Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
Some friends of mine put out a bunch of podcasts on nerdy topics here, including 1 in which we play Fantasy Flight's Edge of The Empire Star Wars roleplaying game. So if anyone is curious what that game is like (it's great) or for those of you who enjoy listening to other people have fun, check out The Whiskey Rebellion. The first episode is a one shot just to introduce the system, we start our campaign proper in Episode III. We make steady improvements to our sound quality over time, so give us a chance.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Tryst going on two dates simultaniously while crossdressing which turns into a third date :vince:

Campaign podcast, never stop :allears:

Edit: "WE'RE GETTING CHURROS!!!!!"

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 6, 2016

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Friends At The Table has been on fire recently. I pretty much laughed for an hour straight when the party met Lazer Ted / Wavy T / Lazy T / Big Laze / etc

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Bad Moon posted:

Tryst going on two dates simultaniously while crossdressing which turns into a third date :vince:

Campaign podcast, never stop :allears:

Edit: "WE'RE GETTING CHURROS!!!!!"

Campaign is absolutely incredible.

"We're librarians what's so hard to understand about this?"

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I would love to start listening to RPPR's Masks play but their website is giving me database errors for almost anything. Are these mirrored anywhere?

e: And now it's fine. :toot:

weekly font fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 18, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Campaign is absolutely incredible.

"We're librarians what's so hard to understand about this?"

The fact that it ended in a genuine argument about the validity of 'librarian' being code for badass Indiana Jones types to some cultures was the best.

"He's using Indiana Jones to get you on his side!"

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

weekly font posted:

I would love to start listening to RPPR's Masks play but their website is giving me database errors for almost anything. Are these mirrored anywhere?

e: And now it's fine. :toot:

All of the RPPR sites ahve been down or extremely unreliable since Monday and my host, Bluehost, has no idea when it will be fixed. Latest AP is here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/4813979

Some of our podcasts are mirrored on archive.org https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Role+Playing+Public+Radio%22

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology

xian posted:

Friends At The Table has been on fire recently. I pretty much laughed for an hour straight when the party met Lazer Ted / Wavy T / Lazy T / Big Laze / etc

Lazer Ted's light-up grill and the Kinko's rules basically made my drat night.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Cass and Audy/L&D's reactions to him were priceless, as was Jack's OOC appalled "NO" when someone asked if they could trade him for Orth.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's really good. I was kind of low on the holiday game at first but it ended up doing such a great job for me of establishing the importance of Ibex, the lovable patheticness of Orth, and just the general political tension, and it's made me really invested in everything that has happened since then.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I really like the Holiday game for those reasons and because of how much of an operational Clusterfuck it devolves into.

I felt that way about the Chital game, but it's really supported Audy's character 'growth.'

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm going to be starting an AP podcast in the next couple months. We'll probably mainly do one- or two-shot games (we want to do Shinobigami when the rough rules for that come out, and I may do a short Tenra Bansho game or Golden Sky Stories or something as a test run before that).

We've all played before as we used to be a regular group a couple years ago, but it wasn't playing for other people to listen to.

I've listened to The The Adventure Zone Zone and heard stuff Griffin keeps in mind when he runs his game/podcast, but does anyone here have any other advice for us? I will be the only one who has done any sort of podcasting before.

Also is there anything in particular that people would like to hear? Can't promise we would be able to fulfill those wishes, but it would be nice to have ideas to start with.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We need more Actual Play Paranoia games.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
That is something I bet my group would actually be up for learning. I'll look into it. Where is the best place to start with Paranoia?

e: It actually might be hard with us playing remotely, but I'll try to figure something out to try to do it eventually. Just probably not super soon.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 22, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

xian posted:

I really like the Holiday game for those reasons and because of how much of an operational Clusterfuck it devolves into.

I felt that way about the Chital game, but it's really supported Audy's character 'growth.'

Yeah, definitely! At first it was odd because the last episode ended on a semi-cliff hanger and it seemed like a weird place to diverge, but it was totally the correct time to do that and Im glad they did.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

mikeycp posted:

That is something I bet my group would actually be up for learning. I'll look into it. Where is the best place to start with Paranoia?

e: It actually might be hard with us playing remotely, but I'll try to figure something out to try to do it eventually. Just probably not super soon.

There is a client that was developed specifically for playing Paranoia online. The amount of secret info might make it tricky as a podcast though.

http://rpgvirtualtabletop.wikidot.com/jparanoia

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

malkav11 posted:

There is a client that was developed specifically for playing Paranoia online. The amount of secret info might make it tricky as a podcast though.

http://rpgvirtualtabletop.wikidot.com/jparanoia

Oh that's super cool. Worst case I can do Paranoia specifically as a video thing. It's going to be a backburner project.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Secret info could probably be 'footnoted' in in post to get the listener knowing what they need to know.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

A friend of mine is doing some APs on Youtube. It includes some 'reality show' style voxpop cutaways, which I've found a little unnecessary in their DnD-like game, but it could be interesting in a game loaded with secrets like Paranoia.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

xian posted:

Secret info could probably be 'footnoted' in in post to get the listener knowing what they need to know.

So something like letting listeners know as little as any other player would and then filling them in after the fact? Like doing some sort of postmortem after the scenario/mission/whatever is done?

e:

Roach Warehouse posted:

A friend of mine is doing some APs on Youtube. It includes some 'reality show' style voxpop cutaways, which I've found a little unnecessary in their DnD-like game, but it could be interesting in a game loaded with secrets like Paranoia.

Doing a Paranoia video like a reality show would be dope as hell.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

mikeycp posted:

Doing a Paranoia video like a reality show would be dope as hell.

Doing a Paranoia game like a reality show would be dope as hell.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mikeycp posted:

So something like letting listeners know as little as any other player would and then filling them in after the fact? Like doing some sort of postmortem after the scenario/mission/whatever is done?

More as a way of giving the listeners the info they need for max enjoyment, which might be more than what the players have at a given moment.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

xian posted:

More as a way of giving the listeners the info they need for max enjoyment, which might be more than what the players have at a given moment.

Hmm. This seems like a concept that would need some workshopping before being put into production.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
RolePlaying Public Radio's Patreon just hit a new stretch goal, which means a new line of campaign-based APs. I believe it's going to be a D&D 5e campaign set in Monte Cook's Ptolus.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

gradenko_2000 posted:

RolePlaying Public Radio's Patreon just hit a new stretch goal, which means a new line of campaign-based APs. I believe it's going to be a D&D 5e campaign set in Monte Cook's Ptolus.

Actually the first campaign will be Dresden Files, followed by Armitage Files. Then some other campaign with the word Files in it. The Ptlous campaign is for Patreon backers playing an online game.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

clockworkjoe posted:

Actually the first campaign will be Dresden Files, followed by Armitage Files. Then some other campaign with the word Files in it. The Ptlous campaign is for Patreon backers playing an online game.

Eclipse Phase Files? :haw:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Are there any good APs of any of the Warhammer RPG's (Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader/Only War specifically)?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

clockworkjoe posted:

Cool, thank you for the correction! I know just about nothing about Dresden Files, so this will be a new loreverse for me.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Cool, thank you for the correction! I know just about nothing about Dresden Files, so this will be a new loreverse for me.

You should read The Dresden Files because they're super dope.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Drone posted:

Are there any good APs of any of the Warhammer RPG's (Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader/Only War specifically)?

I don't know about anything longform, but One Shot did a couple Rogue Trader episodes, guest-GMed by JPC who is apparently a secret 40k nerd.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Drone posted:

Have you heard about our Lord and Savior Grey Hunter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?greyhunterlp?playlists

Grey Hunter's new Rogue Trader game (old one has 197 videos :stonk:) is Curse of the Black Sea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2awrBrO48uA

Very sorry I'm not on top of this Grey.

Anyway forum link:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765273

And badass logo

Grey Hunter's original recipe Rogue Trader

Helical Nightmares on page one of this thread posted posted:

Hitting the machine spirits hard -Let's Play Rogue Trader!

Grey Hunter hosts a rotating international cast of homicidal misfits and sociopaths miscreants in search of gold, glory and revenge against their business rival Zurzen in the grimdark future of Warhammer 40K as Rogue Traders. With an amazing 47 episodes their epic saga is completed! To add a cherry on top, there is a Call of Cthulhu one shot.

An audio and video Lets Play.

Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503410

Grey Hunter also hosted an Only War campaign.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 24, 2016

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Helical Nightmares posted:

I think the size of my head just broke my neck.

Very sorry I'm not on top of this Grey.

I should really post my own stuff when I start.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yeah, I was looking for something beyond Grey. Love you as I do, I want more variety!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Drone posted:

Yeah, I was looking for something beyond Grey. Love you as I do, I want more variety!

What! am I not already a good an measurable percentage of your daily/weekly entertainment? and now you crave variety?
You will take your RPG gruel equivalent and like it!

Fandible did some, a while back, but yeah, there are not many people braving the FFG 40k system. Its odd, as the massive spike in viewers I got when Black Sea started was noticable - so there are people out there who really like it, but not many people doing the podcasts.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

It looks like the RRPR links to the New world campaign episodes 2-15 (the ones not on the main RSS) are broken. Just thought you'd like to know Clockworkjoe.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Grey Hunter posted:

It looks like the RRPR links to the New world campaign episodes 2-15 (the ones not on the main RSS) are broken. Just thought you'd like to know Clockworkjoe.

Ugh. Looks like that powerpress changed how it stored URLs in the database between versions so I have to manually fix those ones. Not sure how I can search and replace those entries.

BTW, RPPR is back! Most of our stuff should be online and downloadable on faster servers than ever before!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
:toot:

I heard of a collaborative storygame about cultists working together (ish) in a small town to raise a Great Old One. The game is called Soth. Naturally I had to track down an actual play of the thing.

Also Naturally Soth is for VERY Mature Audiences only.

quote:

Soth: a game of cultists vs investigators

by Steve Hickey Games

In Soth, you play cultists in a small-town, trying to summon a dark god. If you complete three more rituals, Soth will rise. But can you conceal your murderous crimes from family and friends?

Soth is a mix between Breaking Bad and the stories of H.P. Lovecraft.

It’s a noir thriller that uses a diceless system to evaluate how suspicious the cultists are being. You then spend 'Suspicion' to put the cultists under pressure.

Duration: 1-3 sessions
Players: 3-7
Ages: 16+
System: diceless, low-prep, low-complexity

What is Soth youtube trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hhk_Ipt0sE

Preview of Soth : https://pe56d.s3.amazonaws.com/p19ngfkr841tpc1t3vto91iplp737.pdf

Soth website: https://payhip.com/b/Ux9O

The Jank Cast posted a three session Soth adventure. http://jankcast.com/archives/3214

The players were excellent and mature and the game seems to have this biphasic structure, where the beginning half is sort of slow and then things ramp up and go totally off the rails in the third act. The mechanics reinforce this, with the players generating enough heat that in the third act the GM can buy multiple investigators. Also some cultists have hidden agendas which get played or foiled when investigators start crashing down, the ritual sacrifices get more demanding and people throughout the town are getting very suspicious.

Despite all the casual murder, grooming of a target for human sacrifice, and backstabbing; funny enough the most horrifying event was the slow awkward dissolution of a marriage. Brilliantly roleplayed but very very dark.

RPPR started a new branch of podcasts called Tabletop Tales. Currently there are three episodes up of a Dresden Files campaign.

Tom plays a lizardman something, Aaron plays a half-ghost with the most, and Ross plays a teenage Slenderman who is being stalked by the cast of Marble Hornets. Oh and there is a Warden in there someplace.

http://tabletoptales.roleplayingpublicradio.com/

While browsing for more Delta Green stuff I was recommended the youtube channel of the NatOne actual play group.

I was impressed. These guys are professional and quite good.

I've only had the opportunity to watch The Last Stage. The Last Stage is tagged with Delta Green, but in the intro episode the GM makes it very clear the arc of the story is about government funded supernatural investigations broadly and the world is not canonically Delta Green. They are however using the latest Delta Green rules. Frankly this is great because it keeps the players on their toes. Who knows what the GM will throw at them? The episodes are edited somewhat to intersperse after action interviews with agents with the story line. Also the GM deftly handles six players. In general I would say this is two too many players for a good atmospheric horror game, but they execute it well.

Story Arc broad stroke spoilers for The Last Stage.
The later adventures have the Wraith:The Oblivion tag so it looks like the world taking a lot of material from ghosts in classic WoD!

They have also published actual plays with Dread, Fiasco, Delta Green (real Cthulhu version), D&D 5th and FATE.

NatOne youtube (The Last Stage): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

NatOne homepage: http://www.natoneproductions.com/nat-one-presents.html

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

The players were excellent and mature

That's Jank Cast in a nutshell. They're fantastic, a hidden gem in the RPG podcasting landscape, one of the few groups I'd take a chance on listening to APs of "mature content" games like Soth. I can't recommend their APs highly enough, especially their Apocalypse World games, and their round-table discussions are solid too.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Oh my god Evil Campaign is incredible. I don't think I can wait a month for the next one. :allears:

"I hired a 136 string quartet!"
"Say that number again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Oh my god Evil Campaign is incredible. I don't think I can wait a month for the next one. :allears:

"I hired a 136 string quartet!"
"Say that number again."

"So you're saying the music takes up fifteen minutes of the episode?"

"Plus commercials"