Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

:siren:Only the JAPANESE side should be reading this thread! :siren:

Reference map:

Chain of Command
Japan:
Leadership Roles:
- Chief of Army: Epicurius
- Chief of Navy: jng2058

Operational Roles:
- Commanding Officer Combined Fleet HQ: Taran_Wanderer
- Commanding Officer South Seas HQ: Taran_Wanderer
- Commanding Officer South HQ: Tevery Best

It's December 1941: the attack on Pearl Harbour is about to begin.

d10 = 3 + 3 from surprise attack for a result of 6 (One).

Your attack factors: 10 (Soryu) + 12 (Akagi) + 14 (Shokaku) = 36.

Current Allied forces on Oahu:

New Orleans (CA) 9-8, MD/CA (BB) 15-10, 7th AF 10-10-2, 7th AF (LRB) 4-10-6

Defense factors are halved for the purposes of Operation Z.

Action Queue:
-- Taran_Wanderer: Allocate hits on enemies and perform post-battle movement.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Chief of Navy

May the Emperor's light lead us to victory! I expect to hear good things about your attack, Commander of the Combined Fleet!

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Whee. Guess we'll just do this one by the numbers. Eliminate MD/CA (BB), 7th AF, 7th AF (LRB) and reduce New Orleans (CA). PBM everyone to Tokyo.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

IAI

Since this turn doesn't really work like the rest of the game, what needs to be done is the following:

• Leadership roles to come up with general plans of invasion and primary objectives for the IAI operation
  • The Combined Fleet HQ will be activated first and follow directives given by leadership roles
  • South HQ will be activated second and follow directives given by leadership roles
  • South Seas HQ will be activated third and follow directives given by leadership roles

I will provide a better map tonight: in the meanwhile, if you have access to Vassal, I would suggest to have a view there. Otherwise, I will provide a list of all your current forces.

HQ are present in Kure (Combined Fleet, range 13, Efficiency 3), Saigon (South, range 10, Efficiency 1) and Truk (South Seas HQ, range 12, Efficiency 2).

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Tekopo posted:

HQ are present in Kure (Combined Fleet, range 13, Efficiency 3), Saigon (South, range 10, Efficiency 1) and Truk (South Seas HQ, range 12, Efficiency 2).

The South HQ has a range of 12 with the reprint.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Whoops, was using the counter stats from BGG but I guess those are old ones!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Here's the current map:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
*********TOP SECRET***************

To: All Commanders, Army of the Empire of Japan

Because provocations by the governments of the United States of America and Great Britain have become intolerable, because their support for anti-Japanese forces in China prevent peace, and because their actions limit vital national interests, it has been found necessary to carry out plans for war against these nations and liberate the peoples of Asia from their control.

Therefore, the Japanese Army is ordered to take and hold the following locations:

1. The City of Hong Kong
2. The Malayan Peninsula and the City of Singapore
3. The cities of Manila and Davao in the Philippines.
4. The oil producing areas in the Dutch West Indies, specifically the island of Borneo.

Local Headquarters have operational control to carry out these orders, and to use the forces necessary to achieve these objectives

Await further instructions from the Chief of Staff of the Navy for island targets and naval coordination with Army units.

Banzai!

In other words, those are your land targets. jng2058 has some additional island targets that I think will be primarily naval affairs.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Are these supposed to be for this turn, or just "for now"? I'd honestly much rather just block Singapore off for now, then take it next turn. The amphibious landing penalties for the turn make it definitely not worth it to go there.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Those are objectives for the turn, to the extent they're practicable. My thoughts were that you could send the army in Indochina down into Malaya this turn rather than an amphibious landing in Singapore, which, like you said, has a lot of penalties. Even if you're not able to do it all this turn. if you take out the unit in Kuantan this turn, you'll be poised to hit Singapore next turn..

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
The only way to attack Kuantan this turn is an amphibious landing (you can't enter an enemy hex with rail movement), and the only units I could use for it are one-step (unless you let me divert the 14th Army from its attack on Luzon and replace it with the reduced 25th Army, in which case we'd have to perform a non-contested landing on Luzon). That would still be risky - although the 3rd Indian Corps in Kuantan would be definitely dead, it could kill our army on a lucky roll (7 or better, and they'd get a +3 modifier).

In conclusion, I estimate that moving against the Malaya forces is premature. One thing we could do is move to Khota Bharu on foot. Then I commandeer the Nagato (it's juuuust within my activation range), send it to a coast hex within their aircraft range and go to town. They react with both Force Z and the MA air unit (if I understand the card text correctly, it has to react if it's within range? Or is that up to the enemy? Tekopo, please clarify), so they have a grand total of 14 attack to our 40, we strike first and it's a surprise attack. Meaning, if we roll a 3 or better, we just annihilate their air and naval assets in the peninsula and then drop an air division in Kuala Lumpur. This prevents Malaya HQ from activating, shuts down its supply line and basically means we can take it at our leisure, saving us activations next turn.

The 25th Army can then probably be sent to Bangkok in order to maintain pressure on Burma, or be used in the invasion of Borneo (Philippines don't really need much ground presence once we destroy their air force).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Force Z has to react to any naval unit entering a malaysian coastal hex , the air-force in singapore can't.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Currently waiting on jng2058 to give orders as well. If he doesn't respond, feel free to perform actions as necessary, HQs.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Tekopo posted:

Force Z has to react to any naval unit entering a malaysian coastal hex , the air-force in singapore can't.

IAI says "No Allied air ZOI during Offensive, but if not in battle hex auto participates in battle within range".

(Check in your physical copy, Vassal has 1st Ed. card scans, and IAI has different text there.)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, I'm just checking the cards. If you do the historical landings, that rule doesn't really even come up (because Khota Baru is out of range).

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Yeah, but the entire plan would be to lure them out and gib them. Will it work or not? I'm not sure what that card is trying to say exactly.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It means that if something is in within range (I assume not extended range), the air will participate. Force Z will participate no matter what as long as you do a landing in the Malaya. The reaction player has no choice if to use his airforce/force Z or not.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Bingo, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

EDIT: That means that unless Taran_Wanderer has something very specific he intends to do with the Nagano, I'd request he not move it. I need it specifically over the Kongo, otherwise I'd have to get cruisers involved and those are needed for invasions.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 25, 2015

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Tevery Best posted:

Bingo, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

EDIT: That means that unless Taran_Wanderer has something very specific he intends to do with the Nagano, I'd request he not move it. I need it specifically over the Kongo, otherwise I'd have to get cruisers involved and those are needed for invasions.

That should be fine. As this is my first time going through the IAI, I'm mostly going to follow the historical invasion plan.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Unfortunately they're very risky around the Philippines. Make sure you double-check them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Combined HQ feel free to start making orders.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
How many ASPs do you want?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
That depends. Who's doing Borneo?

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Tevery Best posted:

That depends. Who's doing Borneo?

Hmm. I'll get it.

Edit: Actually, the only (important) space we can take on Borneo is Miri, due to the restriction on where the Japanese can Amphibious Assault, right?

Taran_Wanderer fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 26, 2015

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Good catch. So, I'll just need 1 ASP to move those guys from Hainan to Bangkok, I'll take Miri for free with my SNLF.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Reminder that if you capture Bangkok beforehand you don't need to use ASP.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Oh, right! Focus on killing Philippines, then. I don't need any ASP.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Alright then, let's get this train wreck rollin'.

17th army attacks Hong Kong.
ED army attacks Aparri.
3rd AD, 4th AD, 21st AF, and 23rd AF attack Clark Field.
16th army, 1st SN, CA Nachi, and CVL Ryuho attack Davao.
BB Kongo attacks Samar/Leyte.

That should do it for the Philippines to start. I guess I'll use anything leftover after your move to take secondary targets (Biak, Rabaul, Guam, Wake).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

South can send their orders in as well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

11 Activations used, 4 ASP Used, new map:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
BB Nagato from Kure to hex 2113, triggering the Force Z response
22nd Air from Saigon attacks the Force Z battle hex
15th Army from Phnom Penh to Kota Bharu, via Bangkok, Singora
38th Army from Pnom Penh to Kuala Lumpur, via Bangkok, Singora, Jitra
25th Army from Hainan strat move to Bangkok
CA Mogami, 2 SNLF from Cam Ranh to Miri (0 ASP)

That's it for the south. 6 activations, 0 ASP. Taran, if you're left with some leftovers, consider tossing me the army at Shanghai and/or the air force at Peiping - no reason to have them rot in China, and my Turn 3 Burma offensive is gonna need them.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Tevery Best posted:

That's it for the south. 6 activations, 0 ASP. Taran, if you're left with some leftovers, consider tossing me the army at Shanghai and/or the air force at Peiping - no reason to have them rot in China, and my Turn 3 Burma offensive is gonna need them.

We've got 9 activations left, right? I should be able to spare something.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I count 7 activations btw, map up soon.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
You're right, I miscounted. That's 7 activations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Alright, South Seas, feel free to give orders.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
19th Army attacks Biak.
4th SN Brigade attacks Guam.
APD Kamikaze and 3rd SN Brigade attack Rabaul.
SS Brigade, CA Aoba, and CVL Zuiho attack Wake.
35th army moves to Bangkok.

I think that's everything!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Battle in Malaysian Coast (2113)

Attackers: Nagato (20-14), 22nd AF (20-10)
Reaction: Force Z (8-10), MA (6-9)

Attackers have surprise: d10 = 7 + 3 = 10 (1)

Both Force Z and MA are destroyed.

Battle of Clark Field (2812)

Attackers: 3rd AD (20-10), 4th AD (20-10), 21st AF (16-10), 23rd AF (16-10)
Reaction: FEAF (8-10), 19th Air LRB (2-9-6)

Attackers have surprise: d10 = 9 + 3 = 12 (1 and crit)

Both FEAF and 19th Air LRB are destroyed.

Battle of Samar/Leyte (3014)

Attackers: Kongo (13-14)
Reaction: US Asia CA (4-6)

Attackers have surprise: d10 = 5 + 3 = 8 (1)

US Asia CA destroyed.

Battle of Davao (2915)

Air-Naval

Attackers: Nachi (10-10), Ryujo (6-8)

Attackers have surprise: d10 = 7 + 3 = 10 (1)

Mindanao Corps (3-10) take a step loss

Ground Combat

Attackers: 1SN (4-6), 16th Army (9-12)
Reaction: Mindanao Corps (1-10)

Attackers have air and naval superiority and are attacking in mixed: d10 = 6 + 2 = 8 (1.5)
Reactions are defending against amphibious assault: d10 = 5 + 3 = 8 (1.5)

Mindanao Corps destroyed. Not enough hits done by allies to damage anyone.

Battle of Wake Island

Air-Naval

Attackers: Aoba (12-10), Zuiho (8-8)
Reaction: 211 (1-8)

Attackers have surprise: d10 = 2 + 3 = 5 (0.5)

211 is destroyed (one step unit)

Ground Combat

Attackers: SS (6-6)
Defenders: Wake Marines (2-6)

Attackers have air and naval superiority: d10 = 2 + 4 = 6 (1)
Reaction are defending against amphibious invasion: d10 = 3 + 3 = 6 (1)

Wake Marines destroyed. Not enough hits done to cause damage by the allies.

Action Queue:
-- Japanese HQs: Post-Battle Movement.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Urgh I forgot Hong-Kong but that battle is a foregone conclusion no matter the dice rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
22 AD to Kuala Lumpur
Nagato to Mindanao, prime condition, just like when I borrowed it
Mogami stays in Miri

• Locked thread