Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

NihilismNow posted:

This is not really the case. Muslims in Western europe are very conservative and hate gays as much as your average middle eastern muslim.
You for example do not want to walk through a muslim neighbourhood holding hands with another man in say Amsterdam, things won't end well for you.

I live 50% in Amsterdam, 50% in Canada and I kind of agree with what you saying.

In Amsterdam, the Muslim population has differently came, and sort of made certain area's their's. Pretty much pretended to still be in their homeland kind of deal. They haven't ingratiated very well into the country. But a lot of those Muslims are either born in a Muslim country, or are secound generation and still hold a lot of the "homeland" values. Because of this, a lot of dutch Muslims are more open about being against homosexuality and other lifestyle views that tend to clash with western lifestyles. In The Netherlands there is very much a us vs them that both Muslims and white dutch people happily par take in.

That being said, I find the younger generations are changing that. I have met many Muslims who are open minded and some are even gay themselves. There are also young Muslims who are very much ingratiating into both cultural (with some difficulty thanks to the older generation of both sides).

Meanwhile, in Canada, the entire Canadian "cultural" is all about multiculturalism, and there really is no way of cutting yourself from it. Yes you can have neighborhoods who are majority of said cultural or religion, but in the end Muslims are interacting with non Muslims a lot during their day. Canadian Muslims are not openly against gays, because it is very socially pressured to not speak against other lifestyles, and to be part of this utopia of mix cultural/lifestyles and acceptance. So Canadian Muslims generally keep their mouths shut about these sort of topics. Except when Ontario tried to change the sex ed curriculum which talked about homosexuality.

Funny enough though, I find Muslims in Amsterdam are more liberal with their outfits, even the ladies who wear head scarfs. I have seen track suit tom boy hijabi ladies, western stylish hijab ladies, and ladies who wore hijabs and mixed both traditional and western into their outfits.
They are really into fusion modern wear with modest wear.

While in my city in Canada, Muslims either don't wear the scarf, or they are full out scarf, abaya, niqabs, etc.
I actually find the Muslims here in Canada more conservative in some aspects, especially in clothing.

So what I am saying is, if you are gay in Amsterdam, its best not walk down the street holding hands with your partner in a muslin community, but at the same time, you won't be killed over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread