Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I have an extremely monotonous job I perform completely alone and huge AP campaigns are the only thing that keeps me sane. I don't even bother listening to one-shots unless there's a possibility they'll turn into a campaign.

That was pretty much me, until the pandemic destroyed my ability to multitask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Long-rear end AP campaigns you say?

(Not one I'm in, just one I follow and enjoy greatly. Exalted 3e, Dragon-blooded campaign, new episodes are streamed live on Mondays if that's your thing.)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I try and split the difference with individual one shots with recurring characters. If you don’t want this group of characters on this adventure it won’t affect the next one that much.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Looking for a recommendation that's a bit different than most....

Is there an AP 5E Podcast with 'Smart' play? I mean something on the opposite side of The Adventure Zone and Dragon Friends where everyone knows the rules of the game and they play effective characters? Not gronad power gamers per say but just after binging a lot of DF I'd like a small break from 3 years as a Paladin, doesn't know that Lay Hands exists, and can cure Poisons.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.

Hughlander posted:

Is there an AP 5E Podcast with 'Smart' play? I mean something on the opposite side of The Adventure Zone and Dragon Friends where everyone knows the rules of the game and they play effective characters? Not gronad power gamers per say but just after binging a lot of DF I'd like a small break from 3 years as a Paladin, doesn't know that Lay Hands exists, and can cure Poisons.

I will go ahead and throw in Encounter Party. Very smart play, tightly edited, with only a few questions regarding rules clarifications. Set in Ravnica and it's a ton of fun.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Hughlander posted:

Not Another D&D Podcast and Dimension 20's AP campaigns are full of competent and knowledgeable players, especially Emily Axford. She's very very Good At D&D.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Not Another D&D Podcast and Dimension 20's AP campaigns are full of competent and knowledgeable players, especially Emily Axford. She's very very Good At D&D.

I was going to mention both of these as well. They're definitely more joke-centric, and they both occasionally ignore some rules in favor of the Rule of Cool, but both shows don't mind getting crunchy, especially with high level play. The DM of NADDPOD specifically has absolutely no problem telling his players no, and I love that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Glass Cannon shows are all crunchy and the rules are pretty tightly enforced. I am not sure if the player level of expertise is what you are looking for.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Rick posted:

Glass Cannon shows are all crunchy and the rules are pretty tightly enforced. I am not sure if the player level of expertise is what you are looking for.

They were the first ones that came to mind when the question asker asked about tightly following the rules, but unfortunately they play Pathfinder and Starfinder, not DnD 5e.

They've dipped into some other systems in their "New Game, Who Dis?" series on Twitch & YouTube, but if they've ever played DnD 5e publicly, I'm not aware of it

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

timp posted:

They were the first ones that came to mind when the question asker asked about tightly following the rules, but unfortunately they play Pathfinder and Starfinder, not DnD 5e.

They've dipped into some other systems in their "New Game, Who Dis?" series on Twitch & YouTube, but if they've ever played DnD 5e publicly, I'm not aware of it

They did a quick 5E run through 3 months ago with Anne DM'ing it's a patreon only series tho

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I'll check out the recommendations but while I'm only maybe 3/4ths through the first NADPOD campaign, it would up to the point I am be in the other camp, the times where Moonshine doesn't rage or doesn't take half damage when she does rage would erke me. (And again that's the problem from Dragon Friends why I was looking for something abit different, 2 campaigns with 2 Barbarians mostly taking full damage the whole time, or the # of times Freezo forgets what's a concentration spell after 5 years of playing. Or I'm not sure that I can ever recall the NADPOD S1 Paladin ever using Channel Divinity though I haven't listened for a few months.)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

timp posted:

I was going to mention both of these as well. They're definitely more joke-centric, and they both occasionally ignore some rules in favor of the Rule of Cool, but both shows don't mind getting crunchy, especially with high level play. The DM of NADDPOD specifically has absolutely no problem telling his players no, and I love that.

The intros of NADDPOD S2 degenerating into meaningless honking is incredibly dumb and silly, and I am extremely on board with it.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
If you're OK with Pathfinder I quite liked the "Band of Bravos" streams the publisher did during lockdowns last year. It's a pretty loose and silly campaign, but the GM is the Director of Game Design at Paizo and half the players are designers working on the system so they're very comfortable with how it all works. It's Pathfinder, so it's even if they're not being very strict RAW it's going to be a pretty crunchy, combat-heavy thing.

The half of the party that aren't designers working on the system do some, uh, tactically questionable things on occasion and the campaign starts a little slow. It takes a couple of episodes for everyone to get into things as usual, in all I thought it really picked up and found its tone by the time they got their prison riot going.

Anyhow, it's a nice, self-contained little campaign and the GM does a very good stoned boggart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMVbWD9WKXg

I've tried to watch some of the other "official" Paizo adventure streams since and they haven't been as good. Not even the one with the pro-wrestling team in space. Alas.

braybray
Feb 28, 2021
I personally enjoy Find the Path, which is a Pathfinder 1e and 2e series of podcasts. The crew there are nice and know the rules very well, but I saw some folks in the thread giving their two cents about it earlier and not everyone will like it. It's very rules-intensive, so if you don't know the system at all you might get lost early on. "Why are they rolling knowledge (religion) checks when fighting the mummy?" and so on. Also, they exclusively play published material from Paizo, so if you're into homebrew settings it's not for you.

The good is that the editing is really nice, with each episode usually being between 45 and 90 minutes of roleplay. The initial episodes do have some weirdness, figuring out characters and all that, but it improves greatly. Players don't talk over each other, and background audio is cut nicely. I couldn't listen to CritRole on account of the difficulty I had listening to the audio, but here it's extremely crisp and smooth. There are three ongoing campaigns, two of which are free, and one of which is locked behind their $5 patreon tier. Mummy's Mask, an adventure path set in Paizo's not-egypt setting, is the main adventure with over 100 episodes, and is currently in book 4 of 6. Tyrant's Grasp, a gothic survival horror adventure involving death and the afterlife, is the Patreon-exclusive adventure. Hell's Rebels is the newest adventure, and is set in the demon-worshipping empire of Cheliax, where a city is beginning to ramp up into a full-scale rebellion. The HR campaign is also a homebrew conversion to 2nd edition, and seems to be going swimmingly.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
Finally had time to edit the next episode of my group's Forbidden Lands campaign. I wish I could be happier with less editing of the raw recordings, as I find it hard to find the time.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

braybray posted:

I personally enjoy Find the Path, which is a Pathfinder 1e and 2e series of podcasts. The crew there are nice and know the rules very well, but I saw some folks in the thread giving their two cents about it earlier and not everyone will like it. It's very rules-intensive, so if you don't know the system at all you might get lost early on. "Why are they rolling knowledge (religion) checks when fighting the mummy?" and so on. Also, they exclusively play published material from Paizo, so if you're into homebrew settings it's not for you.

The good is that the editing is really nice, with each episode usually being between 45 and 90 minutes of roleplay. The initial episodes do have some weirdness, figuring out characters and all that, but it improves greatly. Players don't talk over each other, and background audio is cut nicely. I couldn't listen to CritRole on account of the difficulty I had listening to the audio, but here it's extremely crisp and smooth. There are three ongoing campaigns, two of which are free, and one of which is locked behind their $5 patreon tier. Mummy's Mask, an adventure path set in Paizo's not-egypt setting, is the main adventure with over 100 episodes, and is currently in book 4 of 6. Tyrant's Grasp, a gothic survival horror adventure involving death and the afterlife, is the Patreon-exclusive adventure. Hell's Rebels is the newest adventure, and is set in the demon-worshipping empire of Cheliax, where a city is beginning to ramp up into a full-scale rebellion. The HR campaign is also a homebrew conversion to 2nd edition, and seems to be going swimmingly.
Listening to this now, does the GM ever change the odd phrasing ie 'you would see the spider' ?

serpentcrown
Jul 26, 2007

jarlywarly posted:

Listening to this now, does the GM ever change the odd phrasing ie 'you would see the spider' ?

Yeah, he gets over it once he gets feedback about how odd it is. Rick also mispronounces words that he's only read but hasn't heard pronounced (like scimitar) but corrects himself once it is drawn to his attention.
The funny thing is that his player have all internalized that "you would see..." construction and occasionally slip into it themselves.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
In defiance of history and probability, I actually managed to get another new episode out this week. This time part of our Zweihander Ravenloft campaign. It took me a long time to get around to finishing this, because the audio file for my microphone was corrupted and there was no audio for me for the majority of the recording. I managed to work around it, somewhat inelegantly, but hey at least it wasn't totally lost.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

jarlywarly posted:

They did a quick 5E run through 3 months ago with Anne DM'ing it's a patreon only series tho

Its on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFHz47i0AS0, and the newest New Game, Who Dis? series (Cyberpunk Red, Tales From the Loop, Call of Cthulhu, and Alien RPG) have all been uploaded to youtube as well, but the older ones, and their ongoing Delta Green series are patreon only still.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Bugsy posted:

Its on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFHz47i0AS0, and the newest New Game, Who Dis? series (Cyberpunk Red, Tales From the Loop, Call of Cthulhu, and Alien RPG) have all been uploaded to youtube as well, but the older ones, and their ongoing Delta Green series are patreon only still.

Yeah GCN seems to being having a bit of video push you can get these videos for free on YT but they are only on podcasts for Patreon $10 (I have a $5) I prefer the podcast as I listen while walking mostly.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It's pretty easy to pull audio from Youtube videos and listen that way - when I still worked in the office and couldn't just listen to the videos directly I was doing that on the regular for various streamer Actual Plays. Obviously supporting them financially when given the option is a good thing, though.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

serpentcrown posted:

Yeah, he gets over it once he gets feedback about how odd it is. Rick also mispronounces words that he's only read but hasn't heard pronounced (like scimitar) but corrects himself once it is drawn to his attention.
The funny thing is that his player have all internalized that "you would see..." construction and occasionally slip into it themselves.

Cool yeah it seems to be less now I'm a bit further in, new question do they ever turn off the weapon sounds during combats listening to them talk over the same annoying sword on armour clinks is pretty annoying. I like everything else about this podcast though.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Roleplaying Public Radio's Caleb Stokes has started a new Delta Green campaign :toot:

It's called Sanguine Thorn and Ross actually gets to play! :neckbeard:

http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2021/03/systems/call-of-cthulhu/delta-green/delta-green-sanguine-thorn-part-1/

quote:

A body has been found in the water in Heather Creek, Alaska. by morning kayakers. The body has been ID’d as Abiba Al-Hawaryat, a member of Boko Haram. He’s a CIA asset that was last seen in the Sahel region of North Africa, mere hours before his decayed body was reported as washed up in an Alaskan tourist town. . A team of agents travels to northwestern Alaska to determine how the man came to die there and who was responsible.

This is a preview of Caleb’s upcoming Patreon, Dead Channels. It goes live at the end of May.

Also the Glass Cannon Network released an important video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ToKtYeOO6Q

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Wherever this thread hides it's phylactery, it's a good spot.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
thread, rise from your grave to answer a deeply important question I'm too lazy to sift through youtube/google searches for.

Any good Star Trek Adventure actual plays (I'd especially love a campaign, considering the format of the game and all, but oneshots are good too) out there?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

thread, rise from your grave to answer a deeply important question I'm too lazy to sift through youtube/google searches for.

Any good Star Trek Adventure actual plays (I'd especially love a campaign, considering the format of the game and all, but oneshots are good too) out there?

The one I can think of off the top of my head was Shield of Tomorrow, which was on Geek and Sundry's site when I think they were trying to go hard on APs. Pretty sure it's all on YouTube now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09zD7OyRCkM

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Relatively new and behind a $10 pay wall but The Glass Cannon podcast has started a Star Trek Adventures oneshot in their New Game Who Dis? podcast.

https://glasscannonnetwork.com/podcasts/new-game-who-dis/

quote:

Episode • April 5, 2021
In the first episode of Star Trek Adventures, Skid takes Matthew and special guests Alicia Marie, Kate Stamas and Erik Mona through character creation to craft the careers and backstories of a brand new Starfleet bridge crew as they prepare to head into the unknown.

The podcast of this episode is available to our $10 Premium Audio Patreon subscribers

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

The one I can think of off the top of my head was Shield of Tomorrow, which was on Geek and Sundry's site when I think they were trying to go hard on APs. Pretty sure it's all on YouTube now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09zD7OyRCkM

One of the most surreal experiences of my life was walking into a downtown burrito joint and on all the TVs is...a bunch of nerds playing a Star Trek RPG. I'm reasonably sure it was Shield of Tomorrow.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Relatively new and behind a $10 pay wall but The Glass Cannon podcast has started a Star Trek Adventures oneshot in their New Game Who Dis? podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of6gvux_HYQ

You can listen to this for free on their Youtube channel. Everything that's added at the $10 tier goes up on Youtube for free pretty quickly.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

sexpig by night posted:

There are a bunch, but the main game(s) in town seem to be run by a dude called ELH. He's very prolific on Youtube with a ton of different long-lasting series -- pick the era you want and he's probably got something for you. Crew-wise I think Fenrir is probably a good starting point, as that group seems to gel really well together and have a couple spinoff series. I think it's also the first series in his house campaign setting.

That being said.... he definitely gets just a little Piss Foresty when it comes to large-breasted anime monster chicks adorning his channel art. It doesn't really seep into his games at all though, it's just one of those things where dude seems to not get/not care that injecting your fantasy to that degree into your Online Brand (tm) maybe turns some people off -- personally I'm not bothered by it, but I can see where some might be. I've played in a game of his and had a lot of fun, would totally do it again... he's a good GM and a generally really friendly guy who knows the system extremely well.

Another one I found recently and that has some surprisingly great production values is Star Trek: Tempest, but it was unfortunately very short-lived.

Drone fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 9, 2021

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Helical Nightmares posted:

Erik’s character for this is loving great. It’s a great cast in general, but I’m so excited to hear his person navigate Starfleet.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
oh yea, I always meant to finish Shield of Tomorrow, I got distracted like half through my watch ages ago, should probably just do that. I also completely somehow missed Glass Cannon started a show for it despite being a patron, so there's a nice surprise. I'll check out that ELH dude too, seems like a pretty nice assortment of games and yea I don't really care either way about the anime vtuber avatar as long as every other game doesn't involve The Forest Of Big Tiddy Monster Girls Who Can Only Be Defeated By Engaging In My Specific Fetish

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Not really a podcast though I've converted episodes to MP3s to listen to as a podcast but I'm enjoying Exalted 3e: Crimes of Nature on A_Raving_Loon's twitch and YouTube channel. It takes a few episodes to get into a groove but I deeply enjoy the adventures of five Dragonblooded and an Old Man running around kicking beehives in an independent patch of land with a bunch of smaller kingdoms and a lot of problems while having to grapple with their own traumas and upbringings and bad habits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Fivc8174s

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Drone posted:

That being said.... he definitely gets just a little Piss Foresty when it comes to large-breasted anime monster chicks adorning his channel art. It doesn't really seep into his games at all though, it's just one of those things where dude seems to not get/not care that injecting your fantasy to that degree into your Online Brand (tm) maybe turns some people off -- personally I'm not bothered by it, but I can see where some might be. I've played in a game of his and had a lot of fun, would totally do it again... he's a good GM and a generally really friendly guy who knows the system extremely well.

It was a little eyebrow raising and would have made wonder just what game he was going to run if I didn't know beforehand. It does seem fine otherwise?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Old Man is a national treasure

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
https://io9.gizmodo.com/jeff-goldblum-is-doing-a-dungeons-dragons-podcast-wh-1846781705

Oh hey! That's kinda-

quote:

Dark Dice is an Actual Play podcast created using the 5th edition rules of Dungeons and Dragons. Dialogue with NPC's has been replaced with a full voice cast and immersive sound effects create an added layer of immersion.

Story by Travis Vengroff (Game Master)

Produced, Co-Edited, and with Sound Design by Travis Vengroff

quote:

Travis Vengroff (born January 20, 1987) is an American sound designer, musician, writer, producer, actor, and podcaster best known for his work on the podcasts The White Vault, VAST Horizon, Liberty, and Dark Dice.[2] He has managed low-income apartment housing for over a decade,[3] and serves on the Board of Directors of Vengroff Williams, Inc., one of the world's largest debt collection agencies.[4]

https://www.bradenton.com/news/coronavirus/article241521731.html

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I was browsing Wikipedia recently and I came across a dude who did a HUGE amount of anime dub VA work and also turned out to be a pedophile big surprise, amirite?.

Nothing you like is safe.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KillHour posted:

I was browsing Wikipedia recently and I came across a dude who did a HUGE amount of anime dub VA work and also turned out to be a pedophile big surprise, amirite?.

Nothing you like is safe.

I like your posts?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I like your posts?

oh poo poo what nooo you cursed me :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Star Trek Adventures GM ELH has moved from using pictures of his favorite monster girls to open his streams to using one of those VTuber rigs to GM as said monster girl. It's fine. A little odd in tone for Star Trek but they should do them.