Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Hello and welcome to this let's play where we will be experiencing the joys of Peggle, a game about scoring points through making pegs dissappear by shooting them with balls, aided by super powers granted to you by bizarre talking animals.

I daresay there is no one more qualified than me to guide you through this experience, given that I have exactly 2029 hours of Peggle logged in Steam at the time of writing this. But enough words, let's get into it!

This is the very happy loading screen, although that sun is a bit terrifying to me for some reason

Our journey begins with us enrolling in the prestigious Peggle Academy.

Our application is approved :toot:

This is the main screen of the game. During this LP we will be going through the Adventure Mode, which will spoon feed ya'll with the concepts and skills you'll need to become Peggle Masters. We may or may not look at the other game modes later on. No promises!

Stage one hasn't even begun yet, and things are already starting to get weird as a freakish unicorn speaks words at us.

Okay, the instructions are clear enough. Shoot balls at orange things and also other things, but mostly the orange things.

Ten balls and a lot of pegs to go! Bjorn the Unicorn (i've never noticed that rhymes before) withheld some important information: If our ball lands in the basket that keeps moving around on the bottom, we get our ball back. That's pretty good.

Okay, that's all we need to know for now. Time for the audience participation part: Goons, where do we shoot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Between the right-most orange peg and the blue peg to it's immediate right, hoping to bounce down onto the next two orange pegs.

EDIT: Yes, I know, but this is Peggle. No place for jokes.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Shoot UP.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

We can't shoot more UP than this, sorry! also no drug references please. at least not to intravenous drugs.

JohnCompany posted:

Between the right-most orange peg and the blue peg to it's immediate right, hoping to bounce down onto the next two orange pegs.

EDIT: Yes, I know, but this is Peggle. No place for jokes.

You got it!

That was a rather decent shot: didn't hit both the orange pegs you were aiming for, but still!

9 balls left! As you can see, the lights on the right light up as we remove orange pegs, and will increase our score multipliers as we pass the thresholds. I'll talk more about how scoring works later, I guess.

What next?

Successful Student
Jan 29, 2009
Aim for the rightmost orange peg (in that group of six up at the top right). Try and bounce the ball off of the lower left edge of that peg, if you can.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Got it! I have a good feeling about this one

whoosh

pew!

pshooow

IN THE BASKET!

FREE BAAAALL

At this point, Bjorn finally sees fit to tell us about the basket and the miracle of free balls. But since I missed screenshotting it and already explained it anyways, let's talk scoring instead:

Our score for each shot is the combined value of all the pegs we hit (10 for blues, 100 for orange ones, without multipliers) combined by the total number of pegs we hit. This means a shot that takes out a lot of pegs will give us more points than a shot which only hits a few, even if the ones we hit are more valuable.

In this case, we gain 520 x 16 = 8320 points, making Successful Student the most proficient peggler thus far in this LP :neckbeard:

What's the next target?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Try to hit the topmost peg on the left there, with the three in a row.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

I assumed you meant the topmost orange peg here! Anyways, this type of shot is always quite tricky, and I've never been able to make them reliably. Another option would have been to bounce it down from the blue peg to the above-left of the one I'm aiming for, but that would probably turn out worse if I mess it up.

:ohdear:

c'mon hit something orange drat you :pray:

:(

Only a thousand points, but we cleared out a couple of obstructing blue pegs at least

What next?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I'm sorry :(

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Aim at the upper-left corner of the orange peg just right of center (i.e. the one just to the right of the guide in the last screenshot).

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

don't worry we are all chill peggle bros here :)

AweStriker posted:

Aim at the upper-left corner of the orange peg just right of center (i.e. the one just to the right of the guide in the last screenshot).

Fingers crossed!

oh god where is the ball where is it gonna bounce

oh :(

(Not pictured: 1360 points)

hey guys maybe we can make this one a great shot?

Successful Student
Jan 29, 2009
Aim directly at the upper-left corner of the rightmost orange peg in the top row.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax
Shoot right to the left of where your guide is pointed in between the blue pegs.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

aw man can I get a tiebreaker here?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Successful Student posted:

Aim directly at the upper-left corner of the rightmost orange peg in the top row.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Not pictured: me lining up the shot, me taking the shot

Pictured: me accidentally shooting before I'm ready

Pictured: the ball bouncing wildly as I flail about trying to find the screenshot button

at least it's another free ball, those are always great! :woop:

our average score per shot is pretty bad though tbh

Still, some juicy opportunities here! Where do we aim?

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I think it would make more sense to post shots in gif or webm

also shoot here

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

Lacedaemonius posted:

also shoot here

What this nerd said. Basically where I was aiming for anyhow.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Lacedaemonius posted:

yeah I'll look into it but it might be too much :effort: for the purposes of a chill LP about shooting balls at pegs, we'll see :shrug:

Lacedaemonius posted:

also shoot here

I'll get right on this though

hey have you noticed how the freaky unicorn follows the balls with his eyes?

4830 points, not overly shabby.

Thank you for the heads-up Bjorn! You may also have noticed that we've now passed the 3x threshold, meaning we can hopefully score some nice points from here on out!

With that said, where do we want to put it?

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually
put it on the top of the orange peg in that diag. row of 3 on the left

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
bounce it off the left side of the peg it's pointed at now so we can hit the one just below next time

Successful Student
Jan 29, 2009

Lacedaemonius posted:

bounce it off the left side of the peg it's pointed at now so we can hit the one just below next time

This is a good idea, let's do this.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Shoot directly into the basket.

INFINITE FREE BALLS!

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Good old Peggle, I used to play it while raiding in world of warcraft

Powerfrog posted:

INFINITE FREE BALLS!

This is the logical choice

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Powerfrog posted:

INFINITE FREE BALLS!

Ahundredbux posted:

This is the logical choice

So I tried out this gif-making business (thanks Ahundredbux for recommending me software)

(I HAVE NO IDEA WHY IT DOES THE GREEN SCREEN THING. I hope it sorts itself out. also pictured: me taking screenshots because I do not trust modern technology)

well that was embarrassing :( luckily, if you don't hit a single peg you have a 50-50 chance of getting the ball back for free! Peggle is nothing if not merciful

Let's try that again!

Much better!

I'll just keep doing this until you ask me to do something else, then.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Try bounce it very slightly left off the central blue peg so it bounces into the mass of pegs that make up the left side of the screen.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
OP, please shoot south-southwest into the gap between the two diagonal blues. Ideally, bounce it up off the lower one into the upper one, allowing it to continue downwards into the bulk of the remaining pegs.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Aim for the lonely blue peg on the bottom right

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Krazyface posted:

OP, please shoot south-southwest into the gap between the two diagonal blues. Ideally, bounce it up off the lower one into the upper one, allowing it to continue downwards into the bulk of the remaining pegs.

i'm going with this suggestion because you said please

This is a bit of a dangerous shot, as the ball could easily bounce of the top blue peg and fly harmlessly off to the right, but here goes!

:master:

Krazyface is the new thread champion with 15600 points :toot:

Getting close to the end, where next?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Covski posted:

:master:

Krazyface is the new thread champion with 15600 points :toot:

This one time I was playing against my sister, like six or seven years ago. I was about a million points ahead (it was like a LONG game-mode, and she said the machine was biased towards player one, so we swapped for a single shot. I got something insane like 500k points, it was the best shot I've ever made.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Close your eyes, move the mouse around a bit and then shoot.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Krazyface posted:

This one time I was playing against my sister, like six or seven years ago. I was about a million points ahead (it was like a LONG game-mode, and she said the machine was biased towards player one, so we swapped for a single shot. I got something insane like 500k points, it was the best shot I've ever made.

what up fellow peggle master? :hfive:

My best shot I have a replay of is around 484k, but I won't show that off yet to avoid spoiling things. Also I don't want to brag :smug:

also speaking of that: :siren: please use spoiler tags when discussion things we haven't seen in the LP yet thank you :siren:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Pixeltendo posted:

Close your eyes, move the mouse around a bit and then shoot.

well that worked out decently all things considered

also it is doing that horrible thing with the greenscreen again only I changed it to a redscreen

I probably should figure out what's causing that huh?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bottom right on the group of 4 in the middle.

It is your destiny.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

You should be able to solve this quite easily.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Katznmaus posted:

You should be able to solve this quite easily.

This doesn't work as I can't shoot through those things on the edge of the board. Otherwise, this would be child's play :colbert:

Hammer Floyd posted:

Bottom right on the group of 4 in the middle.

It is your destiny.

Watch me carefully line this shot up with the basket!

:smug:

A lot of things give you style bonuses: landing a shot in the bucket after bouncing of the side of it is one of them. (there was no luck involved)

And with that, we have a new thread hero in Hammer Floyd, 32000 points ohmigod!! :woop:

What's next?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Aim at the top of the blue peg to the lower right of the top right red peg.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

This surely cannot fail.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

Covski posted:

This doesn't work as I can't shoot through those things on the edge of the board. Otherwise, this would be child's play :colbert:
What a shame! But now you've fixed the green and red mess in the background, hurray!
So anyway, why does the unicorn have four nostrils?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I assume this is the one you meant!

:siren: i won't accept responsibility for failing/succeeding despite your efforts unless you provide me with sperglordy illustrations of your intended shots :siren:

We're getting pretty good at hitting the basket, I didn't even aim for it this time!

Only two pegs left, do we play it safe or attempt a trick shot?

• Locked thread