Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Well, more TINY peeks of other classic scream queens, even tv ones, like the actress Charisma Carpenter, who played Cordelia Chase in Buffy and Angel, would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Why did Ariana Grande's parents ask that the ?protagonists make sure she never comes home?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

the truth posted:

Why did Ariana Grande's parents ask that the ?protagonists make sure she never comes home?

She's an alcoholic, so they say. So if she's in danger because she's royally smashed, they want her to be safe but... yeah...

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Pan Dulce posted:

Well, more TINY peeks of other classic scream queens, even tv ones, like the actress Charisma Carpenter, who played Cordelia Chase in Buffy and Angel, would be nice.

if they can get any of the Mean Girls actors to make a cameo or two it would be great

at this point, it seems like Chanel No 5 (Abigail Breslin) is the weakest link, which isn't helped by her almost shockingly subpar acting. I was expecting her to go full ham villain but her performance make everything look like a small fit ready to be defused before tea.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm sold, I'm all in. I don't even know what's going on but I like it.

The music is ... interesting. I feel like my subconscious is making connections about the song choices that I'm missing on a conscious level.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

wormil posted:

I'm sold, I'm all in. I don't even know what's going on but I like it.

The music is ... interesting. I feel like my subconscious is making connections about the song choices that I'm missing on a conscious level.

I think I'm misinterpreting your post, but it's basically a funky mix of Carpenter-esque synth (paying tribute to the show's campy slasher roots) and 90s pop (which serves a thematic function based in how tied this whole mess is to the pledge who bled out giving birth because "Waterfalls" was the sorority's jam). I'm kind of shocked that the two blend together as well as they do.

Interesting fact: the series composer is Mac Quayle, last seen/heard burning it down on Mr. Robot alongside everyone else involved with the show.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

buddhanc posted:

I had no idea how amazing this show was gonna be. Absolutely hilarious.

Sidenote- I used to be really good friends with Glen Powell's sister and he was always a super awesome and funny dude.

The AV Club review of this episode pointed out that he's basically a stand-in for Parker Young (of Suburgatory/Enlisted fame) and it makes so much sense.

There's a definite Suburgatory feel to this show, almost as much as Glee. The Grace/Grace's Dad thing reminds me of the main character and her dad on Suburgatory, and Chanel No. 1 is very Dahlia-esque (all of the Chanels do. )

It owns, basically. I'm loving the Whodunit, I'm loving the dumb-hilarious humor, Jamie Lee Curtis is killing it, and it knows its horror movie poo poo.

edit: Also Diego Bonita ruined Rock of Ages and he's not great in this either.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 1, 2015

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

To be fair, Skyler Samuels is also a colossal turd in terms of acting and bringing down shows. She was on The Gates and The Nine Lives of Chloe King, both shows that died in one season and had HORRIBLE acting on her end. Not to mention the tragedy that was American Horror Story: Freak Show.

God, between Samuels and Bonita, they make the worst couple. I admit, I zone out on their scenes.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

oh poo poo, i completely forgot about Pete, the most boring barista with a murderous look on television

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

oh poo poo, i completely forgot about Pete, the most boring barista with a murderous look on television

Now, now, we all forgot about him.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

DivisionPost posted:

Now, now, we all forgot about him.

I would like to always forget about him until he unceremoniously dies in a future episode.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Finally watched the first episode and agree totally with this

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This show is real dumb but also fun.

It hits a perfect Heathers/Jawbreaker vibe which is probably present in other shows but Emma Roberts is killing it here.

Active666
Apr 3, 2009

Pan Dulce posted:

What the gently caress, how is spitroasting and eiffel-towering PG-14?

I was wondering the exact same thing, along with my favourite person Chad Radwell telling Chanel that she shaves her box in sexy way. They are pushing boundaries and I love it. Also loved Chad totally dismissing what Boone did.

So since Boone faked his death do we think he is one of the killers, the list of potential killers is pretty much the entire cast at this point right? Except for Chad Radwell given the Red Devil call out scene, unless of course there is more than 2 killers...

Though I was disappointed with Neckbrace becoming Rachel :(

Active666 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 1, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure it's going to turn out that EVERYONE is the killer :supaburn:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Active666 posted:

Though I was disappointed with Neckbrace becoming Rachel :(

They can't hide that Lea Michele is pretty, but the character is not Rachel Berry. Her unsteady walk and manic grin while walking down the stairs were like someone who is completely unhinged. Maybe pre-season one Rachel Berry before she got friends. At the very least it's a much different character than Jessica Lange ever had to play between seasons, which surprised me given how myopic Ryan Murphy has been with Lange.

I won't complain if/when she starts singing, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I expect Lea Michelle to be killed off at the exact moment she hits the high note in a stirring musical number.

Like I'm seriously pretty sure that is gonna happen

Active666
Apr 3, 2009

the truth posted:

They can't hide that Lea Michele is pretty, but the character is not Rachel Berry. Her unsteady walk and manic grin while walking down the stairs were like someone who is completely unhinged. Maybe pre-season one Rachel Berry before she got friends. At the very least it's a much different character than Jessica Lange ever had to play between seasons, which surprised me given how myopic Ryan Murphy has been with Lange.

I won't complain if/when she starts singing, though.

That's a very good point about her keeping in the Neckbrace character despite them making her over and making her pretty, and now that I think about could make her even better with all her darkness under the pretty shell.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Ryan Murphy has a great grip on pop culture tropes, but he is not that self-aware, unfortunately.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

precision posted:

I expect Lea Michelle to be killed off at the exact moment she hits the high note in a stirring musical number.

Like I'm seriously pretty sure that is gonna happen

She will not get a single note out. She will breathe in to sing and then she'll die.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Active666 posted:

I was wondering the exact same thing, along with my favourite person Chad Radwell telling Chanel that she shaves her box in sexy way. They are pushing boundaries and I love it. Also loved Chad totally dismissing what Boone did.

Maybe moving from 8 until 9 made the difference? The first episodes had quick humor, but I didn't remember any lines like those being in it. Also, Chanel No 1 calling the girls gashes.

I do think, though, that you can probably get a lot by censors by using nicknames for everything. I think I remember reading that the standards and practices people tend to be older, somewhat uptight folks. Maybe they just don't know what any of these terms mean.

Also it would pain me to know that NYPD Blue was airing when I was in high school but we still couldn't talk about being spit-roasted on TV in my late 30's.

Loving this show, and so far I've only gotten my sister hooked, but I'm trying to spread the word. I can never figure out what "points" and "shares" mean, so how have the ratings been?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

criscodisco posted:

I'm almost certain I read a thing a while back that she has in her contract or rider or whatever it's called that she cannot be filmed without the ponytail ever, and can only be photographed from one side, her "good side".

I don't know if that carries over to TV shows, but it sure seems to.

Also, it took until the lawnmower scene for me to realize that neckbrace is Lea Michele. I'm glad she was unrecognizable, because she played Rachel Berry for so long that I was starting to associate her personality with that character.

It's also nice to see the original scream queen doing anything but a diarrhea yogurt commercial.

This is a real thing that happened, but of course her camp denies it. Lady Gaga had a concert photo agreement where she would be co-copyright owner of every photograph taken at the show and her management has final say on what gets published. Taylor Swift had one where her management reserved the right to destroy photographers' equipment for violating the concert photographer agreement.

Diva poo poo isn't unexpected, I worked on a music video for Mariah Carey where (after flying an LA video crew to NYC then delaying filming for 2 days because of 'exhaustion') one of her lovely sycophant assistants made a PA shlep all the way uptown to replace a black rug in her green room with a white one before she'd even set foot on set, 6 hours after her call time. Then a few weeks later she melted down and divorced Nick Cannon :v:

I've worked on video/photoshoots for varying levels of movie/tv/music stars, and some are actually decent people while others are absolute sludge dumpster humans.

----

Back on track, I like that this show has set it up so almost every major character has a backstory that could make them the 1995 baby or the Red Devil Killer. I resisted watching but I'm sold after the Backstreet Boys streetfight.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I wasn't sure what to expect with this show, but I'm glad I DVR'd it - personally, I think it is the best show this season. The new stuff (so far) has been disappointing, and the returning stuff that I liked has ranged form meh to terrible (Sleepy Hollow, I'm looking at you.)

Buzkashi posted:

Chad is my favorite thing about this show, I can't imagine how much fun the actor is having portraying him.
Agreed. That guy is charismatic as hell.

"Are you going to touch my weiner or are you going to leave my weiner alone?"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dead Snoopy posted:

I've watched both and seriously, it didn't. Scream Queens embraces the hammy-ness and tropes of the material its playing up while the best Scream could do is echo the Kevin Williams formula while everybody save 2 actors (the nerd and the Bex Taylor whatever) are just horrible performance machines.

A better summary of Scream Queens is 'SCREAM mets HEATHERS'.

Popular on Heatheroids with a side of slasher.

aka the best formula for a Ryan Murphy show. This is great so far, and the best part is for once Murphy and the cast aren't winking at the camera which is perfect for this show.

That loving Chanel #2 death was just too good for me. Too drat good.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Ryan Murphy's gaping rear end in a top hat is always winking.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

the truth posted:

Ryan Murphy's gaping rear end in a top hat is always winking.

Well that wink is a given.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Chad proving he's still the best part of this drat show. Holy poo poo, between his scenes with Hester and the Chanel-o-ween intro, this episode was amazing too. By the way, the Matthew McConaughey impersonation was cloying and terrible.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
Calling it now, the baby's gender is going to be contested. I'm calling a Sleepaway Camp situation with the Kappa baby.

Denise Hemphill continues to be one of the greatest things about this show, I really hope she and Zayday make it through the next episode. Their back and forth is one of my favorite bits.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I was dying when Chad said he couldn't go to the cops because they'd know due to him rocking mad side pipe.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I laugh every time I see those earmuffs. I love that not word one has been said about them. I love that they're accessorized. I love that they're always always there.

The unremarked background stuff ("Days since a Kappa was murdered" sign; I'm pretty sure that all diagetic video has been classic horror films, the DDSs' clothes) is all amazing.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
This is a funny and good show. Denise Hemphill is amazing.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Is no one going to comment on that crazy "girl power" destruction of a frat boy after munching on cotton balls? That was insanely over-the-top, not necessary for what was dished out, but what a spectacle to watch!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Pan Dulce posted:

Is no one going to comment on that crazy "girl power" destruction of a frat boy after munching on cotton balls? That was insanely over-the-top, not necessary for what was dished out, but what a spectacle to watch!

I thought that was pretty over the top as well, but I assumed that it was appeasing some demographic that I was unaware of.

I'm calling it right now: the bathtub baby is Dean Munch, but she has progeria.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That intro was a pretty good take down on social media stars in general.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Pan Dulce posted:

Yeah I kept waiting for a punchline but it just kept going along straight-faced. Definitely a weird decision to include that.

Episode was great though, and I'm glad my prediction that Nasim was one of the 1995 sisters was right.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

criscodisco posted:

I'm calling it right now: the bathtub baby is Dean Munch, but she has progeria.

She was there immediately afterwards so no.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

TOOT BOOT posted:

She was there immediately afterwards so no.

I was totally not serious, just trying to jump the gun even ahead of Ryan Murphy. Meanwhile, that puddle of cat avatar you got is melting my heart.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I havetn' read the whole thread yet, I just watched the first episode so far so I figured I'd check out the thread up to what I've seen. Do you have to list all the killings in the first post? I mean really.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

ShakeZula posted:

Yeah I kept waiting for a punchline but it just kept going along straight-faced. Definitely a weird decision to include that.

No, that's a classic Glee move. "Well, this scene doesn't really have anything to do with the episode, but it's on my mind, so let's wedge that poo poo in there."

Something about setting it to Blondie made it so much better though.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

DivisionPost posted:

Something about setting it to Blondie made it so much better though.

The cafeteria beat-down was set to Belinda Carlisle.

Episode thoughts: Pete is still the worst. Chad is still the best. Hester has fully transmogrified into Obsessed-With-Death Rachel Berry.

Just realized we haven't seen Boone since the reveal that he faked his death (and is presumably one of the red devils now), and I'm pretty sure he didn't come up when they were rattling off the various deceased to date. Wonder if someone in the next ep is going to be like, "...What about Boone?" or if this is just RM being lazy and ignoring that the other characters would still think he's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

xeria posted:

The cafeteria beat-down was set to Belinda Carlisle.

Episode thoughts: Pete is still the worst. Chad is still the best. Hester has fully transmogrified into Obsessed-With-Death Rachel Berry.

Just realized we haven't seen Boone since the reveal that he faked his death (and is presumably one of the red devils now), and I'm pretty sure he didn't come up when they were rattling off the various deceased to date. Wonder if someone in the next ep is going to be like, "...What about Boone?" or if this is just RM being lazy and ignoring that the other characters would still think he's dead.

It was ruled a suicide and they're all horror-movie stupid, far as I can tell.

• Locked thread