Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
This show does a fantastic job of balancing the dark aspects inherent to the premise with the light, goofy comedy stemming from Brian and his personality and quirks. You can tell the people making this show are having a lot of fun.

Poor Boyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Shakugan posted:

This was one thing I wasn't too sure about with this episode. Morra's speech at the end implied this wasn't the case, since he implied he thinks Brian shouldn't worry about that so much. But clearly, Brian's psychological stability IS his desire to retain parts of his non-NZT self. It could all be a "trick" to have said that, but ehhhhh.

I think it is entirely within the realm of possibility that Morra and Sands are doing a long term good cop/bad cop act with Brian to see how he holds up to extended NZT use and if and when he starts to really change personality wise, or if he is able to resist the temptation after all.

I love how Rebecca and Ike became part of his internal conflict over who to trust, sweaters and all.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

VDay posted:

I like how they totally foreshadowed Rebecca figuring it out during the meeting scenes when Brian imagines that she'll put it together. He was totally right about her being smart enough to see a connection, he was just wrong about which connection she'd spot.

One of the great things about the characters and cast is they made the CJC full of highly skilled, competent professionals. Brian elevates what they can do by finding the remotest connections and processing inhumanly large amounts of data, but the show avoided the usual trap of making the supporting characters a bunch of morons who aren't able to function without the protagonist.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Idunno, there's Mike and Ike.

I mean, they're not shown to actually be incompetent, they just haven't really had a chance to be competent yet?

I'm sure they are quite competent given their backgrounds, but yeah, being on Brian duty isn't exactly on par with what Rebecca and Boyle are doing.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The reviews only seemed to touch on the generic fugitive / origin story of the pilot. The AV club review also indicated that they only watched one episode for their show review, so I think it's safe to assume that all CBS sent was the pilot.

So yeah, network misfire on this one, especially given how the second episode heavily showed the actual humor of the show pretty well.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Lost and BSG had amazing pilots (if you don't count the miniseries for the latter). Justified was good too. But yeah, many shows coast on the pilot and have a weak second episode then can pick up from there.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Honestly when I read the description I kinda wished it was a Criminal Minds crossover, but this worked so much better.

Not that I would have minded seeing that cast operate under the language substitutions we got in this episode.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The AV Club did a good interview with Craig Sweeny about adapting the movie property to a TV show.

http://www.avclub.com/article/how-do-you-turn-suspense-thriller-one-tvs-most-pla-231258

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
"Conclusive force" is a fantastic euphemism for killing someone.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Bollywood Mike and Ike were a highlight for sure.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Digital Jedi posted:

Oh well I'm still refusing to believe I heard it this time since I don't remember they did before.

That's OK too since Ike admitted that it was growing on him anyway.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sober posted:

Fox renewed Scream Queens which does fractional ratings (sub 1.0) so yeah, anything is fair game on Fox.

But yeah Limitless is kinda up in the air. It's like hovering around 1.1 to 1.3 depending on the week and I think loses quite a bit of their NCIS/something audience.

I would say pairing it with Elementary would make sense but neither show has the best ratings.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

odiv posted:

I stopped watching Person of Interest around the beginning of Season 3, I think. :(

The first two seasons were pretty good though.

Oh man, it gets so drat good in S3.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Generally I cut uninformed family characters in TV shows slack because honestly they provide necessary balance and contrast. Even if they aren't necessarily fun or are buzzkills it isn't really feasible for every TV protagonist to just have nobody looking in and saying "Wait, what the hell is all this?"

Also Brian is the son of Nina Sharp and Arvin Sloane so they get "I am so glad these actors I enjoyed in this other show I like" bonus points.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

After 17 episodes, yay they are going to do 2 episodes that arn't a crime fighting show!

What exactly were you expecting?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

You are a nerd posted:

Give Stavros his own Marvel Netflix show.

I love how they use the extras like Stavros and the IT guy. They don't need to be involved all the time but when you need someone to get recruited by a cult or lure underground medical practitioners, there they are!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
First parts of two parters are generally hit or miss, just depends on how they stick the landing.

I'm just mostly interested in how this all informs future seasons, because this is a huge change to the status quo. The NZT genie isn't just out of the bottle, it went on a world tour.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Limitless has been getting solid enough ratings that I wouldn't worry. They are just going to renew and cancel freshmen shows all in one announcement.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Confirmation it's being shopped. Maybe it was super expensive because gently caress if I know why else they would do this.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/limitless-being-shopping-894546

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I still have Elementary and NCIS:NO is a nice background diversion but otherwise I'm kinda done with CBS; no Limitless, no Person of Interest, no Good Wife. None of the new stuff sounds interesting to me.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Well, at least I was satisfied with the ending I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The ending was a nice wrap-up and it didn't seem like there was significant chance to think that it would be cancelled. Ratings weren't the best but they weren't dumpster material by any means.

• Locked thread