Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

That's the dub where Ryoma is played by Neo Cortex, right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

unpopular take - i don't get the love for the gundam wing openings, but i find gundam x's openings to be great

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

free hubcaps posted:

macross II was one of the first animes i ever saw and im still sad its been essentially disowned despite its issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cCXCmpx330

Isn't Macross II in the Macross games for the PSP?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Artum posted:

Honestly she just annoyed the poo poo out of me in 3 when in 2 she was literally cheerleading shinji to do the thing she is now mad about.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was irritated by her hypocrisy.

I hope she gets redeemed in 3.0+1.0

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Schwarzwald posted:

Misato is an adult, and as Tomino tells us, adults are the enemy.

tomino would make a great adult agent in the knd.

why do i remember that

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I wanna get into Majestic Prince because the mechas look awesome, but I heard that it's based off a manga - should I read the manga or watch the anime

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

drrockso20 posted:

Kinda like how Go Shogun: The Time Etranger doesn't feature the titular robot(or any robots for that matter) at all, had to take some enormous balls to make something like that as the movie tie-in for a toyetic Super Robot series

I'm pretty sure the guy who wrote Goshogun and Time Etranger (Takeshi Shudo) went on to write the first series on Pokemon, and planned to have it end with Pikachu leading a revolt against humanity, with Meowth as his ambassador.

He also wrote Minky Momo, which had (spoilers) Momo being killed by a toy truck in response to toy sponsors pulling their support for the show

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I know it more for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iMV9XA6t_8

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

Knew what this one was without even clicking on it.

Believe it or not, that guy's maybe the best character in the anime. He's also less of a scumbag than the protagonist of the original Orguss, which is impressive considering we're talking a dude with a list of ex-wives longer than his arm.

(Manning, despite his awkward choice of threat, has a scene elsewhere in the OVA where he says outright that he isn't interested in teenagers, and that anyone who is qualifies as a creep even by his standards. Meanwhile, Kei in the original Orguss is dating a high schooler.)

What does he say in the original Japanese, out of curiosity?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

I didn't think the SD mecha designs served it well. The stubby little limbs and large, highly detailed heads and torsos made the action a bit difficult to follow.

Nah I love those type of mecha. Reminds me of the ones in Wataru and Lamunes 40

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Plus he grows up to pilot GaoGaiGo, so he's cool in my book

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

GorfZaplen posted:

Goofy mascots already put it above Buddy Complex in my book

God everything about Buddy Complex other than the time stuff is bland as gently caress

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Logicblade posted:

I started watching Galactic Cyclone Braiger and it's honestly really enjoyable. I might only be one for three on watching shows because I liked them in SRW (Dancouga, Layzner), but hey, it's a start. The music is really good, the characters bounce off of each other in a fun way, and I think that having that fun aspect makes dealing with the darker subject material a lot easier to handle. Because whoo baby, I guess war crimes are in style in the wild 22nd century. And of course, that OP loving slaps and I never skip it.

My favorite episode is the one where the two tag along kidsget revenge on the guy who killed their parents. Especially when he begs for mercy, then tries to shoot them but is stopped by Kidd, and the kids shooting the fucker while the girl shouts "No more mercy!"

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I'm very loving excited for Machine Robo and Gunbuster.

Speaking of Machine Robo, is Battle Hackers connected in any way to Revenge of Chronos?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

For those that care, Brawin Powered is getting a BD release

https://twitter.com/SUNRISE_web/status/1448990424744534018

Also Tomino wants to remake Brain Powered with movies and admits the show isn't well made, although given his age I sadly don't think this will happen (He said the same thing about remaking Ideon and nothing ever came out of it)

https://twitter.com/Char_Tweet/status/1448978838516482050

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Endorph posted:

you would be correct

“I keep looking at AKB48 girl’s legs. The space between their knees and their skirts”

the primary sources are p. bad here since hes linking to random twitter accounts transcribing the interview, not specific tweets or clips, but tomino being into idols is a known thing and its not like he hasnt made pervy comments before so im fully willing to believe it. and the gundam cafe specifically is noteworthy for having cannibalized some akb48 stores so presumably thats how it got brought up.

Isn't Tomino a fan of Love Live?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Endorph posted:

i dont think being a fan of love live is a character flaw?

I wasn't implying it was, I was only asking

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Endorph posted:

i think he just wants to do weird interesting depressing stuff with it. ao was whatever but the anemone movie was good. its not like the original eureka seven is affected in any way by this supplementary material existing.

I read that the second movie reveals that every piece of E7 media, including the TV series, are worlds that Eureka made up over guilt for killing Renton. Doesn't that actually affect the original?

Actually, how well did the first two movies even do?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Omnicrom posted:

And it isn't even like Evangelion either where the Rebuild films will purposefully go out of their way to take shots at the franchise's fans and their assumptions and their desires to try and make a point or use that as a jumping off board to further the characters or concepts of the films.

I never really thought the Rebuild movies were meant to be some "gently caress you" to fans - the closest you could come to that is 3.0, and that was more because Anno was going through severe depression at the time of making it.

Also, outside of 3.0, the first two and last movie felt pretty optimistic and hopeful.

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 30, 2021

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Also, reading this interview from Kyoda make him seem like kind of an rear end

quote:

OTAQUEST: Were you left dissatisfied?

KYODA: Now, you’re leading us towards a sensationalist sort of write up. That’s not journalism. And it’s been a habit of reporters in Japan for too long, I think. Thus I have no obligation to answer that, but to keep our talk amicable for the readers: few people seem to realize this, but there’s nothing unique to separate the animation industry from all other industries. In any line of work, there are inevitabilities that prevent you from achieving what you could under ideal conditions. There are ways our staff, including myself, could have done better, but we don’t always have the opportunity to do so. It’s because these projects are supported by external investment. We’ve had several productions with the Eureka title attached to them up to now, and each was produced with a certain theme in mind, but sometimes that theme isn’t what the people who make our work possible want. Sometimes we must stay our hand so that we can provide the product that they require of us, or at least what we understand as what they want from us. So, there’s no single clear answer I can give you when you ask what the theme is.

quote:

OTAQUEST: Then regarding the start of your theatrical trilogy from 2017, Hi-Evolution, as director what did you want to express the most?

KYODA: I hate to repeat myself, but I don’t believe there’s any need for me to make clear a certain “theme”. I’d prefer for you to think that the theme is whatever the audience brings home with them after watching. There was nothing I was trying to hammer home with Hi-Evolution, it was about showing the personal lives of people, albeit fictional people. The first part in the Hi-Evolution trilogy is about children who have lost their parents, but in finding a substitute, are allowed to grow. This is one of the reasons behind the focus given to Ray and Charles, and later Anemone, another child who has lost her parents. If there was anything to be felt in such a story, then you may think of it as what I wanted to express, or the theme in this series.

quote:

OTAQUEST: So in each Eureka, you’ve been putting your “current” feelings to the screen, then.

KYODA: For the hundredth time, anime isn’t an industry where you can set the opinions of one person to the screen. It would be no easy task to set my own “current” feelings to the screen. What’s changed in these 15 years is that I now feel prepared to build a setup where we can approach that level of auteurism. Together, with my friends at the studio.

https://www.otaquest.com/tomoki-kyoda-interview/

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 30, 2021

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

For gently caress's sake just kill it already

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I decided to read through Bokurano again, and I have to ask: did the author really intend for the readers to sympathize with Jun when he's a horrific abusive piece of poo poo to his sister for the vast majority of the manga/anime, all because he thinks his mom died while giving birth to Kana?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

gently caress yeah, best torino show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I think I'd enjoy the original Mazinger Z anime more if Kouji wasn't such a giantic sexist poo poo head