Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sorry, it's really bad and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ninjewtsu posted:

i'd be pretty ok with a robot show that was just robots punching each other for 20 minutes without any intended deeper meanings or boring drama with the stupid human pilots

That's what Mazinkaiser SKL is for.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not really terrible and has a cool soundtrack by the same guy that did the music for Evangelion, but it's just kind of there. It got ejected from the 'official' time line because Shoji Kawamori had nothing to do with it and kind of owned the storyline by the time Plus and 7 came around.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've never seen the movie but the series is only like 6 30 minute episodes so it's not the hugest time investment anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Musics cool though and has that big band sound Sagisu often adds to his soundtracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHFUGs5EdoE

Very Evangelion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcGItOnV1iY

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

dogsicle posted:

Escaflowne had robots that could fly

e: oh, not if alternate forms don't count i guess

Transformed into dragons that could fly :black101:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

dogsicle posted:

That and the regular Guymelefs flew when all compacted. Didn't the cat assassins have flying robots too?

Yeah, they did, they looked like spikier, nastier versions of the normal Guymelefs if I remember correctly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It got a Bluray release so they couldn't have totally forgotten about it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That looks uncomfortable but since it's apparently called Bondage Choir I assume that's the point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Most, if not all, mecha shows are about conflict and when your stance can be either war is good, bad or poo poo happens, I'd rather they went with it being bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motto posted:

I'd also add that Majestic Prince is worth giving a shot, though it's not particularly exceptional in any area aside from CG.

It's exceptional for not falling into the Valvrave trying to be Geass/edgy as gently caress trap.

Rinne no Lagrange is fun enough if you want something with cute girls and robots and pretend the second season doesn't exist.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Droyer posted:

Isn't buddy complex the one that was literally written by committee?

Yeah, but that's true of any Sunrise animation that has Hajime Yatate in the writing credits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajime_Yatate?wprov=sfti1

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Big O is basically The Truman Show only no-one escapes at the end.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Parallax posted:

I watched Macross Plus and it was super cool. Are there any other super short OVAs with mechs? (Aside from Giant Robo and Gundams)

Orguss 02 is pretty good and you don't need to have seen the original series at all to enjoy it

KO Century Beast Warriors is a fun early 90's parody of a bunch of robot stuff but might be kind of hard to find now

Super Atragon isn't robot mecha but stars a 60's super science submarine instead
e: and an awesome soundtrack by the same guy who did Giant Robo

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 26, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aliens

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ActionZero posted:

Did I just see an idol literally brainwash someone to be her fan?

Looked to me more like he was infected with something and idol singing cures it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CommissarMega posted:

Welp, that seals it. If I wanted to watch a Macross series, where should I start?

Good: original Macross (if you don't mind 80's animation), Macross Plus, Macross Frontier (best watched in that order)

Some people like it but it's at least 20 episodes too long: Macross 7

Bad: Macross 2, Macross Zero

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

On the other hand Macross Plus is the best in the series, doesn't require having watched any of the others and fairly short, so just watch that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope some of the CGI stuff isn't final but otherwise I was pretty happy with it, and also have no idea what's going on.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I expected those hologram things to actually have a point but they didn't seem to.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kingtheninja posted:

I watched the first two episodes of Plus, I'm sorry it took me so long to finally check it out. It's really great, but where else have I seen this character designer? The face style really sticks out to me, like I've seen it before.

Masayuki has done a bunch if stuff but mostly animation direction, the only other semi well known thing he's done character designs for is Doomed Megalopolis, if you've seen that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Droyer posted:

GaoGaiGar is just ok

It's one of my favourite shows

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gyra_Solune posted:

huh

maybe i should watch netflix voltron.

it's still irascibly weird that this anime that was always meant to be an anime is now pretty much a western property. like they sort of tried in the 90s to make voltron all cool and redesigned (and failed horribly) but now it's just, yeah, that's golion right there

Harmony Gold tried for a while to do the same thing with Robotech and that also failed spectacularly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's so, so, so boring. I heard the recent series was better but eh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did someone say Panzer World Galient??????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBBZrJP3hKE

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neo_Crimson posted:

The only thing I don't like about that game is that it's apparently focused around a CoD style multiplayer.

Yeah, I would be up for not-ZoE but I don't really play online competitive stuff so eh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Macross 7's problems don't really start until about 10 episodes in and you realise you've been listing to the same four songs play over the same stock footage for the whole time and nothing else has happened.
Basara is uniquely assholish and unlikeable from the start though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I know nothing about the GoShogun TV series, but I've seen the movie which is (not very) famous for being a direct sequel to a mecha show that doesn't have any mecha in it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You're in luck since they're compilation movies of the original series, with some new stuff mixed in.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was pretty popular at the time yeah, back when mecha shows still could be (just about).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was a real show made entirely from stock footage.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I found both pretty boring, of the two Break Blade is probably the better since the promise is fairly interesting, I've only seen the OVA series not TV though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I will get around to watching that show one day.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Still my favourite Gundam op apart from the first 0083 one.

And the first X op.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Snooze Cruise posted:

please tag yourself

The Girlfriend or Boyfriend

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I should probably watch Dai-Guard again, at the time I was used to all mecha shows trying to be the next Evangelion and was disappointed there was no weird mystery/conspiracy poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's cool but at the same time the more licensed stuff there is in it, the less likely there is to be an English version.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

StrixNebulosa posted:

...Sounds like I need to binge ID-0!

Also, what other animes have non-fleshy robots as actual characters, outside of Exkaiser/The Brave series and Ghost in the Shell's spider 'bots?

Zone of the Enders: Dolores, I wasn't anything amazing but it was amusing enough and the main robot had an AI that thought it was a human girl.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it's basically a dad anime only the daughter is a giant robot. And there's a human daughter too iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CGI is good enough now that you don't need rain or dark to hide it but if you had actual trouble seeing what was going on in the first film you may need to adjust your TV/local cinema.