Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, there is a lot of 'nature' in Finland, however most of it is just endless identical tree farms planted for forest industry that modern-day Finns mistake for actual biodiversity. Sure, there are a few national parks here and there but mostly Finnish nature is pretty boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Naxuz posted:

Yeah, there is a lot of 'nature' in Finland, however most of it is just endless identical tree farms planted for forest industry that modern-day Finns mistake for actual biodiversity. Sure, there are a few national parks here and there but mostly Finnish nature is pretty boring.

boring compared to what, exactly?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

boring compared to what, exactly?

I dunno, actual diversity? You have to be a true Finn to actually appreciate the interesting endless swathes of identical pine trees, I guess. I like the lakes, though.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Naxuz posted:

I dunno, actual diversity? You have to be a true Finn to actually appreciate the interesting endless swathes of identical pine trees, I guess. I like the lakes, though.

you'd have to travel pretty far from civilization to find actual diversity nowadays.

i visit rovaniemi and oulu frequently, both have untouched forest/nature within reasonable driving distance. i'm aware of the difference, but sadly this is the world we live in. not much untouched forest left in the whole of europe. i still enjoy the park-like forests of the south well enough and go camping frequently.

i did a bit of research and apparently 5% of the lower 48 states is classified as untouched wilderness, about the same as finland.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 26, 2015

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Finnish nature is fantastic, it is my job, I am happy with it. I do miss mountains though.

Allemansrätt bish.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Unspoiled nature is a perk of only 75 people living there.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
also free mushrooms & blueberries as much as you have time to pick, gently caress yeah

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Free Market Mambo posted:

Allemansrätt bish.

i can't imagine living in some hosed up place that doesn't have this

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Spoiling wilderness is hard work. These beer bottles don't smash themselves

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
For real, show a Nordic dude a sampling of any Croatian beach/roadside and watch him get all Iron Eyes Cody.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Free Market Mambo posted:

For real, show a Nordic dude a sampling of any Croatian beach/roadside and watch him get all Iron Eyes Cody.

i visited croatia last summer, you had to always stay on marked paths because there's landmines everywhere.

also i actually do prefer our coast / islands to theirs, altho i would change our seawater to theirs anytime.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Correction: show a Nordic guy Croatia and he'll go all Leaning Bull

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I took a bunch of Swedes and Finns there and had the landmine chat too. I like Bosnia even more. Mo' mines mo' fun.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
croatians apparently love to litter, too. way too dirty for a tidy finn such as myself

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I am surrounded by it. It's pretty dull.

When I say that it's dull most of the time, I mean that you have to work to appreciate it.

youre right, going outside is hard

say what you will about the backwards sadbrain alcoholic xenophobes inhabiting the country but its actually very pretty. Its easy to dismiss as dull if youve lived there youre whole life but thats just a lack of perspective imo

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

goons posted:

nature is boring

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

goatse.cx haver posted:

say what you will about the backwards sadbrain alcoholic xenophobes inhabiting the country but its actually very pretty. Its easy to dismiss as dull if youve lived there youre whole life but thats just a lack of perspective imo

nothing but a rainforest will do

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

d... dad?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Seems like sweden is pretty boggy and boring as well: http://www.thelocal.se/20151026/refugees-refuse-beds-at-swedish-holiday-home

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao

"We were coming to an area in the middle of the forest we know nothing about, just snow and wind and nothing else," Esam Taha, one of the Syrian refugees aboard the bus recently told The Local.

They why did you go to Sweden?

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

I like being in nature variety or not, easier to breathe. But that's just because I'm a BOGMAN.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Stop processing applications for everyone who complains about lodgings and ship them back out. Expedites a lot of things and is cheaper in the long run.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Charlotte Jacobsson, a press spokesperson for Sweden's Migration Board (Migrationsverket) confirmed to The Local that a number of the asylum seekers had felt uncomfortable being surrounded by so much forest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sa33wlTPrQ

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

*Flees war torn country with hazards such as barrel bombs, paramilitary death squads and chlorine gas*

*I want a apartment in the city center!*

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

lol at those "refugees"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sweden's Migration Board said last week that the total number of refugee arrivals in 2015 could reach 190,000.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

etalian posted:

Sweden's Migration Board said last week that the total number of refugee arrivals in 2015 could reach 190,000.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
We do our part to help our fellow man, to help those in need. Our beautiful country will shelter you and feed you and protect you from the horrors of war. Welcome to the greatest nation on earth, friends

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zzulu posted:

We do our part to help our fellow man, to help those in need. Our beautiful country will shelter you and feed you and protect you from the horrors of war. Welcome to the greatest nation on earth, friends

The immigrants refused to leave the bus until the swedes sent a representative

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Norway has been very generous and taken in thousands of swedes as economic refugees over the last years, so if it all goes to heck im sure we can build some camps and take in some more

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Welcome to muslim sweden finns.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Next they will be complaining about lutefisk being bland and horrible

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

goatse.cx haver posted:

I never said that I didn't appreciate it :shrug: dull things can be good too

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

a template for making the hottest Finnio-Ugric memes!!!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

A Handed Missus posted:

ahahaha

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A Handed Missus posted:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Are finns any good with the composite bow?

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Bog-Finns according to goons:

Bog-Finns in reality:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

DeepQantas posted:

Bog-Finns according to goons:

Bog-Finns in reality:

first picture kinda looks cool whats that from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Zzulu posted:

i am refugee from united states and would like free bed and breakfast

• Locked thread