Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I liked finland. They were quite nice and helpful, as long as you've kept your distance. Also they like to hide their houses in trees and bushes and that's always awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i used to hang out with a finnish goon and I learned thaat apparently they are in the one of the same time zones as the united states

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
The birthplace of death metal and loving up Russians. Whats not to like?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Rambling Robot posted:

That's Denmark.

Oh, oops. My bad.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Zoness posted:

i used to hang out with a finnish goon and I learned thaat apparently they are in the one of the same time zones as the united states
Huh? That would mean that germany and the us are only 1, 2 hours apart? Are you sure you didn't misunderstand them?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

The greatest mystery of our time.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
ok the joke was that some really cool finnish dudes keep really weird hours, and also it's cool that they don't have sun for part of the year

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

I never got finnish jokes. :(

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Most finns are fiskal conservatives.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
And here I thought America was the only country who has to deal with entitled immigrants

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
finland is like europe's america so the jokes on you lol

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Wipfmetz posted:

its probably your timing

Ultimo Hombre
Jul 26, 2015

Hobohemian posted:

How is Norway? They seem chill. Munch is cool.

Norway is amazing, stunningly beautiful and the people are super nice. The food wasn't horrible I did get to eat elk (moose) which was pretty good with lingonberries on it. The beer was nice, especially the Christmas beer. I would totally live there, but it is expensive.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Wipfmetz posted:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

so it sounds like i should move to finland

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

same

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

kikkelivelho posted:

A language so confusing Tolkien used it as a basis for his imaginary languages.

Cyborg Franky
Oct 9, 2007

finland.jpg

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

kikkelivelho posted:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yeah even the whole language is off in west field compared to german or french.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Everyone is always drunk and it's boring? That seems like a bit of a paradox. Do they drink alone or something?

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el93MIxAf-c

official thread theme

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Complaining about cold when it's been unusually warm September here, lol. January would loving kill them.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

finns fought against the russians before WWII owning them really bad but then fought with the nazis in WWII.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was in Finland for 5 weeks, 2 for work, 3 for pleasure, and I loving loved the place.

Everything just works, public services are great, people are friendly-ish to dumb foreigners, and everyone generally keeps to themselves.

Property is cheap, you get loads of space, and traffic jams outside of Helsinki are almost non-existent. When we pull up to traffic lights and there is more than one car in front of us, my host would say "oh great, traffic jam".

Those refugees are idiots.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

spud posted:

I was in Finland for 5 weeks, 2 for work, 3 for pleasure, and I loving loved the place.

Everything just works, public services are great, people are friendly-ish to dumb foreigners, and everyone generally keeps to themselves.

Property is cheap, you get loads of space, and traffic jams outside of Helsinki are almost non-existent. When we pull up to traffic lights and there is more than one car in front of us, my host would say "oh great, traffic jam".

Those refugees are idiots.

this guy gets it. :finland:

the women are loving smoking hot also

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

spud posted:

a frozen hellscape with tiny population has no traffic jams and cheap land surprise surprise

but the refugees are the idiots :jerkbag:

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blue Train posted:

a frozen hellscape with tiny population has no traffic jams and cheap land surprise surprise

but the refugees are the idiots :jerkbag:

It is the total opposite of England, so yes, that sounds like paradise to me.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

spud posted:

It is the total opposite of England, so yes, that sounds like paradise to me.

opposite day all the way down to attractive well educated women

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

This man gets it.

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010

etalian posted:

Maybe that's why the muslims didn't like it?

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Yes, I am a war refugee with nothing but the clothes on my back, but unless you give me free housing on a tropical beach, I can probably find another *better* country to be a refugee in, if you catch my drift. You don't want to be known as the country that's such poo poo that nobody wants to seek refuge in you, do you? Do you?

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
finland is apparently the blondest country on the planet

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Here's a 2 minute guide to finnish culture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci8IoKkHrjY

e: may include naked men

kikkelivelho fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 25, 2015

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lorn Wayne posted:

finland is apparently the blondest country on the planet

* Rubs Hands Together *

Goon charms, engage!

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

etalian posted:

Yeah even the whole language is off in west field compared to german or french.

that's because it's not even an indo european language

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009
I saw a really good Finnish horror movie called Sauna

80% of what I know about Finland I learned from watching that movie

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm an American who moved to Finland, it is good. I revel in the cold and darkness. I have learned to feel nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Pon de Bundy posted:

hallo i am fiiniis pleased to meeet uuu

*dies in a sauna drunk*
Ah... a natural death.

Zoness posted:

Finns will absolutely tell you random real sounding "facts" because they can get away with it and because it's "huumor"

• Locked thread