Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

"What the loving blimey" I believe were my exact words!

It's shame they have to spoil everything with that coming next time right at the end - I know everyone was fairly convinced that he was going to be okay, but at least leave us with lingering doubts something might happen, don't ruin it by showing us next week's episode and removing any dramatic tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
That was awful, can someone gif it please?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
All I was able to find was

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Dead Goon posted:

It's shame they have to spoil everything with that coming next time right at the end - I know everyone was fairly convinced that he was going to be okay, but at least leave us with lingering doubts something might happen, don't ruin it by showing us next week's episode and removing any dramatic tension.

The cliffhanger "Tune in next week to find out!!!!!!" bullshit is something I can do without, honestly, I'm glad they didn't bother with it.

A gif of Lord Grantham turning into a blood fountain in the middle of dinner floating around the internet should be help bring back some former viewers, at least for an episode or two.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Boatswain posted:

That was awful, can someone gif it please?

This was the best I could find.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Episode Six Prediction: Robert himself is arrested for the death of Mr. Green in Piccadilly Square. George Murray quits the legal profession. Mrs. Hughes quietly regrets indicating she was DTF. Ivy returns to announce her engagement to Mr. Levinson as the Tom-as-black-sheep plot has been wrung dry thrice over.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

shadow puppet of a posted:

Episode Six Prediction: Robert himself is arrested for the death of Mr. Green in Piccadilly Square. George Murray quits the legal profession. Mrs. Hughes quietly regrets indicating she was DTF. Ivy returns to announce her engagement to Mr. Levinson as the Tom-as-black-sheep plot has been wrung dry thrice over.

In a thrilling cliffhanger, Mrs. Hughes starts a fire in the Downton kitchen while Miss Patmore tries to teach her how to cook. Miss Patmore immolates, and the fate of Downton itself remains to be seen.

The last shot is Daisy looking like a deer caught in the headlights.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Mrs. Hughes beats Mr. Carson to death because he condescends and sneers at her one too many times. Thomas helps her hide the body and Mr. and Mrs. Bates get arrested because they always do.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
It turns out that Carson and Barrow have switched bodies.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Dead Goon posted:

Mrs. Hughes beats Mr. Carson to death because he condescends and sneers at her one too many times. Thomas helps her hide the body and Mr. and Mrs. Bates get arrested because they always do.

In his last throws of death Carson reminds Mrs. Hughes that she should check in for a lesson with the stablemaster on how he prefers to beat a sickly foal to death, as her choice of maul lacks the sharp corners that he so prefers.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
And also the ivy crawling up the sides of their married home is eating away at the mortar. Why, Mrs. Hughes, are you not reacting to this vile entrenchment~

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Was it just me or did the school master look identical to Molesley?

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I've never really hated Daisy up until that past episode.

For gently caress's sake, let Mrs. Patmore get her Netflix and Chill on.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Hey Barrow, maybe if you wanted people to trust you then don't be a smug slimy rear end in a top hat to literally everyone else you work with and make them hate you.

"You seriously don't trust me?"

"Barrow, are you loving kidding me? You're a dick to literally everyone who works here and you are again taking a special interest in a young male footman."

:gonk:"MY LIFE IS SO SAD":gonk:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I did feel a tiny bit sorry for Thomas - clearly Andy was leaving his room because Thomas had made good on his offer to help him learn to read.

I know Thomas has form for being a complete and total dick, but I really hope that this time he is really trying to do something good for a change.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Barrow's character growth might be the single redeeming quality of this season. There's this book learning thing here (and he's even keeping quiet about it!), and then telling the rear end in a top hat who was chomping at the bit to hire him on to go gently caress himself.

But she show needs a giant dick in order to exist, I suppose. Hi, Daisy.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I don't know that this really counts as character growth for Barrow. Like every other plot line*, it's been done in previous seasons. Barrow was an insufferably smug rear end in a top hat for many years, then was about to be sacked and suddenly it's all terribly unfair.

*The only new plot line, which is the best plot line ever, is Lord Grantham turning into a fountain of blood during dinner.

Edit: The peasant kid wandering into his bedroom, and him just rolling with it was pretty cool.

Edit 2:

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 27, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah, so sorry but Barrow is not a sympathetic character, no matter what you do. From the start

- Rampant thieving
- Making Bates look bad as poo poo on his first day in order to fire him
- Constant stealing
- Trying to frame Bates for theft
- Coming back during the war, being a smug, demanding rear end in a top hat to the servants
- Trying to con Lord Granthem into hiring him by "saving" the dog
- Is gay (back then really bad)
- Made sexual assault on James
- Continued to be rude and condescending as gently caress to the others
- Never stopped being rude and condescending as gently caress

So yeah, any sensible person would look at the secret meetings between 30s Barrow and 18 year old new guy as shady as gently caress and not trust Thomas' word on it.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

pentyne posted:

Hey Barrow, maybe if you wanted people to trust you then don't be a smug slimy rear end in a top hat to literally everyone else you work with and make them hate you.

"You seriously don't trust me?"

"Barrow, are you loving kidding me? You're a dick to literally everyone who works here and you are again taking a special interest in a young male footman."

:gonk:"MY LIFE IS SO SAD":gonk:

Ya its impossible for me to feel sorry for him when he's spent most if not all of his adult life trying to knock everyone down around him every 3 seconds.

Mouse Dresser posted:

I've never really hated Daisy up until that past episode.

For gently caress's sake, let Mrs. Patmore get her Netflix and Chill on.

Daisy has been utterly obnoxious ever since she got a bad case of College Freshman Syndrome. This recent plotline has only made her even worse.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

You missed weaseling his way into what he thought would be a rear-echelon position and getting deliberately shot to get out of it.

Also going 100x too far with getting revenge on Lord Sinderby's butler.

And I think he flubbed steps 7 and 8 of his "grizzly bear" dance too. Should have been a half-turn shimmy before the claw-step.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
And there's that time he tried to sell smuggled black market food during post war rationing.

And there's that time he got his cousin or aunt or whoever she is hired, knowing she was a criminal, then blackmailed her into spying for him.

And there's that time like the whole house banded together to get him a good letter of recommendation instead of just getting thrown out because they cared about him, and it backfired and instead he got hired as the under-butler and has been throwing that poo poo in everyone's face since.

I'm sure it sucks to be a gay dude in 1910s/1920s England, but basically ever character in the show has, at one time or another, gone out of their way to do him a favor, and he always repays then by making GBS threads all over them constantly. gently caress that dude.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

You missed weaseling his way into what he thought would be a rear-echelon position and getting deliberately shot to get out of it.

Can't blame him for that though. It appears that fighting in the trenches during the Great War was incredibly awful.

Well done! The most hilarious narrative thread in the series; Lord Downton's stomach ache.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Boatswain posted:

Can't blame him for that though. It appears that fighting in the trenches during the Great War was incredibly awful.

Yet after all the horror and death he saw the first thing he does when back home is act smug as gently caress to Carson and berate the rest of the servants whenever he can.

Also, would new footman being illiterate really be a huge deal? It was the 1920s, pretty sure nobody went past primary school other then the middle/upper classes. Barrow could just say that it was a personal matter between him and new guy and he'd need Carson to ask him so as not to betray his confidence.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

pentyne posted:

Yet after all the horror and death he saw the first thing he does when back home is act smug as gently caress to Carson and berate the rest of the servants whenever he can.

Also, would new footman being illiterate really be a huge deal? It was the 1920s, pretty sure nobody went past primary school other then the middle/upper classes. Barrow could just say that it was a personal matter between him and new guy and he'd need Carson to ask him so as not to betray his confidence.

I won't argue that Barrow isn't an incredible rear end in a top hat :v:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Hey now
The James thing was at least as much O'Briens fault

I miss O'Brien

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Episode Seven Prediction: Mrs Patmore is shot for cowardice when she refuses to go all the way (hand holding) on her 3rd date with Mr. Mason. She is mourned with a small plaque in the pantry, which nobody is allowed to visit as Mrs. Hughes has the only key. Bertie Pelham marries Edith but immediately brings the family name into disrepute when he launches the very first "Reader's Wives" section from within his wife's magazine, which makes him a pariah but also the only Crawley to make a useful, lasting impact on anything ever. Thomas is spurned for his Thomasness and scorned for his Thomasity. Cousin Isobel eats a whole, raw Bedfordshire Champion onion at the dinner table in a further display of the changing times, to Cousin Violet's open discontent.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Just caught up with this season and uggggggh Daisy is the worst. Is there any reason she's being such a dick to Mrs. Patmore other than because?

Also, I will shoot the TV the next time someone makes a painfully forced comment about "things being different these days!" Which means I'll have to shoot my TV 35 times an episode. Sigh.

But I still can't stop watching for some reason. I blame Lord Grantham's blood fountain for drawing me back in. And Mary's clothes, that too. :argh:

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Episode Seven Prediction: Mrs Patmore is shot for cowardice when she refuses to go all the way (hand holding) on her 3rd date with Mr. Mason. She is mourned with a small plaque in the pantry, which nobody is allowed to visit as Mrs. Hughes has the only key. Bertie Pelham marries Edith but immediately brings the family name into disrepute when he launches the very first "Reader's Wives" section from within his wife's magazine, which makes him a pariah but also the only Crawley to make a useful, lasting impact on anything ever. Thomas is spurned for his Thomasness and scorned for his Thomasity. Cousin Isobel eats a whole, raw Bedfordshire Champion onion at the dinner table in a further display of the changing times, to Cousin Violet's open discontent.

This is the most beautiful thing I have ever read in my entire life.

This is my new series ending canon.

:allears:

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

FoxTerrier posted:

Just caught up with this season and uggggggh Daisy is the worst. Is there any reason she's being such a dick to Mrs. Patmore other than because?

Because she doesn't want to "share" her father-in-law the old man, I think? It is strange and creepy.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Boatswain posted:

Because she doesn't want to "share" her father-in-law the old man, I think? It is strange and creepy.

That's the only thing I can think of too, but it is so strange and creepy that I was hoping there was some other less weirdo explanation I missed.

Apparently not!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Or, maybe she's just a jackass. She didn't want to marry Mr. Mason's son, and she didn't want to befriend him in the first place. She's been sneering throughout her entire character arc.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

So which episode does Barrow commit suicide in?

2:1 odds that he hangs himself off of the staircase with the new dog's lead.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

They need a new Mosley though. And what looks to be a new Mrs. Patmore too based on Inspector Clouseau of His Majesty's Bed And Breakfast Inspectorate being hot on her trail.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Mrs. Patmore is going to be arrested by that red-faced police officer for the murder of Barrow.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Mrs. Patmore is cool and good the 5-o need to back the gently caress.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
This series really goes for the "first as tragedy, then as farce" dictum. Matthew Goode is too good for this series though.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Disappointing lack of Ancient Egyptian knowledge there from Edith.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

It was a nice throwback to the way they used to bandy about references to Greek literature in the early seasons. Even the bottom-ranker downstairs staff had a functional knowledge of the classics that would outpace any of today's graduating highschool students. Throw out an Iphigenia today and see where it gets you.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Throw out an Iphigenia today and see where it gets you.

Your ships show up in Troy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I really hate Barrow's endless pendulum swing between insufferable rear end in a top hat and sad sack. He should go to Paris and join a gay vaudeville act or something.

The best possible way to finish the show would be to have Mrs. Patmore get arrested, and immediately confess that it was her all along who killed Valet Raperson, and then the family is never seen on screen again, the rest of the time is devoted to Cousin Violet in the Mediterranean. Maybe someone there can finally explain to her what a weekend is.

• Locked thread