Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Budget Prefuse posted:

it's weird when people do that to be honest

You got owned dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

In Training posted:

You got owned dude.
these posts are even worse actually

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Davincie posted:

i want both

i'm not upset that there wasn't a kiss but it was definitely disappointing and i'm not reading books to find out lol

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i wish oreki had actually said what he imagined saying, at the end

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

Overall, there's just so many little things that happen in Haruhi that happen for Kyon's benefit and Kyon's benefit alone.

What about Endless 8? How does that arc make sense if Kyon is God? Was Kyon that desperate to finish his homework or something?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Cake Attack posted:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

he will

It would be kinda weird if he just busted that out right there when they're not even dating yet and aren't even done with highschool.

But he totally will.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The 69 Shirt!!!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I like how I can tell who has what score, without being able to read the Japanese.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Haha, you guys weren't kidding when you said EE 2 was drenched in sex.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

I like how I can tell who has what score, without being able to read the Japanese.

I like Yuki's score the best - though it took me a second to see what she was doing.

GorfZaplen posted:

Haha, you guys weren't kidding when you said EE 2 was drenched in sex.

I think Haruhi was really hoping to bang on that iteration.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

GorfZaplen posted:

So is that another well-known number pattern, or did Yuki just want to go 123454321 for her score?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

yo he didnt need to. they were in their first year of high school you knew they were 100% in love it didnt need to be heavy handed. the whole show was about the gradual progression of Oreki moving past wanting a boring, energy conserving, and gray high school life to a more rose colored one like Satoshi was always talking about. Oreki spent the whole series in like a never ending gray winter, and he had forgotten about the promise of spring. that is until Chitanda entered his life with a burst of color. in the last episode it was finally spring, we know 100% that they are in love. Oreki has finally accepted that he wants a rose colored life, and even though there was just an imaginary confession and he never said it out loud he didnt need to. the entire show was just about gradually getting Oreki out of that gray winter mindset and that final episode let us know that spring was here

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
KyoAni had a kind of rough patch for everything after Hyouka but Amagi and especially Euphonium have been so good so hopefully they are past it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

hmm..

yeah, i'd say you (and a kitten) are right, thinking about it. i was never actually unhappy with the ending, but putting it like that makes my reaction seem kinda kneejerk.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

oreki saying brr its kind of cold and chitanda says this

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

yo he didnt need to. they were in their first year of high school you knew they were 100% in love it didnt need to be heavy handed. the whole show was about the gradual progression of Oreki moving past wanting a boring, energy conserving, and gray high school life to a more rose colored one like Satoshi was always talking about. Oreki spent the whole series in like a never ending gray winter, and he had forgotten about the promise of spring. that is until Chitanda entered his life with a burst of color. in the last episode it was finally spring, we know 100% that they are in love. Oreki has finally accepted that he wants a rose colored life, and even though there was just an imaginary confession and he never said it out loud he didnt need to. the entire show was just about gradually getting Oreki out of that gray winter mindset and that final episode let us know that spring was here

YES!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Nate RFB posted:

KyoAni had a kind of rough patch for everything after Hyouka but Amagi and especially Euphonium have been so good so hopefully they are past it.

Actually they didn't, everything after Hyouka is still very good.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I haven't got around to watching it, but my introduction to Hyouka was someone saying that the main girl had no sense of personal space and posting .gifs as evidence. I thought it was pretty funny

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

another cool thing about the last episode of Hyouka was how every other time when Oreki and Chitanda were walking home; Chitanda was the one walking with the bike and Oreki was walking next to her. in those final scenes their roles are reversed. Oreki has the bike now. then Chitanda goes into this big monologue, where she drops he normal cute tone and is 100% serious, about her insecurities about her future, her family, and her family's business. Chitanda says this line: "Please look, Oreki. This is my place. all that's here is water and soil. the people arent getting any younger either. I don't think that this place is the most beautiful ever, and I also don't think this place is full of potential. But.. I wanted to show it to you Oreki." that line really reminds me of Hitagi's starry sky speech in Bakemonogatari. it is here we see that Chitanda is on a very narrow path. even though in every episode before this we saw Chitanda as the one with the bike, and we thought that she was the one who was free. we always thought that Oreki would be the one chasing after the free-willed, positive, and happy girl. when in reality this isnt true. Chitanda sees Oreki as the one who is free, free to ride that bike as far and as fast as he can.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Nice, Richard. Need to rewatch me some Hyouka.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I think Haruhi was really hoping to bang on that iteration.

would that have fixed it?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Two episodes in, and I've decided: the secret is that Kyon and Koizumi have to kiss.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

would that have fixed it?

probably only if it was good...so probably not, considering that they're all awkward-rear end teenagers

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

i haven't actually watched a whole lot of kyoani shows, which I intend to fix at some point, but they're a cool company that treats their employees well and makes good-looking anime while doing it, so i'm glad they're around.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

another cool thing about the last episode of Hyouka was how every other time when Oreki and Chitanda were walking home; Chitanda was the one walking with the bike and Oreki was walking next to her. in those final scenes their roles are reversed. Oreki has the bike now. then Chitanda goes into this big monologue, where she drops he normal cute tone and is 100% serious, about her insecurities about her future, her family, and her family's business. Chitanda says this line: "Please look, Oreki. This is my place. all that's here is water and soil. the people arent getting any younger either. I don't think that this place is the most beautiful ever, and I also don't think this place is full of potential. But.. I wanted to show it to you Oreki." that line really reminds me of Hitagi's starry sky speech in Bakemonogatari. it is here we see that Chitanda is on a very narrow path. even though in every episode before this we saw Chitanda as the one with the bike, and we thought that she was the one who was free. we always thought that Oreki would be the one chasing after the free-willed, positive, and happy girl. when in reality this isnt true. Chitanda sees Oreki as the one who is free, free to ride that bike as far and as fast as he can.

good posts. thank you

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

GorfZaplen posted:

Two episodes in, and I've decided: the secret is that Kyon and Koizumi have to kiss.

Nagato: "Over the course of 15,529 loops there have been sixteen instances of Kyon and Koizumi making out, five of which involved tongue."

I really wanted an episode where Kyon just let her keep listing stuff that happened instead of cutting her off.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mentat Radnor posted:

I really wanted an episode where Kyon just let her keep listing stuff that happened instead of cutting her off.

Yeah, I'd really like to know what else she was keeping track of.

"In thirty-nine of 15,529 loops, Haruhi managed to completely avoid decking Mikuru with a beach ball."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Been watching bits of the Disappearance dub to compare to the sub I watched for the simulwatch. I'd say Haruhi got a well above-average quality dubbing job, but yeah, the original performances are just too good for the dub to match, especially in the movie. Crispin Freeman's Kyon is the highlight, for sure - I'd say he's only a notch below the original actor, at worst. But Yuki's just way worse in English - she's fine as emotional Alternate Yuki, but she's just a touch too loud and BEEP BOOP I AM A COMPUTER-y for Yuki Prime's most important scenes in the movie. Although the localization lets her down a little bit too, despite being pretty good overall. When she and Kyon are having their moment on top of the roof and Kyon takes Yuki's hands and says "You can tell that [that being all of things Kyon is prepared to do for Yuki] to your boss," Dub Yuki responds with "Transmitting" rather than the sub (or at least, my sub's) "I will tell them." Even aside from the relative inhumanity of going all "BEEP BOOP TENDER MOMENT ACKNOWLEDGED," it kind of fucks with the context of the rest of the scene, because after that line, Yuki looks down, looks back up at Kyon's face, we cut away, and then, "Thank you." I like the sub's translation way better because it reads way more like Yuki's going "Yeah, I'll tell them (later)", then looking down at her hands entwined with Kyon's (though they're not in the shot so we don't know that's what she's looking at) and thinking about that, then looking back at Kyon - whereas the dub, she goes "Transmitting" right there on the spot, and then when she looks down I automatically assume it's because she's focusing on her sciency radio conversation rather than still being there having her moment with Kyon. Kind of kills the mood.

I mean, my complaints are all nitpicky and I'd still say that the dub and localization job are both really high quality, it's just that the nitpicky stuff really matters to a character like Yuki where the whole point of the character is to cram as much character into as many small moments and details, and to make those moments and details as absolutely tiny as you can possibly get away with and still have the character work the way you want them to.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

Yeah, I'd really like to know what else she was keeping track of.

"In thirty-nine of 15,529 loops, Haruhi managed to completely avoid decking Mikuru with a beach ball."

I wonder how many ended in quadruple homicide.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Been watching bits of the Disappearance dub to compare to the sub I watched for the simulwatch. I'd say Haruhi got a well above-average quality dubbing job, but yeah, the original performances are just too good for the dub to match, especially in the movie. Crispin Freeman's Kyon is the highlight, for sure - I'd say he's only a notch below the original actor, at worst. But Yuki's just way worse in English - she's fine as emotional Alternate Yuki, but she's just a touch too loud and BEEP BOOP I AM A COMPUTER-y for Yuki Prime's most important scenes in the movie. Although the localization lets her down a little bit too, despite being pretty good overall. When she and Kyon are having their moment on top of the roof and Kyon takes Yuki's hands and says "You can tell that [that being all of things Kyon is prepared to do for Yuki] to your boss," Dub Yuki responds with "Transmitting" rather than the sub (or at least, my sub's) "I will tell them." Even aside from the relative inhumanity of going all "BEEP BOOP TENDER MOMENT ACKNOWLEDGED," it kind of fucks with the context of the rest of the scene, because after that line, Yuki looks down, looks back up at Kyon's face, we cut away, and then, "Thank you." I like the sub's translation way better because it reads way more like Yuki's going "Yeah, I'll tell them (later)", then looking down at her hands entwined with Kyon's (though they're not in the shot so we don't know that's what she's looking at) and thinking about that, then looking back at Kyon - whereas the dub, she goes "Transmitting" right there on the spot, and then when she looks down I automatically assume it's because she's focusing on her sciency radio conversation rather than still being there having her moment with Kyon. Kind of kills the mood.

I mean, my complaints are all nitpicky and I'd still say that the dub and localization job are both really high quality, it's just that the nitpicky stuff really matters to a character like Yuki where the whole point of the character is to cram as much character into as many small moments and details, and to make those moments and details as absolutely tiny as you can possibly get away with and still have the character work the way you want them to.

Yeah I agree with this. I still prefer hirano and sugita, but the english va's did a good job with haruhi and kyon. I really don't like the way they did both yuki, as you said, and koizumi in the movie. His lines in the hospital scenes were changed, for example

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Radio Spiricom posted:

good posts. thank you

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Linnaeus posted:

Yeah I agree with this. I still prefer hirano and sugita, but the english va's did a good job with haruhi and kyon. I really don't like the way they did both yuki, as you said, and koizumi in the movie. His lines in the hospital scenes were changed, for example

I think with Dub Yuki, at least, the problem is more in the directing and a few bits of bad localization like that groan-inducing "Transmitting" bit I just sperged about than in the actress. She sells shy Alternate Yuki really well, and even her Yuki Prime works fine outside of Yuki's most critical scenes. If she had just delivered her lines ever so slightly more quietly and with just a hair less stiffness, I'd feel way way way better about her performance.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I remember this scene vividly

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I watched Hyouka as it was airing and haven't returned to it, but mayhaps I should...after the gataris, of course.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just started watching Disappearance of Nagato Yuki, since people in here had mixed opinions when it got brought up and I wanted to see for myself - and since I'm totally down for a warm and fluffy Yuki show if it's not terrible and isn't too weird about being the opposite thesis of the movie/book it spawned from.

30 Seconds In First Impression: Holy gently caress it's bizzare going from the movie to this and watching everyone's faces and heads get...uh...meltier.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Just finished Hyouka, was nice to come back to this thread to see good posts about the final episode, I totally agree with DSCPA's posts about it. It brings me back to this scene in the first episode where Oreki imagines Chitanda wrapping him up in crazy hair vines. It's kinda funny how she ends up seeing it the other way around.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I just wanna see Oreki and Chitanda kiss.

Cronodoculous posted:

It brings me back to this scene in the first episode where Oreki imagines Chitanda wrapping him up in crazy hair vines.

The thing that caught me off guard in that scene was how insanely well-animated it was, but I guess you can say that about a bunch of bits in Hyouka.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

The Colonel posted:

I just wanna see Oreki and Chitanda kiss.

The thing that caught me off guard in that scene was how insanely well-animated it was, but I guess you can say that about a bunch of bits in Hyouka.

Yeah I wasn't expecting that sort of thing, I thought maybe the show was heading in a weird direction, especially considering the sort of boring OP and the downright freaky ED. The next few episodes put my worries to rest, though. Whenever they used different animation styles later on, usually for mystery theorizin', it was always top notch and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just finished the first episode of Yuki-chan. ...I might really dig this show. I also might hate it. In the first episode, I dug the quiter bits. I kind of hated the louder bits. We'll see how the show trends from here.

Other thoughts:
Okay, let's get this out of the way - does the show ever actually establish that the Kyon in this show is the same Kyon from Melancholy, and that he made the opposite choice during the events of Disappearance? Because that seems impossible since he doesn't seem to know Haruhi, who Disappearance established he had to meet and bring to the computer in the Literary Club room to activate the program and make the choice. And if the concept of the show is just "hey we thought we'd see what we could do with the possibility we established here" rather than a literal "what if Kyon made the opposite (and in our opinion, right) choice during Disappearance" then I really don't see why some people have some philosophical disagreement with its existance.

The comedy hasn't really landed for me yet. The romance is warm and fuzzy enough, though.

Speaking of comedy - I certainly wasn't expecting Yuki-chan to feel at all like Disappearance, but the difference was still immediately striking. It's upbeat and goofy in all the ways that Disappearance was downbeat and introspective, and though it advertises otherwise its Yuki certainly doesn't feel quite like what we saw of Alternate Yuki in disappearance - she's sillier and talkier and less melancholy, and while she could certainly win me over (and it's not like we actually saw THAT much of Alternate Yuki), she does feel like a different character from the outset.

That said, most of what I just mentioned is probably for the best - Yuki-chan has zero ambitions of going anywhere Melancholy or Disappearance went, so establishing a different tone as hard and as early as possible was kind of necessary to ward off comparisons it had little ability and less ambition of winning, and I can't really begrudge it that. poo poo, I liked shows like Gundam Wing and Coffin Princess Chaika, I'm not going to slam a show just because it doesn't set out to give my Literary Critique muscles a daily workout like Melancholy/Disappearance did.

• Locked thread