Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

CzarChasm posted:

I can't seem to get the reversal move to work. The description says to hold x y or lb after dodging to activate, but it doesn't seem to work. My guy just stands there. What am I missing?

It has the same timing as Grimlock's Dino Grab, which has a helpful button prompt when you can do it. I'd advise practicing with him and then trying it with buttons other than B in his Robot form, and finally trying it on other characters.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How does the leveling work?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Turtlicious posted:

How does the leveling work?

As far as I can tell, you get exp in a stat for using something associated with that stat. At least, my own personal confirmation bias has noticed ranged stats going up with shooting and melee stats going up when punching and so on. If you want to beef up stats, you're probably better served just pumping cash into them.

Anyway, I think I've determined the scoring system in this game. As everyone probably noticed, it's score based like Revengence, rather than medal based like Bayo/Korra/W101 etc, but it's very "farmable". When you do certain things you get 10 bonus points, and I'm not clear on whether or not there's a strict cap on the points you can get in a certain category. I've noticed my own bonuses in single categories going well over 100 on occasion.

In general, taking damage or being slow doesn't matter as long as you make up the deficit in bonuses. For instance, on one of the challenge missions where you fight all the Autobots in sequence, I ended up using an auto-repair kit and getting 0 extra points for damage, and only 50 for time, and still got SS rank. When I looked around the internet, it seems like a lot of people have had success getting SS ranks using fairly boring strategies like spamming rush attacks into vehicle attacks. It seems like, other than lowering your time, it's actively detrimental to your score to do normal melee combos. You'd get a higher score sitting there and dodging into focus time and doing reflex attacks over and over than you would hitting dudes. This is what I've noticed as well, I've never tried a strict "no melee attack" run to test it, but I get very high scores on missions that don't give me much breathing room to do normal combos, because they turn into carnivals of reflex attacks which gives you oodles of free bonus points.

Of course, on the highest difficulty it's entirely possible that there are caps and such and it's impossible to get good ranks without getting the full 400 bonus for Damage+Time as well as a hefty portion of the bonuses (reflex, headshot, etc), but on difficulties below that it feels like "farming bonuses" is (unfortunately) the optimal strategy. Granted in some missions that may be easier said than done.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 12, 2015

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Is the timing on the parry tighter than Rising? I know it's not a central game mechanic like in MGR, but it doesn't feel as reliable here.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Veotax posted:

Is the timing on the parry tighter than Rising? I know it's not a central game mechanic like in MGR, but it doesn't feel as reliable here.

Yes the window has been made tighter

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

How does the "mashing after shield-breaker move" work? Does it even work with dino-mode? I've tried holding the heavy attack button after a shield-breaker, but it still just seems to be the regular belly-flop.

Honestly is there any reason not to just be a dinosaur and dinosaur the poo poo out of everything? I've never watched transformers but Grimlock is obviously the best character in this game, gently caress optimus prime.

Also, I bought the bat-within equivalent, but I haven't noticed any particularly fancy dodges. Does it not get a cool alternate animation?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You have to hold down the heavy attack shield breaker for a fraction of a second then start mashing the button, it's easy to mess up the timing in the heat of things.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Trick Question posted:

How does the "mashing after shield-breaker move" work? Does it even work with dino-mode? I've tried holding the heavy attack button after a shield-breaker, but it still just seems to be the regular belly-flop.

Honestly is there any reason not to just be a dinosaur and dinosaur the poo poo out of everything? I've never watched transformers but Grimlock is obviously the best character in this game, gently caress optimus prime.

Also, I bought the bat-within equivalent, but I haven't noticed any particularly fancy dodges. Does it not get a cool alternate animation?

I just tried, it doesn't seem like it works on Grimlock.

As for not playing with him, eh, he's strong, bulky, and slow. He probably has the most interesting combo system. Play who you like.

The bat-within equivalent makes you stand there and glow blue for half a second like you're just no-selling the attack, which I guess is cool in its own way.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wow the hammer is incredibly my poo poo. If it doesn't two shot a mook it stunlocks them. All the fights with the Devastator crew was just me dodging and countering with the hammer.

Liking it so far but man that first mission felt like it took ages for me because it's huge and sprawling.

I'm finding timing on the tech minigame off, like I actually have input lag getting it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Prime is the best character because his special is an aoe and most encounters are grouped.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The game never expressly says it, but the Grappling Hook gun works as a Grappling Hook on enemies, dragging them towards you. Great for Seekers.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Game rocks. If I have one complaint, though, it's that item management can be a pain. You can only sell/synthesize one item at a time, which takes several seconds apiece. When you start reaching the weapon cap of 200... that is a lot of loving about in a menu when I wanna be out punching robots in the dick. Game really needs the ability to select more than one item for each operation.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Hmm...Optimus Prime with spinning buzz saw blades for hands...why yes that is awesome.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sarrisan posted:

Game rocks. If I have one complaint, though, it's that item management can be a pain. You can only sell/synthesize one item at a time, which takes several seconds apiece. When you start reaching the weapon cap of 200... that is a lot of loving about in a menu when I wanna be out punching robots in the dick. Game really needs the ability to select more than one item for each operation.

Yeah this really feels like the first loot system they've done and completely misunderstood how the UI needs improvements to prevent it getting in the way of the rest of the game.

Like the game showing you loot you've collected one by one is nice and all but after the first time you just start skipping it. Having synthesis take a second to complete is annoying considering the amount of loot you get and the amount of synthesizing you're doing.

Also I get headaches from the insanely bright blue UI background with twitching mesh.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
The combat is polished and smooth as gently caress, but they probably should have had at least one playtester gently caress about in the synthesize menu with the objective "how long exactly does it take you to want to kill your self?"

My guess is somewhere around 10 minutes.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Hell maybe this is a playtest for a loot system in Scalebound.

Fat chance that they'll update it now.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Sakurazuka posted:

I rarely use items, mostly because I've been conditioned by other Platinum games to consider that taking the easy way out.
I've been kind of down on this game for lack of flash compared to other P* games but the boss battle with Soundwave at the end of Stage 6 looked awesome, I just wish bosses did something other than fall down or run away when you beat them.

Well, what happened in the 80's cartoon when someone was defeated? Outside of the movie, of course.

Real hurthling! posted:

on ps4 you can switch it at the system level

Should be patched into the Bone in November. All games should let you map buttons if you want, though. Just, in general.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Is there an achievement for reading all the legal notes? Shits 59 pages wtf

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Is there a reason why I'm not getting a QTE finish on the second to last fight? The one against Megatron that's not in space

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Seems to be triggered by dodging one of his attacks when hes low?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

inthesto posted:

Is there a reason why I'm not getting a QTE finish on the second to last fight? The one against Megatron that's not in space

Did you murder him with a hammer before he could finish all his dialogue? Because that's what I did.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Buy this game so we can get some DLC. Let us play as Blaster or the decepticons.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

You motherfucker platinum, I KNEW YOU WOULD BE HIDING STUFF THERE I HAD TO GROUND POUND TO GET

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Onmi posted:

You motherfucker platinum, I KNEW YOU WOULD BE HIDING STUFF THERE I HAD TO GROUND POUND TO GET

Yeah, I saw that loving fountain. First I did a donut around it to see if maybe I was supposed to circle it like in W101, but yup, ground pound.

I was kinda mad that a later fountain in the same level didn't have anything.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Wow this game really rocks. I wasn't sure what to expect, honestly, and after Korra I ind of anticipated something clunkier and in that style. Instead, this game is lightning fast, smooth and kinetic and the combat starts out great and gets better. There's something wildly joyful about chaining Transform attacks together and smashing up loving robots. The Construcicons in particular are surprisingly imaginative enemies, and I like the simplicity in the variety they provide. The game is fluid in swapping between melee and ranged combat, and everything feels very fast.

It's like somebody married Bayonetta and Vanquish and I have never been happier. I have only beaten the first level, but I am expecting great things.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

What does the green shield mean on the map? What weapon do you need for that one beacon in Chapter 1? How do you break the in-air vehicle chests? Oh wait the red energon cubes.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Onmi posted:

What does the green shield mean on the map? What weapon do you need for that one beacon in Chapter 1? How do you break the in-air vehicle chests? Oh wait the red energon cubes.

If it is what I think it is, that's the green autobot symbol letting you know that's a spot you can go into the Ark.

You can visit those whenever you want, and it will deposit any weapons pickups you had found at the time into your inventory too mid mission.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
The green shield is your save point/teleport to base.

Also for people interested in getting all the goodies I'd recommend grinding cheap techs until you get a radar lv.1.

I've yet to see lv.2. Does that show up if you play on commander or up?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I think my radar may have bugged out, I triggered the treasure zone and revealed the chest but the radar shows treasure as still being there.

Also I'm very pissed I missed Secret Mission 1-2. I only wanted a better gun to do it with (Sideswipes Flamethrower and missile launcher is awful for it) and now it's gone.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Onmi posted:

Also I'm very pissed I missed Secret Mission 1-2. I only wanted a better gun to do it with (Sideswipes Flamethrower and missile launcher is awful for it) and now it's gone.

I was able to restart that level mid way and get a different character. A machine gun makes it so easy.

I need some help, what's a better way to take down shields? I'm only trying the dash attacks and finding it slowing me down or breaking the flow of a fight so there's gotta be a better way to do it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dash Attacks, Overdrive move, L1 specials (I think). You can also try and hit them from behind and it's possible that explosive weaponry works but I'm not 100% sure.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Is there a faster way to pull off a dash attack? It can only seem to trigger if I build up a little speed.

Does a ground pound work?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haven't tried ground pound on them, as far as I know there's no way to do a dash attack quicker but it seemed to work for me whatever speed I was going.
Unfortunately I think the shield guys are there deliberately to break up combat and so you can't just stand there dodge countering the whole time.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I just find having to back off for a rush attach annoying. Doubly so when my first one doesn't get all the shield users.

Does a charged up heavy attack do the job too? Can the charge use dodge offset?

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
So nobody can tell whether the 360 version still has weirdass issues with DLC or saving? GFAQs is no help, as can largely be expected.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I do hate the one in every 100 of the satellites that requires a weapon you lack on hand, with no visual indicator of what weapon you need.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Golden Goat posted:

Is there a faster way to pull off a dash attack? It can only seem to trigger if I build up a little speed.

Does a ground pound work?

You need to either use the burnout skill, or get about three car-lengths of full speed going.

You know you're going fast enough when fire comes out of the exhaust pipes. Speed will build up even if you're turning, so you can stay reasonably close and evasive for the couple seconds it takes for your exhaust to spit fire.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Optimus's special ability breaks shields.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tae posted:

Optimus's special ability breaks shields.

Yeah, shields are trivial before OP.

So I'll temper my enthusiasim--this game definitely seems to have had a smaller budget than it initially seems. There's basically only three levels, although I'm kind of intrigued by how they approached the limited space. This is the first Platinum game that feels like it has a hub of some sort--you return to the city streets multiple times, but often just so you can go to another location that's opened up. The streets don't seem to change much so you get opportunities to get collectibles you missed, I guess, or maybe they remix those too. Either way, it reminds me VERY slightly of the first Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox, where you had the capital of Vigoor which was this hub that connected the game together. I'd like to see that concept fleshed out a bit more if they do this again, perhaps with more character-exclusive content in the main area: Grimlock could have had unique side missions that utilize his unique movesets or you could have had bonus duels tucked away some place.

As it stands, I rented the game and after one night of play I think I'm on Chapter 7 or 8 and I feel very near the end. While the levels are kind of whatever, the boss fights are stellar. They lack that sense of sheer size that most Platinum games pull off, but the one-on-one duels with the Decepticons are great. I really liked the Shockwave fight in particular, but Starscream has the coolest battle yet in that weird space corridor, that was a lot of fun. Fighting Starscream may be worth the price of admission, honestly.

This isn't a game that should cost 60 bucks though, but if it retailed for $40 I'd say that's a very fair price for a VERY fun combat engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Well , that was a nice sequel hook. Overall, liked the game, would have liked a bit more boss variation. And maybe it's because I was only on Normal, and I lucked out and got a B-Rank Hammer as a drop, but man did the bosses go down like chumps. Like I can't see how anyone can hate the hammer, it absolutely SHREDS EVERYTHING. And when you're taking an 8th of a bosses life in a single swing, you don't need to worry.

It's probably awful for SS Ranking though, I also wonder what cool parts of the game I missed by never really parrying. There was that feeling missing of over the top Platinum Crazy.

So the sequel will see Nova Prime, Superion, Defensor, and Optimus Maximus. Gives me something to look forward to.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 15, 2015

• Locked thread