Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Naxuz posted:

Someone from Denmark once explained to me that Nordic relations are about everyone else hating the Swedes. The Swedes, being so drat aloof and sure of their superiority, actually believe that their neighbours love them and thus they have the civilizing mission of making the life of their neighbours better by being Super Lovable and... Swedish. When any other Nordic team loses out in any team sport, their fans automatically switch their support to any team that can make sure that Sweden loses out. When Sweden gets dropped, their fans switch their support... to any other Nordic team that has a shot at the gold. It's dysfunctional relationships at their best.

Basically Swedes are the Mormons of the Nordic, Finland is Wisconsin but with Minnesota weather. Denmark, being super racist, is Arizona with better beer and Norway... Norwegians are crazy Scots.

Denmark is Arizona? Was it this person from Denmark who told you that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

LordArgh posted:

and the icelandics where basically norwegians at the time, so therefore we have the claim to canada. please hand it over

Not true! Native Icelanders tend to have a Celtic matrilineal heritage and Norse patrilineal.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Nauta posted:

goons are literally retards for using the word literally

How loving long did you have to look to find that one?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Zzulu posted:

this kind of goes for all of scandinavia:

It doesn't snow that much in Denmark.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Son of Rodney posted:

its a very pretty country and the people are very nice if youre not a foreigner (they're pretty racists in general) but it all looks the same and like I said is so completely boring. The only cool thing in denmark was hippy city christiania and that's gone now.

Ha ha, Christiania's not going anywhere. It's a huge tourist attraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Game of thrones pretty unabashedly takes from European history. If this is how Finland sits in Europe, its counterpart in Game of Thrones is pretty clear.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Crannogmen

quote:

Hardy and reclusive swamp-dwellers, the crannogmen are derisively referred to by outsiders as "mudmen" and "frog-eaters". They are a poor people, mostly subsisting on fishing and frogging, as well as eating any game they can hunt. By the standards of some of their neighbors their culture is somewhat primitive, but they are very woodcrafty, with great knowledge of their terrain as well as of poisons made by local plants and animals in the swamps, which they often coat their weapons with.

Due to their self-imposed isolation, the crannogmen culture remains mostly unchanged since the time of the First Men, before the Andal Invasion six thousand years ago (though they have learned the Common Tongue imposed on the continent by the Andals). Like their Northmen cousins, they still worship the Old Gods of the Forest, maintain a close connection to nature, and were rumored to be close to the Children of the Forest in past millennia.

In other respects, the crannogmen are something of a unique hybrid culture between what is normally found in the North and the kingdoms of southern Westeros. As the southernmost region of the North, the climate of their home is not as cold and desolate as most of the rest of the North, but is instead humid, swampy, and overgrown with fish and game. The surroundings of their home thus shaped their way of life to be quite different from that of their cousins in the main parts the North.

The crannogmen do not march into open battle, and if invaded rely on retreating their crannogs deeper into the swamps. The crannogmen will then use guerrilla tactics, poisoned arrows, and their superior knowledge of the difficult swampy terrain to bleed the invaders through attrition. For ten thousand years, the crannogmen have proven to be very difficult to conquer, though otherwise they usually seclude themselves in their swamps and do not trouble outsiders. They are embroiled in a centuries-old feud with House Frey, whose lands directly border their swamps (whose limit forms the border between the North and the Riverlands), as the Freys often try to encroach on the lands of the crannogmen.

• Locked thread