Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

kaosdrachen posted:

Glad to hear it.

... Also, turns out it is possible to Fulton a moving vehicle drivers and all. It just needs very good timing.

Wait until you get high bond with the horse; (game mechanics only past this point) you can make it poo on command, and if a car or truck on a patrol hits the pile, they spin out, KOing the drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
Easier to just shoot one of the tires out; it stuns the driver and passengers for quite a while.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

what the hell is that

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

drkeiscool posted:

what the hell is that

Some sort of Macaque.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

LashLightning posted:

Some sort of Macaque.

But how does it taste?

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
After that intro I feel like a studio should just give Kojima money to direct some action movie already. He would do just as good a job as the Wachowskis. It would be cool if he had a movie that ended with some revolutionaries in America being hanged, like I think he intended to do for the end of MGS4. I would give him all my movie ticket and DVD money for sure.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sorry about the delay, the flu took my voice away.

Chapter 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coD3y0l1XYw

Fun fact: Konami didn't claim any of the prologue videos despite them being nearly pure cutscene, but was quick to claim the cutscene from 4:09 to 5:20

E: And they claimed twice, I guess that gives them double monetization rights or something

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

This game was unplayable for me due to a bug that made the prompt to strangle dude/CQC appear less than ten percent of the time. I don't know if it was just my copy or what, but it was wildly disappointing.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
I recently finished The Phantom Pain. You all better strap yourselves in for the ride.

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

This game was unplayable for me due to a bug that made the prompt to strangle dude/CQC appear less than ten percent of the time. I don't know if it was just my copy or what, but it was wildly disappointing.

How have you been trying to do CQC? There hasn't been any notice of a CQC bug in the game from players or Konami.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
It is in fact possible to hide and then evade the Skulls while remaining on D-Horse.

Hide under the bridge while on the horse, and the Skulls will go down the side path. When they're half-way, just ride out and over them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Med School posted:

After that intro I feel like a studio should just give Kojima money to direct some action movie already. He would do just as good a job as the Wachowskis. It would be cool if he had a movie that ended with some revolutionaries in America being hanged, like I think he intended to do for the end of MGS4. I would give him all my movie ticket and DVD money for sure.

Something I forgot to mention, I really like how some of the cutscenes (especially near the end of the prologue when they fall off the bridge and slowly walk up hill) is that its like there is an actual camera man around walking with the characters. In the scene where Snake scans the intel file in the last video, the camera man "snoops" around Snake.

I might be wrong but I think I read somewhere that Kojima wanted to direct a horror movie, which is why he did PT and honestly the intro kinda shows it with the psycho mantis kid using the helicopter to kill those soldiers.

Gideon020 posted:

It is in fact possible to hide and then evade the Skulls while remaining on D-Horse.

Hide under the bridge while on the horse, and the Skulls will go down the side path. When they're half-way, just ride out and over them.

Huh, maybe I never waited long enough.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Leal posted:

Huh, maybe I never waited long enough.

It's true, I stumbled into this because of assumptions about AI in general. "Clearly they will start walking forward when I get closer to them... Yup." Though I feel like I got lucky too because I was basically right next to them but they didn't look over when I came out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

With the intro and outro credits for every story mission, it's definitely framed like a television serial. I half expect the game to end zooming out to show a set and cameras.

Please don't anybody tell me if I'm right, this is pure silliness and confirmation would push it into spoilers.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I can confirm that this is indeed one big TV serial directed by Hideo Kojima as an allegory for Moby Dick but instead all the characters are in fire and it takes place within the 24 universe

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
The pro-est possible e-game stratagem to evade the Skulls here is to open up your iDroid and loving tell the helicopter to use another landing zone like a metagaming mastermind. The fog and skulls are tied to the one that Ocelot sends it to by default so they don't show up at the other ones.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Halman posted:

The pro-est possible e-game stratagem to evade the Skulls here is to open up your iDroid and loving tell the helicopter to use another landing zone like a metagaming mastermind. The fog and skulls are tied to the one that Ocelot sends it to by default so they don't show up at the other ones.

Pretty sure you can't do that the first time doing the mission.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Halman posted:

:staredog:

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Halman posted:

... That is loving devious.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

This game is fun, my roomie got it and I've been watching him play but holy poo poo that beginning takes too loving long. Still I'm interested to see what you do in it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Night10194 posted:

As Da_Higgs said, the specific plan to cause a major nuclear incident really takes it over the top of the usual Metal Gear Nuclear Deterrence Move.

Also, has anyone ever told Hideo Kojima what a nuclear submarine is? Because they do a Metal Gear's job and better.

Wasn't the point to demonstrate that humans would NOT fire nukes to retaliate, but that his super-cool robot with an AI based on a dead lady and built by her traumatised sorta-girlfriend would totally blow up the world if someone tried to use nukes? I mean it's a ridiculous plan, but it's internally consistent and not THAT crazy by MG standards.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gaz-L posted:

Wasn't the point to demonstrate that humans would NOT fire nukes to retaliate, but that his super-cool robot with an AI based on a dead lady and built by her traumatised sorta-girlfriend would totally blow up the world if someone tried to use nukes? I mean it's a ridiculous plan, but it's internally consistent and not THAT crazy by MG standards.

Except it totally fails and Snake has to talk the U.S. leaders out of retaliating.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

That's the best part about Peace Walker. They make a big deal about how humans will never launch into full-scale MAD, and we have this scene at the end where they're fingers-on-buttons ready to do exactly that. It sort of destroys the entire point of the crazy evil-guy plan in the game, proving how incredibly and utterly wrong they are... except we don't know that for sure. We get that tense, finger-on-button moment, but nobody ever actually pushes one. It's entirely possible that, despite all the bravado and talk about starting a MAD situation, the people with their fingers on the buttons could puss out despite the nuclear attack.

That's one thing about the entire Peace Walker initiative that I like. Humans in control over MAD is a Schrodinger's Cat conundrum that will never be explored because MGS will always have that "Narrowly avoiding the destruction of the world" badass hero moment for Snake. So Peace Walker would be a plot device that entirely removes that tense moment. If Snake were on the line with Peace Walker instead of another person, that nuke would already be on its way and ready to spark up the end of the world. Its existence isn't just a threat to the in-game world but also the fourth-wall plot device. Peace Walker on the other end of the "DON'T FIRE, IT'S A FAKE SIGNAL" call removes any ambiguity, it may as well be a glass box for Schrodinger's Cat.

bawk fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 5, 2015

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Delta Green posted:

... That is loving devious.

And completely appropriate, as far as I'm concerned. Feels like it's exactly the kind of meta game BS Kojima likes to encourage. Inhuman supersoldiers psychically know when and where you're going to leave, regardless of whether you get caught, and set up an ambush flanked by an invisible mission area wall? Fine, I'll just out-psychic them by going somewhere else instead. I love being able to play unfair gamey tricks on the AI just like it does to me.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

David Corbett posted:

And completely appropriate, as far as I'm concerned. Feels like it's exactly the kind of meta game BS Kojima likes to encourage. Inhuman supersoldiers psychically know when and where you're going to leave, regardless of whether you get caught, and set up an ambush flanked by an invisible mission area wall? Fine, I'll just out-psychic them by going somewhere else instead. I love being able to play unfair gamey tricks on the AI just like it does to me.

The power of Soldier Genes™

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Spudd posted:

This game is fun, my roomie got it and I've been watching him play but holy poo poo that beginning takes too loving long. Still I'm interested to see what you do in it.

I'm glad someone else said it but yes, holy poo poo. I'm willing to concede that mayyyybe it's more fun if you're actually playing it, and the whole Ishmael/Ahab 'third man' thing is actually really cool and clever, but that whole intro could've been done in half the time and still felt bloated. Everything was so drawn-out, so overdone, repetitious, and/or melodramatic... it's been said before, but Kojima really needs an editor, and the fact that now he insists on plastering his name over every individual chapter of his opus only makes his excesses seem that much more gratuitous.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ghost of Starman posted:

I'm glad someone else said it but yes, holy poo poo. I'm willing to concede that mayyyybe it's more fun if you're actually playing it, and the whole Ishmael/Ahab 'third man' thing is actually really cool and clever, but that whole intro could've been done in half the time and still felt bloated. Everything was so drawn-out, so overdone, repetitious, and/or melodramatic... it's been said before, but Kojima really needs an editor, and the fact that now he insists on plastering his name over every individual chapter of his opus only makes his excesses seem that much more gratuitous.

This is the case with everything Kojima makes and it's why I think he's a terrible writer.

I mean, I'm still entertained and enjoy following LP's of his games, but goddamn.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
If OP had gotten caught there would have been a pretty neat cutscene and then fleeing from those things on horseback.

Happened to me the first time I played before I discovered the hiding trick and drat, getting chased by superhuman killers was pretty loving intense and fun. Especially as I somehow moved fast enough that Pequod flew right over my head just as the mist cleared.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Regarding the walls: My method of attaching to them is just to run/crouchwalk straight into them for a bit until Boss presses up against it. Only solid walls work safely for this. Then I use left/right to move along it to the edge. Once the camera shifts a little, you can use right click [the "Ready weapon" button] to pop out and aim normally, and then if you want, F [first person view/binoculars/etc] to look down the iron sights.
Personally I only really use iron sights for sniper rifles or headshots on helmeted guys, though; the crosshair is usually adequately precise, in that once it goes red, that's a very likely hit.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:siren: Chapter 2 :siren:

Huge apologies goons for the huge delay here, poo poo happened*, but everything is looking up now. Unless life slings more poo poo my way updates should come at a weekly basis.

Today we arrive at Mother Base and discover the secrets of the cardboard box.

*for those who are interested, The store I was working at was shutting down. I did have 2 jobs, but the second job was a holdover from before I moved where I was promised a lot of territory but then my boss at the time stepped down. The second job barely gave me 2 hours a month if I was lucky and I mainly kept it cause I had a good amount of unemployment with it. So losing my now primary job was a big deal, I moved to the middle of loving nowhere and there is barely any jobs in town. Not only that but at the time my car needed to be smogged, I didn't think it would pass because of a leak in the head gasket and well if that failed I couldn't do anything for my second job so they could put me down as declining work if I tried to get unemployment after my primary job closed down, on top of not being able to look for work outside of town (which would be a 40 mile commitment, one way so gas would gently caress me over anyways.)

So yeah, poo poo was NOT going my way in the slightest. For a bit I thought I could handle it, and in fact I started this LP cause my first LP helped me when I was going through another hard time in distracting me. But this time it didn't work too well, as the days went on I was the one taking down all the shelving and fixtures in the store and it was hitting me: I was going to lose my job, I was taking down the thing that let me pay rent and buy food. I couldn't handle it, I would go to work with people constantly asking me what my plans were after we closed, not honestly caring about me or my coworkers losing our jobs, they just wanted the discounts and I would come home and cry myself to sleep every night. I couldn't bring myself to record any commentary despite having up to chapter 7 recorded, if I wasn't working I was crying and even then I would have to excuse myself at work to get my emotions straight.

However I did get lucky and managed to get another job and things are steadily improving.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Well now I feel even worse about almost-but-no-longer having to ban you in a week. Hope things continue to look up.

I never really got much use out of the Box in TPP. I guess I just don't play in a way that gels with it? That, or I just always chose some other one of the staggering array of options this game is always throwing at you. All of which said I love that boxes now come in a standing and crouching mode, and I love the new stuff they let you do with them, and especially this one other thing we might see later.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Glad to see this back.

Tommy_Blanco
Oct 29, 2011
Glad to hear things are getting better for you Leal.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fedule posted:

Well now I feel even worse about almost-but-no-longer having to ban you in a week. Hope things continue to look up.

The toxx was supposed to give me some extra drive but the upcoming job loss trumped my worries about losing my account :smith:

quote:

I never really got much use out of the Box in TPP. I guess I just don't play in a way that gels with it? That, or I just always chose some other one of the staggering array of options this game is always throwing at you. All of which said I love that boxes now come in a standing and crouching mode, and I love the new stuff they let you do with them, and especially this one other thing we might see later.

I'll try to show it off when I can (or at least show off some humorous dialogue about it) but yeah, I never found much use for the box. I think its a combination of how open the world is on top of how small urban areas are that there isn't much use for it.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

Leal posted:

The toxx was supposed to give me some extra drive but the upcoming job loss trumped my worries about losing my account :smith:

I'll try to show it off when I can (or at least show off some humorous dialogue about it) but yeah, I never found much use for the box. I think its a combination of how open the world is on top of how small urban areas are that there isn't much use for it.

The Box has one incredibly valuable use in certain side-ops, but otherwise yeah, it's not as useful as it was in previous games.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Leal posted:

Actually, the box is borderline broken when applied correctly. Basically, any time you're about to be discovered, just take out your box and you are either completely invisible, or you can CQC the guy.

There's also a really useful trick later involving the box.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:siren: Chapter 3 :siren:

Today we go through a tutorial disguised as a main mission and what should be a main mission disguised as a side mission. Also puppies :byodood:

Also I'm slowly filling the second post with info on the different characters. Its going slow cause trying to read each character's bio is like reading a novel. Its like I'm back at school trying to paraphrase stuff to whats relevant to this game. I also enjoy the spoilers the wikis put on each character's pages on the opening paragraphs.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

It's the little things that make this game great, like the translator being a dick to the other soldier.

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
Digging this - appreciate the cuts to filter out filler time walking to locations as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Ah yes, my archnemesis. Psychic Truck.

My other archnemesis is small rocks.

• Locked thread