Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Are these supposed to be for this turn, or just "for now"? I'd honestly much rather just block Singapore off for now, then take it next turn. The amphibious landing penalties for the turn make it definitely not worth it to go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
The only way to attack Kuantan this turn is an amphibious landing (you can't enter an enemy hex with rail movement), and the only units I could use for it are one-step (unless you let me divert the 14th Army from its attack on Luzon and replace it with the reduced 25th Army, in which case we'd have to perform a non-contested landing on Luzon). That would still be risky - although the 3rd Indian Corps in Kuantan would be definitely dead, it could kill our army on a lucky roll (7 or better, and they'd get a +3 modifier).

In conclusion, I estimate that moving against the Malaya forces is premature. One thing we could do is move to Khota Bharu on foot. Then I commandeer the Nagato (it's juuuust within my activation range), send it to a coast hex within their aircraft range and go to town. They react with both Force Z and the MA air unit (if I understand the card text correctly, it has to react if it's within range? Or is that up to the enemy? Tekopo, please clarify), so they have a grand total of 14 attack to our 40, we strike first and it's a surprise attack. Meaning, if we roll a 3 or better, we just annihilate their air and naval assets in the peninsula and then drop an air division in Kuala Lumpur. This prevents Malaya HQ from activating, shuts down its supply line and basically means we can take it at our leisure, saving us activations next turn.

The 25th Army can then probably be sent to Bangkok in order to maintain pressure on Burma, or be used in the invasion of Borneo (Philippines don't really need much ground presence once we destroy their air force).

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Tekopo posted:

Force Z has to react to any naval unit entering a malaysian coastal hex , the air-force in singapore can't.

IAI says "No Allied air ZOI during Offensive, but if not in battle hex auto participates in battle within range".

(Check in your physical copy, Vassal has 1st Ed. card scans, and IAI has different text there.)

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Yeah, but the entire plan would be to lure them out and gib them. Will it work or not? I'm not sure what that card is trying to say exactly.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Bingo, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

EDIT: That means that unless Taran_Wanderer has something very specific he intends to do with the Nagano, I'd request he not move it. I need it specifically over the Kongo, otherwise I'd have to get cruisers involved and those are needed for invasions.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 25, 2015

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Unfortunately they're very risky around the Philippines. Make sure you double-check them.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
That depends. Who's doing Borneo?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Good catch. So, I'll just need 1 ASP to move those guys from Hainan to Bangkok, I'll take Miri for free with my SNLF.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Oh, right! Focus on killing Philippines, then. I don't need any ASP.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
BB Nagato from Kure to hex 2113, triggering the Force Z response
22nd Air from Saigon attacks the Force Z battle hex
15th Army from Phnom Penh to Kota Bharu, via Bangkok, Singora
38th Army from Pnom Penh to Kuala Lumpur, via Bangkok, Singora, Jitra
25th Army from Hainan strat move to Bangkok
CA Mogami, 2 SNLF from Cam Ranh to Miri (0 ASP)

That's it for the south. 6 activations, 0 ASP. Taran, if you're left with some leftovers, consider tossing me the army at Shanghai and/or the air force at Peiping - no reason to have them rot in China, and my Turn 3 Burma offensive is gonna need them.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
You're right, I miscounted. That's 7 activations.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
22 AD to Kuala Lumpur
Nagato to Mindanao, prime condition, just like when I borrowed it
Mogami stays in Miri

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Given that this turn we're on a timer to grab the DEI harbours to prevent Arcadia, I'd recommend sending both the planes and the infantry to Miri. The infantry only has one step, so it's pretty great for amphibious landings against the weak Dutch regiments, and the planes could help drop Paratroopers, if we draw any.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I'm not particularly worried about being able to take the DEI. I don't think they can even play ABDA, as all of their HQ's are being suppressed, so I'd argue for putting our reinforcement elsewhere. The 28th army could go in Bangkok with a replacement from China for our eventual Burma offensives. The 25th AF can be put in Wake or Rabaul to help in those areas.

The problem is, there are already two units in Bangkok waiting to start hitting Burma, and we don't really need to get on it right away. Attacking now won't seriously impact their ability to reinforce it, they'll do it anyway, so that campaign is going to be equally difficult now and in two turns. Planes at Rabaul and Wake won't give us any new offensive options, they'd be purely defensive deployments, and there's just nothing to defend those places from right now. But if we just let them place ABDA, then next turn they can just drop reinforcements almost anywhere in the DEI and New Guinea and seriously delay our capture of the resource hexes.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Yeah, for the time being, infantry replacements are actively harmful, since we need those guys to take weakly-defended islands. They'd just waste the ASPs.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Epicurius posted:

Oops. HQ is South HQ. Aim of the offensive is to advance into the Philippines.

The Philippines? Are you sure? I don't really see a reason to hurry that up.

EDIT: also, if you really wanna do the Philippines, Combined Fleet is going to be a lot better. Basically, anyone is better unless you want to push western and southern DEI or the Malayas.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
It's not that I don't like that, I just wanted to make sure if you didn't mistype it or something. I wouldn't worry about reinforcements to the Philippines, since they have nothing that can move there now (and it would be pretty much suicidal anyway), and reinforcements have to be placed in an in-supply hex (so, nowhere in the Philippines). The only thing we have to worry about there is the possibility of them evacuating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
As long as we put planes in Batavia, we don't need to attack Tjilatjap this instant, I think. It would neutralize their main candidate for Arcadia Conference (anywhere else would make killing it hilariously easy).

• Locked thread