Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Omnicrom posted:

I'll believe it when I see it. Harmony Gold has not exactly been in good financial straits for quite a while now, license or no license. Moreover, Harmony Gold has made it extremely clear their interest with Macross has only ever been to make more Robotech (this is how they got into legal trouble in the first place!), and since there almost certainly isn't going to be any more Robotech (remember all those failed crowdfunding projects?) if they are actually going to be releasing more Macross it's going to probably have to be as Macross. Again, these people are dinosaurs, their one successful franchise could only have existed as it did due to a mix of Zeitgeist related things in the 80s and having to do with 80s broadcasting standards. The needle for licensing and dubbing anime has moved tremendously since Robotech was a big deal.

As for the live-action movie they've been trying to make that since 2007 at least. I will believe it when I see it, because until it actually comes out it has as much reality as that live-action Akira movie people up and trying to make forever, or that live-action Cowboy Bebop movie (remember that thing?) I believe the most recent news on that Robotech movie was from a couple years back where director number six or whatever said flat out that they didn't have a budget to make the drat movie.

The wording of the agreement (and the fact that the new English language Macross account is atttributed entirely to Big West) makes it sound like this is less of a partnership and more of a non-aggression treaty where neither side blocks the other from releasing the properties in other countries. So no, I imagine Harmony Gold won't be distributing or dubbing any Macross. They're just not going to stop Big West from finding partners to do that with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Worried about how the CG in Getter Robot Ark looks like hot garbage

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ethiser posted:

I’m pretty sure based off the deal from a month or so ago Harmony Gold will get a piece of all the money made.

The deal said nothing about a co-licensing agreement, only that Harmony Gold will not attempt to block Big West from licensing Macross outside of Japan

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gripweed posted:

I wonder if the agreement is because of the development hell Robotech movie. Maybe one of the issues was that production companies didn't want to get involved when the rights were in such a weird situation. So Harmony Gold compromised with Big West in the hopes that it would clear the way for the Robotech movie.

From my understand that's exactly the situation since the other half is Big West can't interfere with Robotech

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I believe the last anyone heard about more Nadesico a sequel was planned, canceled, and Tatsuo Sato straight up said it w as never going to happen

That was back in 2005

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
honestly Nadesico was so incredibly of-its-time that any attempt to bring it back is going to either feel weird with how disconnected it is from the original or be some awkward throwback that feels like it's in the wrong era

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it is totally possible to do great cgi mecha animation

this...is not

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

RangerKarl posted:

Also set up a network of proto-stargates for inter-cluster Folding (FTL), but that's secondary.

Protoculture stuff is funky, the Evil-series found in Macross 30 could do unrestricted time travel.

it's honestly amazing they didn't wipe themselves out sooner

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
PMCs are by definition mercenaries. AEUG would be a revolutionary army (or from the Titans' perspective a terrorist organization)

I don't think Kawamori is a huge fan of PMCs or anything. It's a narrative tool to allow protagonists a degree of freedom the same way almost every Gundam show puts the main character's ship in a situation where most military rules don't apply (until they do)

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 7, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fivemarks posted:

I think its very fair to distrust Macross' later entries on the basis of their focus on the Idol Industry as this good great thing and their ideal of PMCs as this great thing that's more trustworthy than the government.

The "idol industry" as depicted in the Macross franchise has basically no resemblance to the actual thing that I don't think it's even fair to describe it as being the idol industry. They're just, like, general musicians with one manager.

Not every singer in Japan is an idol.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fivemarks posted:

It's still an Idealized version of what it is.

yes Macross is inherently an idealistic franchise

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Macross 2 is good because it portrays every side poorly, with only a handful of people not being short-sighted morons or evil.

This implies any side in Macross II is developed enough to be portrayed as anything sensical

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So with Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution 3 finally coming out in Japan I'm compelled to ask: has any mecha franchise ever so totally and thoroughly hosed itself as E7 has?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

I don't know a ton about VOTOMS but I can't imagine it does anything nearly as drastic as E7 continually producing terrible project after terrible project all laser targeted on making GBS threads on the original series that people actually liked as much as possible

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah there's "the protagonist gets more boring" or "they ruined the ending" and then there's E7, where the franchise's director stares you right in the face and goes "That thing you liked? It's dogshit" over and over for the past decade plus.

Not even metaphorically but like textually every Eureka Seven thing directly tries to destroy everything about the first series to the point where the Hi-Evolution movies finally accomplished it by revealing every series, manga, game, and movie in the franchise was just the delusions of Eureka using a magic box after she accidentally murdered Renton

I think it's hard to top that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

patlabor 3 is mostly kind of pointless.

yeah it's...fine. It just has nothing to do with Patlabor outside of like two characters showing up at the end

Definitely lacks the "what if we put the cast of Police Academy in a Tom Clancy thriller" vibe of the second movie.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaius Marius posted:

Okay now I agree with the poster that said eureka seven is unique in it's creators attempts to desecrate it.

I am not happy to be right

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Delta has my favorite main couple in the franchise - hayate and freyja have like actual chemistry in a way the other protagonist couples/triangles do not - which kills me with how much I just do not like every other part of the show

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I kind of feel the opposite about Plus where every other aspect of the show is amazing except for how the characters all suck but you can get away with that when you're a four episode OVA

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's baffling that they went all in on movies for a show that didn't seem to reach an audience anywhere

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kanos posted:

I forgot Argevollen until I read this post.

what the gently caress is an argevollen

*google*

no, no way, this doesn't exist this is some kind of ruse

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think it's funny not because "America doesn't do bad things like Russia and China" (which, you know, isn't true even if the bad things they're doing are much more high profile right now) and more that Japan's relationship with China has been real bad for the last uhhh let's say "several decades" and their most recent interaction with the other was using the sanctions as an excuse to reaffirm their claim on the Kuril Islands and basically daring Russia to come at them.

But this show was written months ago so what are you gonna do. Also it might be some attempt at dramatic irony that works about as well as everything else seems to.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
char's last words are pathetically whining about lalah/his mommy issues and amuro, who just beat his rear end like a drum, spends his own final moments going "dude what the gently caress are you talking about"

I don't know if this has anything to do with the topic at hand I just think it's really funny that this is how these two iconic characters go out

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
oh no??? teens piloting robots in a undam show??????

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Oh they don't just make Eva references there's a full-on crossover episode that features the first appearance of Hikari's oft-mentioned but never actually seen sisters (because they're named after trains)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fivemarks posted:

Evangelion and its consequences have been a disaster for western mecha. Its a disaster that's being fixed now, but the late 90's, 2000's, and 2010s were pretty loving dire with people treating Evangelion as if its some kind of holy grail of mecha anime and the best thing ever and SO DEEP.

You could have just cut to the part where you hate Eva for the same arbitrary reasons as some early 2000's /m/ poster and saved us all some time

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hey sure the Delta protagonists have bad character arcs and the entire plot ends up focused on characters who have even less but at least the action is good

wait no I'm being told the action is the same 10-12 planes shooting at each other in front of the same featureless blue sky background for 20 episodes

ah well, nevertheless

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I will give delta this. It's the first macross series where I buy the main couple being an actual couple. They've got tat great chemistry of constantly giving each other poo poo in a playful way

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's a regular that comes to my drive thru at work who has a decal of zero two with her tits out on her car and everyone calls her "the anime boob woman"

that's forever my association with darling in the franxx

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Expo70 posted:

Possibly a repost but...

1. What happened?

2. Can anything be done about it?

make your protagonist a woman and make the show super gay

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Gainer's fine as long as you don't go into it expecting things like "an ending" or "story progression in general"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khvLQriRdBA

I'm sorry a Grendizer show directed and written by who

what is happening

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://youtu.be/Xt5uJ7fLqUQ

so it looks like bang bravern's whole deal is that it's a gritty real robot series but the protagonist is basically american weeb gai daigoji

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Is it a sequel to the movie? I doubt Britannians would still be mass murdering Japanese people under Nunnally 's rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
A+ juke. Glad they kept it out of the marketing material to the point that the "key image" they used for the show until today was bullshit.