Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone who says Evangelion didn't start a bunch of clones has blocked out 90% of robot shows from the late 90's/early 2000's, and some non-robot ones too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Schwarzwald posted:

Standard definition, but on blu-ray? Is that common?

For old shows with no HD version it happens sometimes, you can fit more episodes on a disc and you're not missing out because, well, there's no HD version. It'll probably still look generally better than on DVD as well.

Sucks if they're doing that for Ideon though since there is a HD remaster.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Noriko and Kasumi's relationship in the first episode has some class S genre trappings (basically proto-yuri) but again those are probably more just the Aim For the Ace cliches poking though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Droyer posted:

J-decker's weird but I'm into it?

Why am I not surprised

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do you need to have watched Votoms before Mellowlink?

I know I should regardless but ones short and ones, uh, not

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kingtheninja posted:

What was the stance on the escaflowne movie? Is it a truncated version of the show/is it good?

It's awful but has some nice animation and music

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watch the original 60's The Prisoner

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I remember talking with someone years ago who watched season 1 of The Big O when it originally aired on.. Cartoon Network? who was convinced for ages they kept somehow missing the last episode

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah but it has the best op

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Killer the Butcher

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Would you say they're all the same?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Rahxephon has a tone/atmosphere unlike almost any mecha anime I've ever seen so that's part of the draw. And the OP is a banger.

But to respond here, I'm curious: ARE there any masterpiece mecha animes? Even something like Neon Genesis Evangelion has its flaws, and I - imho - think it's easily the best of them all in a lot of ways.

Everything has flaws so by that measure no, but I would call Evangelion, Giant Robo, Big O, maybe Escaflowne and Macross Plus masterpieces. Gunbuster is close and probably some others I'm forgetting.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was trying to think of A Gundam for my list and for whatever reason my brain skipped over both 0800 and Turn A, the only real contenders.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anonymous Robot posted:

I just can’t figure out how one sees Giant Robo without shelling out $100+.

Torrent sites

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Depressing that there's nothing made past 1996 on anyone's list lol Even 'more recent' good stuff I can think of like Eureka 7 and Shin Mazinger are like 15 years old.
Always Gridman I guess

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

EVOL is fairly decent, the first series was pretty awful though and I couldn't even make it through one episode of the third.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drrockso20 posted:

Pretty much the only thing I've heard people say was good about Macross II is 1) some of the mecha designs are neat, and 2) that it had a neat little arcade game

The soundtrack is amazing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ninjewtsu posted:

question: what are the good mecha animes that have, like, adult main characters/aren't about child soldiers

Big O

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't bother reading this page

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is the original Raideen subbed, I'm kinda interested now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guess I'll wait then, cheers

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm not dying anytime soon

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not as good as the OP but its decent. If you've seen Escaflowne it's funny how much stuff that borrows from it lol.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's probably better than Garzey's Wing at least lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GorfZaplen posted:

I actually went and looked at the dub version and it's remarkably intact. They cut out the middle finger obviously and some of the more gratuitous and shocking violent scenes but it kept the same plotline and everything! It must have been mind blowing to see something so action packed and downer in a cartoon as a 90s kid

Watch Ulysses 31 some time, it was one of the earliest Saban French/Japanese co productions that ran constantly on TV here when I was a kid and every episode is insanely loving tragic lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh nice, it got a zero effort DVD release here but that's it

E: oh god the one with Nono's girlfriend :negative:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watch The Guyver if you haven't

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well let's go through them:

Original 1 episode OVA: not great, made when there was literally one volume of manga available and takes huge liberties with what little story there is, also added tentacle rape to something that had none

Early 90's 6 episode OVA's (X2): First six episodes are pretty decent though it still takes a bunch of liberties (for example the Hyper Zoanoid Team Five all like die in two episodes when they're major antagonists in the manga and are mostly still alive), second set of six has major budget issues and starts turning into admire show pretty rapidly

2000's TV series: most faithful, biggest issue is toning down the gore for TV but that's it. Well other than it ending in the exact same place the old OVA's did! :argh:

Live action movies: eh, the first has some good practical effects but basically turns everything into a comedy, the second all I remember is it starring Solid Snake.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Akito had good fights I dont remember anything else

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the ova was at least better than any of the cg movies.

It's not it's just bad in a different direction

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Steins; Gate was pretty good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One advantage is that Alternative doesn't have a bunch of different routes they have to make coherent in something linear so the only problem is the sheer length

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Heh ballzack

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Of course a cruise missile and giant sword are bigger than her head???

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wow that sounds incredibly wrong without the song we got in the EU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

wielder posted:

Speaking of Orguss 02, it's falso unny how they have a different theme song for the OP when you switch audio tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENR6vUqeZpo

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNuyy65LjI4

It wasn't unusual for anime to have their soundtracks messed with in the west in the 90's, Dominion Tank Police and The Guyver both had new ops and a few, such as Cyber City Oedo and the Street Fighter 2 movie, had their soundtracks completely replaced, presumably to make it 'cooler' sounding for westerners. Manga Entertainment especially loved doing that.

Orguss 02 is a weird one though because unless I'm missing something the dub op also sounds like it's being sung in Japanese.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly at this point the most refreshing thing they could do with Devilman is something more in line with the original Toei anime than aping the manga again

Make an incredibly boring monster of the week show?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ELO was popular in Japan huh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aldnoah Zero always makes me sad because it had a ton of stuff laser targeted at me and started out so well and turned to utter poo poo lol