Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Neopie
Feb 28, 2014

Something something cinnamon bun


Stats: Wisdom +2(), Grace -1(), Sense +2(), Blood +1(), Courage 0()
Used: Precious Gems[x][]

Well, the boat exists, at least. The crew an passengers are mostly loaded up, but they have enough room for us. The guy seems alright, though not someone I would work with if I had a choice, no. This strange, human boat is odd... But hat's not what has me worried about this trip. No, that's the horrid thing in the holds- the writhing, bucking thing chained behind bars- a creature of the shadows, writhing and twisting, held in by light and chain and hope- supposedly, it's being smuggled out of the country to be studied, as the Overlord uses many of these as servants.

I was not impressed with how the captain expected me to buy this. Perhaps he thought it the truth, but that's much too... convenient.

Unfortunately, this is also, as it turns out, the only boat that can carry our group among the waves for at least a few days.

So I have a conundrum- this thing will certainly keep us up, but... no. I must assure our passage.

"I'm telling you, we can't just drop the cargo! We'll have to keep it! I'm bound by contract, damnit!" The grizzled captain is losing his patience- no matter. I am experienced with dealing with people like him. I straighten up, and look him dead in the eye. There are two components to convincing someone to do what you want.
Well, more than two. I'll provide three.
"Hrm. Well, you wouldn't want the attention of the Overlord coming to your ship, for certain- that's dangerous cargo to carry. At the very least, I think you need to up the watch on it- a crewmember on it at all times. Keep it under watch, I think."
"Now! Do as I say, and hear me well, captain! Prepare the lights and protections- march your men down there!"
YES, MY LIEGE:
<Neopie> Mors - roll for Fellowship (YES, MY LIEGE)
<Neopie> !roll 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Neopie, 5+2 = 7
They do it, but not how I wanted, or
They turn their attention to me, instead, or
they offer me something they think I want.

"I mean, we can't just have something like that up around with the rest of us- it's a dangerous, unknown creature! Look, I'll make it worth your while..."

<Neopie> !roll 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Neopie, 5+2 = 7
Talk Sense: Well, I got a seven: I'll pay the price of Using a Use of my Precious Gems to bribe the guy.


With that, I swipe a bag from my side, and open it in front of his eyes- a large collection of glittering, multicolored gems hangs in there, as I throw the pouch to him. He'll find a good deal of worth out of those, I imagine. Hopefully, this is enough to convince the man to heed my words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Liara

The captain turns away from his work, waving off his crew. "All right, I'm listening. You want that thing off the ship, but I have business to do, too..." He stops, as the gems shine from the bag. He catches it, nodding.

"...but we can do business here. Now, there is one thing more I'll need from you. I promised this to a good client of mine. Now, I'll have it locked down and killed here, like you say. But after you do your business - and I don't ask you what that is - you make your way further upriver. Once you get to the headwaters, take the trade roads north, over the mountains. There's a town past there, Kalpran's Landing. You go there, you find Leene the Eye. She's my contact for this. You're going to be the one to explain to her why there's no sale. We good on that?"

Neopie
Feb 28, 2014

Something something cinnamon bun


Stats: Wisdom +2(), Grace -1(), Sense +2(), Blood +1(), Courage 0()
Used: Precious Gems[x][]

"Excellent. I'm glad you see sense. Now, don't worry. I'll make sure that your business partner completely understands, and compensate them as well. Probably." I'll find out what sort of 'compensation' they deserve. A sword is quite possibly what they'll get, in the end. On the other hand... We shall have to see. In any case, I nod, and move to retrieve my equipment.

Liara's done.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009


MAGE CURES PLOT


Harbinger
DOOM: +2 [ ], Blood: +2 [ ], Courage: +0 [ ]
Grace: +0 [ ], Sense: +1 [ ], Wisdom: -1 [ ]


"You have my sympathies but I have a counter-offer.
There's a small town, and should you wish for honest work I can accompany you there, it may not you rich, but you won't starve. Should you have a taste for more danger, I might hire you myself for an expedition. If you think you're tough enough."

Speak Softly 5
awesome...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Karr

The bandits look at each other, then the lead one's eyes narrow. "So you're going to come here and preach to us about what to do and not even have the respect to pay our toll." The man grabs at Karr's cloak. He's a large man, and he lifts Karr nearly off his feet. "You have no idea what we've had to go through, and if you think we can just go beg for work, you are sorely mistaken. Now, you have one chance here before I get really angry. You give me what I want, or I'll take it. Hand over your valuables. Are we clear?"



In the meantime, things are continuing elsewhere. The Betrayer has issued his orders. High in the mountains, he confers with his servants. "Kamal, take the Iron Dragon, Tana, Rill and...oh, and Mara and Jet. Go and replace Kareg at the Great Circle. He and his team deserve a break. Continue the ritual - if we can harness more of the stones' power, I may be able to ease your burden." The small man turns away. "Come, Marina. We away for the Black Lake. The Firstborn of the Cold Pearl Mothers awaits us." He heads for the sunset, a little creature on his heels.

The black-cloaked general behind him nods. "Your will be done, Lord." He turns, heading the opposite direction, down toward the smoky camp below. He will soon lead a group for the menhir, to shift the guard on it.

While Karr is busy still, is anyone going for a second activity?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature


Amir is done for now, he'll spend the time before departure joyfully carousing with whoever's around.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009


MAGE CURES PLOT


Harbinger
DOOM: +2 [ ], Blood: +2 [ ], Courage: +0 [X]
Grace: +0 [X], Sense: +1 [ ], Wisdom: -1 [X]


I sigh loudly, sadly, regretfully.
"I'm not here to help you, idiot, I'm here to prevent you from harming the people I'm actually here to help."
with a whisper of power and a rush of air, the brigand and his friend are physically repulsed, landing some feet away, eyes as wide as dinner plates and mouths agape.
"You parasites prey upon the weak, accosting and traumatizing decent folk. You may have little, but you've stolen it from those with Nothing. You have slapped away the hand of peace, reap what you have sown..."

I call upon The Word, my eyes and the sigils tattooed across my body begin to glow as if lit from within by golden flames.
In my sight, I see them as glowing patterns of swirling runes, each thought and process a word or phrase making up their being. With my power I reach out, and disrupt those patterns, scattering the symbols of who they are out into the world.
The light grows brighter, highlighting the villainous duo's terror in the instance before they are reduced to fine ash.
Do Not Trifle with Wizards
choosing to inflict/take 3 damage

The light fades as a breeze picks up and scatters the ashes of the former bandits. Carrow is safer in exchange for their hospitality towards me. The scales have been balanced, but at what cost?
I turn back toward town and begin the walk back. An ill omen for this quest, indeed.
I'm done/ready to go.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!


I am done as well.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Preparations are completed, and the journey along the river to the next town begins, safe from nearby banditry or the dangers of the captive creature, now dead. But just because some dangers are handled doesn't mean they all are, and it will be at least three days before you make port again.

Time for a Long Journey! Each of you will get to declare one event that happens on the way. Once someone does, they pick someone else to be the focus of the event. So - you describe an event, then pick someone else to resolve it. They get to choose the next event. So - everyone gets to frame one scene and resolve one scene. I can complicate things by asking questions. And, of course, I also get a turn to describe some event related to me or my minions. Once everyone's had a go, you reach your destination - the river town of Fadden's Crossing.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh


I'll throw in first real quick, just putting this here so posts don't collide while being written.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh



Blood -1 | Courage +2 | Grace +2 | Sense +1 | Wisdom +0

Having traveled by cart for so long, Miha and Ilya are both totally out of their element on the river. On the upside it doesn't take fuel to park the cart, so it's not all bad. While Ilya takes the time to do maintenance that she hasn't had downtime to do for a while, Miha immediately finds herself bored. Armed with the now-stale sticky bun that she couldn't bear to eat and admit Hanna's cooking was any good, Miha learns that whatever Hanna put in the buns manages to attract fish around the boat despite usually staying clear of such a large vessel, and birds like to eat the fish as they flop out of the water.

Also birds like stale sticky buns too. Like that giant songbird that perched on the railing of the boat's stern to eat the rest of Miha's and all of Ilya's (she wasn't very hungry). They had to move the cart closer to the fore to balance things out, but Miha's pretty jazzed about having a new giant bird friend. Dunno about the others. Wonder how Hanna's dealing with it? She did bake the things, after all.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



B-1 [ ] | C+2 [ ] | G+0 [ ] | S+2 [ ] | W+1 [ ]

Very large birds are not something Hanna much likes. Small people often look like snacks to such creatures. This particular bird, though, is lacking in the talons and that peculiarly piercing gaze of the sorts of birds that snatch at unwary homunculi. And it seems to like her sticky buns! That seems like the start of a potential friendship.

Hanna digs into her pack and comes up with one of the oatmeal cookies she baked before they set out, and carefully approaches the bird, offering it up as she nears. "Hi! Do you like those? I'm glad! Do you want to be friends?"

Speak Softly (+Wisdom): 2d6+1 6
Not good.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


The songbird looks down at the oatmeal cookie, and then back at Hanna.

Oatmeal cookie.

Hanna.

Oatmeal cookie.

Hanna.

And then it dives for the cookie - and the pack. The tumble is little more than embarrassing, but that songbird is bigger than it looked at first! It makes off with the cookie - and all the rest, dragging the bag of cookies out of Hanna's pack and flying off with it! It sings as it goes, cookies hanging from its birdy talons.

Whoops.

Hanna, mark one use of Food. This was a very hungry bird.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



B-1 [ ] | C+2 [ ] | G+0 [ ] | S+2 [ ] | W+1 [ ]

Hanna takes a tumble as the bird snatches away Hanna's hard work, proving once more that feathered creatures are never to be trusted. "Oh no! Come back here! Those aren't for you!"

She hops up and down and waves her arms, but to no avail. Realizing soon enough that the miserable creature is long gone, Hanna sits down at the edge of the boat, arms wrapped around a stanchion and feet kicking in the air, and has a good mope. If she knows anything of adventure - and she knows a little - it's that there'll be little chance replace those cookies, and the good-feeling a bit of home baking would provide in darker times.

But Hanna's sulks are as short as she is, and soon enough she's back to her usual cheery self, making some hot drinks and going round to make sure everyone has a mug. While bringing a cup of herbal tea to Talthe and Pearl, something catches her attention from the corner of her eye.

Peering at it through squinted eyes, she realizes what it is. "Oh my! Talthe, look - it's a shipwreck!" And indeed, ahead of them, in a curve of the river, another boat much like their own has run itself onto the rocks. It looks to have been there for a time. The position will make it a tight scrape past - more than close enough to hop from one deck to the next, if one wanted.

Tagging in Talthe.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.



Blood +0 | Courage +1 | Grace +2 | Sense +2 | Wisdom -1
Talthe and Pearl

The two Merfolk are sitting on the side rail of the boat, conferring with each other over things secret and strange. They've taken off their cloaks. There's no real reason to try to hide themselves any longer, what with them all being away from the town. They breathe in deeply the scent of the water and of the cool breeze sweeping across the deck, and are drawn back to the present by Hanna.

Talthe looks downriver. "How old would you guess the wreck is, Hanna?" he asks her, making conversation as he moves to the front of the ship, gauging distances and clearance and such, his large eyes flitting and blinking rapidly with multiple eyelids.

Pearl seems to be preparing to dive into the water, though is waiting on word from his brother.

Look Closely (+Sense): 11

Mors, is there anything valuable in the ship?
Does the ship pose a danger or will we be able to clear it?
Is there anything that isn't as it appears to be?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


I think you're running off the old Look Closely, the questions got changed.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.


Oh, whoops. Let's try these instead.

Does the ship look like it is hiding something?
If we do nothing, will our ship collide with the shipwreck or clear it?
What is here that can be used to my advantage?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


The ship is caught up on rocks and river bottom - it must have been riding heavy in the water. It's mostly intact, still, so it didn't run aground too long ago - and at least most of its cargo must still be there. If nothing is done, the ship will eventually break up in the river and cause various floating hazards, but nothing you'll really need to worry about for yourselves. At worst, it will scrape the ship and cause some minor damage - perhaps some water intake. But by the markings of the ship, it was a trading vessel - not rare, but not common, either. Its cargo could easily be quite valuable, if you found a way to get it out of the wreck - but it'll be big and heavy, so that's a bit of a challenge. and disturbing it could speed its breakup.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.



Blood +0 | Courage +1 | Grace +2 | Sense +2 | Wisdom -1
Talthe and Pearl

"We should be clear to pass it. But we can check to be sure," Talthe comments after an inspection as they sail closer. Pearl and he jump overboard and cut ahead through the water towards the wreck, checking the river bottom for any hidden rocks and to be sure there's clearance, before finding a way up onto the deck of the ship where they can give a quick look around. Talthe is there waiting when the ship reaches the wreck, waving for them to keep going.

"There will be contact!" Talthe shouts out to the crew. "Just a bit. Hold tight. You'll fit through."

Sure enough, the boat rubs against the wreck, and there's a terrible jostling as the wood groans in complaint. Talthe grimaces a bit, but keeps a close eye on things.

"There's still cargo aboard," he calls to the rest of the Fellowship as the boat is slowly inching past. "I didn't have time to look through, of course." He jumps back aboard from deck to deck, and Pearl emerges a moment after to do the same.

--

The ship has traveled only a little ways further downriver when Amir hears a grim report, spoken in a hushed voice to the captain by one of his crew. It seems that passing the wrecked ship has caused more damage than the Elves had expected. That, or the Captain had lied about his vessel's worthiness. Either way, the trip is going to need to be interrupted for repairs and pumping unless the water can be stopped somehow, and soon.

Over to Lord Amir, assuming there's nothing else to do with the wreck.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009


MAGE CURES PLOT

I'm here, just waiting to get called on.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature



Amir, the Ram
Iron +2 Blood +2 Courage +1 Grace +1 Sense +0 Wisdom -1


Amir is serenely watching the birds and the waves, sharpening his pocket knife on a rock, when he overhears the first mate's conversation with the captain. He leans on the railing, now entertained by the captain's pained expression as the man runs the math of the scenarios through his head. After a minute of this, Amir walks up to the captain. He makes no effort to keep his voice low.

"Captain! I hear your mighty vessel risks becoming waterlogged if action is not taken. Where is your crew? Come on! Men! We are going down to resolve the issue!"

I guess I might be triggering Talk Sense?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


The men head down below with Amir, to try and fix the vessel. They're putting forth a valiant effort, but there's one problem - one of the leaks is too strong for them. Some mystery of pressure and location means that they can't both hold wood in place and fasten it - it will take someone of greater strength for that - and who better than the strongest of the dwarves?

No need to Talk Sense to get them to do what they're already willing to do, but there's problems they can't solve alone!

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature



Amir, the Ram
Iron +2 Blood +2 Courage +1 Grace +1 Sense +0 Wisdom -1


"Step aside, friends. This is my turn!"

Amir takes the wood and braces himself against the pressure of the leak, his muscles hardening under duress! This is a showcase of the legendary physical might of the Dwarves!

I think the leak makes more sense as a threat then as an enemy, so I'm rolling to Overcome it with +Blood. Let me know if I should roll something else.
Overcome (+Blood): 2d6+2 9


"Come! I shall hold this in place until you have fastened it!"

Due to my 7-9 result, this is a temporary solution. The repairs will hold for now, but the problem will come back with full force later...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


I'll make a special offer here, since this is a journey montage - you can pay a price to make it work as if a 10+ was rolled.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature


Sure, I can do that.


Amir, the Ram
Iron +2 Blood +2 Courage +1 Grace +1 Sense +0 Wisdom -1


It's an intense hour of work, but it's been done – the ship runs no risk of becoming waterlogged any time soon. In fact, that hull is probably the sturdiest it's ever been!

The crew comes back up on the deck, Amir merrily singing and joking along with the men. He looks up at the sky... "Alright, men! That was a job well done! I do believe it deserves a celebration!" He produces from seemingly out of nowhere an unadorned canteen that looks like it's seen its fair share of travel and one or two volcanic eruptions.

The crew teases Amir: "What's in that tiny flask, o powerful Dwarf? Some apple juice, to ward off seasickness?"

Amir only smiles, almost wickedly. "You laugh now, friend... but hear me! Drink such as this you'll only ever taste once, this far from Dwarven land! Do not let the opportunity pass you by. Come, gather round, bring your cups."

Yeah, Amir is getting a portion of the crew (and himself) incredibly drunk.

Using: strong alcohol (now with 1 use left)
I'm guessing that since I'm using it as part of paying a price, I don't get the Drunk/Vigor mechanical effect?

---

May I go ahead and frame the next scene?

A crewman detaches himself from the drinking and singing that's going on around Amir and approaches Raliin Coalface.

"Is that... wooow. Is that a real axe? It looks... Hell, it isn't exactly pretty, is it? But it's a whole kind of... different... can I touch it?"

A second crewman, skinnier than the first, approaches the man very fast and grabs him fiercely by the arm, dragging him away. He turns his neck to speak to Raliin. "Sorry about him! He's drunk. Hehe. Heh." The man has a very annoying servile tone. He drags his friend a couple of feet away and starts whispering severely, but Raliin can still hear them...

"Are you insane?! You know what that is? It's an Orc! They kill you if you look at them funny. My cousin Jeremiah, he got jumped by one of those things, lost a hand! Yeah! Attacked with no reason! At all! He's lucky he's alive, he is. Monsters, all of them. You shouldn't be... you know? Now sober up and thank the gods you have me as a friend!"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Yeah, you just lose a Use rather than getting its normal benefits.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!



Blood:+2 Courage:+2 Grace:-1 Sense:+1 Wisdom:+0

"Here."
The second crewman turns around, to see the Orc with his weapon in hand!... by the blade. He's offering the handle to his drunken friend. Is that a smile? It sure shows off a lot of very sharp teeth to be a smile.
"Take a look if you want to, just don't swing it around. See the little hooks on the blade? They help the axe stick to the flesh. It may not be pretty, but it packs quite a punch."

Sorry for the wait folks, real life got in the way.
I am not exactly sure of what I am doing here, it just feels like the right thing to do. I guess I could be creating a Bond with the sailor? How do you interpret an action like this?
Here's my roll for now, please tell me what I am supposed to add:
http://orokos.com/roll/333991 2d6: 3 [2d6=1, 2]
Or maybe don't, because whatever I add here is unlikely to lead to a success.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


No need for a roll unless you're doing a move.

The man looks up at Raliin, and then at his more xenophobic friend. He cautiously takes the weapon, seeming nervous at first. But after Raliin showing him its uses for a time, he begins to get a little better with it.

If you want to spend your time teaching him about orcish weapons, then tell me about this guy a little, give him a name and write a Bond for him. Then tell me about how you train him and what Orcish weapons training is like.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!



Blood:+2 Courage:+2 Grace:-1 Sense:+1 Wisdom:+0

Much to Raliin's surprise, the next day the sailor approached him, introduced himself as Darien and asked him if the orc could teach him his people's martial arts. Raliin wasn't sure why he was so interested in that, nor why he called them "martial arts", but after making sure that he was not drunk again, he agreed.

Darien turned out to be a disciplined if overenthusiastic pupil. He was young and lithe, barely an adult, and lacked the build to allow for the large swings of the Orcish axe, useful to keep numerous enemies at bay. So they focused on the spear: in the following days they could often be found, when neither of them had more pressing concerns, on the upper deck of the ship, going through routines of stabs and punctures.

"Remember: always start with some quick pokes" would say Raliin, with a shield held up to parry his apprentice's moves. "Test your opponent's defenses, and f you think you see an opening, try a stab, but never-"

"-commit to a full lounge unless you are sure you can go for the kill." said the young man, aiming at his mentor's legs and forcing him to lower his shield, exposing his upper body. "You know, I think I'm really starting to get the hang of this!"

The orc said nothing, but after Darien tried to take another stab at him, he bashed his spear away and stepped right in front of the sailor, where his long spear could not reach him.

"If I had been a real opponent, you'd be dead."
The Orc left his words hang for a second, then added "Hubris is more likely to kill you than any blade, if you let it get to your head. These lessons I am giving you are not going to substitue for the killing instinct of seasoned soldiers; you could take on a village bully or maybe a bandit, but don't go challenging any pit fighter anytime soon."

The young man, red of face for the embarassment, and looked down at the ship's dock. Raliin sighed, tryng to comfort him as much as he knew how: "That's enough for now, just remember to use those cricked legs of yours to keep your distance, that's the whole point of using a spear. We'll have to find you your own at one point or another, so you can keep training on your own after you've left me and my companions at our destination." Darien's eyes went wide with excitement.

Is this acceptable? If so, I'd like to create the Bond "Darien has potential but is not ready for a real fight yet."

E:whoops, forgot to write up an ostacle for the next player!


The ship has been making good time so far, all things considered. Sailors and passengers have slipped into something resembling a comfortable routine, as the latter ones become more comfortable with life onboard.
That is, until the lookout shouts an alarm. A huge chain has been placed in the river, with its edges nailed to the rocky shores. The anchor is hastily thrown into the waters to stop the ship from crashing into it. Once the ship has completerà stopped, Liara, who has come up with everyone else to see what is going on, notices a small rowboat slowly making its way towards the ship.

"Brigands, it looks like" says the captain, standing to the side of the princess "No idea how they managed to get a chain like that, let alone install it like this, but coppers to loaves they are going to ask for a toll to let us pass." He nervously plays with his sword handle. "Look, lady, I am not making so big a fortune with this voyage that I have money to spare for these jackals. Is there anything you can do about it?"

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at Oct 17, 2015 around 22:19

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


That's cool! Our man here has one stat:
[ ] - More Guts Than Brains

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018


Also: Neopie is having RL situations and may be unable to post; gonna give that 24 hours and then push this problem onto our halflings.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009


MAGE CURES PLOT


Harbinger
DOOM: +2 [ ], Blood: +2 [ ], Courage: +0 [X]
Grace: +0 [X], Sense: +1 [ ], Wisdom: -1 [X]


I move to the front of the boat and survey our obstacle. Hmph.
"I shall handle this, it will take me but a moment."
Bandits again. So bothersome.
I gather my energies, tapping once more into The Word, my tattoos flare and I point at the chain. One link in the center glows red hot for a moment before melting into the water with a sizzle, both sides of the chain follow it into the water and opening up our passage once more.
The effort tires me, and I return to my place on the boat.

Do Not Trifle with Wizards
Taking 1 damage
I'm assuming I've recovered or filled my belly during this journey so far and healed 1, so this puts me back at 3.


Our long journey continues, unfortunately one of the crew must have had a bad ration, and has gotten violently sick, leaving the boat short-handed as a result. As usual the Captain stands before you.
"Do any of you know a healing art, or failing that, could someone stand-to and help us man this vessel?"

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.



Blood +0 | Courage +1 | Grace +2 | Sense +2 | Wisdom -1
Talthe and Pearl

The two Merfolk have certainly seen their share of ships, but as for working them? Well. It doesn't mean they can't try.

"Let us," Talthe volunteers, Pearl looking a bit less enthusiastic by the idea. "What you need us to do?"

The pair work together to pick up the slack on the sick sailor's duties. Whether that be securing lines or emptying water, they'll be quick to throw their backs into it as best they can.


--
I know i'm going twice for this round but in the interests of moving things forward since this seems to have stalled out, should I roll something, Mors?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018




Meanwhile

A great iron beast races overhead. For just a moment, in the day before you arrival, you catch sight of it in the air - a great, gray creature with long black wings. A dragon, perhaps? But dragons are rare beyond measure, and none have been known in this area for a very long time. Odd, that. Either way, it is moving very quickly, in roughly the same direction you want to be - but bypassing the river and town to fly directly.

In the interests of time and moving things along after our delays, we will just elide past the rest of the journey. Neopie, now that you are back, I offer you the honors - name the town we're heading to and tell me a little about the folks that live there.

Karr, just mark down the Use of your food - it takes that to heal the one damage, which you quickly replace..

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



B-1 [ ] | C+2 [ ] | G+0 [ ] | S+2 [ ] | W+1 [ ]

For the umpteenth time, Hanna was repacking and recounting the party's supplies, when the boat came around a bend of the river and the town came into view. A crewman called out the sighting, and was met with disinterest by the rest. But Hanna, who had not seen as much of the world, stopped and looked. Then hurried over to the rail and clambered up for a better view.

Here, a tributary flowing down from the mountains and through the forest met the river. In a broad backwater between the two, sheltered from the current, stood Froschwald. On the far side of the town stood a cluster of lumber mills and warehouses. From here Hanna could see the tributary was full of floating logs, across which distant figures ran and leapt, prodding and pushing with long poles. Occasionally she would spot other poles poking up from below.

The whole shore was given over to the mills and sheds, and a tall stockade sheltered the little head of land from the forest. Closer to the ship, along the main river, was the town proper. It was built on piers that reached far out towards the main channel. Whitewashed wooden buildings with brightly colored roofs and doors stood atop them. Taverns and shops advertised with hanging signs to pierward, and ones painted onto the backs of the structure to waterward. Docks stretched out for ships so river traffic would not risk colliding with the piers. It was a pretty place, but seemed too small for the activity around it - until Hanna thought to look down, beneath the piers. And there was the rest of the town, beneath the surface. Its boundaries marked by buoys and the floating bobs of fish traps and nets, it was as large again as what stood above, its buildings made of hard, dark wood and colorful stones.

From the sight and smell, it was clearly a town of fishers and loggers, populated by river-elves and woods-halflings and a few stranger sorts. Self-reliant, honest folk, a bit provincial. The type likely to be welcoming of the Fellowship, but not sorry to speed them on their way either.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018




Froschwald is a pleasant enough town, the sort of place that one would expect to be bustling and cheerful, particularly with the thriving activity below the surface of the water. However, a pall hangs over the place as you stretch your legs. The people seem sullen and distant, far more than normal xenophobia might allow, even if they suffered from it.

After a time, you realize that you've not seen any children, either. While the ship takes on new supplies, yo make inquiries at the local inn about recent news, and it soon becomes clear why. The children are sick, and all attempts to find a doctor that can cure them have failed. The sickness has been going on for three months now, leaving everyone under the age of sixteen bedridden - and the eggs of the merfolk blighted. The inn has a passage below the water for merfolk, who readily confirm the story. They get weaker and weaker. Only ten deaths so far - but more must surely be coming.

No one is sure what caused the disease, though. Some blame a curse from a witch of the woods, others say it's some wasting of the soil. All that anyone's sure of is that the first children to be infected were those that most often played out in the woods.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!



Blood:+2 Courage:+2 Grace:-1 Sense:+1 Wisdom:+0
"So you aren't going to explain to me why you're traveling or where you are travelling to?"
"No"
"But why? Come on, mate! I am spending my few days of leave before we sail again with you! Is that not enough?"
"If this was a mission solely for my sake, I would consider it. But my mission is for more than that; besides, it is not just up to me; you would have to ask companions as well."
Darren considers these words as he and Raliin march towards the forest. He nervously passes his spear from one hand to the other: he is not familiar with the dangers of the forest, and that makes him nervous.
"So what are we doing here?"
"Quick scouting run in the outskirts of the forest. The citizens think that whatever is causing this pestilence, it's coming from here."
"...so this mission of yours is so important that you can't tell me about it, but you can drop it to help out a bunch of strangers?"
"Yes."
The mariner sighs. "I do not understand you and yours, I really don't."

---------------------
Here is the roll:
http://orokos.com/roll/342739
E: wait I am an idiot, I forgot that to mention that this is a Look Closely roll and that I get +1 for Sense. I will ask "what can I rely on tohelp me out here?"

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at Nov 11, 2015 around 22:11

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.



Blood +0 | Courage +1 | Grace +2 | Sense +2 | Wisdom -1
Talthe and Pearl

It's been quite some time since Talthe has seen any of the river elves. The meeting was awkward, to say the least. Though old strained ties were put on the backburner somewhat due to the current crisis. He'll help any of the Fellowship who want to visit them underwater as well, though they may not be too happy about having to be kissed by him.

"This is abhorrent. Whether this is the Betrayer's doing or something else entirely we should see if we can help," Talthe agrees, catching up to Raliin and the orc's new companion. "I will go with you."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009


MAGE CURES PLOT


Harbinger
DOOM: +2 [-], Blood: +2 [-], Courage: +0 [-]
Grace: +0 [X], Sense: +1 [-], Wisdom: -1 [X]


I'm going to go ahead and mark my second use of food to heal another damage, assuming the long river ride allows that.
I ponder the seriousness of the plague, though I scarcely claim any sentimentality for the people I long ago left behind, this sickness is still abhorrent to me. Destroying a people by attacking their children? absolute abomination.

I remain silent in thought as I follow the elf alongside the squabbling orc and sailor. My senses alert for anything peculiar...
Look Closely 10
I peer past the surface, beyond light and shape and form and color, until I see the swirling patterns of symbol upon symbol that represent The Word.
What here is not as it appears to be?
What here is a threat or danger to me?
What is going to happen next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



B-1 [ ] | C+2 [ ] | G+0 [ ] | S+2 [ ] | W+1 [ ]

Hanna looks at the pile of gear and bites her lip as the others talk of scouting and searching. "I'll stay here and make sure everything gets unloaded properly, and find us a place to stay until for now." She quickly busies herself with just that, personally carrying much of the Fellowship's gear off the ship herself, and securing lodgings at one of the homelier inns near the shore - a good place to start out from. She keeps her ears and eyes open while she's at it.

Look Closely (+Sense): 2d6+2 12
 What's here that I can use to my advantage?
 Who or what looks like it is hiding something?
 Who or what can I rely on to help me out here?

  • Locked thread