Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

MarsDragon posted:

This sounds cool, and I'm looking for lots of stuff I can watch that week. Hopefully most of it's available streaming, I don't have a lot of cash to spend on DVDs right now.

All the shows are on youtube, according to Gorf. The movies don't have physical releases other than Horus, kinda doubt they're streaming at any legal outlets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/cms/.93334 This is very cool and nicely timed.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Bad news: Toei is hitting me with copyright claims on my Sally the Witch videos. Episode 3 is down. This might be a big sweep of all subbed Toei shows on youtube

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 1, 2015

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Bad news: Toei is hitting me with copyright claims on my Sally the Witch videos. Episode 3 is down. This might be a big sweep of all subbed Toei shows on youtube

Yikes! I might have to find another show if they hit the rest. Thankfully Dororo and Sabu/ Ichi aren't owned by Toei, as far as I know.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulQ5jumhk1Y
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanpaku_Ōji_no_Orochi_Taiji
So we gonna watch this thing tomorrow? Anyone know where to get it?

v rad

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 4, 2015

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm going to write up a little post about tomorrow's stuff later tonight!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I don't know if it's still licensed, but I haven't had any luck finding an old physical copy online. It's in the usual places for files though.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Little Prince and the Eight Headed Dragon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulQ5jumhk1Y

Wanpaku Oji no Orochi Taiji is an early Toei Doga film, and the earliest chronologically of the anime I selected for this thread. The film is based on various myths about the storm god Susanoo, albeit altered to be family friendly somewhat. You've probably seen or heard the orochi myth many times already in various anime and videogames! While their previous film, the Adventures of Sinbad, had leaned heavy on the Disney aesthetic, Little Prince instead took influence from classic Japanese woodblock prints and paintings. While looking for a good poster image I came across this:

Which is a good example!

This film is one of two animated features that legendary film composer Akira Ifukube worked on, and is famous in Japanese animation circles. It also has fans in the West; Genndy Tartavosky cites it as a major inspiration for Samurai Jack.

I picked it because it's a very pretty anime, especially for the time it was made, and because it's a film that draws on Japanese myth and art for inspiration, which contrasts with a Toei film we'll watch later this week.

Here's the blog I got that image from, which seems like a pretty great blog in general if you're interested in Japanese cinema: http://nishikataeiga.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-little-prince-and-eight-headed.html
And here is an album containing the concept art for Susanoo and Kushinada. http://imgur.com/a/CpIaR

Sally the Witch

Sally the Witch is the first magical girl series ever broadcast, and possibly the first shoujo series. The genre isn't quite about fighting monsters at this point; it's more or less a comedy cartoon like Tom & Jerry. Mitsuteru Yokoyama claimed that he was inspired by the American TV show Bewitched. The show is about a little girl from the magic world who comes to our world to make friends, and causes a lot of mischief with her magic while also trying to keep her powers a secret. It's vastly different from magical girl shows as we know them now, while still having some of the elements that persist even today. I picked it because it's an early shoujo anime by an author who's probably best known for his robot shows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHV2OESP5t0 Episode 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq7ufTpw76c Episode 2

I was originally thinking to start the simulwatch at 7 PM EST/2PM GMT, but I got hit with a shift at work! I probably won't be able to watch until 11PM EST/6PM GMT, which might be a little late! I think it'd work best for most people if we start at 7, so feel free to start without me; I've seen this movie many many times, and I'm more interested in your reactions! You don't have to follow the simulwatch times either; feel free to watch it whenever you want. The important part is to watch and enjoy good anime!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Akira Ifukube is the poo poo and this eight headed dragon movie looks rad

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Zas posted:

Akira Ifukube is the poo poo and this eight headed dragon movie looks rad

Agreed, I'll be watching it starting at 7 or 8 EST, as soon as I get home. I'm not sure if I can stay up for Sally the Witch tonight, but if not then I'll catch it tomorrow.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll be watching at 7 EST, Eight-Headed Dragon looks cool

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I won't be able to begin until sometime after 9pm CDT, and I don't know how much I'll get to tonight, but I'm excited!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I missed the last couple simuls so I'm gonna make sure to catch this one in an hour or so.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

this is today right? i'm going to make some food and then watch it

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Where do we watch these? Is there an offsite stream and chat or something?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Davincie posted:

this is today right? i'm going to make some food and then watch it

I was going to do this until I realized this wasn't on YouTube so now I'm gonna watch the old rear end Mahou shojo show instead

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I can't seem to find the movie with subtitles. :(

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its on baka.bt

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Davincie posted:

its on baka.bt

no subs, just dubs

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I am gonna have to catch this one later this week because my brutal cold means I won't be able to focus on anime, but I hope everyone has fun.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

no subs, just dubs

watching it subbed right now

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Seeding for my anime friends.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

update: divx would either not play subs and when it did, it wouldn't play the audio track

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ah, the elusive male pantyshot

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the rabbit is cute and reminds me of the rabbit from bambi

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

fans of japanese mythology will enjoy this film

also lol stupid fish

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I started with Sally the Witch first and it was very fun. Very Looney Toons/Tom and Jerry-esque.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

the shot where they're crossing a river and you only see them in the reflection is a really nice shot

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

update: divx would either not play subs and when it did, it wouldn't play the audio track

lol divx

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

this film is a very sanitized version of shinto

reminds me of what disney did to cinderella and snow white

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the dance sequence is really good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I watched the first episode of Sally the Witch and while its neat to see a little artifact from the period I wouldn't want to watch another episode.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I don't know if it's the recording or the way they filmed the cells but the camera seems like its sliding all over the place in Sally

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Parallax posted:

I don't know if it's the recording or the way they filmed the cells but the camera seems like its sliding all over the place in Sally

that's just the first episode, it gets better

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I might be wrong, but Sally's dad is either a super villain or Satan

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

My favorite thing about Sally is how bad she is at normal human life

She can't do anything without magic

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i finished the movie. there were some nice sequences, the dance one in particular, but i struggled to keep paying attention. don't know if that's because the fact that its a kids movie or because of its age. probably the former since the animation certainly didn't suffer from being old

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Davincie posted:

i finished the movie. there were some nice sequences, the dance one in particular, but i struggled to keep paying attention. don't know if that's because the fact that its a kids movie or because of its age. probably the former since the animation certainly didn't suffer from being old

i thought that the rabbit was annoying as gently caress

i would have liked it more if it was more subdued

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The triangles in the Crystal Ball remind me of a proto-triforce. Am I the only one who likes the rabbit character?

• Locked thread