Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
"I've loved you for a million life times!" Oh god Sam is my favorite.

Oh my god the tshirt canon RIGHT TO THE FACE

"If you need covering this up...I'm great at hiding things." Oh jesus this is killing me I love it.

Swedish sushi! "You know what, I'll pass."

OH NO THEY DIDN'T INVITE MISS PIGGY OUT DRINKING

"Me me me me me me me!" Holy poo poo

"Oh Kermit, that doesn't sound like me at all." I love this.

Oh man Fozzie is having an existential crisis in front of the audience.

"....shoot, line!"

This episode is so great you guys oh my god

"Fun fun fun!!"

"They deserve moi." And Kermit's monologue after holy poo poo this episode is slaying

FOZZIE NO

"If I'd shot you you'd be lying facedown in front of my fireplace!"

"You're the only one who came to visit me." Aw oh geez.

"...yeah, I got problems." :smith:

Holy poo poo Piggy has killed the atmosphere, this is so brilliant.

"OH MY GOD ED HELMS!"

(Does he play anything else that isn't Andy.)

OFFICE JOKES

"I'm like also with the band." Sam glaring in the background holy poo poo

"*Sucker!*"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Ed Helms saved the day. This is wonderful.

Sam being enamored with Janice is the best part.

Swedish Chef getting down and rapping is also the best.

NO SAM PUT DOWN THE MICROPHONE

Awww oh my god no don't laugh at him Janice

"Oh who cares what that little green buzzkill wants!" Piggy oh my god

Noooo Kermit's all alone with his donuts oh no :(

HUNGOVER YOLANDA

"I couldn't breathe but it was fantastic." Holy poo poo

Oh Sam, you creepy little sad creature

Oh dear Kermit is so mad

Oh my god Bunsen and Beaker are doing the sex???????

PIGGY NO NOT USHER

"You're too special." Kermit what are you doing.

"Piggy really is the best, isn't she?" Kermit you are still crazy in love with this pig.

Oh my god that little laugh at the end, that was sublime puppetry, the craft on this show is so great you guys.

"I'm a sucker for trying to be nice to you!" Aw, Fozzie.

This was a great episode, holy crap. More of this sort of thing.

E: haha whoops I didn't expect to start a new page, sorry!

HIJK fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Major Ricardo posted:

The Swedish Chef has a wedding ring. Gay marriage or straight marriage, who knows.
Almost didn't recognise him without his chef's hat. Awesome rapper though.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

UH EXCUSE ME I don't know whether or not you folks have considered whether or not you should keep believing but I say ...

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Near the beginning, during Fozzie's "How do I deal with hecklers?" interview bit, you can see the Swedish Chef in the background picking up a donut, licking it, and putting it back. I need to rewatch the episodes and look out for more background stuff.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Dave Syndrome posted:

Near the beginning, during Fozzie's "How do I deal with hecklers?" interview bit, you can see the Swedish Chef in the background picking up a donut, licking it, and putting it back. I need to rewatch the episodes and look out for more background stuff.

Not to do with The Muppets, Dave, but I saw Bill Bailey on tour last night and he told a story of his travels through one of the old Eastern block countries, where he was stopped and pulled over by passport control. He said the official looked straight at him, put his hands up to own his chest and said, "Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard!" Then started cackling. Bill knew what was going on, but he said it did freak out the others in the queue.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 14, 2015

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The episodes feel like they need 2 or 3 more minutes each. They always end just shy of where it feels satisfying. There's a conclusion to the plot but never any follow up. "Miss piggy doesn't want to go out anymore" end episode.

It seems like there should just be m... More? And I know the modus operandi of show business is to leave them wanting more but I'm finding the episodes unfulfilling more than anything else. There's conflict and then... It resolves. Cut to black.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

My favorite thing about Swedish Chef is that he has human hands. Is that weird?

X-O posted:

Yup, this show is great. Countdown to cancellation starts now.

It's a Disney property though, so it has the same +2 vs. cancellation armor that Agents of Shield has.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Sockser posted:

The episodes feel like they need 2 or 3 more minutes each. They always end just shy of where it feels satisfying. There's a conclusion to the plot but never any follow up. "Miss piggy doesn't want to go out anymore" end episode.

It seems like there should just be m... More? And I know the modus operandi of show business is to leave them wanting more but I'm finding the episodes unfulfilling more than anything else. There's conflict and then... It resolves. Cut to black.

Same. I like the show, but it should be longer.

I also love that Miss Piggy just, like, chills with Usher.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I honestly wonder whether Usher is going to make an appearance on the show or even knew his name was mentioned in the show. They usually post about stuff like that in their twitter or instagram, but I don't follow him.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

raditts posted:

I think it's hilarious. Is it because it was easier to chop the poo poo out of stuff with real hands back in olden days of the muppets?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

The Human Crouton posted:

I think it's hilarious. Is it because it was easier to chop the poo poo out of stuff with real hands back in olden days of the muppets?

Yeah, Swedish Chef gags required the fine manual dexterity of real hands. This also lead to games of one-upsmanship where Jim Henson would intentionally do weird, random crap with his hands to see how the other puppeteer would react.

Frankly, the insane spontaneity is what I miss about the old Muppet Show the most, and it's completely lacking in this new show

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

If you had told me my favorite characters on the new Muppets show would be the band, Swedish Chef, and Bunsen and Beaker, I would have been like "you are INSANE" but welp.

HIJK posted:

"I've loved you for a million life times!" Oh god Sam is my favorite.

Oh my god the tshirt canon RIGHT TO THE FACE

"If you need covering this up...I'm great at hiding things." Oh jesus this is killing me I love it.

Swedish sushi! "You know what, I'll pass."

OH NO THEY DIDN'T INVITE MISS PIGGY OUT DRINKING

"Me me me me me me me!" Holy poo poo

"Oh Kermit, that doesn't sound like me at all." I love this.

Oh man Fozzie is having an existential crisis in front of the audience.

"....shoot, line!"

This episode is so great you guys oh my god

"Fun fun fun!!"

"They deserve moi." And Kermit's monologue after holy poo poo this episode is slaying

FOZZIE NO

"If I'd shot you you'd be lying facedown in front of my fireplace!"

"You're the only one who came to visit me." Aw oh geez.

"...yeah, I got problems." :smith:

Holy poo poo Piggy has killed the atmosphere, this is so brilliant.

"OH MY GOD ED HELMS!"

(Does he play anything else that isn't Andy.)

OFFICE JOKES

"I'm like also with the band." Sam glaring in the background holy poo poo

"*Sucker!*"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Ed Helms saved the day. This is wonderful.

Sam being enamored with Janice is the best part.

Swedish Chef getting down and rapping is also the best.

NO SAM PUT DOWN THE MICROPHONE

Awww oh my god no don't laugh at him Janice

"Oh who cares what that little green buzzkill wants!" Piggy oh my god

Noooo Kermit's all alone with his donuts oh no :(

HUNGOVER YOLANDA

"I couldn't breathe but it was fantastic." Holy poo poo

Oh Sam, you creepy little sad creature

Oh dear Kermit is so mad

Oh my god Bunsen and Beaker are doing the sex???????

PIGGY NO NOT USHER

"You're too special." Kermit what are you doing.

"Piggy really is the best, isn't she?" Kermit you are still crazy in love with this pig.

Oh my god that little laugh at the end, that was sublime puppetry, the craft on this show is so great you guys.

"I'm a sucker for trying to be nice to you!" Aw, Fozzie.

This was a great episode, holy crap. More of this sort of thing.

E: haha whoops I didn't expect to start a new page, sorry!

:agreed:

It's seriously the best thing when Bunsen said "It's outside of work, we don't have to tell them!"

This show probably has like, what, 5 episodes until it's cancelled?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
This was probably the best episode so far, mainly because of how fun the whole bar scene was.

Gavok posted:

No, I agree. Fozzie constantly getting his own plot that separates him from everyone else on the show is one of the series' drawbacks and it's weird that they keep going back to it every week.

This didn't even dawn on me, but you guys are right. It is a little weird, considering the huge cast of characters to play with.

Sockser posted:

I agree with this as well. It would feel a little less strange if this was heavily serialized, but it isn't, each episode has been almost entirely self contained, making the abrupt endings that much more jarring.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 15, 2015

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I like this show, and think the complaints about the more adult humor are dumb.

That being said, the only thing missing from the formula for me is that endearing quality that the muppets had. One of my earliest memories of the Muppets was Scooter playing his six string orchestra on The Muppet Show. Amid all the slapstick and gags, that bit had this real quality to it, and forever imprinted on me a love for the Muppets.

Most incarnations of the Muppets over the years have had that moment, in the movies (the Goodbye song in Muppets Take Manhattan, or Kermit in the Muppet museum in the first "modern" film a few years ago, for example).

But this show just hasn't had that moment for me, yet.

I will continue to watch this show because it can be very funny at times, but it's still not the Muppets proper, IMHO.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Fozzie and Piggy are both performed by Eric Jacobson so I'm guessing it's just easier for him to split up the performing of the characters, which I guess is currently why Fozzie is getting the short end of the stick story-wise. Like, obviously he could just dub over one of the characters if they shared a scene, but the actual physical performance of the character would probably be off. It is weirdly noticeable, because other Muppeteers are pulling double/triple/quadruple duty (at least voice-wise) in those groups scenes, but it's with less important characters. Jacobson is the only performer who does two of the main characters.

(Hi I've been obsessed with the Muppets for most of my life.)

Whitmire is Kermit/Beaker/Rizzo
Goelz is Gonzo/Bunsen
Jacobson is Fozzie/Piggie/Sam/Animal (pretty much all the Frank Oz characters)
Barreta is Pepe/Bobo/Big Mean Carl (my personal favorite so far on the show)

And that's only a fraction of the characters they're doing.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Fozzie and Piggy are both performed by Eric Jacobson so I'm guessing it's just easier for him to split up the performing of the characters, which I guess is currently why Fozzie is getting the short end of the stick story-wise. Like, obviously he could just dub over one of the characters if they shared a scene, but the actual physical performance of the character would probably be off. It is weirdly noticeable, because other Muppeteers are pulling double/triple/quadruple duty (at least voice-wise) in those groups scenes, but it's with less important characters. Jacobson is the only performer who does two of the main characters.

(Hi I've been obsessed with the Muppets for most of my life.)

Whitmire is Kermit/Beaker/Rizzo
Goelz is Gonzo/Bunsen
Jacobson is Fozzie/Piggie/Sam/Animal (pretty much all the Frank Oz characters)
Barreta is Pepe/Bobo/Big Mean Carl (my personal favorite so far on the show)

And that's only a fraction of the characters they're doing.

Jesus. I hope they have extra help, that work load is nuts.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
I finally caught up with this week's episode - it was probably the funniest yet. Swedish Chef stole the show with his version of "Rapper's Delight", and hungover Pepe the next day was phenomenal. We need gifs of that scene, because everything about that hungover morning after was wonderful.

Kermit is such a manipulative prick though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I finally caught up with this week's episode - it was probably the funniest yet. Swedish Chef stole the show with his version of "Rapper's Delight", and hungover Pepe the next day was phenomenal. We need gifs of that scene, because everything about that hungover morning after was wonderful.

Kermit is such a manipulative prick though.

He learned from the best!

Have they brought back Kermit's other pig girlfriend since the first episode, or have they basically written her out of the show?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope to God this show lasts long enough for them to have James Spader on at some point.

That new Red Letter Media mashup of Robert California with Ultron scenes is magnificent.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
"Kermit, I wanted to tell you I have an astral projection seminar next weekend"
"Janice, we can't let you miss work"
"Oh I'll be here, I just wanted to let you know I'll be there too"

(I probably messed up Kermit's line)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah he said "So you're not gonna be here?" iirc

That was a great line, Janice is great

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
You could swap out Miss Piggy with Jenna Maroney and I don't think anyone would notice a difference.

How are the ratings?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

precision posted:

I hope to God this show lasts long enough for them to have James Spader on at some point.

That new Red Letter Media mashup of Robert California with Ultron scenes is magnificent.

James Spader Creeping around the Muppets would be Amazing.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Nastier Nate posted:

You could swap out Miss Piggy with Jenna Maroney and I don't think anyone would notice a difference.

How are the ratings?
The premiere did well but since then the show has been hemorrhaging viewers. It's gone from a 2.9 to a 1.3 in the 18-49 demo.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
No love for the oscillating fan line from Statler???? It cracked me up.....

"I love it when I'm sat there then all of a sudden.....,,WIND"

*may not be entirely accurate but you get the gist

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

J-Spot posted:

The premiere did well but since then the show has been hemorrhaging viewers. It's gone from a 2.9 to a 1.3 in the 18-49 demo.

It's a shame. I feel like the show has gotten much better since the pilot, but it'll probably be canned after this (or next, if they're lucky) season

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

HIJK posted:

Jesus. I hope they have extra help, that work load is nuts.

Watching more episodes, it's the same reason Kermit and Rizzo haven't really interacted yet. And in fact, Rizzo wasn't doing a whole lot until the 3rd episode (since Whitmire has been focused on Kermit), it's why they introduced the female rat, Yolanda. Which is cool by me, because the Muppets always need more female characters.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Jonny_Rocket posted:

It's a shame. I feel like the show has gotten much better since the pilot, but it'll probably be canned after this (or next, if they're lucky) season

Yeah, I was just a bit too young to grow up with the Muppet Show, but I remember watching the movies as a kid, and I'm liking the show. I can see how helicopter moms might hate it though.

Kermit's line about licking a cousin and seeing the walls melt has to be my favorite line so far. A drug joke inside an incest joke. :catdrugs:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB-In-9pQLs

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Not necessarily. The premiere was the second highest-rated show across all networks behind Blindspot. If it kept those initial ratings, that would have not only made it a hit by ABC standards, but a genuine television phenomenon. It will largely depend on where the ratings start leveling out. It's still doing pretty well for the network excluding all shows called "Modern Family."

TV by the Numbers still has it likely to be renewed.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Was there no new episode?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I saw It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown in the 8:00 slot.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Waltzing Along posted:

Was there no new episode?

For some reason it has a week off.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I've been watching a bit of this and holy poo poo it's hilarious

This show better get more than one season or I'm gonna be pissed

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
It's been a while since I had a "how the hell did they do that" Muppet moment. Piggy's apology song when she's being carried by the dancers definitely was one though.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Fozzie is getting a lot more attention tonight, though Rizzo might be stealing the show.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I'm watching this on my DVR and this opening is great. "Decoy grudge" I love it

e: "Even God rested on Sunday." The dialogue's getting snappier every episode, I love it.

Oh my god, "True Colors." Take it like a man Fozzie

Piggy just brings out the worst in people, it's amazing.

"It's the only video North Korea is allowing its people to see!"

Oh my god, the way Kermit immediately tries to comfort her, this is simultaneously lovely and heartbreaking.

"I'm ready to bleep if they're not." Sam was always my favorite.

This is the best apology musical holy poo poo

HIJK fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Amazing episode. I'm going to miss this show.

The TV IV › The Muppets - "Even God rested on Sunday"

You're drat right that's the title.

• Locked thread