 19 while reading your writeup still gave me a visceral melancholy feeling. It's a really strong episode.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Snidhog posted:

Gen:LOCK was cool, as was the whole consciousness transfer aspect, but +1 for it desperately needing a 2nd season and actually examining who the antagonists are/what they want/etc.
Absolutely this.

I really like post-human sci-fi bullshit, so I was really interested in Julian's whole situation. But similar to above, they staged a bunch of questions about that without having the time to properly explore them afterward.

Also, I thought the personalized mech designs were lackluster at best. The color-coded generic mechs they had earlier felt more consistent with the setting to me.

Pyronic posted:

This is 100% of the reason Power Armor (as a subset of mecha) is a lot more popular in the west.

But yeah gimme Robot Jox any day of the week.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Her work on Turn-A is very good, though. Moon is up there with her best work, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I've been reading the Ishikawa Getter manga series for the first time recently (like, in the last month), and I've just been going in publication order and having a great time. Also, they're not super long, so it's easy to pick up a part and just power through it.

Getter Robo Go is WILD