Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Did someone paste what Tacitus wrote about the finns back in the day yet? It's pretty hilarious:

code:
 ''In wonderful savageness live the nation of the Fennians, and in beastly
  poverty, destitute of arms, of horses, and of homes; their food, the common herbs; their
  apparel, skins; their bed, the earth; their only hope in their arrows, which for want of
  iron they point with bones. Their common support they have from the chase, women as well as
  men; for with these the former wander up and down, and crave a portion of the prey. Nor
  other shelter have they even for their babes, against the violence of tempests and ravening
  beasts, than to cover them with the branches of trees twisted together; this a reception
  for the old men, and hither resort the young. Such a condition they judge more happy than
  the painful occupation of cultivating the ground, than the labour of rearing houses, than
  the agitations of hope and fear attending the defence of their own property or the seizing
  that of others. Secure against the designs of men, secure against the malignity of the
  Gods, they have accomplished a thing of infinite difficulty; that to them nothing remains
  even to be wished.'' 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

poopzilla posted:

They most certainly do not hate americans as half the loving country came here after the winter war and ww2, my family included. They hate the crazy bullshit america they see from fox news and tmz.

Also what the hell is this bullshit. The crazy migration to the US was in the mid 19th century. The amounts that trickled out post ww2 aren't even a blip on the radar. :argh: Learn your drat history.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I uh, ah. Mm yes. I think uh. refugees are... bad.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

:swoon: I want him to hold me in his arms and tell me everything is going to be ok.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quakster posted:

it's nice and post-apocalyptic, here in vantaa

Only in the sense that you'll probably develop some interesting mutations if you eat fish from vantaankoski.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

quakster posted:

*checks wikipedia* "15000 litres of detergent released into the water in 1995"

why do people even build factories anywhere near water, i don't get it

I don't know if you're asking in earnest or not, but historically shipping things via rivers was the most efficient way to move product. Also a lot of plants ran on water power.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Gin posted:

i actually like finland. i've been there twice. ate reindeer and bear and elk and arctic brambleberry icecream.

the dude at the zoo let me in for free because it was -18C and nobody else had come the entire day

Just to poo poo on the finnish myths or whatever no one actually eats bear. Elk is fairly rare. Reindeer is sometimes eaten but it's mostly really rare as food outside of lapland. I have the other two now and then, but I've only eaten bear once in my life and it was at a super fancy russian restaurant.

e: So basically tourists shovel that poo poo down but no one actually living in finland does. Elk and Reindeer, sometimes.

I mean poronkäristys is great and all but I challenge any finns in the thread living south of Oulu to claim they have that poo poo at any regularity.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 20, 2015

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Gin posted:

yeah the bear was at a russian place in helsinki

the elk and reindeer were delicious and i would never imagine they were staples in the finnish diet. i ate them at pretty nice restaurants.

i'm just trying to say some positive things about the bog people so the swedes stop getting so pissy in the finland thread

Reindeer meat has a pretty weird uriney flavor to it which takes a bit to get accustomed to. It makes for some mean-rear end potato casserole stuff though. I think the main reason people don't eat it down south is that it's somewhat expensive down here.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Stop processing applications for everyone who complains about lodgings and ship them back out. Expedites a lot of things and is cheaper in the long run.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Frostwerks posted:

norway excels at sports you tard and is a much stronger performer at the winter olympics than your bad country. they're not so good at hockey because the geography isn't conducive to the conditions that produce good hockey players. namely small shallow lakes that when froze make for the smooth ice thats ideal for skating. because it's mountainous rather than mostly flat, the glaciers gouged out ancient river-valleys and made fjords rather than the billion dwarf lakes that dot most of the major hockey playing countries. 5 of the big six have at least significant chunks of the country like this. canada, finland, coastal and southern sweden, midwestern United States (minnesota is aptly called land of 10k lakes for a good reason and wisconsin and michigan are very close) and russia all have a shitton of babby lakes. the odd men out are the czechs and ill be straight up and down with you i have no clue what the gently caress is going on with them. in any case, people get good at poo poo because of practice and it's hard to loving practice something if the conditions do not permit it. This is in no small part why african nations basically never have a strong showing at the winter games in any event. also they're lousy at swimming sports because it's loving suicidal to go swimming in african lakes and rivers and they're lacking in the physical and institutional infrastructure to produce capable competitive swimmers

I didn't read this but laf at getting invested enough in sports to write all that garbage.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dyna Soar posted:

we're doing the very same. lots of racially motivated attacks here on regugee centers lately. also neofaschists have infiltrated the goverment under banner of the true finns and the press keeps silent because they basically attack everyone who critisizes them

What is this half-assed poo poo? We need to start killing and eating refugees.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mange Mite posted:

i looked this up and apparently not only does it look like diarrhea, it actually gives you diarrhea

its like coors light but for poo poo instead of piss

Unlike diarrhea however it's delicious.

e: also unlike coors light

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

Åland is nice. So is Öland

Man we have some lovely names for things

Should rename it to Ölland to trick finns. The tourism would go up by 10,000% in a year

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

zen death robot posted:

Just a fair warning so you guys can maybe edit your posts but rubber dicks aren't really work safe. Because they still look like dicks. :ughh:

Every Finn works at a rubber dick plant. It's a harsh life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kehveli posted:

My back gave out while playing poker of all things, so Ive been in the hospital for around 5h now, having arrived in an ambulance. It's not a big emergency or anything but its painful as poo poo. Its a real quiet night so the nurses and docs come chat a lot with me whenever they have time. My kid and his generation will probably be hosed with getting good healthcare, but for now Id rather be here than living with ISIS. Soz for the pointless post but im bored in a hospital bed

Back problems are the worst. Stay safe fellow bog-ghost.

• Locked thread