Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Have you seen the ova version? I don't know how different it is but what your describing isn't how I remember plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ash like snow is triple a tier. Daybreak's bell is double s. 00 had some serious bangers for ops

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No joke age actually had some good music. Some people think it also think it had good mechs, those people need a padded cell, but the music lads are alright.

L'arc en ciel is a legit band though. Got me into some cool rear end Japanese rock for a minute

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sordas Volantyr posted:

The one mech I unironically like from AGE is the Dark Hound, because even lovely action-figure-looking bootleg Crossbone has some Crossbone DNA in it

Dark hound is pretty cool it's the genoaces that get me. man what a boring design, and people go crazy for it.

Also the loving spoiler on the AGE 1.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The dub ain't great anyways. Cranston's heart wasn't in it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rahxephon is excellent. One of those shows that's always on my mind for a rewatch.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eureka 7 coulda got on a best of lost if it had been a twenty five episode series.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, the drop in quality is there but way overblown, there's obviously some nonsense meddling with the plot at the beginning and then they have to rush to catch up during the China saga, but they manage it all pretty well. The fights are where it really suffers, pretty much the only memorable fight from R2 is the last one, very dissapointing compared to the fun ground focused tactical fights of the first series.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Holy poo poo non lovely laserdisc rips of mellow link. I'm loving ready

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I mean sheryl is the descendant of the older girls from zero, or the younger or something

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

The younger one. The older girl vanishes into the universe or something.

If only the rest of Macross zero would follow suit.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Getter armageddon is a mess but it's pretty fun.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Big o, no kids only a suave negotiator, a giant robot, a butler with an eye patch, and a robot maid.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Oh poo poo they're getting good translations. That's sick, I read the old awful fantranslations on my psp years ago on a car trip, probably the worst reading experience of my life.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What compelled you to watch 7 before the OG

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think it's weird the franchise is so known for it's triangles, half the series in it the love triangles feel so non existent that you might as well have cut 'em and focused on the real romance.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zero's is also just, what. One of the women is age appropriate and one of 'em is like twelve. Jeez I wonder which one he'll choose?!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's pretty heavily implied that they slept together, from what I remember at least

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The only good thing Robotech ever got us was that PS2 game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The psp frontier games were pretty cool too. Ace combat in figther mode and gundam vs. Style in batteroid mode. Ger walk let's you hover around like a helicopter

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Was the new FMP series good? I already read the novels so I don't need the story if it's good but I wanna see the Levatein in action

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

That would mean you miss out on far too much Savage savagery, though.

FMP spoilers
Did they skip the fight with him in the Savage fighting the mech he usually uses that I can't remember the name of? If so that's lame as hell, I remember reading that in it's extremely poorly translated glory and thinking that it'd be sick as poo poo in an anime

Midjack posted:

It's ok; it goes pretty fast and sticks to the main novels so there's not any comedy interludes with short story adaptations but it covers the plot well enough. It goes through Continuing On My Own, Burning One Man Force, and Come Make My Day. Dancing Very Merry Christmas came between TSR and IV is skipped since it got a radio drama and doesn't have a lot of impact on the overall plot anyway. The Laevatein only gets one fight, in the next to last episode, so if that's what you want you can cut to that one.

That kinda sounds lame, rushing through three lns in 12 episodes seems weak as hell, at least it got finished I guess

Edit: Just downloaded, I didn't realize they used CGI, absolutely unwatchable, I'll just use the LN's as reference

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 14, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

No, the arena fights in the Crossbow and going against the Mithril defector in the M9 still happen, albeit in the space of like 4 episodes so it's kind of fast but still there. And they didn't finish the series, it has another season to go before they make it to the end. The PS4 game isn't a bad way to experience the rest of the plot, and it's even fully voiced in both English and Japanese.
When did this happen? I swear I leave a genre for five minutes and poo poo actually starts getting made.

I am glad people got to experience the end of FMP even if they didn't wanna read the novels, I have some problems with a lot of it, but as a whole it was a good time and people deserve that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Why on Earth are you pre-emptively assuming that they skipped the best bits?

The lad said they skipped Savage Savagery, I assumed they meant the Savage vs Gernsback

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I said that would happen if you jumped to the last episode for the Laevatien.

Ahhhh I feel you now

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

cant get getter robo armageddon intro out of my head send help

Also thrilled at the The Thing episode. I went into this show thinking the robots were too goofy looking but the artists somehow make them super cool
HEATS is loving baller my dude, it was on my workout playlist for ages. Armageddon as a whole is an insanely fun watch even if it's kind of a total mess

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

Mind explaining what you mean in spoilers for me? I'm almost done and yes it's insanely fun, I get pretty good Pacific Rim/G Gundam vibes. I'm definitely checking out some of the other Getter stuff after this

My only complaint is I have no idea who most of these characters are and I can't tell if I lacked Getter background lore or if the narrative is just glossy like that

Like the other dude said the original director took his ball and went home after the third episode which is pretty obvious once you know it cause the tone totally changes, the plot also just wibble wobbles a lot and new peeps show up every ten seconds without good introductions.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sometimes they even like them. Ya just gotta roll with it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ehh they could pull it off, It's not like Geass got very Japan Apoligistic

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why did they do that to my boy?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He looks like teddies persona, and that's gross

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How real you want? Macross is good if you can tolerate some JPop and some dumb bullshit in the sequels, Geass is never really real and abandons the pretense early in season 2 but is a strong show. Big O has a heavy mech which isn't real but it feels good verisimilitudelly

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I honestly couldn't tell you, I know a lot of people like the new gundams and the new macross isn't totally hated, but the Mecha genre as a whole is a lot smaller than it once was. I can tell you Captain Earth was bland as poo poo but that's about the last show I watched as it was airing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eureka Seven straddles the line but might be of interest, It's not got a lot of action but the character work is pretty solid. The sequel and movie are apparently abysmal though I haven't watched so some discretion is advised.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Being anti war when there's giant aliens trying to exterminate your race is pretty loving dumb.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

It's still really funny to me that Macross and Gundam had overlapping shows with PMC protagonists in their last mainline entries.

Macross had the main PMC be purely heroic and noble, with the official military being incompetent at best, and sometimes treated as being shadier than the evil space colonialist empire.

Meanwhile, Gundam had the PMC be basically a Yakuza family, complete with cold blooded vengeance murders and joining up with the shadiest faction in the official military's civil war. It's an amusing contrast.

I feel the diffrence is they had diffrent reasons for using the PMC concept.
In macross frontier at least, it seems like they needed alto to be in the military, but they didn't want to deal with all the social issues coming with that so they make their weird lawful good pmc, of course then they treat alto being folded into NUNS as this turning point later in the show

IBO was exploring the "Dark" underside of society or whatever so you get an intensely nepotistic group of mercenaries who're one hop skip away from being a death cult

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure Kaifun did exactly what was intended of him in the story.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gotta watch Bubblegum crisis if you like powered armor shows

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure I forgot most of akito as I was watching it. It was a very strange and unsatisfying way to expand code grass's universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder if they thought they were gonna get another OVA or a full series afterwords, I can't imagine why they would start dropping all of the mystical stuff otherwise.