Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
  • Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018




Carrow, the Low Town

It has only been a short time since you gathered. Carrow is easily the safest place you could have gathered - far from any of your lands, with nothing of value, founded solely to provide a traveler's haven on a long trade route. There are no scholars here, no libraries, no books. The Betrayer has never set foot in Carrow - it's simply not a place of importance. Little goes on there that the world might ever notice. It is a way station, and nothing more.

Perfect, then, for the most dangerous gathering the world could ever have. You are the last great hope to return the light of knowledge and wisdom to the world, before all is lost. The mountains rise to either side of the great valley in which Carrow is nestled. The road heads up into the mountains to the north, and then east, towards the Red Nef and the rivers beyond it. The people of Carrow are simple folk, farmers and peddlers, who make their living off travelers like you - and unlike you, as well. Here, all are welcome, with few questions, so long as they're just passing through.

All of you have felt the bite of Varethax's cruelties. He may not conquer and rule, but he does not need to, to leave terrible scars on the world and its people. You have been given a meeting room in the Traveler's Rest, the local inn. The locals are curious, hanging about, but it shouldn't be too dangerous - by the time the agents of Varethax pass through here, you'll be long gone. While the Nefsmen are avid gossips, they're no fonder of Varethax than anyone else - they won't give your plans away unless there's something in it for them. As for those gathered...well. These people are new to you, this 'fellowship', but you all know you areh ere for one purpose: to save your world.

The first question, of course, is how?

I have no idea who gathered you all. Perhaps one of you knows. But you are here now, some with delegations or friends, some alone. And you must decide - where are you going to go first, and how will you begin your quest to brign down Varethax the Betrayer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.


Not really sure what I'm doing here. Let's give this a shot.

Talthe and Pearl

In the Traveller's Rest, Talthe and Pearl are seated on cushions at the low table. The meeting room is lit by flickering candles, casting dancing shadows of each of the Fellowship across the walls. The two Merfolk have done their best to not stand out. They wear robes that hide their bodies and hoods to likewise help cover their features, but the clothing can only do so much. The lack of noses and wide mouths can't quite be hidden, nor can the shark-like rows of sharp teeth.

"Well," Pearl comments quietly, staring down into his drink - the house special. "We have an idea of where to start." His long spear is resting against the wall, against a sconce.

Talthe gives a short nod, and leans forward, tapping a claw on the table. Despite the room being occupied just by the Fellowship, he lowers his voice. "We've found one. One of Varethax's fonts of power. We don't know how it works, or how he uses it, but we know where it is," he whispers, his dark eyes sparkling.

"Best not to ask us how," Pearl adds, tipping back the house brew and giving a bit of a grimace at the taste. "We should figure out how to use it. Or if we can't, destroy it. In the forest west of here, in the shadow of Mount Celtha, there is a clearing. Inside the clearing are a ring of menhirs. It's one of those menhirs that apparently is of great importance to Varethax.

"How a stone can be tapped for power is beyond me. Us," Talthe adds, glancing to his brother. "Do any of you have any ideas?" Despite addressing the crowd, both pair of elf eyes flick towards Karr.

Neopie
Feb 28, 2014

Something something cinnamon bun


Stats: Wisdom +2(), Grace -1(), Sense +2(), Blood +1(), Courage 0()

It was the day, finally. In my travels, I had found many people. First, I found Raliin of the Orcs. He was the one who introduce me to the world of the above, and a fast friend. As I met his people, I saw the damage the Quencher had brought to his land, as he had brought it to mine. From his people, I learned their art of weapon crafting, and the traditions of the Above. When I looked for a companion to take on my journey, I found that Raliin had already intended to set out on a journey of his own, for much the same purposes- to find the end of the Quencher, wherever that may lie. And so we set out together, simply. As we wandered the overworld, looking for others to take with us, we met many in our travels.

Amir The Ram. Powerful, robust. Strong, both physically and headstrong. A man with no patience, no cunning, but a man who would still be a useful friend to have. One day, like I, he will rule his people. And I do not know if he will be fit for it. I suppose I must... attempt to teach him. Nevertheless, he agreed to meet us, at this spot, and bring several companions of his own.

Talthe Coral-Born. One of the Merfolk, who live in the seas. IT is not their fault that their lands have been weaponized against us, no. As much as my first instinct was to shun them, I know this. No. Talthe is fine, as is his people.. Though he is only half of his people. I do not know where he comes from, where his mother or father or whichever hails from, but he and his relative are both not entirely of the sea. He confided this to me in private, and I have no intention of sharing it- no, Talthe? I respect him. He is young, for his people and for mine. And he is a fine person. A receptive student, I invited him to this gathering- I want him with me. His skills are an asset, his mind is sharp, and I rather like him. A perfect fit, all said and done.

Then there's Karr. One of the Overlord's people- I initially drew my sword on him, but no. His people no longer serve the overlord, and neither does he. One of the merfolk, supposedly, his scales tattooed as if to be the skin of the.. I cannot remember what they are called. Like the Overlord. A master of magic I could not even begin to understand. Dangerous . But useful. He'll have inside information, and his spells are something I would have no ability to access, otherwise. So I invited him along.

Honestly, though, I'm more interested in his little friend. Hanna bara Hanna. She almost tripped over herself to accommodate me when I met her. And I could see that she's smart- quick to think and quick to act. Plus, she is just the absolute cutest thing I have ever seen. I don't really want to bring a child along, but she's with Karr, and she has her own useful skills. So I can't mind that much.

And then there's Miha and Ilya. If we needed enthusiasm for this journey, Miha brought enough for everyone. Her companion is mute, and I'm not honestly sure what they're doing, but... I invited them to the meeting anyways. They seem interesting, if nothing else. I hope they don't get lost....

So here I sit, in this simple tavern. I have no drink, as I need my wits about me at the moment. Even if I do rather enjoy this human 'booze'. No. Now is a time to talk. To plan, to see. My guests should be here soon. I can't wait. Together, we shall rise, and strike at the heart of the Betrayer's power. Together, we shall save this place!

So I sit. So I wait. A smile creeps across my face. Today is the day that the world starts getting better.

Neopie fucked around with this message at Sep 26, 2015 around 00:18

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009


MAGE CURES PLOT


Harbinger
DOOM: +2 [ ], Blood: +2 [ ], Courage: +0 [ ], Grace: +0 [ ], Sense: +1 [ ], Wisdom: -1 [ ]

I find myself at rest on the outside of this gathering. I'm nursing a drink from one of my collected bottles of rare liquors, luckily the bottles are charmed to refill when they're used, a minor working of the Art. It's not exactly nourishing, but good for the soul.

I let the conversation pass over me as I hum an old nomad's traveling song to myself.

quote:

"Do any of you have any ideas?"
It takes me a moment to notice the lull in conversation, and the eyes on me.

I lean forward, placing my cup on the scuffed table.
"Stones...hmmm, all objects are merely patterns built up of sigils taken from The Word*. Theoretically any object could be so used to store vital energies for a practitioner to access at a later time. If I had occasion to study the stones in question, I believe I might intuit the methodology by which they function."






*Working magic is literally just adding, subtracting, or altering words from the sigil-patterns that make up everyone and everything in the world. Say I put the magic word for 'fire' on someone's pattern, they will literally burst into flames; or put the word for 'passage' onto a wall, a door opens up etc.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!



Blood: +2 Courage:+2 Grace:-1 Sense:+1 Wisdom:+0

Raliin has removed the hood upon reaching the meeting room; while orcs are not so uncommon in Carrow as to arouse suspiction, he still give as little material to indentify himself to any eventual spies of the Betrayer that might be in the hamlet. He listens intently to the conversation, arms crossed against his chest, and his eyes just barely shrink as he listens to the elf's words. It is awfully convenient that he has such information on our enemy...

But no, that kind of thinking is going to get them nowhere. If the Betrayer already knew about them, he could have simply had his servants march into the tavern and put it to the torch. Not trusting the elf now might have destroyed this... this fellowship they are putting together before it is even properly born.

"Isn't that a great stroke of luck." he manages to keep most of the sarcasm out of his voice. "A shame you do not know anything else about this menhir, Coral-Born. Are you certain that your sources are... trustworthy?"

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature



Iron +2 Blood +2 Courage +1 Grace +1 Sense +0 Wisdom -1

A large man walks through the door of the tavern, lowering his head to avoid hitting the woodwork. His most distinctive feature is a bulky round shield he carries strapped to his back. Combined with the seemingly ancient heavy armor, this man looks like a biped tortoise made of granite. Surely this strong warrior dressed for battle is Lord Amir, the Ram.

After the man, in walks a woman, taller than him. Two curved blades adorn her waist and, while the man's armor is bulky and stony, she is wearing lighter garment her clothes are a patchwork of coral, furs, and scales. She is lighter on her feet, and her every move resembles that of a predator. Of course, she must be Lord Amir, the confident warrior, the hunter.

But the third Dwarf to enter the room is the most impressive of all. He's a head taller than both of them, and hasn't bothered with armor, or even a shirt, at all. His muscles glisten and seem denser than the first man's armor plates. His skin is the color of bronze it is completely free of blemishes, except for one thin scar along his left arm.

Amir, the Ram, King of Dwarves, greets the gathered fellowship.

(...)

The meeting is underway. Amir lounges comfortably in a chair that's much too small for him. His bodyguards lean on the wall behind their lord, silent and sulky. Mauve, the hunter woman, drinks something unrecognizable from an opaque cup. Ferric, the armored man, drinks milk. Amir is enjoying the traditional mead of the house.

Error 404 posted:

"Stones...hmmm, all objects are merely patterns built up of sigils taken from The Word. Theoretically any object could be so used to store vital energies for a practitioner to access at a later time. If I had occasion to study the stones in question, I believe I might intuit the methodology by which they function."

"If the what is known, and the where is known, what purpose is there in wasting time with the why?"

Amir then turns to Talthe. "If this truly is a treasure of the Book-Burner's, surely he must have placed guardians and wards around it."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009


MAGE CURES PLOT


Harbinger
DOOM: +2 [ ], Blood: +2 [ ], Courage: +0 [ ], Grace: +0 [ ], Sense: +1 [ ], Wisdom: -1 [ ]

"The Why, friend dwarf, is often the most critical of questions to ask, else one learns nothing and gains less.
Learning why the enemy chose these stones above all others can give us a glimpse into: his motive, allowing prediction of future action. Or his method, allowing us to subvert them and use his strengths against him.
Not everyone is quite so eager as you to die in glorious battle."

I refill my cup, illosian apple whiskey this time, and resume sipping.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.



Talthe and Pearl

Pearl looks to Raliin with a distinct expression of distaste, but takes another drink in lieu of responding.

Talthe instinctively reaches to his pocket as he regards the Orc. "Old oaths prevent me from speaking more about the source, though it's as reliable as anything else we will find, my friend. But as Lord Amir said, it will no doubt be guarded in some manner and will be dangerous. Will you be up to it?"

IPlayVideoGames fucked around with this message at Sep 26, 2015 around 22:22

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature



Amir, the Ram
Iron +2 Blood +2 Courage +1 Grace +1 Sense +0 Wisdom -1

Amir lets out a hearty laugh, and slams his big wooden cup on the table in a quite friendly way.

"I have no intention to die in battle, Wizard! Dying is a fool's errand. My friend Orc, my own ancestors will vouch for the honor of the Seaborn, and I myself shall vouch for the honor of this one!"

He takes a sip.

"There is an ancient Dwarven saying: those whose beards are free of knots, may they strike the first blow. Every person in this room, I'm sure, has seen and done things to knot even the smoothest beard. Now... the only way for this fellowship to remain an aggressor, and not a target, of the Word-Hater, is for it to remain a fellowship of actions, and not one of words."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!



After a second, the orc nods once :"That is a wise saying, Amir. Besides, we cannot afford to waste time and resources fighting amongs ourselves."

This doesn't mean that I will not keep an eye on you, elf he thinks as he takes a long sip of his watery, tasteless drink. He then addresses Talthe.

"You mentioned using this enchanted stone against the Betrayer. I have no familiarity with magic, but can such a thing really be done?" Raliin then eyes Karr. He is not familiar with this person, and he has heard a couple of worrying things about him, but he decides to avoid more infighting.

"What about you, sorcerer? If you studied this rock, do you think you could turn it into a weapon for us?"

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh



Blood -1 | Courage +2 | Grace +2 | Sense +1 | Wisdom +0

One of a collection of ragged parchments lies unfolded on the table, and the two Nomads hover over it with a brush in hand each.

"The mountain's all the way over here, that's the right one right? So that's probably the forest over there. Eh, but that's a pretty big forest, and nobody's said anything about a clearing before. Ilya, what's a menhir? Pointy, like a tree? But how are we supposed to find a tree in a forest? Not a tree? Um, that still kinda looks like a tree. Well, I guess it doesn't matter much since we gotta find a clearing first anyways. Since there's a bunch of trails here and here and here, maybe we could just look in this spot over here and not have to search so much?"

Miha paints multiple different routes along roads from Carrow to Mount Celtha while Ilya notes each detail with proper letters. The two seem to talk out each path and repaint over the ones they decide against, narrowing down their options.

"Hey, why would something in a forest be really important anyways? Wouldn't it be better to keep something with letters written on it with you so you always have it? Ah, or is it like a buried treasure there at a hidden landmark, so most people wouldn't even think about it but you could find it really easy if you remembered? That makes sense to me! I wonder what's inside?"

Ilya shrugs, keeping at her work on the map.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.



Blood +0 | Courage +1 | Grace +2 | Sense +2 | Wisdom -1
Talthe and Pearl

Talthe rises to get a better look at the map, leaning over the table as well. "It might be something inside it, under it, or the stone itself. I'm sure we can pull the secrets from it. We should leave at night, though. We seem safe for now, but the less that see where we leave to, the better." Or maybe he's becoming paranoid.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018




The trip won't be a short one, as Miha's map makes clear. There are several viable routes - you could head to the nearby river and head upriver, stopping at one of the trading towns along the way to stock up before heading into the woods. Or you could try an overland route through the foothills, skipping any towns - but that way might be dangerous, with little chance to restock if any problems should arise. And, of course, there is the possibility of traveling via the mountain villages - a longer route around, but with more places to stop on the way.

How do you want to get there?

Neopie
Feb 28, 2014

Something something cinnamon bun


Stats: Wisdom +2(), Grace -1(), Sense +2(), Blood +1(), Courage 0()

A source of power... Interesting. I know the power that can be held in stone, even if I have never witnessed it myself- not this kind of power, anyways. When you live in the stone, when you can observe it's changes, it's secrets, it's sudden sparks and flames and changes? You understand the power that a mere stone can have. So unlike my companions, I am not going to be skeptical about this.

Unfortunately, it seems they're so foolish as to argue amongst each other... and then Amir, of all people, puts a cease to it. Not in the way I would have preferred, but an acceptable one, I suppose. Now, back to business. We have a general direction to go in, and it should be a bit of travel. So we'll need to set off, once we have our plans in order.

I slowly stand up from the table, stretching out my legs, standing straight and tall, as I look to our assembled people- all of us are here, except Hanna bara Hanna- and I know she can't be far. I cough once, then look to each of my fellows in turn, meeting their eyes, and giving a simple nod. "I would like to thank you all for joining us on this journey- this endeavor."

"I know that we may not all get along- but truly, we have a common goal. A common enemy. The Betrayer, the Burner, the Quencher, the Overlord. We must put aside our differences, and strike- strike where we go, strike as we move, never stop, never relent. Rest as nessecary, but we can never stop- not until we've achieved our goal."

"Now. This magic rock you've located is quite a ways away- I would suggest that we move by river. That way, we can be expedient, without truly forsaking an opportunity to rest and regroup should something come up. I believe many of you know something about the water, so that should assist as well." But, let's see what the others say in response...

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



B-1 [ ] | C+2 [ ] | G+0 [ ] | S+2 [ ] | W+1 [ ]

The door to meeting room opens up with a clatter again. No great warrior or terrible wizard this time - in fact, it seems to be no-one at all. Look a little lower though. In bustles Hanna barra Hanna, managing - or being managed by, perhaps - a serving tray as big as she is. She makes a circuit of the room, handing a plate with a lovely pastry to each of the gathered fellowship. Fish-shaped taiyaki with a kelp pastry and bean-paste filling for the merfolk and habinger. A sticky baklava for the orc. Spicy cinnamon rolls for the dwarves, a fancy cream puff for the heir who called them together. She thanks each for coming, quietly, then slides the tray onto the table, clambers into a chair, and picks up her own simple scone, tilting her head to look at the parchment the Halflings are working on.

"What a pretty map!" She takes a bite and chews happily, then adds, "If we go by boat, we could get little ones that we could hide or carry a little. My cousin used to have a boat she used as a tent when it was raining." She looks up at all the very tall people around the room. "It's probably too small for us though..."

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh



Blood -1 | Courage +2 | Grace +2 | Sense +1 | Wisdom +0

Miha's eyes track Hanna around the room, developing into a blank stare as she realizes there isn't anything for her. W... Well, it probably wouldn't have been as good as what she could have made. Yeah... Ilya doesn't seem to care nearly as much.

"Um, leaving at night just makes us even more suspicious. The few caravans who do try to leave at night usually have accidents on the road since they can't see the road very well, and it makes it way easier for bandits to notice them and sneak up to them. If we go bright and early like normal, we'll look just like any other cart leaving here.

"Ah, and I don't know if the cart would get on a boat very well. It's pretty fast though, and it gives us more options than being stuck to the river."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



B-1 [ ] | C+2 [ ] | G+0 [ ] | S+2 [ ] | W+1 [ ]

Hanna listens politely to Miha's explanation with a slight frown. Something is not quite right here. Then a look of dawning horror crosses her face. "I forgot the sticky buns!" Her ears droop, for a moment as she looks down at her plate, then straighten back up. With a butter knife, she cuts off the corner of the scone she took a bite from, and pushes the rest across to Miha and Ilya.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009


MAGE CURES PLOT


Harbinger
DOOM: +2 [ ], Blood: +2 [ ], Courage: +0 [ ]
Grace: +0 [ ], Sense: +1 [ ], Wisdom: -1 [ ]


"Were the choice mine alone, I would suggest the quickest route. Dangerous though it may be, our fellowship seems quite capable of seeing our way through.

As ever, I will defer to the wisdom of the group on this matter. Should we travel by night, I can ensure darkness will not trouble us, I may even have a solution for the cart should we travel by river."

Error 404 fucked around with this message at Sep 30, 2015 around 04:27

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature



Amir, the Ram
Iron +2 Blood +2 Courage +1 Grace +1 Sense +0 Wisdom -1


Amir looks inquisitively at the cinnamon roll he's been handed by Hanna, before taking a bite out of it. His face lightens in pleasant surprise, and he raises his cup to Hanna. "This is good food! Cheers, little one!"

When he speaks next, Amir has his mouth full with one of the small rolls. "Fate won't have the mercy to grant us safe travels. All roads, day or night, will be perilous to the fellowship!" he exclaims, without regret or concern. "But indeed, the river route will get us there fast and give us a place to regroup in case of disaster. I agree with the Storm Mistress it would be the best choice."

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.



Blood +0 | Courage +1 | Grace +2 | Sense +2 | Wisdom -1
Talthe and Pearl

Talthe and Pearl look surprised to be offered food, but gladly eat the pastries down in giant bites, giving gestures of thanks to Hanna.

"I agree with the river route. But that likely doesn't surprise any of you. We can help scout, as well. And should any be unable to swim, you'll be perfectly safe with Pearl and I around," Talthe adds afterwards.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!



"We gain nothing by trying to hide, so we might as well pick the fastest route" the orc adds, bringing a bit of the pastry to his mouth. "There aren't many caravans of a dwarf, an orc, a member of the Molten People, two elves, two halflings and..."
As he bits into hit, his small eyes go wide with surprise.
"... a great cook travelling the countryside." After smiling a perhaps too toothy smile at the squire, he composes himself. "The best we can hope is put together a believable enough story and hope people do not ask too many questions. The Betrayer does not yet know of us, and the longer that stays true, the longer we can strike at him with little fear of reprisal. Well, little enough fear of reprisal."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009


MAGE CURES PLOT


Harbinger
DOOM: +2 [ ], Blood: +2 [ ], Courage: +0 [ ]
Grace: +0 [ ], Sense: +1 [ ], Wisdom: -1 [ ]


I finish my drink and food quickly, and begin packing away my things.
"The hour grows late, and we have some distance to travel. I feel as though we should take care to finish what business we have here in town, so that we may leave soonest."

Neopie
Feb 28, 2014

Something something cinnamon bun


Stats: Wisdom +2(), Grace -1(), Sense +2(), Blood +1(), Courage 0()

Oh dear. IT seems there's one pastry less than there should be- I stand up to go over to Miha and Ilya, but it seems Hanna already has a solution, promptly delivering her scone to the two... But I still walk over, simply placing the creampuff in the hands of Hanna, instead. There. "Such a good cook should enjoy the fruits of her own labor."

Anyways, back to the discussion- it seems we're agreed, the river route is the best. Amir is being surprisingly... respectful, but I won't scorn a present. No, now is the time to act. So I nod along to the discussion, waiting for a moment to speak. Raliin seems to have the right of it- we're not exactly an inconspicuous group.

Anyways, let's get on with it.

"Agreed, Karr. I suggest that we'll need a good bit of provisions- we'll need a sizable boat to fit all of us and our mounts, unless someone intends to follow the coast and tend to them- I know my own must, since they're... uncomfortable when they can't reach the land. ... It would probably be bad for the boat to bring Trombe. No, we'll find.. Mmn, I heard a rumor about some sort of 'gambling house' boat- in theory, for such a thing, it should need ample room for living and posesssions and the like. And I'm sure I can convince the bosun and captain to take it along the route we need, should it exist and not already be going that way."

"As well, I'd suggest that someone go out and see if we can find news of the overlord."

"What else do we need, before we depart?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


All right, I think that puts us into A Little Downtime before we head out on a journey to the next town and the river. Everyone gets one thing they do while here in Carrow. I'll ask questions about what you do. You only get one, then I get one - and then we go around again if there's still things you want to do. But every time we go around, I get a turn.

You can pass, not doing anything, if you choose.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at Sep 30, 2015 around 21:52

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009


MAGE CURES PLOT


Harbinger
DOOM: +2 [ ], Blood: +2 [ ], Courage: +0 [ ]
Grace: +0 [ ], Sense: +1 [ ], Wisdom: -1 [ ]


While the others attend to their tasks, I take it upon myself to act as scout, though it may simply look like I'm napping just outside the tavern with my hood up.
Wizardry: ... look, hear... as if you were somewhere else that you can see.
As my body rests, my senses rush into the air, projecting high above this tiny village, and out above the trees, in search of any signs of approaching danger.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.



Blood +0 | Courage +1 | Grace +2 | Sense +2 | Wisdom -1
Talthe and Pearl

Talthe and Pearl keep a low profile while the others go about their business.

Passing

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Karr: You see some trouble ahead, not too far outside Carrow - not Overlord-related, but which you'll want to be ready for. What kind of trouble is it - wild animals, bandits, a natural disaster?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009


MAGE CURES PLOT


Harbinger
DOOM: +2 [ ], Blood: +2 [ ], Courage: +0 [ ]
Grace: +0 [ ], Sense: +1 [ ], Wisdom: -1 [ ]


Carrow is a modest, but healthy place, sitting as it does between a river and crossroads, it's natural that certain unsavory forces in the world would seek plunder here. The small band of brigands I spy making their way down the road doesn't surprise me, nor the crude and rust spotted nature of their weaponry. All too often, in the absence of the culture that literacy brings, society devolves into chaos and savagery. In years past these fellows may have even been farmers like folk of Carrow.

I slide my senses back into my own body, head up and on my feet in a moment.
"Fellows, we have some unfriendly company bearing down on the town as we speak.
Fear not, for they are a trifle, and so I shall leave you to your preparations and handle the matter myself."

With that, I march resolutely in the direction I saw them coming, hood up and head held high.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



B-1 [ ] | C+2 [ ] | G+0 [ ] | S+2 [ ] | W+1 [ ]

As with every spare moment she can find since the Fellowship was called, Hanna checks and rechecks the supplies, doing her best to make sure the heroes won't find themselves in want of something they need. You can never have too much rope, after all. After her mistake earlier, she particularly wants to make sure she finds something to make Miha and Ilya feel welcome.

That, and a nice big skillet. Her one from home is just going to be too small if they've dwarves along.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature



Amir, the Ram
Iron +2 Blood +2 Courage +1 Grace +1 Sense +0 Wisdom -1


Amir waits for a quiet time, at night, completely alone and away from his bodyguards. He sits on the floor and takes out a small bundle of cloth he carries about his person; from inside, he removes an austere little disk of gold; the immortal Sigil of the Dwarf Kings. Placing it in front of himself, on the floor, he closes his eyes and enters a meditative trance while communing with the souls of past Kings.

"And thus I have agreed to embark on the last journey, the journey to eclipse all that came before it. May it bring peace to the world and unending glory to the Dwarven People. May I have your blessing."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Karr

The bandits are some distance out of town - a good twenty minutes of walking. But you are no stranger to walking. A lone man on the road, they think you an easy mark. There are five of them, and they are quick to leap from their hiding place along the road. "Halt, traveler!" The lead man draws a sword, though he seems ill-practiced with it. "This is a toll road. What have you to offer to pay our toll?"

quote:

Bandit Gang

Desperate Men
The bandits are desperate for any wealth - offer them something Precious or enough Food for them all, and they'll happily go away.

We Need This
Need drives men to terrible deeds. The bandits may damage this stat to take something you really don't want to give them.

Hanna

The market of Carrow is decent enough, if not with the widest selection. You find most of what you want. What can't you get here, and what's the best you can do instead?

Amir

The ancestral kings speak to you, promising their guidance - but they ask something of you, as well. What do they demand of you before you reach the menhir, as king of the dwarves?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!



Blood:+2 Courage:+2 Grace:-1 Sense:+1 Wisdom:+0

In the meantime, Raliin searches for information, first by asking the tavern's barkeep and then whoever the barkeep suggests he goes to. He's trying to discover any information about the route they have chosen to take; how safe it is, if many travellers take it, and if there are any outstanding problems they should be worried about.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



B-1 [ ] | C+2 [ ] | G+0 [ ] | S+2 [ ] | W+1 [ ]

It's fortunate homunculi are strong for their size, otherwise Hanna would not be able to carry her new skillet. As it was, from the front she appeared more skillet than person, just a round black hunk of metal with two ears sticking out and a pair of eyes peering over the rim. It would be a problem - except she can use some of the new rope to tie it to her pack! She hums to herself happily at how things always seem to work out like that.

The pack is going to be pretty big in the end, even for Hanna. She did find plenty of potatoes and oatmeal and jerky to form the base of their rations, and even a few more spices to add to her prized case. But she'd come up short on two things she'd been hoping to find. There was not a piece of fishing tackle to be found in Carrow at any price. No rods, no nets, not even angles and line! Well, they did have the merfolk with them - perhaps they'd be able to catch fish without!

Somewhat more worrisome was the lack of oilcloth. Hanna had an oilcloth cover for the spice box (which was supposedly waterpoof on its own, but no point borrowing trouble). She'd hoped to get more to protect their other supplies and gear, and any important things the heroes had brought along, especially if they were planning a river journey. But there was none for sale, and ordering some would take too long. In its place, she'd gotten some duck canvas, but it wouldn't protect against wetness nearly as well.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Oct 1, 2015 around 18:16

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Raliin

Your route is decently well-traveled these days. Banditry is not as rare as people would like, but they're not the real danger of the route. You learn about something natural that's going to be a pain to deal with - but at least you know about it now. What is it?

Neopie
Feb 28, 2014

Something something cinnamon bun


Stats: Wisdom +2(), Grace -1(), Sense +2(), Blood +1(), Courage 0()

While the others set out on their various tasks, I set off to find our Captain. This Gambling Boat, should it exist, should hopefully provide a source of transportation for us,and if not, surely we should be able to find out something else, yes? I have plenty of wealth that I can use to pay a prospective captain, and indeed, this shouldn't be too hard a task.

It all depends on what I find there, though. If the captain is unjust or the boat unfit, we might need to find another route. In truth... I worry that we may be rushing into things too quickly. But even if we fail at locating this Source of Power, or fail in obtaining it, we may still be able to figure out something from the journey- the location of another, a secret of the overlord's, something- something we can use to grasp the future in our hands.

I should be near the docks, now...

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature



Amir, the Ram
Iron +2 Blood +2 Courage +1 Grace +1 Sense +0 Wisdom -1

Mors Rattus posted:

Amir

The ancestral kings speak to you, promising their guidance - but they ask something of you, as well. What do they demand of you before you reach the menhir, as king of the dwarves?

The Kings Long Gone demand a feast a piece of ritual hospitality, commonly undertaken when the King takes the road. It shall be held at night. The King and his companions shall eat the roasted meat of a creature caught by the King himself, unaided. Then they shall toast to the health of all people, and drink true Dwarven alcohol until drunk. The purpose of this is to honor the bond between different races and celebrate Dwarven strength.

The Kings Long Gone will not be satisfied unless the ritual is completed, with proper form, in its entirety.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!



Blood:+2 Courage:+2 Grace:-1 Sense:+1 Wisdom:+0

"Kelpies?"

The old halfling nods, lighting his pipe: "Yessiree, kelpies. Mischievous river spirits. Always a problem around these parts, especially now in the dry season. Makes them nervous, you see." He sits up a bit straighter and looks away, towards the edge of the town. He's sitting on a chair in a porch, with an old blanket to protect him from the cold and thoughtful expression on his face.

"They used to pretend to be horses or maidens or drowning children back when I was a young'un, to lure folks in the river and drown them, but people stopped falling for that and now they've wisened up. Nowadays you can't trust anyone or anything near that river to be what it looks like it is. Branches, rocks, everything can spring up hands and hooves and whatnot and throw you into the river. A cousin of mine swears that he saw one of them turn into a whole boat with a boatman on top, even. But I'm pretty sure he was just drunk."

Raliin grimaces, following the old man's gates. He can't see the river from there, but if he focuses he can almost hear its traitorous sound. Avoiding every and any obstacle that may touch the raft... this is not going to make for a comfortable journey.

"Word of advice, orc." says the elder. "A big fellow like you, if you see the kelpies coming, you can probably drive them away; they're not that strong. The trick is not to let them take you by surprise, see? And they're good at that."

Raliin nods pensively, before going through his satchel and fishing a couple of coins. He makes to hand them to the man, but he raises an hand in a gesture of denial.
"No need for that, youngster. I won't accept money in exchange for friendly advice, especially not when it's for possibly saving a person's life. You go and make it to the next summer, and we're even."

The orcs blinks a couple of time, before nodding once again, thanking the man and going back to his companions to tell them what he discovered.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at Oct 2, 2015 around 00:54

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009


MAGE CURES PLOT


Harbinger
DOOM: +2 [ ], Blood: +2 [ ], Courage: +0 [ ]
Grace: +0 [ ], Sense: +1 [ ], Wisdom: -1 [ ]


"I've been watching you lot. Desperate looking for easy coin. You'll find none from me, and should you push me, you'll find something much less to your liking..."
I flip back my hood, not that I expect these simpletons to recognize Harbinger tattoos, but I've been told they give me an intimidating air on their own.
"I come to you now, to end your banditry with an offer to talk things out peaceably. Though I must warn you I am entirely ready to end each of you to attain that goal as well.
Shall we begin?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Liara

The captain is available and the boat is shipshape. He's not the most trustworthy fellow, but seems to be on the level - he hardly wants to get caught himself, after all, given what he's occasionally smuggled. However, there is one problem. What else is he taking with him that you're going to have to find a way to deal with?

Karr

The bandits look to each other, then back at Karr. The tattoos are suspicious - what kind of a man is covered in so many? "Listen, friend, we don't want trouble and neither do you. But a man's got to eat, so you pay the toll. If you want to end this peaceful-like, so do we. But we can't just let you pass for free. What're you offering?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh



Blood -1 | Courage +2 | Grace +2 | Sense +1 | Wisdom +0

Miha dozes around and proves generally useless while Ilya ensures the cart is in working order.

I can't really come up with a good downtime activity, so I'm just gonna pass.

  • Locked thread
«3 »