Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think Neo Getter Robo vs Shin Getter Robo is the best introduction to the Getter franchise, personally. It's only four episodes long, introduces all of the main cast, and tells a story that covers all the beats of the manga. It's also a very gorgeous anime, has a killer soundtrack and is just loads of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Mecha anime is bad and for babies, except for Platlabor which is good.

Eugh

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

TheManSeries posted:

So recently my roommate made me watch Cyber City Ouedo. Man that show was fun.

It's the best cyberpunk anime, frankly.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Gunbuster is absolutely a fantastic show, but I have really mixed feelings about Diebuster. It just wasn't as good a show.

I used to think so too, but I liked it even more on a rewatch. Try it again sometime!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm gonna rewatch Imagawa's Tetsujin-28 once I catch up with all the simulwatches.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I tried to write up a thing about how I think giant robots are well equipped to explore certain sets of themes, but I realized that in almost all my examples the giant robots had nothing to do with it

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

For example, the scene in Dougram where a father and son on opposing sides of the war come together and affirm their love for one another as human beings is way more important to demonstrating the themes of the show than any of the battles, save one.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I fell out of robots anime because I realized this eventually also.

Originally I was really attached to them because robots are power fantasy. They are power fantasy with a physical and prominent manifestation of that power inherent to the design, like a knight's suit of armor the object by itself is a physical display of power. Unlike knights and other power fantasy where the ability to wield power comes from birth or experience and education, robots are more egalitarian. In theory anybody can operate the machine, its an empty shell that can be filled by your wil. That transferable aspect of power is similar to the attractiveness of power held by a gun. Its a simple tool that can level a complicated playing field. That aspect was really attractive to me as a child and a minority, a double whammy of feeling powerless in a complicated world.

I'm not sure how to word it, but this post resonates really strongly with me. Thank you.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Srice posted:

Hmm

Votoms
Xabungle
Patlabor (Not counting that one mech in the tv series but it was intentionally ridiculous compared to what they had)
Galient
Dougram
Broken Blade maybe? (I only saw a few of those movies, not all of them)
Argevollen (lack of air travel was actually a factor for that show too)

I am sure there are a few I'm missing that could make 10

Big O!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's been awhile since I watched it, but I think only one robot in Gun x Sword could fly.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Escaflowne is a really cool anime. That's all I got

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Actually I lied:

muike posted:

Yes I'd say this is a major problem with the genre (and not just this genre, anything else that falls into the kind of genre/literary divide that i mentioned before) and it's almost historical. It's strange when even shows that are, nominally, not toy commercials, still find themselves hitting the same pitholes that the Literal Actual Toy Commercials did, and it's because it's what the creators and producers grew up with and it's like a negative feedback loop. A rock being run smooth of all its intricacies and differentiating qualities by a river current.

Something I really appreciate about Yasuhiro Imagawa is that even though all of his mecha anime are adaptations of old material, he always takes them in a new direction rather than retell old stories. He turned Tetsujin-28, the original simple punching robot, into a post war thriller with complex and layered themes. He turned Mazinger into whatever Shin Mazinger is. He's a really next level guy and I hope he gets to direct an anime adaptation of his titty manga someday.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

muike posted:

imagawa made a titty manga? news to me.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The universal quantifier subs can't come out fast enough.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I liked the badass adoptive dad of the heroine.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Is the Dougram movie just a compilation?

Yes, and not a particularly good one at that. Choro-Q, on the other hand, is mandatory viewing once you finish the series.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The second best headline in the entire show.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

What's the first?

You'll know when it happens.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

There's also a scene where I swear to god that the animator put a picture of his dog in the window of a car. It's too low res to tell, but I can't imagine what else it could be.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It could be any number of things, looking at it now.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Dougram is not a good looking show

There's an episode early on where Crinn is looking extremely buff at first and later, after suffering a defeat, looks weak and childish, and I thought it was a really cool directorial choice until I realized no, it's just early 80s animation.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Eiyu Gaiden Mozaika isn't mecha, for what it's worth, even if it does feature a giant fist battleship.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Srice please add this picture to the OP

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

a kitten posted:

No, this one.

I don't see why they can't both be there.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqsKQ6C-KAo

Here's a parody of the Dunbine OP and Ed, from the 80s.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

lol

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Here is an interview with Yasuhiro Imagawa about the making of G Gundam that was included on the G Gundam DVDs, the /m/ poster that was ripping them said they'd post the rest but never did so I decided to upload what I have. There's a lot of good information here about G Gundam as well as Imagawa himself.

http://imgur.com/a/Sl7sj

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I am breaking my no-posting vacation vow to say that today I learned that Giant Robo is part of my phone's auto correct and suggestions.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's lame

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

:cripes:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The OP for Jinraiger was posted yesterday
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0ZKfanPkJs

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

A year ago, yesterday, lmao

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I've always wondered: is the Discotek release of Shin Mazinger the same as the bluray, with the extended scenes, or is it the TV broadcast version? I didn't buy the DVD when it came out because I couldn't find an answer to this

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

That was Braiger, the first J9 show. The second show featured flying motorcycles that also mass shift into a giant robot. The third featured a space train.

I've been slowly making my through Braiger, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. While it's definitely a formula show, it's a very different formula then most other super robot shows I've seen. I get the feeling that it's very much a genre show, I just don't recognize the genre.

Each J9 show is based on a different theme or series, Braiger is based off of a TV series about assassins, Baxinger is based off of the Shinsengumi and Bakumatsu era, and Sasuraiger is based off of Around the World in 80 Days. Jinraiger is apparently going to be based off of Water Margin.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I want to watch Galvion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7iGZgTdpM0

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

He has an absolutely gigantic body of work, most of which was silly shonen comedy. Just because he's only known in the west for Devilman doesn't mean that darkness is what defines him as an artist.

Not to mention that both Devilman and Violence Jack can both be pretty goofy.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This is pretty old news but Imagawa's Tetsujin 28 is getting a bluray release, eventually
http://www.hmv.co.jp/news/article/1601200003/

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah basically check out all the shows by Ryosuke Takahashi, even the fantasy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Full Metal Panic's been on my to-watch list for years - I'll bump it up, thanks! As for Front Mission: I know nothing about the franchise other than that it has a bunch of video games. Is there anything I need to know before looking for the manga?

Down the list: VOTOMS is amazing and I need to watch more than five episodes of it. I haven't seen Dougram, FLAG, Intrigue in the Bakumatsu (is this the fantasy one you meant?) or Blue Comet SPT Layzner, so they're all on the list now. Blue Gender, however, felt unpleasant to watch of the 2-3 eps I saw, so I won't be back for it.

Am I missing any? I'll probably go for Flag next as it's short and more realistic than the others, which is gonna be a treat after I finish Gasaraki tonight.

Panzer World Galient t is the fantasy one I was talking about