Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Watched M3: The Dark Metal recently. I don't know exactly how this managed to fly so far under the radar because it was actually pretty good. It had some melodrama at the start and Okada seems to have a habit of making overblown and hammy villains for the most part, but I liked it overall. The CG was pretty good and the Kawamori-designed mecha were quite cool. They way they folded up was really neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

You know what's nigh-impossible to find? A mecha show where the mecha don't fly or get a flight upgrade halfway through.

For a genre built around big stompy metal men hardly any mecha actually use their legs.

I can't name ten shows that do it. The few that do it are great though.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Srice posted:

Hmm

Votoms
Xabungle
Patlabor (Not counting that one mech in the tv series but it was intentionally ridiculous compared to what they had)
Galient
Dougram
Broken Blade maybe? (I only saw a few of those movies, not all of them)
Argevollen (lack of air travel was actually a factor for that show too)

I am sure there are a few I'm missing that could make 10

Escaflowne, M3, a couple of others that are escaping me.

The point is, I shouldn't have to struggle to reach ten or so.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

boom boom boom posted:

Dai Guard got a upgrade towards the end that let it turn into three Getter style planes

That's not really flight though since they aren't in humanoid form.

Otherwise you'd have to disqualify stuff like FMP for having flight packs for travel.

Anyway, the point is it's a vast minority.

Reds fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 27, 2015

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

boom boom boom posted:

in that case what about transforming stuff like Macross or Zeta Gundam?

Well the Zeta's alt form is mostly for travel and isn't used terribly often in combat if I recall correctly, while the other MS with alt forms used theirs a bit more actively because they were designed to be more combat-ready in those forms.

Macross is three quarters jet, one quarter mecha. It's not a mecha that transforms into a jet, it's a jet that transforms into a mecha. Macross is jets first, mecha later.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

boom boom boom posted:

Also, Gundam Origin and 0083. no flight or mid season flight upgrades.

I tend to not include Gundam in the "no flight" category because they take place primarily in space which is effectively similar. Space is really boring for combat for the same reason as flight: there's no environmental interaction beyond a few random asteroids. When you're on the ground you have the restriction of what-goes-up-must-come-down and have to take the environment into account.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

dogsicle posted:

I wish there was a good model of the basic Guymelef design...they're really cool. :sigh:

Was there a basic Guymelef, or are you talking about the Melefs, the non-superpowered mooks?

I don't really remember any non-unique Guymelefs other than the empire's ones that could turn invisible and had those floating alt forms. The whole point of Guymelefs was that they were the Overmen to the Melef Silhouette Engines.

I get the feeling that using King Gainer as an example is a poor idea. But you should all go watch Overman King Gainer right now if you haven't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc0rW5fsfxA

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Overman King Gainer isn't anything like G-Reco though.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Motto posted:

I don't think Tomino hates robots per se, but he dislikes how the inherent reliance on merchandising results in sponsors meddling in production. In particular, Sunrise getting bought up by Bandai was a big blow for him and, if I'm recalling correctly, a major source of the angst that permeates Victory.

Victory is the result of both being depressed and being very angry. It's why he tells people to not buy Victory in the Victory DVDs, he probably isn't happy with all of the negativity put into Victory Gundam considering the more optimistic bent of his future shows.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Raxivace posted:

I'm about eight episodes into Shin Mazinger. So uh is this thing ever going to pick up, like at all?

Like the initial two or three episodes seemed promising enough, but it just keeps dragging on now.

It does. Particularly after the Lorelei arc.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Kingtheninja posted:

I thought I read somewhere the idols were the pilots in delta? If not do we know who is a pilot?

Nah, that was just speculation. We have the bishie squad/those knight guys, then we have another squad who pilot the VFs in the preview image with the idols led by Max Jenius's daughter/granddaughter that the MC will join.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

AradoBalanga posted:

Apparently Kawamori did several more lines of cocaine than he normally does before working on shows. :stare:

Somebody hasn't seen AKB0048.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I can't see myself sticking with Delta. Macross is just incompatible with me despite my best efforts. I want more of SDF and Plus, not this bizarre magical girl thing. There are better ways to integrate music into your show than going full idol, and then going fuller idol. Macross has been crazy since 7, but still.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Who knows, it might be really good despite the absurdity. It's just not really the type of show I would prefer to see. I'm going to judge it based on its own merits first rather than condemn it for not being something completely different.

Reds fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 2, 2016

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

The whole thing is about healing people through the power of jpop. If there's a murder-plague going around and the only way to fix it is with idol concerts, then it's your duty to splurge on high-tech visual effects and put on the best drat concert you can.

Like, seriously, I think that's the actual explanation for all the fancy lighting and little dancing drone-holograms.

I get the feeling the full explanation beyond "music cures the plague" will be a quick "music heals this because fold technobabble, don't think too hard about it" and questions such as "would it work if you played a recording" or "do you really need full magical girls and concerts and a big light show or is just the music good enough, do you need to be up in their faces or can you play it over speakers" or "would death metal be more effective than j-pop, do you need instruments or can it be just raw singing" are not going to addressed.

Just sit back and enjoy your magical girl idols, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

They seem to be going with the Frontier thing of 'emotion can generate fold-space effects with the right technology, and we're going with music because tradition'. If it's about conveying emotion through art to fry the virus, then a visual component is just as much of a plus as an aural one. It being a daft, off-the-wall concept doesn't mean they haven't put thought into it.

Guess I forgot that part of the explanation from Frontier. I don't think anybody can call it that unusual given that 7 already happened, anyway.