Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I've started watching the original Macross recently, and it's been pretty great. The plot moves along at a fast pace, and the mix between battles and personal drama is very well done, to the point I actually care more about the personal conflicts. Here's my other impressions so far:

- Misa just might be my favorite, what with her being the one to drive the plot forward and to be the one to figure out a way to end the war. She's just as important as Minmay is in ending the conflict.
- I'm digging how the show handles Hikaru feeling something for both Minmay and Misa and it's done in a way where it doesn't feel like he's cheating on them or anything.
- Considering how fast-paced the show is, it's a bit sad the show ran into deadline problems and ended up wasting time with two recap episodes. I was just thinking about Millia and how long it took from her boarding the Macross to her meeting with Max.
- Kakizaki and Max got introduced right around the part where there's little to no fighting so they barely had any screentime. Max's looks and piloting skills at least made him stand out, but it's not surprising that poor Kakizaki was toast.
- The fish out of water aspect with the Zentradi trio was very well done, IMO. I was actually invested in seeing those good boys survive their desertion attempt to the Macross. :3:

Finally, Kaifun is the absolute worst, and I'm not sure what the writers were going for with him. Sure he makes a good point about wanting peace but it's said by such an obnoxious creep. Misa already pointed out you two are cousins, so maybe stop creeping on Minmay! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Tribladeofchaos posted:

I just ended up feeling really bad for Minmay by the end :smith: no one deserves to be stuck with Kaifun.

Yeah, agreed. Kaifun was just plain abusive, what with completely controlling Minmay's work and social life. I remember thinking how incredibly hosed up it was when Hikaru visited Minmay's aunt and uncle, two people that Minmay's been closest to, and they mentioned they haven't talked to her for ages. The only part of SDF that made me go "Oh gently caress you!" was Kaifun being the one to part ways with Minmay. I couldn't believe the writers actually thought having Kaifun give the "You've changed so much" speech was a good idea.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Having watched the original a while back, it's odd how they labeled it as a love triangle. Minmay always saw Hikaru as just a close friend right from the start. While Hikaru may have felt something for her, their line of work eventually created this huge distance between them. Hikaru eventually decided he's giving up on Minmay and hoped Kaifun takes care of her which is just UGH on a lot of levels. It's after that where Misa and Hikaru started getting close to each other. It was actually pretty organic too, with the two spending time talking, bonding and just sharing experiences with one another.

The final nail on the Minmay and Hikaru ship was during the Golg Boddole Zer battle, where Hikaru told Minmay how he felt as their final goodbye. Hikaru getting shot down during the battle was thematic, because as he fell down the Earth's atmosphere (to where Misa was), Minmay's voice on the radio eventually faded away. It seemed like a final choice to me.

The last act of Macross tried to play up the love triangle, by having Minmay miss Hikaru. It's hard to believe they'll get back together because Minmay and Hikaru still haven't interacted much by this point. There's also how Minmay's interest in Hikaru is probably tied to her being completely worn down and used as an idol, and Minmay's desire to go back to simpler times. Minmay going to live with Hikaru felt like someone asking a friend if they could stay with them so they could avoid their abusive boyfriend. Which Kaifun is, because that piece of poo poo is a textbook abuser.

As for the finale, Minmay puts Hikaru on the spot while the final battle is going on, asking him to come to a shelter with her and not to fight anymore. It might have worked on the old Hikaru, but after having been through a war and becoming a captain of his own squad, Hikaru gently let Minmay down and hopes he can hear her sing from the heart again. The ending's bittersweet, because while Minmay had her heart broken, it comes with the hope that she'll get better and learn to love herself. Hell, Hikaru and Misa even hears Minmay singing again in the distance so we know she'll be okay.

TL;DR: I'm not sure why folks would say the show's love triangle is about assholes ruining each other's lives, because it's really not.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

I think it's weird the franchise is so known for it's triangles, half the series in it the love triangles feel so non existent that you might as well have cut 'em and focused on the real romance.

Honestly, even the original Macross barely had a love triangle. Before her career took off, Minmay only ever saw Hikaru as a friend while Hikaru thought of Misa as an irritating by-the-book nag. When Minmay's career took off, she and Hikaru had such busy schedules that they just drifted apart, while Hikaru and Misa sat down and got to really know each other. By the time of the final battle against Boddole Zer, Hikaru had already let go of Minmay and only confessed what he felt for her to get some closure.

I hesitate to call the after-war part as a love triangle either. Hikaru and Misa have already moved on with their lives and have a stable relationship. Minmay's feelings for Hikaru seemed to be spurred on by a combination of being completely worn down and used up by her career, being tired of Kaifun's abusive rear end, and wanting to go back to the good old days. And despite pining for Hikaru at that point, she never really interacted with him in person. Then when she finally went to stay at Hikaru's place, Hikaru was treating her more like an old friend who needed a place to stay for a few days while they sorted out their problems.

I feel really sorry for Minmay at the end, but by the time she felt anything for Hikaru it was already way too late.

Edit: Spoiler'd just in case Relin hasn't watched to the end yet.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Tribladeofchaos posted:

It's fine to be a pacifist but not a horrible piece of poo poo "pacifist" like Kaifun. Also if they're giant aliens it's generally a pretty dumb idea anyway.

It boggles my mind that the storywriters wanted to have an anti-military character who wishes to promote more pacifistic means and they made loving Kaifun. He's such an awful strawman that they might as well not have tried.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ninjewtsu posted:

pretty sure most proper zeon soldiers joined haman's neo zeon instead of the aeug

I mean, can you blame them? It's Haman. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's a couple pages back, but the thing about Netflix Voltron made me remember that some folks in the TVIV kids' animation shows thread did some helpful posts explaining why Netflix Voltron was a bad mecha show:

nine-gear crow posted:

"Why did people go apeshit over Voltron?" is a loaded question with multiple answers depending on who you ask. It mainly revolves around the plot completely unraveling in its final two seasons, its uneven pacing issues, and just the general degradation, neglect, and disrespect for its main cast and their respective character arcs the closer the show drew to its ending. Allura and Lance are the ones who suffer the most from this, but everyone gets it in one way or another, Keith, Shiro, Pidge, Hunk, Lotor. Especially Lotor. What happens to Lotor is just amazing in its whiplash inducing narrative cowardice. Literally, "Oh no, we actually made Lotor a genuinely good person. poo poo! Quick! Turn him into Ultra Turbo Hitler with zero build up to it! NOW!"

It's one of those rare shows you can credibly accuse of "virtue signalling", because it pulls some heinous poo poo like revealing Shiro is gay and has a husband, and then killing off that character before he and Shiro ever get to meaningfully interact in the story, and then try to make it up to the audience by having Shiro marry a background character who has like two lines of dialog in the show and who you can play a drinking game with of "spot all the times he shows up in shot in the finale season" like he's Loo-kee on She-Ra or something.

It's a show with a really great start, an amazing middle, and then when it came to put-up-or-shut-up time for sticking the landing on the ending, it flinched and just obliterated its shin bones and that's now all anyone can think about, the blood mess it made at the end instead of the sick rear end poo poo it was doing before that. It's basically the animation world's version of Game of Thrones.

Dawgstar posted:

There's also something to be said (negatively) for killing off your only female POC coded character in the finale and I'm pretty sure Lance and Allura only happen because they turned Lotor into Turbo Hitler but it doesn't matter because she dies and Lance becomes a... farmer. I had fallen off Voltron and whenever I looked back at it all I saw were the terrible shipping wars but it actually had real thematic problems beyond that.

DoctorWhat posted:

Even when the plot was compelling in the middle bits you can tell that the production team had no sense of what mecha anime is actually like or what makes it cool. Voltron itself doesn't mean anything. It's literally just a big macguffin robot. None of the good poo poo about how people become mechanized in war, or self-realization through idealized forms, and very few if any truly cool fights.

Dawgstar posted:

One thing that stands out about Voltron not being that special all things told was the fact that the flying magic space castle is arguably a more efficient weapon than Voltron. I also agree with 9GCrow that having the Lions have personalities and the pilots needing to work with that and around that was a really cool idea that they sort of shrug and ignore after a while.