Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The process of getting an artist position at a game studio: Have a good portfolio, apply, if they like your portfolio you'll get an art test and then a phone interview (sometimes these are swapped). If they like your art test, you'll get an on site interview. If you do well at that, the'll offer you a job.

If you refuse to do art tests in the game industry, you will most likely never get a job as an artist. I've been on both sides of the equation of taking art tests and giving art tests. These are never used to create assets that would be used in production. It tends to be a small self contained project where you're given instructions & concept art and told to create an asset. Its a pretty good weeding out tool to see if someone is capable of the skills they show in their portfolio. Its also funny that after a while you see art tests in other people's portfolios that you've also done yourself. Honestly, the more sketchy a job is the least likely they are to have an art test.

I've left working at a studio and now teach full time. Trying to work 40 - 60 hours+ a week and maintain an up to date portfolio (because you can't put in it what you're doing at work because of NDA's!) for when you inevitably come into work one Friday and no longer have a job and have to scramble to start applying to places was too stressful for me. Now I have a guaranteed job with summers off and get paid to stay up to date on industry standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread