Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Is anyone around here following RoosterTeeth's new mech show gen:LOCK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Darth Walrus posted:

I like how they've had the stones to go properly weird with the transhumanism. Especially with the reveal about who the protagonist and antagonist really are.

Yeah, that was great (and really satisfying for me, since it was almost exactly what I'd theorized after Ep 5). I'm actually more interested in the seemingly throwaway detail about Val having switched between male and female bodies "a few times now". We know nanotech is a thing, and based on dialogue in Ep 1, the Union didn't invent it, just weaponize it – so I'm imagining the process as something like a full-immersion nanite bath that rebuilds your body how you want it.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Pootybutt posted:

Macross Frontier Wings of Goodbye rules too, one of my fave anime flicks of the 10's.

I still can't forgive how they changed Grace O'Connor from the TV version.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Pootybutt posted:

Didja not think she deserved redemption or was it that it turned out she was bein controlled the whole time?

Both? The former wouldn't exist without the latter, and I don't think her character needed to be redeemed. Furthermore, reducing her importance the way they did was the most egregious example of a broader trend in the films to transfer narrative weight away from the female cast.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Ethiser posted:

They are the best Macross since Plus. I think they are superior versions of the show.

I strongly disagree. The only worthwhile part is the music.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

mllaneza posted:

That still leaves a LOT of room for the movies to be good, which they are. They're very different plot-wise from the series, but are still an authentic Macross Frontier experience. You should watch, and love, both the series and the movies.

Honestly, some of the twists in the movies are hilariously awesome, like the SMS gang putting on a concert as a distraction for prison-breaking Sheryl, who has been sentenced to death for espionage. C'mon, what's not to love ?

I have two big issues with the film versions:

First, keeping Michel alive and having Ozma and Sheryl disappear failed to heighten the stakes and tension as we approached the final climax. By the time of his death in the show, Michel was a developed secondary character, and his exit made a profound impact both on the viewers and on the characters left to mourn him. In contrast, Ozma is a tertiary character at best (especially in the films, which by their nature have less time to flesh out minor characters), so we care about him less, and Sheryl is a co-protagonist, so we know she can't die until the final concert and/or battle of the movie. It's just much less affecting storytelling.

Second, the films consistently downgrade the contributions of its female cast. Grace O'Connor is hit hardest by this, going from the charismatic, scheming face of the Galaxy conspiracy to a puppet whose good nature was overridden by cybernetic controls, but Sheryl and Ranka get it too. In the show, their duet over the Vajra home planet is what turns the tide in Frontier's favor, and Alto merely delivers the finishing blow by severing the conspiracy's physical link to the Vajra queen. In the film, the narrative agency shifts to Alto, as he and the other pilots first have to shoot the control implants off the Vajra drones before Sheryl and Ranka's singing can reach them, but then they don't have to get rid of the queen's (far more extensive) implants, it's enough for Alto to just land in her hand and "deliver" their song, whatever that means.

To sum up, it fails to tell its story as well as the show told its story, and it shows a pattern of moving plot relevance away from female characters and toward male ones which I did not appreciate.

And the music was excellent, as you'd expect.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

mllaneza posted:

As a nice followup to OG Macross, here is my periodic reminder that Frontier is on YouTube in 720.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnBgMIYA874

I have watched the final episode so many times that I only really need the audio to be able to play it in my head, subtitles and all. I fuckin' love that show.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Arcsquad12 posted:

I haven't watched GenLock because I fell off of Rooster Teeth content around the time they made their all animated season with Monty Oum where everyone had anime haircuts under their helmets and RWBY took over. Is it any good or does it fall into the usual pit of "anime inspired" western shows that haul out visual tropes and mannerisms with no understanding of how or why they are used?

It definitely doesn't fall into the "anime inspired" trap you describe, and I thought it was pretty good. I'd say give it a shot; it's not that big a time investment - 8 episodes running about 20-30 minutes each. I would say its biggest weakness is in the worldbuilding, or at least in communicating their worldbuilding to the audience. The show is set against the backdrop of a global conflict between two post-national blocs, one vaguely liberal democratic and one vaguely fascist, but while the individual characters are handled well, we get next to no sense of the particulars of the two blocs' ideologies.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Does anyone else have anything to say about gen:LOCK? Or am I the only one here who's seen it?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

chiasaur11 posted:

It's been discussed a little upthread.

I saw one episode and bounced off, but other people liked it, apparently.

One massive problem is that the enemies get less characterization than Doctor Hell, which is a pretty big deal for a real robot anime.

Yeah, I was the person doing the discussing. And I agree with you about that problem - even called it out myself - although hopefully that's going to change whenever the second season eventually comes out.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is honestly a huge problem with every show written by Rooster Teeth. It's fine when Red Vs Blue was a bunch of random sketches with the barest plot to justify new scenarios, but when the later seasons got plot heavy it got dumb real fast and the villains were barely explored.

And then there's RWBY. So I guess it does track that GenLOCK would have the same problem.

RWBY has done quite a bit of exploring the villains' motivations and personalities starting in Volume 4 and running all the way through to the currently-airing Volume 8, so while you could defensibly argue that they took too long to get to it, it is something they have done. And that's all I'll say on the topic, since this is the mecha thread and RWBY is not mecha.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Pootybutt posted:

Tropes like "the scrappy, disciplined team of heroes break off from the military, breaking command to save the day" are old sci-fi stuff that, in the case of anime, goes all the way back to Yamato. The latter Frontier film has a big unsubtle surface-level spoonful of colonialist critique in the mix, so there's that at least!

God, Wings of Goodbye is dope. I can watch that flick any day of the week.

Which part was that? I must have been too busy hating what they did to Grace to notice.

Also, I agree that Wings of Goodbye is an excellent song.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Psycho Landlord posted:

The actual sin of Delta was not ignoring its power armored idol premise

It was doing away with breakdancing Valkyries

Honestly I feel like keeping even just one of those elements would have greatly improved the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Nuebot posted:

Franxx had just as much weird sexuality stuff, and a much shittier message attached to it. At least in Kill la Kill, the most prominent weird scene, as bad as it was, you were still supposed to at least identify the villain as being a bad person doing a bad thing. Unlike Franxx which just goes "Look at all these freaks, not being normal!"

Idly curious which weird Kill la Kill scene you consider to be the most prominent.