Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Just watched this two nights ago and I loved it. It's one of the best movies i've seen in a while and I'll definitely be rewatching it within the next week.

The only thought I have to contribute that hasn't been mentioned really in this thread:

I definitely felt like Kate's character represented the complicity of the American audience to the events of the movie but how they play out in real life, ie Cartel violence & black ops. It's not a big secret that the US has played a huge role in the violence in Mexico that is going on today, as well as South and Central America. It's kinda hidden in plain sight and it's there if any citizen wants to take the time to actually look at it, but it's terrifying to do so. Much like Kate's character as she's brought thru this march down into Hell, what she witnesses conflicts so much with her core ideas about her position in the world, and what her country's motives and goals are. Her worldview is completely shattered and she desperately is trying to hold on to any semblance of Order all the way until the end when she puts her gun down and lets Alejandro walk away.

I couldn't help feeling that there was a definite parallel with the scene of Jefe Grande sitting in his peaceful glorious mansion with his family for dinner, and the scene that immediately follows which is Kate in her colorless but still peaceful condo (both abodes are infiltrated by Alejandro too). The parallel is made explicit by Alejandro's damning indictment of The Boss and his family in the former, and him forcing Kate to comply and sign her own damnation of involvement in the latter. The Boss being the more active role of participation in the violence, and Kate (the American public) the passive one. We enjoy superficial amenities at the price of mass murder perpetrated far from our lives of luxury. There really was no need for that scene with Kate and Alejandro and The Contract at the end except for driving home this point. We've let the beast loose for too long and it is creeping closer and closer back to us. The chickens are coming home to roost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it takes balls for a hollywood thriller to commit so fully to being completely unsatisfying. i mean that in a good way.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it takes balls for a hollywood thriller to commit so fully to being completely unsatisfying. i mean that in a good way.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Feel-bad movie of the year!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Feel-bad movie of the year!

Unironically this and I love it.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Best movie of 2015 for me

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

willie_dee posted:

Best movie of 2015 for me

This is what I would be saying if Fury Road didn't exist, but I'm surprised and thrilled that both movies met and surpassed my expectations. I talked with a stranger for 3 hours yesterday about movies, much of which we agreed on, and he went away vowing to watch the entire Villanueve catalog.

I felt a little jealous, actually.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

This is what I would be saying if Fury Road didn't exist

Between Sicario, Fury Road, Ex Machina, and The Hateful Eight, this is one of the best years for American film since 2007.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Martman posted:

If this were a thread about weather and a lot of people disagreed about why rain exists, it would be nice of you to clarify it for them.

"Clarify it for them". As if anyone married to a film will suddenly realize it is not great based on things that have already been stated.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

centaurtainment posted:

Between Sicario, Fury Road, Ex Machina, and The Hateful Eight, this is one of the best years for American film since 2007.

Mad Max: Fury Road, Sicario, and most likely The Revenant for me.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Immortan posted:

Mad Max: Fury Road, Sicario, and most likely The Revenant for me.

Have you seen The Revenant? I did and thought it was good, not great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

centaurtainment posted:

I'm still anxious to see it, but a lot of people I trust have basically said the same thing and it only makes me more curious. Is it a Gravity-type situation where people find it simplistic and gimmicky?

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm still anxious to see it, but a lot of people I trust have basically said the same thing and it only makes me more curious. Is it a Gravity-type situation where people find it simplistic and gimmicky?

The opposite problems, actually. I found it to be bloated. The script took what should have been a simple story and added in at least one too many subplots, which dilutes the impact it should have. If it were only its best scenes, it would be a great movie, but there's a lot of fat there.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

centaurtainment posted:

The opposite problems, actually. I found it to be bloated. The script took what should have been a simple story and added in at least one too many subplots, which dilutes the impact it should have. If it were only its best scenes, it would be a great movie, but there's a lot of fat there.

This is pretty common with Inarittu, I think. I'm still looking forward to it though.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

This is pretty common with Inarittu, I think. I'm still looking forward to it though.

I guess I was hoping that he would be able to build on the relative subtlety of Birdman when compared to his previous films, but the The Revenant is more like his older stuff, a very simplistic, on-the-nose type movie with almost nothing left to the imagination that treats the audience members like idiots who need every last thing spelled out for them five times. There are places where that works to its advantage, specifically Leo's character's parts, but overall I think it could have used a good editor to streamline it.

It's definitely worth seeing; like Sicario (we're still in that thread, right?) it has some incredible individual scenes and at least one great performance.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

centaurtainment posted:

I guess I was hoping that he would be able to build on the relative subtlety of Birdman when compared to his previous films, but the The Revenant is more like his older stuff, a very simplistic, on-the-nose type movie with almost nothing left to the imagination that treats the audience members like idiots who need every last thing spelled out for them five times. There are places where that works to its advantage, specifically Leo's character's parts, but overall I think it could have used a good editor to streamline it.

It's definitely worth seeing; like Sicario (we're still in that thread, right?) it has some incredible individual scenes and at least one great performance.

I definitely think Inarritu condescends a lot, but he's obviously gifted. And hell, I'll see it for Chivo's camerawork alone.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
the revenant has kind of a pervasive "is this boring? are people confused?" anxiety running all through it, centaurtainment is absolutely right, it feels like a filmmaker talking down to his audience

I mean it's well shot, has good performances, all that nice stuff, but it's lacking any kind of substance or subtlety, it's the year's biggest waste of potential

sicario is way better

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

centaurtainment posted:

Not yet. The trailers look amazing though. I love the time period it's set in. I heard it's a hard R and I'm so down for a long chase across rugged, snowy terrain. The scenery is one of the main reasons I liked Sicario as well.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
The most entertaining thing about The Revenant is the utter contempt that the film has for its main character. Watch it and note how many times Fitzgerald's thinking is shown to be sound.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

centaurtainment posted:

That's how I felt watching it as well. It is not a bad movie but it felt too long and boring at times. The bear scene was insane though.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone needs to make a thread for The Revenant. I'm seeing discussion about it everywhere.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Especially since I'm trying to go into it blind. I did not expect to find a dozen posts about it in the Sicario thread...

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 28, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CD currently has a pretty big problem with only blockbusters getting threads most of the time.

Indrid_Cold
May 15, 2014
Holy poo poo, I don't know if this has been raised already but on the topic of how much the US outpunches the cartel, immediately after the bank scene when Kate makes a big deal over the 17 mil they've seized, we cut to a news scroll about how congress has approved 600 mil to train new agents it is not the focus of the shot but it is just another layer to that theme.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Someone needs to make a thread for The Revenant. I'm seeing discussion about it everywhere.

Done

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Indrid_Cold posted:

Holy poo poo, I don't know if this has been raised already but on the topic of how much the US outpunches the cartel, immediately after the bank scene when Kate makes a big deal over the 17 mil they've seized, we cut to a news scroll about how congress has approved 600 mil to train new agents it is not the focus of the shot but it is just another layer to that theme.

I noticed this on my first watch but what it meant didn't really hit me until my rewatch this morning. There are a lot of tiny details that make the movie really cool and I found it really hard to not talk about how great the movie is while my buddy (his 1st time) and I (my 2nd) were watching it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Man, when Birdman is your subtle film...

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I watched this immediately after having finished The Cartel by Don Winslow, and it was a perfect "companion" piece in that so much of the stuff talked about in the book is apparent on screen. Even if I hadn't though, it was by far the best movie I've seen this year. I loved Prisoners and this reminded me so much of that, I think I'm going to have to go back and re-watch it soon.

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
I liked this movie, it looked gorgeous, the acting was loving sublime and I thought it was very layered but after reading some of this thread I see I didn't catch even half the subtext the first time round.

You do realise this is a comic book story though right? What irks me the most is the way this movie bait-n-switched from being one kind of movie (and presenting itself as such in all promos) into another. I suppose the tell that it was going to change was when Brolin's character asked Blunt if she wanted a 'tasty beverage' - it struck me as an odd reference but it set the scene for the last act.

Initially the film has the hallmarks of gritty drugwar movies of old: feds rubbing up against the cia, rustling cartel hoods to move up a player at a time etc, but then one of the leads goes all metal gear solid on the the crime boss and his family in their guarded mansion. This just does not happen in real life or even decent literature, only in comic books and computer games.

The superhero/comic sensibility has taken over cinema something awful over the past few years, seems that since the superhero shtick started pulling in guaranteed returns people are trying to recreate the formula in stories that don't involve spandex tights.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

cupachabra posted:

Initially the film has the hallmarks of gritty drugwar movies of old: feds rubbing up against the cia, rustling cartel hoods to move up a player at a time etc, but then one of the leads goes all metal gear solid on the the crime boss and his family in their guarded mansion. This just does not happen in real life or even decent literature, only in comic books and computer games.

what do you consider "decent litersture?"

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

what do you consider "decent litersture?"

I duonno

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What in the gently caress makes this a "comic book" story?

That sort of thing might not happen often in real life, but it certainly happens in movies. Non-comic book movies, even.

Your point that the movie isn't realist is valid, but would hardly consider it to be something related to comic book fever. This type of story telling is very old. Look at any mythology and you will find the character archetype of the brave warrior poisoned by tragedy. The knight who slew a hundred men and stormed the castle by himself.

Alejandro kills what, 5 armed guards with the element of surprise? Is Fist Full of Dollars also a comic book story?

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
Spaghetti westerns aren't comic books, you're right, but the format is the same and you know what you're getting when you go and see one.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd hardly count the presence of some unexpected, yet well-integrated, pulp elements as a strike against the film.

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
Neither do I. Perhaps you are taking my comic comment to heart, it seems that you are. The pulp aspect of this film was maybe foreshadowed by the 'tasty beverage' reference I mentioned earlier.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My beef is entirely with your use of the term "comic book" in a way that is not only inaccurate, but divisive.

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
your avatar

edit:

Snak posted:

My beef is entirely with your use of the term "comic book" in a way that is not only inaccurate, but divisive.
/

macdonal hamborkles fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 31, 2015

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

cupachabra posted:

Neither do I. Perhaps you are taking my comic comment to heart, it seems that you are. The pulp aspect of this film was maybe foreshadowed by the 'tasty beverage' reference I mentioned earlier.
The tone of your posts suggests you somehow take issue with it.

The interesting thing is how the video game aspects are used. The film has a realistic style up until the "money shot" of the special ops team descending into the tunnel. Suddenly, we're no longer in our mundane reality, we're in Call of Duty. The logic has changed. Double-tapping Kate in her chest plate is a reasonable and effective means for Alejandro to subdue her. Silencers have the painfully unrealistic wet pew-pew sound straight out of an 80's action movie. It is entirely possible for Alejandro score several killing headshots on targets he's not looking at. When the operation is over and everyone returns to the US side of the tunnel, the style switches back to realism.

Two worlds with two different logics. The transitions between the two are subtle but important thematically.

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
I'm out

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Where can I read/watch more cartel stuff? There was a pretty good thread about it ages ago but I have no idea where it's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Just let it happen, man.

• Locked thread