Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hot take: fumoffu was by far the peak of FMP and the Tom Clancy wannabe stuff never did anything but drag it down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I can't wait to get back on mr. lelouch's wild ride

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I have never seen a show so willing or eager to sacrifice literally every interesting story element or plot development it had as AO was. It was almost impressive how much commitment it had to taking the most boring, undramatic, anti-story path possible at every chance.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

also the show literally ends via the main character shooting his problems until they retroactively cease to exist, so, yeah

lot of, uh, interesting subtext to unpack there

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The Dolores, I dub is absolutely magical because it's ADV in full "if we can't voice good we can still voice lots" mode.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Oh yeah, who won?

first american robot got loving clowned on in one hit, second round with the other american robot went to the US after they literally started ripping the kuratas apart with a quarry chainsaw

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Imo the fight scenes in pacific rim 1 were absolutely fine, they were gorgeously lit and very easy to follow, most of the hate on them is more people having a more fundamental dislike of the film (which, tbh, PacRim was pretty mediocre overall) but not being able to adequately describe why, and instead latching on to a seemingly valid criticism without examination.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

tsob posted:

I'm pretty sure that applies to every Eastern robot/monster movie too.

Most of the better godzilla movies share the common thread of having really good human drama for most of the film, actually?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Its almost like the predominantly male and reactionary elements of the fanbase have spent lierally decades trying to erase the legacy of female fans while elevating their own contributions, or something

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Worth noting imo that all the other gundam series to be super popular (seed, wing, etc) also were the series least afraid to engage with and play to the female fanbase, and the ones that end up eating massive poo poo are the ones most heavily focused on merch

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's very very good, but the final arc has been trimmed to the bone and you can tell - I believe they wrote the story assuming they'd get like 50~ eps and instead got 26~ and they scrambled hard. Still, the ending lands and I still love it. Also the music is BALLER

This is a very common rumor, but its completely false - someone asked the director about this at otakon when funimation was hyping up the re-release, and he was pretty clear that what we got was what was always intended, and he has no idea where that rumor got started.

The show still is extremely good though, absolutely worth a buy.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

they're getting a whole loving lot less money from this than the alternative, there's a very wide chunk of Macross that HG has explicitly and specifically said they will never allow to be officially released in America

HG doesn't want potential for big money, they want steady guaranteed money because they're owned by an investment firm that handles retirement funds. They, quite literally, are paid to not give a poo poo.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Armageddon also had a director change after the first three episodes... and they lost all the notes. So, that doesn't help things in being coherent, basically.

By all accounts Imagawa lost the notes on purpose and still cackles about it to this day, even if it was one of a long string of production shenanigans that probably torpedoed his career

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I don't think he cackles about it, or purposefully hosed it over. He's pretty reluctant to talk about it in interviews and typically says that it's best left in the past.

Really? Last time I read an interview on the subject it had a pretty strong vibe of "they wouldn't let me do what I wanted so gently caress em, hope they had fun without any notes." This was like a decade ago, though.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Oh, I found it and read it again and you're right, he says he hopes that it ended up inconsistent. That's a pretty mean thing to say

I mean, I love his work but there's kind of a reason imagawa hasn't had a major project in the last decade

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

To be fair, Five Star Stories in general just laughs at the idea of pacing or structure. Iirc, it literally opens with the ending and the first volume has a timeline of the whole series.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Who knows, maybe this time they'll finally recapture the essence of what made the original show so engagffffffffhahahaha its gonna gently caress completely up, probably in a new and depressing way.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

To be fair cleopatra was of the ptolemaic dynasty, who were a bunch of colonizers installed in the wake of Alexander the Great conquering basically everything, and the time between the pyramids and Cleopatra contained several massive collapses, so it was less a single contiguous empire and more a region that maintained its cultural heritage for thousands of years.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Completely out of left field subject here, but I’ve been playing final fantasy XIV again lately and it occurred to me that this chapter in particular has so many mechs you could probably slot XIV into Super Robot Wars relatively easily, as between the Empire’s various flavors of magitek walkers, the whole Alexander raid concerning a giant super robot full of smaller, also super robots, Omega, and this version of the WEAPONs being just straight up mecha, with Ruby Weapon even getting a gundam-style launch sequence, its firmly within the genre.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Macross plus, movie or ova? I haven't seen it in ages and don't remember what version I saw, was wondering what the preferred version was.

Movie cuts a lot but also has a significantly better fight between Guld and the drone, so, both? There used to be a fan cut floating around that had all the content of the OVA but also added the additional bits from the movie, but gently caress if I know where to find it these days.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Did Ken Ishikawa leave any notes or the like as to how Arc was originally going to end?

Not complete notes, just sketched out scenes of a few different events like eg the arc crew meeting a resurrected musashi inside the getter emperor, but nothing about the actual intended conclusion that we know of.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Anyway I've been rereading the manga and Getter Robo Go is awesome. Great art, great story, it's crazy to see how much Ken Ishikawa grew as an artist between his debut and Getter Robo Go. Some things ended up being pretty different than I remembered, like the Dinosaur Empire shows up about a volume earlier than I remembered and the ending this time seemed to go really quickly but I was also binging it hard lol, it's basically nonstop action for the last two volumes. I've never actually read Arc so I'm excited to get into it after I reread Shin Getter.

Go is so loving good, the whole sequence where the team is re-entering the original getter labs to get at Shin and everything is just hosed is spectacularly spooky.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Honestly I’d be happier with Go getting a worthy adaptation than Arc, Go is pure getter madness and probably easier to sell as a concept to randos than Arc will

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Technically there’s only like one guy who fights mechs on foot, but he’s such an unbelievable loving badass for doing it that he’s referenced for it through the entire series

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Saw this floating around on the Twitter again and thought its always a fun history lesson for those who don’t know.

https://twitter.com/tayuta0079/status/1350487287252086786?s=21

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I wonder what steps would have to be taken to make HG give up the rights, like if some rich obsessed mecha fan wanted to force their hands by deliberately tanking all their investment portfolios or something

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

It's one of the best looking mecha anime ever made and it's insane it's as good as it is considering the original director walked off with all the scripts three episodes in

I wonder how many drinks you'd need to buy Imagawa to get a peek at those scripts, or if he just burned them out of gleeful spite.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

cannot wait to see how they try to renege on their side of the agreement in like six months

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

good lord those mechs look bad. Even on top of the issue that getter animation has traditionally worked best with smear and stretch tweening, which there's absolutely none of here, the base animation is so bad. Everything is stiff as a board, there's like no texture to speak of, and I'm pretty sure the environmental lighting is somehow being rendered at a different framerate than the actual models.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Zeta Gundam also had a US market OP change.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

What genre do you think devilman crybaby was trying to deconstruct, exactly

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I hate to dampen the arc vibes but I just watched the first episode and does the CG mech animation, like, get better? It's definitely improved over the trailers (and honestly, probably the best I've seen in the genre outside of feature films) but it still doesn't feel great, which is a drat shame because everything else felt extremely :getter: in the most positive sense, aside from not getting to see Takuma beat the poo poo out of the convenience store bandits.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Well, why did he

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

muike posted:

I'm just a sucker for dai sato and chiaki konaka

Oh buddy, oh man

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Not even metaphorically but like textually every Eureka Seven thing directly tries to destroy everything about the first series to the point where the Hi-Evolution movies finally accomplished it by revealing every series, manga, game, and movie in the franchise was just the delusions of Eureka using a magic box after she accidentally murdered Renton

I think it's hard to top that.

ahahahaha :unsmigghh:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Dai Sato why do you hate e7 so much

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

the only eureka seven thing dai sato's had any involvement in since the original tv series is the first hi-evolution movie. not the second or third. this is a touch like asking why yoshiyuki tomino did such a bad job on gundam age.

I avoided the hi-evo movies because the original films and AO were both comically bad but I was under the impression that the return of Dai Sato was supposed to be some selling point, so eh.

quote:

as for the guy who actually wrote the third eureka seven hi-evo movie and was involved in ao, tomoki kyoda, his work on rahxephon definitely shows an interest on weird, hard to parse meta concepts, and eureka seven is far and away the thing he's been involved on with the most cultural cache. so it is imo reasonably that to parley that into the weird artsy poo poo you want to make since its the only way you can get anything greenlit. i also think most of the frustration with eureka seven that's noticeable in the later material can basically be boiled down to that. and again, its not like any of this affects eureka seven in any way whatsoever.

It directly affects it because now every time I tell people about E7 I have to give them a fuckin MSDS packets worth of warnings about what _not_ to watch, which makes people apprehensive. We are at the point where there is markedly more bad eureka seven material than good, which does in fact have a knock-on effect on the reputation of the original series.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

lol

https://twitter.com/showgate_inc/status/1474957553956421637?s=21

lmao

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Wait until you find out about America

While I’m certainly eager and ready to remind people of Americas bloody history and the various crimes of this state and it’s people, America currently is in a lull period between genocidal episodes while China and Russia are currently engaged in open, full-throated ethnic cleansing, which is a bit of a key difference in topicality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Gripweed posted:

If the mass starvation we are currently causing in Afghanistan counts as a "lull" in our genocides

Buddy,