Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Throw your details in here if you want to group with goons.

We are on CTS, in the Buttes misc channel!

We also have a PS4 Community. Check with PSN: Rayst191 for details

Rainbow Six! I loved that game! Fighting terrorists as elite agents from all over the world an-

Hold your horses, Johnny-O. This is a new brand of Rainbow Six, the close quarters wall-breaching simulator featuring government police forces blasting down walls to shoot other government police forces in the faces, for some reason.

So what are the features of this new Rainbow Six?
- High amount of destructible scenery so you can get wallhacked
- Unlockable characters with special abilities
- Blow a hole in a wall or door or floor with a breaching charge to herald your charge into an enemy room!
- Roll around as a camera as the enemy chases after you for two minutes in exciting Tag action
- Rappel up a building, fall off the edge
- Take out an entire team because you have a riot shield and they don't, the dumbasses

The gameplay is simple: the teams are divided up into attackers and defenders. Each side has four to five players, and a separate but equal set of "operatives" to choose from. Once teams are set, the defenders set to boarding up ways into the objective and setting traps; while the attackers try to find the objective in one of a few different possible locations with robotic cameras that can slip under the doors because terrorists need ventilation. Once three minutes pass the attackers spawn in and have a chance to blast, breach, rappel, and bash their way through the traps and walls/ceiling/floor. The defenders, on the other hand, will sit and patiently wait, camping the objective so hard that they practically set up tents. It all results in a 15 second massive firefight that either ends the round or leaves the one or two survivors running around trying to find each other Counterstrike-style.

The game will be available on PC, PS4, and Xbox One and preordering will guarantee you access to the beta on the 24th. Real release date is 12/1/2015

Set fortifications!

Rappel down walls and bust in windows!

Camp for five minutes straight as the defenders!

Is this a good game? It will depend on the variety of maps and operatives when the game launches, as well as how the single player holds up. As it stands right now it's fun but gets old fairly quickly. However, with the beta coming into play Ubisoft has started to try and grassroots hype as much as they can, so let's see how poo poo it turns out to be.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Tried the Pre-Beta-Technical-Alpha... thing, today

Some minor improvements over the Alpha, hit detection seems a bit better, match making was a mess as usual until they did 'something' and everything worked afterwards

Still lots of rage inducing bullshit deaths, and the invulnerability of the riot shield is laughable.

But now we have a mini grenade launcher that punches itself through walls, so there's that

Orv
May 4, 2011
I enjoyed myself way more today than I did with the alpha, but I think the primary cause of "The gently caress was that?!" deaths is getting shunted into bad servers. It seems like any ping over 110 or so turns the game into a whirling tornado of bullshit where killcams show a guy killing you by loving up a wall real bad and stuff like that. If they can supply a solution for having zero say in the matchmaking process, and T-Hunt turns out decent I may do a full 180 on this game.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I can't bitch about the gameplay yet because I didn't get my beta / alpha / test code. I got the e-mail saying "hey, you're gonna get another e-mail with your code soon!" and then nothing. So I will bitch about that instead.

R6S is dumb and doesn't send codes in a timely manner arglebargyleblah :argh:

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
This isn't a good game. It's not a bad game, but releasing a mediocre game into a market that already has Counterstrike, TF2, Battlefield 4, and COD is basically a death sentence. This game's multiplayer community will be non-existent within 2-3 months of it coming out (especially with Battlefront on the horizon), and since it bills itself as a competitive online shooter...

It has some neat ideas with the planning phase, but ultimately the gameplay just don't feel satisfying or up to par with the above series. What I mean by that is there is no hook in this game-- The mix of the muddling pace, average graphics and sound quality, and middle of the road gunplay make a completely forgettable experience. It's not sleek and slick like COD, it's not intense like Counterstrike, and it doesn't have the visual/sound design of the Battlefield. It just feels like generic shooter 23245. New games are supposed to be exciting and give that can't put the controller down feeling. I turned this off with a shrug after about 2-3 hours, and have no desire to turn it back on.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I suspect that part of the burnout is due to the lack of maps, but also that it is way too easy to find the terrorists with the robot cameras because if you find one in an area then you can pretty much assume that the rest are nearby. I would like to see the super fast cameras either get slowed down, or replaced by static cameras/ the camera balls you throw in windows so that you have so infer from their movements where they are headed.

E. Also to speak in broad, non NDA-breaking terms, it's unfortunate that they took out of some the before round fuckery by doing it for you. Now you only stay by the objective

Static Rook posted:

I can't bitch about the gameplay yet because I didn't get my beta / alpha / test code. I got the e-mail saying "hey, you're gonna get another e-mail with your code soon!" and then nothing. So I will bitch about that instead.

R6S is dumb and doesn't send codes in a timely manner arglebargyleblah :argh:

The email I got had a confirmation link I had to follow before it would give me my stuff for real, make sure you do that.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 22, 2015

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's basically a new engine CS with 5 man teams and destructible environments and tools. It's not really a "Rainbow Six" title in the truest sense. It's fun, I've been playing it a bit, but it's certainly not in line with the 'franchise.'

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 22, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Diet Crack posted:

It's basically a new engine CS with 5 man teams and destructible environments and tools. It's not really a "Rainbow Six" title in the truest sense. It's fun, I've been playing it a bit, but it's certainly not in line with the 'franchise.'

I didn't use the SWAT analogy lightly, it kinda does feel like a more lethal version of that to me at times. But even then, it is more of a game of just "cool moments" than original R6 was. Busting through a wall and having your teammates clear a room is an awesome feeling, but there is just so drat much waiting for it to happen with the overlong setup period and such

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Anyone playing?

I hear it helps if you squad up before hand, makes the match making easier.

Sgt.Sappo if interested

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I didn't use the SWAT analogy lightly, it kinda does feel like a more lethal version of that to me at times. But even then, it is more of a game of just "cool moments" than original R6 was. Busting through a wall and having your teammates clear a room is an awesome feeling, but there is just so drat much waiting for it to happen with the overlong setup period and such

I guess it is a lot like SWAT, but I enjoyed and played the living gently caress out of SWAT4 and don't get the same :feels: as that gave me, just based on the pacing and ability to less lethal/arrest. It was more "challenging" in SWAT I guess.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Diet Crack posted:

I guess it is a lot like SWAT, but I enjoyed and played the living gently caress out of SWAT4 and don't get the same :feels: as that gave me, just based on the pacing and ability to less lethal/arrest. It was more "challenging" in SWAT I guess.

The thing about SWAT is that there were stipulations on what you could and could not do. You have to give the enemy the chance to surrender and be arrested, then maybe a non lethal tap, then finally you can take them out. Here there are no such qualms, just throw a frag grenade through a hole in the wall willy nilly and you are golden.

I'll be interested to see what would happen with a hostage rescue mission or something else where there is valuable cargo you can't just carpet bomb. Not that the defenders need any more help, but still it would be interesting

Sappo569 posted:

Anyone playing?

I hear it helps if you squad up before hand, makes the match making easier.

Sgt.Sappo if interested

I'll see about getting a Google doc up for parties after work

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Diet Crack posted:

This exactly. The game is just lacking a certain level of soul or gestalt. The product as a whole is very much less than it's parts, and some of it's parts are pretty drat mediocre to begin with.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I didn't use the SWAT analogy lightly, it kinda does feel like a more lethal version of that to me at times.

Having played a shitload of SWAT 3 in my lifetime I cannot imagine any game being more lethal unless it literally killed you, the player, IRL.

Been keeping an eye on R6S. Could be interesting if I can rope my buddies into it, especially for T. Hunt stuff, but I'm waiting to see how it pans out before I make any plans.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Shima Honnou posted:

Having played a shitload of SWAT 3 in my lifetime I cannot imagine any game being more lethal unless it literally killed you, the player, IRL.

Been keeping an eye on R6S. Could be interesting if I can rope my buddies into it, especially for T. Hunt stuff, but I'm waiting to see how it pans out before I make any plans.

I mean lethal in the sense that you are killing everything that moves rather than trying to arrest them and slowing down the pacing. They gave a tool that screws into a wall and lobs grenades blindly onto the other side, if that doesn't scream "to hell with collateral damage" I don't know what does

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I mean lethal in the sense that you are killing everything that moves rather than trying to arrest them and slowing down the pacing. They gave a tool that screws into a wall and lobs grenades blindly onto the other side, if that doesn't scream "to hell with collateral damage" I don't know what does

Hopefully they have a hostage rescue mode soon, although I think everyone would just go in blind firing anyways

They've set the tone already as fast paced, walls exploding left and right with rapid fire engagements,

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Is the Spetnaz attacker guy as good as he looks ?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Krogort posted:

Is the Spetnaz attacker guy as good as he looks ?

Riot shield is OP as gently caress, so yes

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Sappo569 posted:

Hopefully they have a hostage rescue mode soon, although I think everyone would just go in blind firing anyways

I thought it was mostly hostage rescue and bombs, SOCOM style.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I thought it was mostly hostage rescue and bombs, SOCOM style.

Right now it's just bomb hunt

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Except you don't really need to find the bombs, just kill dudes.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

Except you don't really need to find the bombs, just kill dudes.

Which is a tactic I use when defending to great success.

Let them find the bomb in the basement, and wait for them on the 3rd floor, once they breach simply move in behind them just clean the hallways

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sappo569 posted:

Riot shield is OP as gently caress, so yes

Good lord yes. You lose your invulnerability when reloading and ADS but other than that you can just slowly hip fire your pistol and get head shots right and left, it's ridiculous.

I would like to see some flinch put in when you are hit

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Is there any shield class that let you strap a laser on your pistol for improved hip fire accuracy ?

The spetnaz has 2 pistol but none can fit a laser.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shima Honnou posted:

That loving hospital map with the North Koreans

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Krogort posted:

Is there any shield class that let you strap a laser on your pistol for improved hip fire accuracy ?

The spetnaz has 2 pistol but none can fit a laser.

I could swear I have seen people with them in killcams but I have no idea how to get one

Orv
May 4, 2011
Blitz's P12 and Fuze's Makarov can both have lasers.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I personally will probably get the beta on PS4 for the real one rather than the stress test because I hate money and myself, but right now I'm on PC

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 23, 2015

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Good lord yes. You lose your invulnerability when reloading and ADS but other than that you can just slowly hip fire your pistol and get head shots right and left, it's ridiculous.

I would like to see some flinch put in when you are hit

The only counter's I've seen are... baiting the shield so someone can shoot it from behind/above/below, or using nades, gas, etc

I have walked into the garage of that one map, and killed 4/5 of the enemy players, just walking from 1 to the next. It's really ridiculous how overpowered the shield is in tight confines

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I personally will probably get the beta on PS4 for the real one rather than the stress test because I hate money and myself, but right now I'm on PC

Can't edit the document to add my details?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sappo569 posted:

Can't edit the document to add my details?

Spreadsheet reverted to default, go ahead and try again

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Spreadsheet reverted to default, go ahead and try again

Works now :hf:

Am I the only one that giggles each time I press the activation button on Fuze's ':911: penetration nade launcher?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Played a few matches today (matchmaker was giving me some real poo poo) and had a lot more fun than I thought I would. Perhaps I'm just being optimistic but I can see this having some lasting appeal if they put in enough maps and modes. Would be nice if my idiot teammates wouldn't pick the same location every time though.

Ubisoft is expecting this to outsell Far Cry 4 according to some early press releases; they might want to call a plumber about that pipe dream.

E. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihY8-fiyO5o

One thing I would like to see for Quiet is for his gas grenades to not penetrate solid walls, only those with holes in them. I like his gas but using it is a pain because above idiot teammates like to charge right into the cloud, so having it contained would make things easier.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 23, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011
They said just the other day that it'll have 11 maps, T-Hunt will have multiple modes and there'll probably be one last Vs mode. I'm having way more fun than I thought I would but fuuuuuuuuck shields.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Orv posted:

They said just the other day that it'll have 11 maps, T-Hunt will have multiple modes and there'll probably be one last Vs mode. I'm having way more fun than I thought I would but fuuuuuuuuck shields.

They need to create a wookie class, that can spawn in fixed locations around the exterior of the map, to provide high powered over watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUvvRurJpgc

Or give us higher caliber rifles for punching through shields

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I shot a shield dude 8 times in the back, and because they are up armored alongside lovely hitboxes and netcodes they never die. Made me ragequit. I've noticed in kill cams that a lot of the time a dude shoots nowhere near me and still manages to hit, or I get shot through an impenetrable wall. Also playing 2v4 and having the newest join stack the other team to 5 is hilariously bad. The matchmaking system is so poo poo in it's current state. It also seems I'm stuck playing the bomb mode only now and not the single device mode, which is kind of annoying as I prefer the latter. Not being able to vote on mode/map is a pretty terrible oversight.

I realize it's a tech test/beta, but there's a lot of things that are going to stop me from purchasing the real deal unless they address them, and I'm 99% certain a lot of this was brought to their attention during Alpha.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 23, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011
A lot of this stuff was way, way worse in the alpha test, they've made fairly significant progress since then. Can they make the rest of the progress they need to in a month and a half? :shrug:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The kill cam / lag fuckery is probably a large part of the complaints, at least for me

Getting shot and then seeing the dude come around the corner 1 second later, where you had a perfect shot and were just waiting

Or watching someone unload into you on the kill cam, but it not showing the 4-5 rounds you fired into his head first

Orv
May 4, 2011
What I assume are the geographic search boundaries expand way too quickly, that or their servers are just on fire all the time, which is only going to be made worse once all the new people get in. No idea what they'd do about that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Probably do the same thing that they always do, spend a couple of days putting out fires before finally cracking down and making new servers.

For what it is worth I have had a hell of a time getting matches but the ones I have gotten were almost lag free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007
I'm amazed people are having so much trouble with shields. Any time I play blitz it feels like I go down in seconds to a face shot through the visor from a rifle.

• Locked thread