Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Holy poo poo the 22 Jump Street ending combined with that music was FANTASTIC. My cheeks hurt from grinning that wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Here's what I know. About an hour and a half ago I finished one of the most jaw-dropping, go-for-broke episodes that Agents of Shield has ever done, and I needed 20 minutes to recover from it. I was pretty sure Limitless wasn't going to top it.

An hour after finishing this one, I STILL can't stop thinking about it, for completely different reasons.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shakugan posted:

I wasn't, for a really cool reason. The reason Bryan didn't end up telling his dad previously was because he was scared what Sands was going to do if he did. But Morra basically convinced Bryan that he, and by extension Sands, are actually the good guys. I totally buy Bryan telling his dad as a direct result of now believing that Sands and Morra wouldn't actually hurt him. It was never explicitly mentioned, but it feels right thematically as a reason that Bryan changed his mind about telling him.

That may have been part of it, but his dad laying the guilt on him and assuring him he'd rather be hurt or dead than shut out -- that scene was amazing, by the way -- definitely pushed him over the edge.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

karrethuun posted:

Another hilarious episode, although I could do without the downer dad.

Holyshoot posted:

The dad needs to back off and let Brian do whatever he wants.

I can see how he might be a problem long term, but Ron Rifkin does such a great job of humanizing that Debbie Downer role. I mean, when you break it down from his perspective, what's happening to Brian is supremely hosed up, and statements like "No Dad, I totally know what I'm doing with this experimental drug" or "You don't get it, they only want me when I'm on NZT" are, you know, not helpful. But he sounds like he's grudgingly willing to let Brian do his thing for as long as he trusts Naz to protect him. And if/when Brian gets hurt (or, more likely, he discovers the long-term effects of NZT on everyone else), he's going to call down the thunder. And frankly, I'm not sure he'd be that good of a character if he didn't.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, PS, do me a favor, I can't screencap for poo poo. I need some images and maybe small gifs from Limitless in order to convince a Twitter friend to watch this show. YouTube clips would also be great if you somehow have them.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Dead Snoopy posted:

Despite my fear of being boo'd from this thread, I can't shake the feeling that a cross over w/ Elementary would be epic.

Craig Sweeny DID used to write for Elementary...

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shakugan posted:

I wish Casey had gotten away with the full stash.

Having someone also on NZT as an antagonist, but slowly running out of pills as they get worse and worse side effects could have been a fun arc.

Yeah, but it was also the expected arc, wasn't it? Depending on how things play out over the rest of the season, this might end up being the smartest play they could've made.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 16, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I like that I can think both Morra AND Piper are kind of crazy. We can probably agree that NZT is an absolute gamechanger on every level, right? So the worst we can assume about Morra's intentions for NZT control is that he's going to hold it for a select few he deems worthy, which potentially leads to a fascist society, where the few "worthy" pill-takers keep the many underfoot, outthinking them, manipulating them. Worst assumptions of Piper, though, is that she makes sure that EVERYBODY can get NZT, and I'm not sure that the world at large can handle that.

This is a loving situation that Brian's caught up in right now.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Kind of a brilliant, subtle satire of Criminal Minds and its ilk. There's a good character-based reason for the word replacement, but it also underlines how absurd our fascination with serial murder is.

Also, LOVED hearing the "Ding!" once again when we saw Brian at his Headquarters!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

VDay posted:

I don't even know if it was intentional, but I like the poke at general TV censorship in America with the idea that as long as no one says bad dirty words like gently caress, it's totally fine for children to watch TV shows about murder and rape.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if it was intentional, but this was too smooth to feel like they were actively looking to make a statement. This seemed like a perfect storm of understanding the parameters of the show, understanding its main character, being forced into a tried-and-true procedural plot by the large episode order, and having a cool idea for how Brian would cope with the stress of this unusual (for him) case. Any social commentary is a byproduct, and that's usually when it works best.

KatWithHands posted:

I want to worry about how they plan to keep this fresh, but I think I'll just live in the now, because the now is incredible :allears:

I figure they either gotta dig deeper and go bugfuck crazy with the premise, or just keep screwing around like they're doing. And if they do the latter, they can easily milk this for five years with few complaints if they put enough care into the overarching plot. But if they start really hanging their nuts out there like Community did by the end of season one? This could be something epic.

It's (barely) worth noting that when it first aired, I actually compared "Headquarters!" favorably to Community on Twitter. Turns out Doug Aarinokowski (who directed that episode and is the producing director of the series) happened upon it and was kind enough to star it for me. So at the very least, he's flattered by the comparison; I can't help but wonder if he'll be inspired to push everyone further.

I mean, I know if a Twitter rando told me I looked hot, I'd be totally inspired to hit the gym so I could look even hotter. So yeah, I totally made this show better you guys. You're welcome. :smug:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

raditts posted:

Yeah, but look at how Community ended up. You shouldn't wish that on anybody.

Why shouldn't I? If this show's going to decline the way most shows do, I'd rather it decline by going up its own rear end and reminding defiantly itself the whole way through instead of settle into mediocrity like Castle.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
A little behind, but Brian's gotta organize a Russian prison break with a single NZT pill?

Bring this episode on!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Did this air early in Canada?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
They also didn't renew Life in Pieces, which is a shoo-in. They're just waiting a little longer on the Freshmen; give it a minute.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
That was loving great.

That was just loving great.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shakugan posted:

To be this close to the end of the season with no word on renewal when so many other shows on the network have been renewed is an extremely worrying sign.

It is concerning, but none of the other new shows on CBS have been renewed either.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
gently caress that was good.

EDIT: Seriously you guys I wish I had more insight to offer or at least a different way to express how goddamn great that made me feel, but here we are and I have been found wanting.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
You know what makes this show amazing? The season 2 setup is Brian Finch assembling a squad to bust NZT rings. There's no big cliffhangers, there's no big mythology twist being teased, it's just the promise of Brian having a more equal partnership with the unit and not having to worry about any side effects, and a reminder that they love the cool little throwaway characters they came up with, AND IT ALL SOUNDS loving AWESOME. BRING IT. DO THE RIGHT THING CBS, YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT.

• Locked thread