Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Playing now.. people are getting really good at countering shields.

At least against me, 3 times now I've had people break into a sprint and just melee me or get to my exposed back before I can turn :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mirrors posted:

I'm amazed people are having so much trouble with shields. Any time I play blitz it feels like I go down in seconds to a face shot through the visor from a rifle.

Is that even possible? I don't think I have ever been hit through the visor, and people have certainly tried.

It is kind of funny how invincible you can feel with a shield against some players. Dude, every one of your teammates is in the basement except you. By all means run into an enclosed room when you see me, help isn't coming. It's the Siege version of a L4D tank

Orv
May 4, 2011
People are starting to do a lot of old RSV rappel poo poo, which is very cool and something I missed a lot from that game. As for punching through the glass on shields, lots of times when I die to a shield guy the glass is littered with cracks and holes but the guy has full health. I assume it's just a consequence of the network issues.

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Is that even possible? I don't think I have ever been hit through the visor, and people have certainly tried.

It is kind of funny how invincible you can feel with a shield against some players. Dude, every one of your teammates is in the basement except you. By all means run into an enclosed room when you see me, help isn't coming. It's the Siege version of a L4D tank

I'm starting to think it has something to do with weapon penetration or something. Assault rifles seem to cut me down where I can wade through smg and shot gun fire like nothing

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mirrors posted:

I'm starting to think it has something to do with weapon penetration or something. Assault rifles seem to cut me down where I can wade through smg and shot gun fire like nothing

There's only one AR on defenders though, making that a problem.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Shields feel really inconsistent to fight against. If there's guns that do better against shields they should probably note that somewhere because right now it feels like a crapshoot.

That said, this is way better than it was in alpha, and I'm loving it so far overall. I like that sometimes you have long prolonged firefight rounds, and sometimes a 5 second cacophony of explosions and gunfire as tandem breaches go down and a group is coordinated.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Orv posted:

There's only one AR on defenders though, making that a problem.

It is kind of odd how the recruits can take anything from their country but the named operatives are limited in their gun options. Seems like you would give everyone a choice of SMG/Shotgun/AR

Would be interesting to see a high-powered armor piercing weapon like a Barett but that is probably not in the theme. Someone could have it as a skill, but I would hate to have it as a "must have this guy on every team" thing

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Double posting because I have the yellow box I make the rules...

According to Gamestop, the beta that is beginning tomorrow will include a Terrorist Hunt objective

On the other hand, they have apparently been mum about how long the beta will last because it is actually only four days long, from the 24th through the 28th. I was hoping for something significantly longer if they are selling preorders off of it, but that's life I suppose.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Double posting because I have the yellow box I make the rules...

According to Gamestop, the beta that is beginning tomorrow will include a Terrorist Hunt objective

On the other hand, they have apparently been mum about how long the beta will last because it is actually only four days long, from the 24th through the 28th. I was hoping for something significantly longer if they are selling preorders off of it, but that's life I suppose.

Oddly, Ubi's page says Thunt opens on the 25th instead :shrug:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Oddly, Ubi's page says Thunt opens on the 25th instead :shrug:

Thunt is opening on the 25th but the modes that have been in the game already will be available for others on the 24th.

Of course this is the weekend I will be out of town so I guess I'll try thunt on monday

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Your neighborhood lover of PUZZLES and PURE NONSENSE!
I've been playing the technical demo for the past couple of days and I've had mixed feelings about it.

On the one hand, it's probably the most Rainbow Six-y a Rainbow Six game has been since the console version of Rainbow Six 3. (Though after Lockdown and Vegas, that isn't a huge jump) I still play Raven Shield quite frequently and feel that this is probably the closest I've felt to reliving the MP memories I had from so long ago. Even though it might not have a few things like gimping or doors, I still feel that it is safe to refer to it as a "tactical shooter".

That being said, there are a few things that are bothering me.

The weapon selection seems... odd. I don't like the disparity between the weapons available to Attackers and Defenders. The defenders lack any really hard hitting guns (except for shotguns) which is problematic since I think a lot more of the attackers have heavier armor compared to the defenders. I'm pretty much exclusively using Twitch on the Attackers simply because I like semi-auto battle rifle type guns. Only like two people on the Defenders have Assault Rifles and they are the more spray kind of rifles, not the more accurate kind I like. Hopefully one of the Spetsnaz defenders has access to the SVU so that I don't always want to pick the GSG9 recruit cause I don't like the GSG9 defenders and want that really powerful shotgun.

Shields are annoying. But, again, maybe tactics can be found to deal with them, but it sure is frustrating when a shield guy sits in a hallway and there is nothing you can do about it.

I think I'm also getting a little bit of lag. I've found several times that when I die, I get killed by someone I technically should see, but they never showed up for me.

Overall, I'm finding it sometimes frustrating to play, but if the kinks can be ironed out. It should be pretty fun.

Also, I have to give kudos to any game that has an unlock system that lets me unlock stuff in any order I want. I'm getting pretty sick of arbitrary skinner box style unlocking schemes that most MP games seems to be required to have by law.

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007
Horrifying news recruits can take shields. Five shield team confirmed.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Welp! :suicide:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Advanced Next Level Rainbow Tactics

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
We should get a cts mumble channel set up, had fun playing this last night but lack of people using voice really sucked.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Keket posted:

We should get a cts mumble channel set up, had fun playing this last night but lack of people using voice really sucked.

You know how to get at me dawg, I've got two or three every night.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Mirrors posted:

Horrifying news recruits can take shields. Five shield team confirmed.

But they can't put a laser on their pistols so they are not that good compared to unit operators.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Keket posted:

We can see about doing that when release comes or when a long beta pops but configuring a new channel for a three day beta, eh. Can just use one of the spare empty rooms

Orv
May 4, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

We can see about doing that when release comes or when a long beta pops but configuring a new channel for a three day beta, eh. Can just use one of the spare empty rooms

We've been using Buttes down in the custom channels, stop on by.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Orv posted:

We've been using Buttes down in the custom channels, stop on by.

I got my preorder on PS4 out of a misguided hope that the community will stick around longer, but if I get another PC key I will jump in.

Not sure how the preorder guaranteed key is supposed to work, I thought it would be an automatic download of the beta but so far I haven't seen any option to. Leaving for the weekend tomorrow so hoping to get some more action in tonight since yesterday was just matchmaking nonsense

The cluster grenade launcher is awesome though, if you know where the objective is. And I can confirm that you can get hurt through your visor on your shield but still can't say if it required heavier guns than smg/shotty. All I know is that shields are quickly becoming a crutch for bad players and a lot of times simple circle strafing is enough to take them out anymore

Orv
May 4, 2011
The cluster grenades are such a messy thing, but when they work they tend to do great and terrible things. I feel like the best attack setup will end up being something like Fuze, Blitz/Montagne, Thermite and two people with heavy punch, as it's slowly turning out most of the operatives aren't very useful aside from getting two reinforcements over the recruits one.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Thermite will be a sure bet on any team, most likely, because reenforced walls can really impair things. Biggest example are the garage doors in the basement of the house, if you bar them down you basically only have a single door into the room so everyone always picks that spot to drop in.

E. Seems that the technical test people can keep on playing through this closed beta :toot:

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 24, 2015

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If anyone's looking for a PC key i just got one through this Nvidia giveaway.
https://contests.nvidia.com/en-us/rainbow-six-siege-giveaway

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
No idea if it worked since it said it would send me instructions at a later point in time but it basically gave me a code right away and said I was guaranteed to be in the beta so yay?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

No idea if it worked since it said it would send me instructions at a later point in time but it basically gave me a code right away and said I was guaranteed to be in the beta so yay?

A lot of the Nvidia stuff will give you a code that you have to plug into their form to get your real code, it is kind of roundabout but I assume it is to prevent people from just hammering the "get code" button and selling off the extras

Unrelated, I have received an email about my technical beta test acct. continuing to be open but I haven't received my preorder code for ps4. They are going to get some hate mail over this from other people, I bet you that.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 24, 2015

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yea I saw the same thing, but I entered the code on the beta website, and it said I had access. No email on how to download yet though.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Duckaerobics posted:

Yea I saw the same thing, but I entered the code on the beta website, and it said I had access. No email on how to download yet though.

Only hazarding a guess, but if you had to log in to your Uplay account to register the code, I'd just check to see if it's available for download via Uplay. For the record, though I haven't been home to launch it, I remoted in to my PC earlier today and Steam had added an entry in my library for the Beta, and I was able to download it no problem. 5+ GB I think.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Av027 posted:

Only hazarding a guess, but if you had to log in to your Uplay account to register the code, I'd just check to see if it's available for download via Uplay. For the record, though I haven't been home to launch it, I remoted in to my PC earlier today and Steam had added an entry in my library for the Beta, and I was able to download it no problem. 5+ GB I think.

Yea I checked U-play and nothing on there.

Apparently, they are allowing access in waves. According to this reddit post anyone who has "guaranteed access" will get their invite info today or tomorrow. It seems like this includes people who pre-ordered.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/3m8os2/update_regarding_closed_beta_access/

Duckaerobics fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 24, 2015

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Duckaerobics posted:

Apparently, they are allowing access in waves. According to this reddit post anyone who has "guaranteed access" will get their invite info today or tomorrow. It seems like this includes people who pre-ordered.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/3m8os2/update_regarding_closed_beta_access/

For clarity: did purchase via Steam, purchased this past Monday. Thanks for the info - have several buddies that grabbed free codes. Guess tonight might be a solo act.

A SWELL DUDE
Feb 8, 2005

Just got my code for PC. Uplay = aSwellDude if anyone wants to play.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
In Beta on PS4. If anyone wants to play.

PSN: Xs1nX

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I was really hoping this would be the next Vegas, sadly I was mistaken.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fun times with Goons tonight on PC, definitely needs a bit of rebalancing but the game is pretty solid even now. I'm hoping that Thunt won't prove to be disappointing

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Just installed the Beta. Haven't played the Alpha, all I know about the game is what was in the trailer.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
I sent friend requests to two of you, hope to play sometime. I'm terrible FYI

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I'll be on the mumble tonight hopefully, I think I might also pre-order next week or if it goes on sale, I had allot of fun in the 3 hours I got to play, really like the slower pace.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Is there a mumble that you guys are on? If so can we put it in the OP?

Orv
May 4, 2011

ThePeavstenator posted:

Is there a mumble that you guys are on? If so can we put it in the OP?

It's Camping The Stairs in PGS.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

This game is pretty fun yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

I'm chilling out in the misc mumble channel Buttes on CTS. I'll be playing for a while, so if any goons with weird hours hop on, I'll be in there.

• Locked thread