Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Radio Spiricom posted:

i've convinced myself that i've seen all i need to by them (haruhi, lucky star, nichijou, k-on, hyouka) and i want someone to convince me otherwise

Like everyone else, I will also say to give Euphonium a watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Oh yeah. I meant to ask about that. I heard some folks talking about it behind spoiler tags back when the simulwatch was still young, and I assumed the show would start dropping some obvious hints, but I never caught any. Can we talk about that? Because I don't know that I get it.

There's no real obvious hints about it, it's more just the unanswered question of why Kyon is in the SOS Brigade outside of being Haruhi's crush. The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina could be interpreted to be about Kyon too since Haruhi subconsciously figured out that Mikuru was a time traveler and Yuki was an alien, and that whole plot-line has parallels with Kyon's relationship with Mikuru and Yuki. Koizumi breaks character in the middle of it too when he starts thinking about it too which was fun. We also don't know Kyon's real name, which is another one of those odd quirks which people like to speculate about. I don't fully think Kyon is God either, but he's no simple everyman character either. The first time Haruhi ever exhibited any power was when she met John Smith 3 years ago, and I still think that's true for the most part. Her mood swings are almost always related to Kyon in some manner, and Yuki's actions were all connected to Kyon as well. Course, Koizumi outright speculates about it in front of Kyon in Intrigues, but Kyon doesn't pick up on it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

GorfZaplen posted:

I like how I can tell who has what score, without being able to read the Japanese.

So is that another well-known number pattern, or did Yuki just want to go 123454321 for her score?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hey Prefuse, assuming those are your gifs, you can disable the play/stop indicator in the corner. It's in Media Player's options under Player, and just uncheck Show OSD.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It also doesn't look that pretty at first glance.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The 2nd OVA looks improved though

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hmm, I'm somewhat intrigued.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

In Training posted:

I wonder if I could even find Munto fansubs anymore.

Yeah, they exist.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well, if you go through with watching it, at least you'll get to see a steady improvement in the animation, since starts in 2003 and ends with the movie in 2009. The art-style is a bit iffy though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It reminds me of mediocre looking anime from the 2000s, which doesn't help its case. But yeah, skimming through the videos cause I was curious. They stuck with that style all the way to 2009 too, so you can see the animation, backgrounds, and effects steadily improving while the character designs still look bad.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Namtab posted:

im gonna read all the books and prove you wrong!

I don't think you're powerful enough to do this.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Anyhow, thinking I might pick up Hyouka. What should I expect from that show, Goons?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Is the plot nonsense in the sense that you can't follow anybody's motivations, or is it just nonsense in that the rules/meanings/sequence of events aren't well defined? If the plot doesn't interfere too badly with strong character work I might still give it a look at some point.

The characters aren't that great either though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Kyoani is doing the Koe no Kotachi movie and it's being directed by Naoko Yamada (K-On, Tamako Market). I think they will probably do a solid adaptation of it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Knorth posted:

Wow, from the description Shoya sounds like a massive jerk but I'm excited for this 'cause of the director. Has anyone read the source? Is it good?

It was goon-loved for a while. I think the one-shot was stronger as a whole than the manga itself since it didn't quite hit the right notes for the ending, but it was good for the most part. The fact that it's gonna be a movie gives me hope that it'll be tightened up a bit, or at least be the one-shot.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Kytrarewn posted:

Maybe I'm not a KyoAni kind of guy, but I like when there's an overarching plot associated with the humor. S1 did a great job with that, while S2 just basically revolved around the characters regressing to their most annoying possible forms and then not getting better from there.

Yeah, the romance also fell flat in S2 when compared to S1, which was a shame, but that wasn't the thing that annoyed me so much.

I was more annoyed by them cutting out all the family characters just to have the main couple live together.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Linnaeus posted:

He's directed 2 masterpieces, 1 good show, and 4 bad ones... hope the new one is good

I liked his Key stuff. At the very least, his Kanon was a lot better than Toei's Kanon. Obviously it had better animation as a quick image search will show you, but it framed its story better too. Never saw Toei's Clannad so I don't know how well that compared to the show though. Anyways, regardless of your opinion on Key, I do think that Ishihara probably elevated Jun Maeda's material, given how other directors and companies have handled Maeda's stuff ever since.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Chuuni was just really bad in S2 though and it's hard to pick out what went wrong there since I never read the LN, other than I know that after making up half the material in S1, they then decided to go back to the LN in S2, but they also had to keep it somewhat consistent with the characterizations they established in S1.

Basically Ishihara is good if he has a solid base to work off of.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

esselfortium posted:

Chuunibyo S2 is great IMO. Rikka's implausible shyness was still there and still implausible, but that was already a problem in S1 and it was easy to look past because of all the other good stuff. Lots of fun side-character-centric episodes, like the napping contest and Fake Mori Summer. I guess the difference in opinion is probably because I always enjoyed Chuunibyo as a comedy first and foremost, and S2 delivered more and better humor.

Incidentally, all the comedy stuff was basically all anime-original, since half the characters don't exist in the LN.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Linnaeus posted:

I've only seen the kyoani version so I can't compare. Didn't like it at all though haha

That's fair, a decent number of people aren't fans of Jun Maeda/Key's stuff. My main point is that Ishihara has a pretty decent track record of adapting stuff. Whether you like the source material or not is another issue entirely. Kanon and Clannad are convenient examples since Toei has their own versions. To use Haruhi as an example, Ishihara had the advantage of having 5 volumes to pull from, and told the story in a unique fashion that the anime became a mega-hit. Not that the LNs were bad, they're pretty conceptually sound and lots of the good stuff in the anime were already there in the original writing. Despite that, there was one early manga attempt of Haruhi that was apparently bad enough that it got canceled after one volume, and it wasn't really until the anime that Haruhi became a big standout hit. I'm only unsure about Chuuni just because I'm not sure whether the source material was just bad enough that it dragged down Ishihara's adaptation of it, or there just wasn't enough of it so what they came up with ended up substandard. Answer's probably a mix of both, but the anime original comedy stuff was pretty funny.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

In Training posted:

It has more fan service than most of their shows (one common group of 4 characters is always shown in bikinis) and it is the only KyoAni show that I know of to feature nudity (in the first or second episode iirc)

They had fanservice in Full Metal Panic too, which happens to be by the same creator. :ssh:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

In Training posted:

The animators at Kyoto Animation have lost their way.

They have merely returned to their Full Metal Panic roots.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

The Colonel posted:

in order for something to be a harem show, there has to be a harem, not a group of girls who view the single guy as a friend and hang out with him as regular friends

Ehh, it can be stretched to that definition for the genre.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Knorth posted:

At that point you are stretching to the point of meaninglessness and may as well not use it to describe a thing though

The thing is, it's more common to just have 2 or 3 girls/guy interested in the main dude/girl, and then every other girl/guy is just their friend in the harem genre. That or they're all living together in a dorm, in which case, it's still 2 or 3 and the rest of the characters ship/heckle the couples. Generally, harem just means there's a large imbalance of one gender over the other though.

Course, this also means certain series technically qualify under the harem label that you normally wouldn't think of as a harem, like say Haruhi. Ah My Goddess, despite being a trendsetter for harem stuff, ended up not being very harem-like at all beyond living with 3 goddesses, and they're constantly visited by a bunch of other goddesses.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
But yeah, it's just typically shorthand for everyone is interested in the main character.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Still amused about Osomatsu getting an otome game.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
What about ouran?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Does Japanese really not have a word for 'Game' instead of using the english as a loanword?

Also, hey, Oreki actually smiles!

They have a bunch of different words for matches. Game is just more conveniently informal and easy to say I assume.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Episode 22:

-...Am I supposed to have any idea what the gently caress a Doll Festival is?

-Oreki seems rather nervous about all this.

-I find myself noticing that we're almost halfway through the finale of a slice-of-life/romance show and our leading lady hasn't showed up yet outside of a phone call.

-Oh, there she is. Sort of.

-Everyone involved in this thing looks really goofy.

-This walk home is ridiculously pretty.

-I like that Oreki wants to study the Humanities and Chitanda wants to study the sciences.

-D-Did Oreki just loving propose to her just like tha-OH YOU SON OF A BITCH HYOUKA, YOU GOT ME YOU DIRTY FUCKERS :argh:

Good loving show. Real good feel-good show, and hot drat if it isn't the prettiest thing around. Need to chew on that ending a bit, might post some more thoughts about it later. For now...I guess we should think of that fake out as what Oreki's inevitably going to tell Chitanda at some point? Or something roughly equivalent to it? At any rate, though I had surmised it was coming from the way people talked about the ending, it is a bit of a bummer not to get any on-screen romantic catharsis.

Looking forward to starting K-on!

Dick Spacious has a really good write-up on that ending sequence. Someone should link it, since I'm not sure where it is.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Wait, I think I found it.

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

yo he didnt need to. they were in their first year of high school you knew they were 100% in love it didnt need to be heavy handed. the whole show was about the gradual progression of Oreki moving past wanting a boring, energy conserving, and gray high school life to a more rose colored one like Satoshi was always talking about. Oreki spent the whole series in like a never ending gray winter, and he had forgotten about the promise of spring. that is until Chitanda entered his life with a burst of color. in the last episode it was finally spring, we know 100% that they are in love. Oreki has finally accepted that he wants a rose colored life, and even though there was just an imaginary confession and he never said it out loud he didnt need to. the entire show was just about gradually getting Oreki out of that gray winter mindset and that final episode let us know that spring was here

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

another cool thing about the last episode of Hyouka was how every other time when Oreki and Chitanda were walking home; Chitanda was the one walking with the bike and Oreki was walking next to her. in those final scenes their roles are reversed. Oreki has the bike now. then Chitanda goes into this big monologue, where she drops he normal cute tone and is 100% serious, about her insecurities about her future, her family, and her family's business. Chitanda says this line: "Please look, Oreki. This is my place. all that's here is water and soil. the people arent getting any younger either. I don't think that this place is the most beautiful ever, and I also don't think this place is full of potential. But.. I wanted to show it to you Oreki." that line really reminds me of Hitagi's starry sky speech in Bakemonogatari. it is here we see that Chitanda is on a very narrow path. even though in every episode before this we saw Chitanda as the one with the bike, and we thought that she was the one who was free. we always thought that Oreki would be the one chasing after the free-willed, positive, and happy girl. when in reality this isnt true. Chitanda sees Oreki as the one who is free, free to ride that bike as far and as fast as he can.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

In Training posted:

Are the books out of chronological order or was that anime original

Partially anime original. Sidestories tended to be compiled into volumes later, so you'd have Endless Eight in a volume after Disappearance.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Endless Eight is still chronologically before Disappearance, right? Because that story makes a lot less sense the other way around.

Yeah, still chronologically before. But the volume the story comes in is after. Volume 1 is Melancholy which was basically season 1. Volume 2 is Sighs which is half of S2. Volume 4 is Disappearance. S1 basically padded out its season from the side stories from Vol. 3 and stories after Vol. 4, and S2 added Endless eight and Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
If you do want to read it, just start from Vol.5 (Rampage), which basically has the first short story that starts off the next arc. Day of Sagittarius and Endless Eight are in that volume too though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Intrigues (volume 7) is the first actual big arc though if you just want to jump into new material right away. It has a nice moment for Haruhi. It'd be the next season of Haruhi if another season were to be made, though I'd be curious to see how they'd pace it out. Like I really think season 1 worked the way it did, and as effectively as it did because the stars did happen to align just right in that they had the main story, but also the right amount of short stories available to make it a better story. The writing might not be the best prose, but it does include all the little details that the series is comprised of. Like I don't have an eye for animation and cinematography like other goons do, but when I first saw Disappearance, it was right after reading Disappearance so I was somewhat surprised that the movie was essentially an exact adaptation, without expanding or altering much from the source material.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Is the Disappearance novel worth revisiting at all, or will just be nonstop 'man I wish I were just rewatching that movie?'

Heh, answered your question before I even knew you were asking it. Nope, book is exactly the same as the movie, except without the nice presentation. Volume 5 has the one short story which starts hinting at other players. Volume 6 has 2 more short stories that give some nice character development for Yuki and Mikuru. And vol. 7 onward is all new.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 29, 2016

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hm. Inveterate Yuki-liker that I am, I might start with 6.

Thanks for the tips.

Everything comes back to Yuki at some point. The writer tends to favor her. Do read Snowy Mountain Syndrome (the Vol. 5 story) at some point though since it's pretty neat and it basically sets up the later arcs. The only reason it hasn't been adapted into the anime is because it explicitly takes place after Disappearance so it takes into account the change in dynamic between Kyon and Yuki.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Aurora posted:

We're never getting more Haruhi, are we?

Go badger the author to do a short story collection or two and then maybe Kyoto can actually have material to fill out a season.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Teaser PV for A Silent Voice (Koe no Katachi) movie is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbElewFH464

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
No idea, presumably something longer than the one-shot though. Hopefully, a more well-rounded version of the manga since the series did have its own set of issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

:rip: Rune Factory AV. I'll miss it

• Locked thread