Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Arthil posted:

So... I'm kind of curious if there's any place to talk about like, video-based gaming shows. Or would that fall under "Actual Play" as well?

Cause I've been wanting to gush about L.A. by Night for a while now. I've no experience with any White Wolf game whatsoever, but the story has been enthralling(ahah!) and being able to piece together the mechanics of the game as the episodes go on has been great.

People talk about Critical Role here and shows on youtube so gush away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Helical Nightmares posted:

People talk about Critical Role here and shows on youtube so gush away!

Excellent!

Everyone has been fantastic on the show but Jasper, played by Alexander Ward has just been The Best. The little mannerisms he keeps, the reactions he has to others at the table. Much like with Taliesin and CritRole I almost feel compelled to rewatch an episode he's in just to focus on him for his reactions.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Speaking of Vampire the Masquerade there is a good streamed/youtube show I recommend called Blood on the Thames.

https://www.twitch.tv/bloodonthethames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9i3SeRLTMA

There are 8 episodes so far from this UK group and the show has a very spooky Londoner flavor. The Storyteller is very good, he ratchets up the tension slowly; there was this one scene where Benjamin (a clan Malkavian painter) presents his painting to his sire, an art critic, and it was spookier and more subtly disturbing than you would expect. The first episode is actually their second; it was eaten by technical difficulties. I recommend giving the first episode about an hour to mature. It took that long to get through the Londoner faffing about and hook me with the main plot(s).

The Player of the character Katia in Blood on the Thames recommends a D&D fifth edition podcast called Dugons and Sea Dragons. This podcast is unique because the players and DM are all marine biologists. I haven't reviewed the episodes at the moment but surely marine biology and D&D is someone's cup of tea.

https://twitter.com/DugongsD/status/1035126768133439489

https://dugongsandseadragons.weebly.com/

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Last year and this year at GenCon, the Campaign Podcast did live shows. Are they a Patreon exclusive or something? I was never able to find 2017s and I've heard nothing about 2018.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Helical Nightmares posted:

Speaking of Vampire the Masquerade there is a good streamed/youtube show I recommend called Blood on the Thames.

https://www.twitch.tv/bloodonthethames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9i3SeRLTMA

There are 8 episodes so far from this UK group and the show has a very spooky Londoner flavor. The Storyteller is very good, he ratchets up the tension slowly; there was this one scene where Benjamin (a clan Malkavian painter) presents his painting to his sire, an art critic, and it was spookier and more subtly disturbing than you would expect. The first episode is actually their second; it was eaten by technical difficulties. I recommend giving the first episode about an hour to mature. It took that long to get through the Londoner faffing about and hook me with the main plot(s).

The Player of the character Katia in Blood on the Thames recommends a D&D fifth edition podcast called Dugons and Sea Dragons. This podcast is unique because the players and DM are all marine biologists. I haven't reviewed the episodes at the moment but surely marine biology and D&D is someone's cup of tea.

https://twitter.com/DugongsD/status/1035126768133439489

https://dugongsandseadragons.weebly.com/

these are two very good things

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So after finding The Magpies podcast I now gotta know if there are any more solid rear end Blades in the Dark actual plays out there.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Gonna be the first to recommend Marielda from Friends At The Table, it’s super solid.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh yea I fell off Friends at the Table for a bit, didn't know they did Blades

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

So after finding The Magpies podcast I now gotta know if there are any more solid rear end Blades in the Dark actual plays out there.

I've listened to the first three or so episodes of RollPlay: Blades and they were pretty good. John Harper, the creator of Blades in the Dark, is the DM and the crew are a bunch of assassins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNzpg-qdZ0g

It looks like RollPlay: Blades doesn't have a formal end according to this: https://community.itmejp.com/t/rollplay-blades-update-7-25/1747

However the episodes I listened to were well roleplayed and fun.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

He's also got his own channel with 2 campaigns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsmw4wC7iOE

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

He's also got his own channel with 2 campaigns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsmw4wC7iOE

There's just the one - not sure what you're seeing as a second campaign. And it also doesn't actually end, just stops abruptly. But both the one on Harper's channel and the RollPlay campaign are very good in different ways until their unceremonious stopping points. (They're even lightly linked to each other, complete with a cameo from Adam Koebel in the RollPlay game.)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I may have asked this before but with my group getting the new edition and all I've got the hankering again, are there any solid L5R actual plays out there? I know One Shot had a very good couple sessions and I keep meaning to get into Shadows of the West, but are there any other good ones?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

I may have asked this before but with my group getting the new edition and all I've got the hankering again, are there any solid L5R actual plays out there? I know One Shot had a very good couple sessions and I keep meaning to get into Shadows of the West, but are there any other good ones?

I did some poking around and couldn't find anything. Everything I saw was for the LCG. I didn't even know about Shadows In The West so thanks for point that out.

Rude_Dude
Jun 2, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

Shadow of the Cabal started L5R podcast on the RPG Academy Network - they did a 2nd campaign in Night's Black Agents and are currently playing Genesys, but I know the DM is a huge L5R fan and they may return to it in the future..

Also re: Blades in the Dark AP - I edit Tales from Mauxferry and think it's pretty great! A nice group of players with lots of chemistry from old friendships, and they try to explain how the game works as they play it as well.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Some of the one shots would a good chance to get a vibe for them. I remember liking Retail Magic and Wide World Wrestling.

I wound up grinding through Let’s Play 13A at 1.5x speed during a summer’s worth of lawn mowing but YMMV.

Retail Magic is one of my all time favorite APs period.

I really enjoy Mouse Guard but I've fallen hopelessly behind.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Rick posted:

Retail Magic is one of my all time favorite APs period.

I really enjoy Mouse Guard but I've fallen hopelessly behind.

Well have I got something for you! Here's the plot and a few favorite moments of our 1148 campaign condensed into 70 minutes, with 1149 scheduled to start soon: http://www.sixfeatsunder.com/episode/mouse-guard-1148/

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
The fourth episode of my group's first Zweihander adventure is now available. It is the final episode of this adventure.

We've got more Zweihander coming up soon. We will finally get to Ravenloft in the next set of episodes---spoilers: there's way more singing than there is vampires.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Are there any good Starfinder APs that aren't Dead Suns? My group and I are actually meshing with SF well but it seems most actual plays are just using Dead Suns to go through. Not a terrible adventure path or anything but it is a little samey listening to like three podcasts do the same story.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
A new episode of Nights of the Shed is out now. It is part one of our play-through of a conversion of the Ravenloft module Feast of Goblyns, played using Zweihander.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Got pointed to this in a Chapo thread and holy crap is it good.

http://criticalbitcast.libsyn.com/

Critical Bits, a Masks AP 'cast that's already really funny and fun to listen to despite being just 5 episodes old.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Saving Throw Show's Wildcards RPG is starting a brand new game after finishing their excellent Deadlands game and using the new Adventure Edition of Savage Worlds and running the East Texas University (for the unfamiliar, it's sort of like 'Eerie Indiana Goes to College') and features a character who comes from what I can only describe as a Lovecraftian Amish community.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/366178536

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Arthil posted:

Excellent!

Everyone has been fantastic on the show but Jasper, played by Alexander Ward has just been The Best. The little mannerisms he keeps, the reactions he has to others at the table. Much like with Taliesin and CritRole I almost feel compelled to rewatch an episode he's in just to focus on him for his reactions.

The more I watch Critical Role (I watch off-and-on), the more I wish they weren't so.. locked.. into d&d for their system. Like I understand why they started with it (hey lets go play d&d with my friends), and why they went with 5e (lets reduce complexity for the viewers by like 100x), but man the system just gets in the way so much. Matt does a great job DM'ing it, but you can see him basically just ignore the system half the time and wing it in ways that make sense.

Moving to a different system would definitely be some sort of between-seasons sort of thing, but I'd love to see them play a system that didn't hamstring half the things that make the show good.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

ZypherIM posted:

The more I watch Critical Role (I watch off-and-on), the more I wish they weren't so.. locked.. into d&d for their system. Like I understand why they started with it (hey lets go play d&d with my friends), and why they went with 5e (lets reduce complexity for the viewers by like 100x), but man the system just gets in the way so much. Matt does a great job DM'ing it, but you can see him basically just ignore the system half the time and wing it in ways that make sense.

Moving to a different system would definitely be some sort of between-seasons sort of thing, but I'd love to see them play a system that didn't hamstring half the things that make the show good.

Gonna be honest, the intense D&Dness of it is a big chunk of why I got about five episodes in and bailed. (That and the cast being way too big to keep track of and the part where they're starting mid-campaign...one of these days I should check out the second campaign, which shouldn't have that issue.)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

sexpig by night posted:

Got pointed to this in a Chapo thread and holy crap is it good.

http://criticalbitcast.libsyn.com/

Critical Bits, a Masks AP 'cast that's already really funny and fun to listen to despite being just 5 episodes old.

Started this and god it's so funny. The shithead little brother is an all-time character.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

ZypherIM posted:

Given how their sponsors tend to be, well, D&D related. I don't think that's ever going to happen. As for when they started, their home game was actually Pathfinder and there's small things in Season 1 which are clearly brought over from there like Vax's blink dagger belt, the earrings and of course Matt trying his best to pull the Gunslinger over into 5E(reflavoring Battlemaster would've been better).

I could see the gang doing other systems as one-shots or small little 5-6 episode campaigns like LA by Night. But it's hard to say. So far all the one-shots have been either D&D, or Honey Heist/Crash Pandas.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Reddit recently had a thread which seems to have had some circulation about whether or not CR was giving new players unreasonable expectations of DnD.

What’s odd is that the post only said that they were posting Geek and Sundry videos on RPing and wanted to use CR’s resurrection rules, but because he called it the Matt Mercer effect it apparently blew up. Plus Mercer himself wrote a comment saying he was “heartbroken” but with some really either passive aggressive or awkwardly worded statements saying basically “play your own style of DnD, you don’t have to play it like we do if you’re not as good as us”.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

hyphz posted:

Reddit recently had a thread which seems to have had some circulation about whether or not CR was giving new players unreasonable expectations of DnD.

What’s odd is that the post only said that they were posting Geek and Sundry videos on RPing and wanted to use CR’s resurrection rules, but because he called it the Matt Mercer effect it apparently blew up. Plus Mercer himself wrote a comment saying he was “heartbroken” but with some really either passive aggressive or awkwardly worded statements saying basically “play your own style of DnD, you don’t have to play it like we do if you’re not as good as us”.

Here's the quote for the curious:

Matt Mercer posted:

Seeing stuff like this kinda breaks my heart. Regardless, the fact of the matter is our style of play is just that...our style of play. Every table is different, and should be! If they just want to “copy” what we do, that’s not very creative nor what makes the game magic at the table.

I DO believe that it’s important for any gaming group to discuss expectations early into a campaign so everyone can get on the same page and avoid dissonance. However, it’s EVERYONE’S responsibility at the table to provide and add to the experience for everyone to enjoy themselves and the story, not just the DM. As I saw some comments below mention, you want a particular style of game? That level of commitments rests on YOUR shoulders. Consolidate your style and wishes with those of the other players and DM, and somewhere in that unique mix you will find your table’s special style of storytelling.

Need I also remind your players that we are a table of professional actors, and I have been DMing for well over 20 years. We have spent our lives training in particular skills that allow us to get as immersed in the characters as we enjoy doing. Anyone can jump in as deeply, should they wish to, but EXPECTING that immediate level of comfort and interest is unfair and absurd. Do they want a deep, convoluted emotional journey like Scanlan? They better be able to bring it like Sam did. No? Then sit down and just have fun finding your own path. ;)

PLUS, our style isn’t for everyone! Hell, just scan the comments below to see how many folks don’t like us, haha. I’ve played with many different players, ran games of many different styles and focuses, and I can tell you... there is so much fun variety to how a TTRPG can be played, they’re limiting their chances to enjoy it by trying to “play it just like us”.

Anyway, I say the best course is have a very frank conversation with them about these things. Clearly say that your game will feel like YOUR game (meaning you and the players together), and it’s THEIR responsibility to bring to the table what facet they want to see in it. Show them this post, if it helps. In fact, show them this message:

“Guys. Relax. Your DM is kicking rear end, and is doing this for YOUR enjoyment and journey. Appreciate that, listen, build with them, and make this something UNIQUE. Abandon expectations and just have fun together as friends.”

Anyway, so sorry. Things like this are never my intent. It’s a weird, wild west these days. Your gonna be great, friend. <3

Serf
May 5, 2011

most of that seems pretty reasonable imo. like every successful game i've ever run has had the session 0 discussion where we discuss tone, style and expectations

i don't see where he's saying that they're better than anyone else tho, other than acknowledging his own experience and the fact that they all act professionally

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Serf posted:

most of that seems pretty reasonable imo. like every successful game i've ever run has had the session 0 discussion where we discuss tone, style and expectations

i don't see where he's saying that they're better than anyone else tho, other than acknowledging his own experience and the fact that they all act professionally

I suppose if you wanted to - and I know some people want to - you could see Matt going on about everybody being trained actors and him personally having 20 years of DM experience as braggy. I don't think it is, he's just laying out why his group works, but if you squint or are prone to not liking CR for whatever reason there you go. There's a pretty funny story about how nobody in CR were RPing their own characters until finally one session Laura had Vex talk to a merchant in-character. So even with this 'elite group' (and Orion) they took time to get going.

Also, yeah, absolutely, have that session 0 where you make characters and talk about expectations for the game. If your players think everybody is going to spontaneously morph into professional acting people, well, that's kinda on them.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I don't think anything in that post is a problem, and I've never listened to it. (... or watched? Is cr a thing you watch?)

Yes, a table of trained actors and a group of people who are very comfortable with one another will play rpgs really really well.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I guess the bit that struck me as passive aggressive was this:

quote:

Do they want a deep, convoluted emotional journey like Scanlan? They better be able to bring it like Sam did. No? Then sit down and just have fun finding your own path.

If the answer to the first question is Yes, then “have fun finding your own path” reads as “tough you don’t get it”.

I know RpgPundit went on a very silly rant about how the players must be acting because they were “too excited” (this from a design consultant on 5e!). I did watch a bit and it didn’t seem like that, although there were some unnatural conversations that seemed to be following theatrical conventions for keeping characters speaking.

Serf
May 5, 2011

hyphz posted:

I guess the bit that struck me as passive aggressive was this:

If the answer to the first question is Yes, then “have fun finding your own path” reads as “tough you don’t get it”.

I know RpgPundit went on a very silly rant about how the players must be acting because they were “too excited” (this from a design consultant on 5e!). I did watch a bit and it didn’t seem like that, although there were some unnatural conversations that seemed to be following theatrical conventions for keeping characters speaking.

i guess its worded a little weirdly, but the "no" here is in reference to the first sentence, not the second one

and i agree it is strange that a group of actors would be following theatrical conventions during their broadcast entertainment program. really very odd, good catch

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My current favorite AP (which I learned of through this thread) also has a table full of actors - NeoScum.

Go figure, acting and improv skills turn out helpful for a table of RPGers. Who could have guessed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

dwarf74 posted:

My current favorite AP (which I learned of through this thread) also has a table full of actors - NeoScum.

Go figure, acting and improv skills turn out helpful for a table of RPGers. Who could have guessed.

Certainly in my own games I'm never opposed to some "yes, and."

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Serf posted:

and i agree it is strange that a group of actors would be following theatrical conventions during their broadcast entertainment program. really very odd, good catch

Well, I think the issue was more it representing itself as the players just “playing D&D”.

Serf
May 5, 2011

hyphz posted:

Well, I think the issue was more it representing itself as the players just “playing D&D”.

from what i can tell, they are playing D&D

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

This discussion also ties pretty closely to how The Adventure Zone has evolved. RPGs as played are more improvisational and messy than a standard novel or movie and I worry that the rise of actual plays has encouraged this view of applying literary or cinema criticism to a fundamentally different medium. The fandom reactions to TAZ storylines seem to have retracted it into a much more GM narrative focused game, which in turn takes a lot of the stuff that I enjoyed out of it. If people are expecting perfection off the top of your head, they'll be disappointed.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
As APs proliferate, I've definitely decided the "this D&D show is good, let's move it off the D&D system" impulse that fan bases have is not something that always should be necessarily listened to. My easy favorite is Friends at the Table, so I know great shows can come from other systems, so I'm definitely not a D&D system loyalist; I don't think anyone would argue that D&D is perfect but there are tables that it's a better fit for than any other system, and I think the same goes for shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Serf posted:

from what i can tell, they are playing D&D

Sorry. What I mean is out of character dialog like this:

“I can contact him.”
“How? He’s kinda far away.”
“I have a spell I’ve wanted to cast for a while.”
“What is it?”
“It’s called sending.”

Even if we trust that this experienced table doesn’t know the Sending spell, that’s unnatural dialog; a real player would probably just say “I have a spell called Sending that could contact him.” The statement of the obvious (“he’s kinda far away”) and the QnA format with speaker changes is all just unnatural dialog to draw the audience in. Try just saying “I can contact him” and then going quiet waiting for someone to ask a follow up question at a real table and people will probably be rolling their eyes!