Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Oh hey, here's the Transformers thread. Pretty low key release on this one but it looks pretty great. Probably will end up getting it because Platinum.

Onmi posted:

So I first heard of this game when a friend told me "Hey did you know Platinum was doing a Transformers game?" Then I just saw Chip's recent stream and went "Oh hey this is a fun game. Oh god it has weapon drops. Oh god it has stat upgrades. I'm going to lose my life to this game aren't I?"

Probably, but I'll wait until it's on sale.

notZaar posted:

Yeah same here. 50 bucks seems just a tad too steep for what is essentially a half budget, half "real" game. I'd snap it up easily at $35.

Be prepared to wait a good while because:

1. Activision
2. Licensed IP

It took forever for the older Transformers games to drop in price at least on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Well, that's annoying. Made the splash, but Devastation doesn't recognise my PC pad(Logitech cordless Rumblepad 2, if it matters). Which is odd, because Dynasty Warriors 8 Complete, 8 Empires, and Dragonball Xenoverse DO.

This doesn't seem like a game you want to use a keyboard on. Any advice? I'm sorry if I'm being dumb or something.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 10, 2015

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Just unlocked Grimlock. I am loving this combat system so much.

Bloodly posted:

Well, that's annoying. Made the splash, but Devastation doesn't recognise my PC pad(Logitech cordless Rumblepad 2, if it matters). Which is odd, because Dynasty Warriors 8 Complete, 8 Empires, and Dragonball Xenoverse DO.

This doesn't seem like a game you want to use a keyboard on. Any advice? I'm sorry if I'm being dumb or something.

Maybe not the best optimal option, but if all else fails, maybe consider something like xpadder to emulate you keyboard via a controller.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, Menasor would have curb stomped me if the game didn't give me a bunch of those auto use revive items. Is there any way of turning those off btw, other just selling them?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

Man, Menasor would have curb stomped me if the game didn't give me a bunch of those auto use revive items. Is there any way of turning those off btw, other just selling them?

Not to my knowledge. Though they won't effect your ranking at least... Directly, getting your face smashed in enough for the revive item to activate means your damage taken score is already gonna be low...

Granted, that particular boss gave me SS rank despite shoveling every small heal in my inventory into Optimus's faceplate. Maybe it liked the fact I unloaded 200+ machinegun bullets into his crotch?

On that note, If you are ever feeling unsatisfied by the guns in this game because of their low ammo counts, hold onto the first Normal machinegun you can find. The electrica/bolts machineguns seem to work more like close range flamethrowers. But the sheer ammo capacity of the normal machinegun makes you feel like a badass after having 10 or less shots from a fancy boss names pistol gets you down.

It's also great for sweeping away energy sphere attacks safely.

EDIT: vvv Well, I did get lucky and craft a +1 dodge count tech. And my Devastator Drill hands came with +focus time. So that definitely helped me spam the hell out of that more easily. I also loved using the "Hold Hard attack after a vehicle shield breaker to button mash them to death, THEN vehicle attack" as much as I could get away with. That's no joke the strongest attack in the game that isn't an ultimate.

I'd have used Sideswipe more just for his vehicle speed if his ultimate wasn't a hassle or needing to actually AIM and pick your targets, compared to Optimus "I made everyone in a mile radius explode" prime.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 10, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The ranking system seems to favor greatly for you spamming the dodge button and immediately countering followed by vehicle attack.

I did a challenge that involved an auto-revive and multiple healing items and still got SS rank because I got like 400 points in vehicle points alone.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Llyranor posted:

Maybe not the best optimal option, but if all else fails, maybe consider something like xpadder to emulate you keyboard via a controller.

I managed to figure something out. Something called 'x360ce'.

So now I'm playing with my pad. And getting horribly murdered, but that's fine. I haven't played a game like this in literal years; Dynasty Warriors doesn't really count, and I've always lacked 'skills' anyway. It's kinda astonishing. The people playing make it seems so simple, and I was kinda thinking 'Why aren't you doing X' when watching. And I'm making similar if not worse mistakes. Take items, for instance. Have them, barely use them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I rarely use items, mostly because I've been conditioned by other Platinum games to consider that taking the easy way out.
I've been kind of down on this game for lack of flash compared to other P* games but the boss battle with Soundwave at the end of Stage 6 looked awesome, I just wish bosses did something other than fall down or run away when you beat them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hasbro did put out a memo saying Devastation was basically a prequel game, so hopefully Platinum gets to make a series out of it since transformers die really quick if you progress through the timeline.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope so but I'm worried they just meant it was a prequel to the movie since they've already referenced movie stuff and I haven't finished the game yet but I have a suspicion about what this 'all consuming darkness' is.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Tae posted:

Hasbro did put out a memo saying Devastation was basically a prequel game, so hopefully Platinum gets to make a series out of it since transformers die really quick if you progress through the timeline.

:getin:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I hope so but I'm worried they just meant it was a prequel to the movie since they've already referenced movie stuff and I haven't finished the game yet but I have a suspicion about what this 'all consuming darkness' is.

Well, that would be the proper use of the term 'prequel'. There's no later 'Devastation' game for this to be the prequel of, so it makes since it is talking about the movie.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

not being able to play as optimus prime after he dies is gonna be horseshit

gently caress everyone else i only care about robot dad

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Fereydun posted:

not being able to play as optimus prime after he dies is gonna be horseshit

gently caress everyone else i only care about robot dad

It'll be worth it for a comedy game about Rodimus the Fuckup though.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
You can definitely feel the "made on a budget of :10bux: in a fortnight" constraints in the lack of enemy and environment variety and P*'s usual spectacle, but what's there is really, really fun.

Bumblebee's "slide under the legs/hop over their head" L1 thing rules.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh, Optimus comes back to life like 12 times anyway, no Starscream tho :(

Just finished it, fun game, it was definitely a downloadable title that got bumped up to full retail at some point though. Couple of battles towards the end gave me trouble, especially the Devastator/Menasor tag team. Apparently I missed triggering a classic fast punch battle with Megatron in his first form as well.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Does Japan give a poo poo about Beast Wars? I give a poo poo about beast wars. Give me Beast Wars, Platinum.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Does Japan give a poo poo about Beast Wars? I give a poo poo about beast wars. Give me Beast Wars, Platinum.

Beast Wars was so popular in Japan that they got Beast Wars the Second which was about Lio Convoy vs Galvatron who was a purple dragon that turned into a giant drill(and a theatrical movie to go with it) and Beast Wars Neo(which had an Optimus Primal Mammoth vs Magmatron who was three dinosaurs that combined into a single robot).

The japanese beast wars continuity is entirely different than that of the US version. Because they have entirely different characters appear and characters in the original beast wars show were cast entirely different like Tigertron and Airazor were gay samurais.

Most of the Beast Wars Neo toys were released in America under assorted repaints. But the Decepticons were almost all Dinosaurs. They all had very intricate transformations, like the Giraffe that turned into a missle launcher/extendable arm weapon and a robot.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 11, 2015

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxtdFQ5rwM4&t=1568s

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I vaguely wonder whether the hammer's gonna see any use. It's so slow to swing.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Wow they were profoundly unsubtle with where they're going with this should they make another one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, I mean they based it on noted subtle 80's cartoon show

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Really? I thought the hammer was one of the best weapons outside of attack speed+ weapons, but that might be my playstyle to spam dodge and get a few hits in. I only replaced the hammer once I got an S rank sword that deals 1500 per strike.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Bloodly posted:

From what I've seen the Hammer is great with the dodge system and the Super Armor enhanced charge strikes. It feels very meaty. I love weapons like it.

EDIT: I mean the games weapon switching system looks really smooth, so the Hammer looks like something you chain into for a heavy hit

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I tried the hammer, took one swing and went 'gently caress this', I hate slow heavy damage weapons

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, I mean they based it on noted subtle 80's cartoon show

That's the thing, they didn't. Its all pointed in the same direction as the comics/toys/upcoming show stuff for the next couple of years (shocking I know).

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Only played the first chapter but loving it so far. "This ship is literally carrying all of our culture" lol it's exactly like playing the 80s cartoon. The Devastator fight is kinda like an 80s version of a Dark Souls boss fight.

I really suck at this game though. Im so used to Dark Souls controls I keep accidentally pushing B when I want to dodge. Wish I could swap B and RB. Or can I do that?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Artum posted:

That's the thing, they didn't. Its all pointed in the same direction as the comics/toys/upcoming show stuff for the next couple of years (shocking I know).

I didn't realise they still did Transformers stuff that wasn't based on the dumb movies.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Disco De Soto posted:

Only played the first chapter but loving it so far. "This ship is literally carrying all of our culture" lol it's exactly like playing the 80s cartoon. The Devastator fight is kinda like an 80s version of a Dark Souls boss fight.

I really suck at this game though. Im so used to Dark Souls controls I keep accidentally pushing B when I want to dodge. Wish I could swap B and RB. Or can I do that?

on ps4 you can switch it at the system level

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I didn't realise they still did Transformers stuff that wasn't based on the dumb movies.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ideo-games.aspx

quote:

According to an exclusive report by The Hollywood Reporter, toy manufacturer Hasbro has announced that the Transformers brand will be bringing its comics, toys, and video games into a single trilogy of narratives entitled "Prime Wars." The first event in the trilogy, Combiner Wars, is currently underway in both the toy and comic universes, but no video game has been explicitly defined as a piece of the Combiner Wars arc to this point.

Activision’s Transformers: Devastation console title presents a game specific prequel story that dovetails with the expanded Combiner War story arc told in the IDW comic book series. As the Transformers story and franchise continue to evolve, Activision will continue to collaborate closely with Hasbro in exploring where to take the Transformers video game franchise beyond this week’s much anticipated release of Transformers: Devastation.

The ending is basically Nemesis Prime waking up and why Devastation is a prequel of sorts.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Sakurazuka posted:

The plot/setting stuff for this is basically the modern comics world with the tone of the old cartoon. Doesn't have Megatron being the most interesting character like he is in More than Meets the Eye but I can hardly complain.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Getting down boss attack patterns feels so rewarding. I was one or two hits away from a no damage fight with Blitzwing on Magnus difficulty. :getin:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Started playing this last night and wow I did not expect it to be this deep with the weapon customization and TECH gambling and so forth. It definitely feels kinda like playing an episode of the G1 cartoon too with how cutscenes play out. That said, how does the skill transfer work on weapons and what determines the limit on the stats you can get on TECH (like Focus duration level etc.)?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

Started playing this last night and wow I did not expect it to be this deep with the weapon customization and TECH gambling and so forth. It definitely feels kinda like playing an episode of the G1 cartoon too with how cutscenes play out. That said, how does the skill transfer work on weapons and what determines the limit on the stats you can get on TECH (like Focus duration level etc.)?

I think the tech level is just random, and transferring skills is 100% (You just need enough slots on the base weapon you're improving). So you might get a lovely D rank weapon, but it has a Attack+ level 5 you can slap on your current weapon.

Keep in mind you can't do that if your weapon reached the max level.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bloodly posted:

I understand that feeling, yeah. I used the DRILL HANDS 90% of the time, but I did keep a hammer around because on things you could get away with hitting more than once between dodges (even during focus) it's a goddamned monster.

Made even more entertaining when it's a boss that can practically be perma stunned by it. A hammer and a missile launcher turns Soundwave into a goddamned slaughter :allears:

I sure as hell did a better job with it in this game than Bayo 2. This is literally the only platinum game where I can actually continue my combos after a dodge, I just eternally gently caress it up in the rest. So the fact I could actually do more than my first attack in a combo chain forever is part of why I held onto the thing (upgrading my Steel Hammer to level 8 also helped :v:)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 11, 2015

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Tae posted:

I think the tech level is just random, and transferring skills is 100% (You just need enough slots on the base weapon you're improving). So you might get a lovely D rank weapon, but it has a Attack+ level 5 you can slap on your current weapon.

Keep in mind you can't do that if your weapon reached the max level.

Cool. So is there any particular reason to save everyone's base weapons or are they junk?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

Cool. So is there any particular reason to save everyone's base weapons or are they junk?

Not really. Weapon quality is limited based on rank (IIRC, B ranks are the highest you'll get in Warrior difficulty and those go up to level 15). As soon as you do Commander difficulty, you immediately get way better weapons.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Completing commander as optimus got me an A Rank Star Sabre which is rad to say the least, that a fixed thing or was it just luck of the draw?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I can't seem to get the reversal move to work. The description says to hold x y or lb after dodging to activate, but it doesn't seem to work. My guy just stands there. What am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

I can't seem to get the reversal move to work. The description says to hold x y or lb after dodging to activate, but it doesn't seem to work. My guy just stands there. What am I missing?

Hold the button right after you feel you got the dodge. If you're seeing blue and you're not holding it, it's too late.

• Locked thread