Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'd definitely play again, but I agree about shorter days. It'd be fun with everyone as anonymous players. Meta-less mafia is interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I really enjoyed how free flowing the conversations were in chat.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Now that the proof of concept went well, I think Slack Mafia #2 will be a 16 player game with slightly more roles, but still probably open. I may even write flavor.

I think even with some notorious and disappointing lurkers in this roster, and the Scum being dastardly and killing the most active people, the post volume in this format was still above the average forum game (of late). I think the open setup helped make the game very much determined by player skill and player choice, and I felt it was pretty suspenseful throughout.

I think having the shitposting segregated to a separate channel was a big plus. I think having collaborative casebuilding in separate channels was also effective. Having a dedicated channel for votes allowed easy tracking of where the votes were even between manual votecounts, so not having Votefinder wasn't a big problem.

I struggled with the decision of whether or not to allow dead players to keep talking in the shitpost channel, but it ended up never being a problem game-wise. Mafia by necessity runs on an honor system anyway.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
I would love to run shorter days! I have always thought the general consensus in our community was that 48 hours was the absolute minimum time needed for people to play Mafia and "have a life". And after all, days can be as short as it takes to lynch a guy. Clustering activity near deadline is just sort of a bad habit. I'm curious about what you guys feel is the ideal length of a game Day? Would 24 hour days make you more or less likely to sign up for a game?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Sign me up for the next one of these

I mean wait don't sign me up, especially not as a secret player.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
In 24 hours, all channels will be archived... and deleted. Is this sad? I was able to export the whole slack as JSON files, whatever that is. Is the fact that the game isn't permanently available on SA to read later, or able to be referred to outsiders to spectate, a turnoff?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Lumpen posted:

the Scum being dastardly and killing the most active people

I had a Doctor read on Tomm. :(

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lumpen posted:

In 24 hours, all channels will be archived... and deleted. Is this sad? I was able to export the whole slack as JSON files, whatever that is. Is the fact that the game isn't permanently available on SA to read later, or able to be referred to outsiders to spectate, a turnoff?

I find reading and spectating games a lot of fun, and not being able to follow the experiment or read it afterwards is kind of a bummer!

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Podima posted:

I find reading and spectating games a lot of fun, and not being able to follow the experiment or read it afterwards is kind of a bummer!
~Oh man it was legendary you shoulda been there, man, if only you'd signed up.~

Hehe maybe it's a plus.

The next one will be entirely ~secret identities~ and I think I will cherrypick the roster to restrict known lurkers from participating. I was disappointed when 2 people replaced out, and a few people claimed to have forgotten about the game.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

chaoslord posted:

That's what I'm thinking.

So then the last remaining mystery folk was santasnow that taste ended up replacing

That was me. Considering my meta is p much replacing out of games, you guys should have known.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

That was me. Considering my meta is p much replacing out of games, you guys should have known.
Taste did a lot worse than you. I was very sorry to see you go.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I'm surprised that was possible. I was never around and didn't make any cases and didn't vote...

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Yes taste lurked but the game was still winnable in lylo.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Found the quote style and looking at past stuff a bit frustrating but enjoyed how compartmentalised u could make different cases etc, I got mafia'd pretty early but enjoyed sticking about as a ghost

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
This game was so much fun! Fun in that I could actually play in this format.

The separate threads are a huge plus as well.

Omg Cpig you rule.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

looks like everyone enjoyed it but me?

i guess let me put the cons since everyone is for slack mafia

it was tremendously stressful. because of the structure of a chat-room people would post many one-word one-liners and i'd come back to the game to 400 unread messages during slow times when no one started new chatrooms. maybe because i was trying to play on a phone the whole time it made it impossible? but yeah.

additionally, it's incredibly difficult to go back to anything someone in particular said. there's no pagination so you couldn't commit to memory when something important happened, just what.

and maybe this is me being inept but i couldn't color code people's text, so i couldn't contextualize what someone's personality was.

other than that it looks like it was honestly a good way to play mafia.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Lumpen posted:

Now that the proof of concept went well, I think Slack Mafia #2 will be a 16 player game with slightly more roles, but still probably open. I may even write flavor.

I think even with some notorious and disappointing lurkers in this roster, and the Scum being dastardly and killing the most active people, the post volume in this format was still above the average forum game (of late). I think the open setup helped make the game very much determined by player skill and player choice, and I felt it was pretty suspenseful throughout.

I think having the shitposting segregated to a separate channel was a big plus. I think having collaborative casebuilding in separate channels was also effective. Having a dedicated channel for votes allowed easy tracking of where the votes were even between manual votecounts, so not having Votefinder wasn't a big problem.

I struggled with the decision of whether or not to allow dead players to keep talking in the shitpost channel, but it ended up never being a problem game-wise. Mafia by necessity runs on an honor system anyway.
I really preferred this format. The forums are fine if you can sit on your computer throughout the day-- like when I was in school-- but when that isn't an option this format is WOW so much better.

Being able to turn on notifications based on whether I'd be able to respond, the separate channels, the flow of the conversation and ability to see who was around all added up to a game where I felt much more a part of. Having the votes in a separate channel made your overall opinions feel more important than just your previous case, and putting the gestalt first led to clearer communication about WHY people where voting who they were.

I only played on my phone, but like I said in the game, I use iOS with a 6+ size screen-- maybe Slack is optimized for iOS?

A game with separate case channels from the beginning might be easier to follow?

I want to play again!

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I played exclusively on my phone and once I got used to slack it worked great.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Magnus Gallant posted:

I played exclusively on my phone and once I got used to slack it worked great.
Yea there is a bit of a learning curve-- but once you figure out how to find a users posts and we started making the channels OMG the best.

Start another game soon! Next week is MEA I have a long weekend I will have lots of time to play!

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Ok I'm convinced. I will get Slack Mafia #2 going tomorrow! It will have to be tight though because I'm starting a 3-week vacation on the 24th, so that'll be a hard deadline on the game. This game took about a week though, so it should work out!

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Ernie. - that's exactly what I found difficult about it.

It might be a cool idea to try and get some scheduled time together for people to be around and chat.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It took me a few days to figure out how to pin to unread messages, but it was overall fun.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
My client automatically marker which messages were unread and did not unmark them as such until I actually scrolled to the top of the chain and read them.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
You can really tell who read the #tips-n-tricks channel and who didn't. :colbert:

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Slack Mafia #2 is up.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!
I'm really mad that I was gone that weekend. I think I could have fought the hit, but I just never made it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!
I even got the email saying that he'd called a hit, came up with a plan assuming people wouldn't lynch me until I had time to reply, and then never got to use it.

• Locked thread