Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

studio mujahideen posted:

the FatT one shot is incredible if only for the stable where everyone is based on jay-z listing different monsters in his verse on Monster

Carefully explaining to one of the player characters “no dude the orangutan doesn’t actually wrestle that’s illegal.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm really enjoying the latest season of FaaT. I'm only halfway through the latest episode though so maybe the destruction of three galaxies they're barrelling towards has ended the season as threatened. It's pretty wild they had dueling "my character would not go on that mission/my character would refuse to go on any other mission"s (their table has the same problems some of mine have had which is nice in a way). Luckily they are playing a game that has such splits accounted for.

I'm also re-listening listening to Counter/Weight when I go on walks and I think in my memory I remembered the faction game being much kinder to the players than this current season's faction game . . . but at least so far, actually, they are just indifferent to them and doing their own thing completely. I haven't gotten to where the stakes really turn up yet, but it actually does feel a lot like the current season as far as tone goes, which is a bit more silly than some recent games.

Also in this universe, I really loved the Bluff City car racing game. The racing system is so loving complicated but it has some logic that makes sense and was a fun listen, but I do like crunchy actual plays and this one has a lot of it (which makes the fact that the out-of-car time is just lasers and feelings hacked is funny).

I'm ALSO starting on the Glass Cannon patreon Rise of the Runelords and so far I'm really happy with it. It's the best of the six podcasts I've listened to that try to do that AP although the bar is low.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Rick posted:

I'm ALSO starting on the Glass Cannon patreon Rise of the Runelords and so far I'm really happy with it. It's the best of the six podcasts I've listened to that try to do that AP although the bar is low.

If you get the chance, try out their Quest for the Frozen Flame playthrough, Blood of the Wild. It's really good so far though it's only about 30 episodes in.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

seaborgium posted:

If you get the chance, try out their Quest for the Frozen Flame playthrough, Blood of the Wild. It's really good so far though it's only about 30 episodes in.

Seconding this recommendation. It's my favourite PF2e actual play and one of the best actual plays in general that I've listened to.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Apparently Glass Cannon is switching away from Patreon to their own thing for their podcasts. Not a lot of details yet, but sounds like a bespoke kind of app with different feeds depending on tier. They've already rolled it out to some alpha testers, but they say it'll be expanding fast.

They have so many different shows it kind of makes sense as Patreon isn't really good at doing more than one or two podcasts for a creator.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Isn't the big issue that people (especially nerds who listen to APs) want podcasts on RSS feeds for apps like Podcast Addict.

However as far as I know up until now with some of these APs you sign up for Patreon you get the premium RSS feed, but there's nothing stopping you right now cancelling the Patreon and still using the Patreon RSS feed. They've (GCN) never changed it as far as I am aware.

Of course the downside to moving to your own app is the annoyance for your customers that the feeds are no longer in the good podcast focussed app, now they gotta have a new (worse) app without all the advanced convenience features of Podcast Addict etc and then if 2-3 more podcast shows do it then it get's more difficult so get people to agree to it one app for GCP, one for Find the Path then another for Rude Tails of Magic or whatever.

However they've gotta know how many Patreon feed downloads they are getting versus how many Patreon subs they have, but they gotta balance that with how many people they'll lose if they switch.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 8, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don’t care if they don’t use patreon but if there isn’t an RSS it’s a no go.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Yeah, rss is enough of a universal standard that losing it makes me not want to go through the hassle of getting your stuff.

I can understand moving off Patreon, which isn't quite designed to be a multi feed podcast service, but whatever they're moving to will need to support RSS or it represents a lot of extra work for their users.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I figured this would a huge thing on the GCN reddit but I can't find a thread about it, where did you hear about this change?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

jarlywarly posted:

Isn't the big issue that people (especially nerds who listen to APs) want podcasts on RSS feeds for apps like Podcast Addict.

However as far as I know up until now with some of these APs you sign up for Patreon you get the premium RSS feed, but there's nothing stopping you right now cancelling the Patreon and still using the Patreon RSS feed. They've (GCN) never changed it as far as I am aware.

Of course the downside to moving to your own app is the annoyance for your customers that the feeds are no longer in the good podcast focussed app, now they gotta have a new (worse) app without all the advanced convenience features of Podcast Addict etc and then if 2-3 more podcast shows do it then it get's more difficult so get people to agree to it one app for GCP, one for Find the Path then another for Rude Tails of Magic or whatever.

However they've gotta know how many Patreon feed downloads they are getting versus how many Patreon subs they have, but they gotta balance that with how many people they'll lose if they switch.

That's not the case, Patreon feed literally has your email address you used to sign up in the URL, and when my credit card lapsed and I couldn't be arsed enough to update one of the premium RSS feeds stopped working.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Hughlander posted:

That's not the case, Patreon feed literally has your email address you used to sign up in the URL, and when my credit card lapsed and I couldn't be arsed enough to update one of the premium RSS feeds stopped working.

So the RSS feed I got from Patreon and added to Podcast Addict is unique has my email encoded in it?

I just checked it and yes it's linked to Patreon auth. So I really hope this new system still allows them to have authorised RSS feeds.

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 8, 2023

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

jarlywarly posted:

So the RSS feed I got from Patreon and added to Podcast Addict is unique has my email encoded in it?

If it's a private feed the URL should end with something like ?auth=blahblahblah, or it possibly parsed that into some kind of authentication method. Check in the feed configuration.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If it's a private feed the URL should end with something like ?auth=blahblahblah, or it possibly parsed that into some kind of authentication method. Check in the feed configuration.

I just checked and it does, thanks for the clarification.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

jarlywarly posted:

I figured this would a huge thing on the GCN reddit but I can't find a thread about it, where did you hear about this change?

One of their shows is Cannon Fodder, where two of the founders talk about news coming up and where they hosed up the rules for some of their latest episodes. The episode yesterday they said it was in alpha, and they just opened up to more people. There's a lot of discussion in the discord, but since it's still alpha they're keeping some of the details private for the near future.

And it sounds like they'll have something like an RSS feed, but no super detailed stuff yet. Part of the alpha is making sure it works with the common apps like Spotify and Podcast addict and all of those. Sounds like there will be an RSS feed of some sort.

If I get into the beta I'll say something in this thread.

There's definitely RSS feeds, there's a lot of shows and it looks like they wanted to have the ability to have multiple RSS feeds which Patreon doesn't do as well.

seaborgium fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 8, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Yeah if it works with other podcast apps then it's fine. And Patreon not supporting multiple different feeds is whack too, and they take too big a cut.

I get the hesitation from the community though because everyone already lived through the 2010s when podcasts first started going premium and everyone had the idea of putting their premium shows on an app. It was fine at first but they always inevitably weren't able to keep up stability with the amount of users, or keep the app up to date (especially to deal with yearly changes to ios), or to safely and successfully accept payment as time marched on, and they never got to stop yelling at their audience who just wanted a feed to plug into their normal podcast app. Very much a juice not worth the squeeze sort of thing. It in the end added a lot of overhead that just didn't work for anyone.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, if they want to do their own billing/feed setup, that's fine. if they want me to install another app on my phone they can gently caress off.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

malkav11 posted:

Yeah, if they want to do their own billing/feed setup, that's fine. if they want me to install another app on my phone they can gently caress off.

So far it's same as using patreon, you just pop the RSS into whatever app but you get it from a different place than patreon.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Yo the last like 5 FaaT episodes have been loving killer. Wild poo poo constantly

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m still of the opinion that it’s infinitely more enjoyable to play TTRPGs than it is to watch or listen to them. Something about watching some old greybeard DM drone on about uninteresting crap then go silent for a solid 30 seconds trying to look up the rules or fix their VTT after one of the players does some random half-attentive bullshit in a really bad accent bores the piss out of me. If I hear “um………..yeah I’m going to uh………………..gimme a sec…..[breathes heavily into mic] uhhhh what color is the horse?” one more time and it’s not my job to pay attention I’ll loving explode I swear.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
okay

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

yea

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I’m still of the opinion that it’s infinitely more enjoyable to play TTRPGs than it is to watch or listen to them. Something about watching some old greybeard DM drone on about uninteresting crap then go silent for a solid 30 seconds trying to look up the rules or fix their VTT after one of the players does some random half-attentive bullshit in a really bad accent bores the piss out of me. If I hear “um………..yeah I’m going to uh………………..gimme a sec…..[breathes heavily into mic] uhhhh what color is the horse?” one more time and it’s not my job to pay attention I’ll loving explode I swear.

Who hurt you? :(

And this might not be the best thread for you then unfortunately.

I'd also argue any AP that leaves any of that in isn't a very good AP.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Livestreams and VODs mostly :mad:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Hughlander posted:

Who hurt you? :(

And this might not be the best thread for you then unfortunately.

I'd also argue any AP that leaves any of that in isn't a very good AP.

I agree that Pollyanna is not listening to the right TTRPG APs because I’ve listened to quite a few at this point and I also wouldn’t tolerate a bunch of inconsequential ums and ahs. Tight editing is essential imo.

Listen to NADDPOD.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kinda bounced off that suggestion unfortunately, though that was years ago.

I wish I knew how to describe the kind of energy and comedy I’d like to see out of APs. I’d kill for something between very early TAZ and the Snapcube Sonic Adventure/‘06 dub. Literally the closest recent example was the Baldur’s Gate 3 oneshot.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Vagabong posted:

Yo the last like 5 FaaT episodes have been loving killer. Wild poo poo constantly

I'm only halfway through this most recent episode, but the theorycrafting to try and make things happen is just the best. When even Keith is like "there is no way you can read the rules like that", you know poo poo is getting wild. Love both sides of the game. Love them all.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Vagabong posted:

Yeah agreed, it's been really good, up there with the best stuff they've ever done.

Deathlove posted:

I'm only halfway through this most recent episode, but the theorycrafting to try and make things happen is just the best. When even Keith is like "there is no way you can read the rules like that", you know poo poo is getting wild. Love both sides of the game. Love them all.

I cracked up when that happened.

Rick fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 18, 2023

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I might actually listen to Actual Plays if they weren’t so similar to actually actually playing a game. That is to say, I’d like less of a glib “friends hanging out” vibe and more of a commitment to the fiction

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Basic Chunnel posted:

That is to say, I’d like less of a glib “friends hanging out” vibe and more of a commitment to the fiction

Aren't most of the biggest AP's (like Critical Role or Dimension 20) mostly exactly that, with varying degrees of focus on making the fiction inherently comedic?

Again plugging Pretending to be People though, since it ticks both the "friends hanging out" and commitment "commitment to the fiction" boxes basically perfectly for me.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Drone posted:

Aren't most of the biggest AP's (like Critical Role or Dimension 20) mostly exactly that, with varying degrees of focus on making the fiction inherently comedic?

Again plugging Pretending to be People though, since it ticks both the "friends hanging out" and commitment "commitment to the fiction" boxes basically perfectly for me.
I want to avoid the comedic bit, shoulda been more specific about that. My bad!

Friends at the Table would seem to be the thing but I’m also not into marathon World Building. I want the game and the scene more than I want opera. I’m probably just up a creek in that regard.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Like on the one hand, if someone told me, "here listen to this AP that you've never heard of before" odds are that the experience would be like Chunnel or Pollyanna had so I don't think they're saying things that are that weird. But there's also a lot of good stuff out there, too much for one person to listen to.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

Friends at the Table would seem to be the thing but I’m also not into marathon World Building. I want the game and the scene more than I want opera. I’m probably just up a creek in that regard.

I wonder if you might like something like Six Feats Under, Party of One, or One Shot. SFU has seasons of stuff, but they're shorter than FaTT. One Shot is generally a one shot broken up into three or four one-hour-long chunks and Party of One is a different game and setting every week.

Rick fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 18, 2023

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I’ll check those out, thank you!

In terms of stuff I’m curious about just to see how the game handles (ie, hangout vibes allowed,) are there any APs that made good use of the Sprawl hack for PBtA?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm assuming you know about the FaTT season.

https://www.partyofonepodcast.com/game/tmp-5cij6tq1xa85ldw/

It's not the most normal play of the Sprawl but I thought it was useful while planning the game just to see what it could do

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

In terms of a very earnestly run game, I really like Eric Vulgaris' Pendragon grand campaign. It's not as if they're always in character, but there's definitely a commitment to the fiction.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ0snHDJGuC3_3xH9ekp3WIxa7OfITsT4&feature=shared

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Gonna throw out a recommendation for Sorry Honey, I Have to Take This

They're a Delta Green AP that tends to run a lot more indie scenarios and the fun thing is after said scenario they get the creator in for an interview.

For fun mechanics stuff; the players don't know their sanity (which leads to fun times when a character breaks) and only 1 player (out of the 4 on the show) is on their first character....though the character probably wishes they were dead, lmao.

Otherwise all the other "good ap" stuff applies, good music, story, character interactions (despite the deaths/departures which is great), DM, etc.

Also their rolls are loving terrible 90% of the time which is also hilarious.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Basic Chunnel posted:

If you haven't already, I'd try Mayday Roleplay's 'Doomed To Repeat' arc. It can get pretty loving dark (appropriate for the setting and subject matter) but it's amazing if you want commitment to the fiction and characters since it's pretty much 100% in character and incredibly well edited and produced.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Pollyanna posted:

Unfortunately I have pretty much failed to ever successfully organise an trpg in my life, so this makes a pretty good replacement.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Not really what this thread is about, but I figure you guys might know about it: Is there a Youtube channel that presents different systems, takes them apart and reviews them? Kinda like Shut Up and Sit Down, but for RPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There’s a few. Questing Beast, for example, went over Cairn.