Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my like of robots would've probably started with G Gundam, which had really strange but unique design and Imagawa's usual theatrics. when i actually started to explore the genre, it appealed to me in a similar vein as any other action show, because cool stuff and explosions happen. there's also the fact that the robot heyday seemed to be more in the 70's and 80's, both decades with a lot of burgeoning talent and certain styles/limitations that i really have grown to love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

space colonies are definitely cool

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Escaflowne had robots that could fly

e: oh, not if alternate forms don't count i guess

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Transformed into dragons that could fly :black101:

That and the regular Guymelefs flew when all compacted. Didn't the cat assassins have flying robots too?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I wish there was a good model of the basic Guymelef design...they're really cool. :sigh:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Reds posted:

Was there a basic Guymelef, or are you talking about the Melefs, the non-superpowered mooks?

I don't really remember any non-unique Guymelefs other than the empire's ones that could turn invisible and had those floating alt forms. The whole point of Guymelefs was that they were the Overmen to the Melef Silhouette Engines.

I get the feeling that using King Gainer as an example is a poor idea. But you should all go watch Overman King Gainer right now if you haven't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc0rW5fsfxA

apparently I'm thinking of the Alseides (generic Zaibach melefs) though I don't remember hearing that name in the show. certainly not as often as Guymelef/Melef got thrown around.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

what the heck, nobody mentioned Big O

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

CN partially funded the second season, i dunno about anything beyond that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they look like diving suits crossed with Scopedogs. i think i prefer the latter though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

So this may have slipped under the radar, but Funimation recently picked up Doamaiger D, the retro-styled super robot short from a few seasons ago. First episode is up through their site, dunno when it'll hit Hulu.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i've seen cool gifs of robots/mech stuff from Kishin Heidan, Eiyu Gaiden Mozaika, and Dragon's Heaven. haven't gotten around to them myself, but they're all short OVAs that should fit your criteria

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Eiyu Gaiden Mozaika isn't mecha, for what it's worth, even if it does feature a giant fist battleship.

i was hoping people would steer me right, if any of them weren't mecha. that ship is super cool

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

I just finished ep 11 of King Gainer. When they say discontinuation, do they mean putting the whole family to death?

what's the context? i don't remember discontinuation being used as an important term or anything

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

Ana's calling her father for the first time after hearing about the discontinuation thing. Her father seems relieved to see her, but then hangs up the call while crying and says that "Even if the Medaiyu family were discontinued... Medaiyu blood will keep flowing as long as Ana is alive."

Then the scene switches to Ana crying while saying thank you. I'm assuming something very bad is about to happen to her family? Or she's just grateful that her father's letting her see the world?

her dad just disowned her to protect her. he's not really important for the rest of the show, but iirc they don't kill him off or anything. OKG can be sad, but it's not really that dark or tragic.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Konaka wrote it so i'm kinda surprised it has stayed unsubbed for almost a decade

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm debating whether or not to watch it, because i hate that it became a super robot show in ep2.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Artum posted:

Big O season 3.

Dare I dream?

this is a terrible idea and shouldn't happen

it's okay for shows to end.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Did Big O have a proper ending? I hear mixed things about this.

it ends on a universe reset, with a similar voiceover to the very first episode. things are subtly different but mostly the same, so it's one of those "come full circle" deals

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

nah, the first play finished so they're holding it again on the second night, but with some revisions to the script

that's valid too. i don't think i can choose which interpretation of the ending i like better, which is cool

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Majestic Prince announced both a movie and new episode at AnimeJapan. The series is being rebroadcast this July, and the new episode will air at the end, to tie in with the movie (scheduled for a Fall release).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they at least said there should be details on the project in the next few days

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

moe is good. any recommendations on a moe robot show?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

If you want to find something your best bet is to just go to the page that shows all of their current catalog in an alphabetical list.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

don't watch IBO

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the follow up question to that is at what point does re:creators actually wrap around to being good? because it definitely wasn't in the first 1/4, and i feel like 7 episodes is already a big commitment.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i just posted about it in there. as someone who doesn't really know Mazinger, it kinda sucked on all fronts except for looking nice and having a few good bits of action. also it made me think Great Mazinger is cooler than Z by several miles, dunno if that's common.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i didn't really have expectations going in, but i think i would've enjoyed the fights more if they were like the Asura/Brocken one. just throw a Mazin up against one or a few enemies rather than having 70% of the action just be decimating hordes of the cool weekly monsters from the original series.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm pretty sure the hk subs for mazinger have been wiped from the digital earth, and now your only option is more sensible fansubs :rip:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

afaik you can't catch a theatrical screening of Infinity anymore and i don't see how it could be a letdown when your cost of entry is free or a few bucks for a digital rental. but as a mild mecha fan yeah it didn't do a ton for me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

What's the new Gundam one?

new Gundam Build Fighters but its set in a VRMMO and there are furries. they released a teaser for it already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zR55C33TLA

also Pandora looks like crap, based on the PVs

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

For what it's worth knowing your tastes I think you'd enjoy Mazinkaiser more than Shin Mazinger if you're interested in more Mazinger

i already have Z Impact sitting around so i will probably get to that one first. i'm not 100% for or against the first episode, but going from that to the pretty low starting point of ep2 is what kept me from ever making progress in that series before.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Midjack posted:

Nagai had nothing to do with this movie and it shows.

yeah, there were only two titty scenes!!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the other labo kit has a video that is like twice as long and i'm amazed at the depth in the software. it's not quite up my gaming alley but i am tempted by the fishing and motorcycle ones.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

new Reideen is fully on HiDive, since Sentai did the disc release a few years ago. worth noting that HiDive is about to leave beta and you can lock in the $4/mo sub price for two years if you sign up before then.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tiramisu and pandora don't seem worth getting excited about, but i suppose mech beggars might not be choosers

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm basing my read on pandora off of the awful PVs rather than the premise.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gigguk seems to have an issue with doing tacky gags like that, though usually they're just based around dumb things in anime fandom and not anti-lesbian. i find the whole concept annoying because there's definitely a group taking those things at face value, and the ~satire~ of the jokes isn't particularly good in the first place.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

might be worth checking out Concrete Revolutio, which has several robot and mech pilot characters with some standout action setpieces.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

build fighters has plenty of elements that might appeal to female and/or more casual fans but idk how it panned out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

jets are mecha