Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Pokemon game is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Red Version 10 17.24%
Blue Version 10 17.24%
Yellow Version 6 10.34%
I am a sexually active adult 32 55.17%
Total: 58 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Hello there! Welcome to the GDT of UFC Fight Night 75, 10 p.m. ET Saturday, Sept. 26 on Fox Sports 1! My name is OAK! People call me the UFC PROF!

This card is inhabited by creatures called “quasi-significant midcarders on any other card!” For some people, UFC fighters are a type of entertainment. Others actually watch fights.

Now that you’re 11, you’re ready to dive into the exciting world of a Japanese UFC card on Fox Sports!

Heavyweight

Josh Barnett

Vs.

Roy Nelson

Josh Barnett is a hell of a grappler who, for a brief moment in time, was UFC Heavyweight Champion. This was before a Rare Candy scandal forced him out of the UFC. From there he became a Japanese darling, flexing his grappling chops in a series of successful or competitive Pride bouts. His weaknesses are Grand Prix finals and elbows against the fence. Since getting hosed up by Travis Browne in 2013, he’s been out for a while. One can hope he was training in that time, but most likely he was playing Warhammer and Magic: The Gathering. Other weird Japanese interests include appearing in a Katamari Damacy game.

Roy Nelson also suffered a debilitating knockout loss recently, this time at the hands of Mark Hunt. He probably said and did obnoxious things coaching against Josh Barnett on Japanese TUF Road to the Octagon, but I cannot confirm because I did not watch that poo poo. Nelson is also allegedly a BJJ black belt, but no one can prove this because at most he uses it defensively every five fights. He’s 1-4 in his last five, but every victory since 2007 has come by way of KO. Look for him to spam overhand rights like a 9-year-old spamming Hyper Beam: if the first five don’t do the job, he’s got nothing left.

Middleweight

Gegard Mousasi

vs.

Uriah Hall

Gegard “the Dreamcatcher” Mousasi is an expert at putting people to sleep. This is accomplished either by KO, by submission or by watching one of his decision wins, in equal measure. He’s a very strong fighter but if he is neither challenged to fight outside of his comfort zone nor presented with a clear opportunity to pursue a finish, his fights are incredibly tepid.

Unfortunately for us, Uriah Hall excels at those types of fights. He was hailed as The Next Anderson Silva™ by Dana White on the Ultimate Fighter, but with the sheer ferocity and technical finesse of his wins on the show, many of us actually believed him for a time. However, Hall showed he’s a bit of a headcase who lacks complete confidence in himself as a fighter, and this secret ingredient makes all the difference. If he doesn’t secure a flashy KO early, we can expect a stale fight one way or the other. Will this be the fight where Hall finally evolves into a proper Fighting Type, or will he continue his streak of uneventful decisions against competent fighters?

Flyweight

Kyoji Horiguchi

vs.

Chico Camus

Do you remember when you went into the Fighting Dojo in Red or Blue and faced the final guy and his first dude was Hitmonlee and you thought it was cool as hell? But then his next dude was Hitmonchan and you realized he was actually way better because he knew Fire Punch? Horiguchi is the Hitmonlee to Mighty Mouse’s Hitmonchan. That said, he’s still pretty good. He had some competitive early rounds against Mighty Mouse, which is better than Dodson can really say the second time around. He also has a pretty good number of finishes for a bantam/flyweight, and his only other loss was a majority decision 11 fights ago.

Chico Camus looks like he’s someone who shouldn’t be allowed in a school, and lately he’s fought about as well as he looks when making the cut to 125. They say third time's the charm though, so maybe he’ll pick up a signature win that isn’t “split decision over Flyweight Brad Pickett in 2014.”

Bantamweight

Takeya Mizugaki

vs.

George Roop

If you’re a Mizugaki fan, you’ve been on a wild ride. He made somewhat of a name for himself in B-League circles with some fun fights in Shooto, but once he made it under the Zuffa banners he languished for years, alternating wins for losses. Finally some godawful advice from Miesha Tate gave Mizugaki his first UFC/WEC win streak over Bryan Caraway, and the confidence he gained there bolstered him on a five-fight run, putting him in near vicinity of a title shot in a division a little short of contenders. Then, miraculously, a healthy Dominick Cruz happened. Shortly thereafter, he was Aljamain Sterling'd. Let’s see how he does following up his first losing streak in the UFC.

Onix has a base attack stat of 45, making him as powerful as Butterfree.

Featherweight

Katsunori Kikuno

vs.

Diego Brandao

Kikuno has had some really fun UFC fights, if not any truly “good” ones. His UFC debut against Quinn Mulhern was surprisingly memorable for a Japanese fighter outgrappling an experienced American. He later earned a choke over Sam Sicilia, noted friend of whiny obnoxious weirdos. Oh, he also found himself on the wrong end of Tony Ferguson’s and Kevin Souza’s highlight reels. He has a reasonable number of offensive tools and the ability to go three rounds though, which are all assets against…

Diego Brandao, yet another guy who tricked the fans into feeling he was better than he was by steamrolling the TUF competition. And to be fair, his only losses since Darren Elkins in 2012 have been Poirier and McGregor, which certainly aren’t bad losses to have. He also threatened to stab Poirier through the eye with a pencil, so he probably needs to be put in time out.

FOR THE ROAD TO UFC: JAPAN FEATHERWEIGHT FINAL

Mizuto Hirota

vs.

Teruto Ishihara

Hirota is actually a reasonably established fighter in Japan, and he has even already had a UFC career. He went 0-2 against Rani Yahya and Rodrigo Damm. Despite this, he made it onto the show. I have yet to watch, but I am assuming the UFC brass were simply hoping a somewhat familiar face would boost ratings but he would in turn lose to a younger guy and give that fighter a little hometown name value. It seems that didn’t work out in the company's favor, so Hirota may very well earn a second UFC contract to appear in a few regional shows and lose to anyone midway decent.

I again reiterate that I did not watch this season, but I am blindly confident that Teruto Ishihara mirrors Gen2 psychic type Unown in that he is both shrouded in mystery and incredibly bad.

OTHER poo poo TO WATCH

FOX Sports 2 Prelims, 8 p.m. ET on a channel that does not exist
Welterweight Keita Nakamura vs. Li Jingliang
Lightweight Nick Hein vs. Yusuke Kasuya
Lightweight Naoyuki Kotani vs. Kajan Johnson
Welterweight Shinsho Anzai vs. Roger Zapata
*Note: Kid Yamanoto has suffered an injury and will be unable to fight. As a result, the remaining prelims were moved up and there will be no Fight Pass portion of this card.

Official MMA Snack Rating: Vodka Cherry Pokéballs

Click here to get drunk on nostalgia you goddamn heathens!

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I never played pokemon. That was always like a little kids game to me.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Every picture I see of Barnett is with his shirt on, but his face looks the thinnest it's ever been.

Having said that, he's going to weigh in at 266 or something probably

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

Look for him to spam overhand lefts like a 9-year-old spamming Hyper Beam: if the first five don’t do the job, he’s got nothing left.

Hmm.

According to wikipedia, Barnett won his last pro-wrestling match with a brainbuster, so I hope he hits that against Nelson. That might be against the Unified Rules though, so I will also accept a figure-four, or the scarf hold he submitted Dean Lister with.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

afatwhiteloaf posted:

Hmm.

According to wikipedia, Barnett won his last pro-wrestling match with a brainbuster, so I hope he hits that against Nelson. That might be against the Unified Rules though, so I will also accept a figure-four, or the scarf hold he submitted Dean Lister with.

Whoops! Sorry, lefts must have been on my mind from Hendricks chat in the monthly thread.

Khaal
Mar 22, 2008
Hello, it's me, the only person who has been watching TUF Japan. Which is a shame cos it's actually a good watch, even though all of the fighters are probably bad. Wicky keeps his hands down and hits reasonably hard, he seems like a cool dude to have a beer with. Hirota seems technically decent and claims he has improved since his first UFC run, also his heart burns for revenge and probably isnt someone you would want to have a beer with. That's all i got really. I'm hoping that Wicky wins because he will probably maybe have more entertaining fights.

Feel free to correct me, but i believe the UFC actually spoiled the result of this season by announcing the fighters on the card before uploading the final episodes, i guess they (correctly) assumed that nobody would care.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Josh Barnett's Magic: The Gathering career is going better than everything except Metamoris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zZzZzAuMfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YadkXp7cac

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Khaal posted:

Hello, it's me, the only person who has been watching TUF Japan. Which is a shame cos it's actually a good watch, even though all of the fighters are probably bad. Wicky keeps his hands down and hits reasonably hard, he seems like a cool dude to have a beer with. Hirota seems technically decent and claims he has improved since his first UFC run, also his heart burns for revenge and probably isnt someone you would want to have a beer with. That's all i got really. I'm hoping that Wicky wins because he will probably maybe have more entertaining fights.

Feel free to correct me, but i believe the UFC actually spoiled the result of this season by announcing the fighters on the card before uploading the final episodes, i guess they (correctly) assumed that nobody would care.

I watched TUF Japan, too, so there's at least two of us who have seen it.

Hirota is so salty about getting cut from the UFC that he has negative charisma on the show. I hope Yashabou beats Hirota since he's more likable and his family backstory is straight out of some sad Japanese drama. Either way, unless they make big improvements, all the guys from this season would likely get bounced from the UFC in short order.

The dynamic between the fighters is so different compared to the other versions. Could you imagine anything like Taiki's pre-fight Yukarin cheer being done by the other fighters on any other season? Nobody watched this season, and not too much training was shown, but I thought Josh came off as one of the better TUF coaches.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Barnett looking quite slim and not so Barnett-like at the weigh ins.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Cool card, Imma watch it.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

attackmole posted:

Cool card, Imma watch it.

same. violence, and what not.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
what is this bull poo poo i expected this to air this morning

hrollins
May 20, 2003
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter

Triticum Guzzler posted:

If it wasn't for IRC last night, I think I would've expected the same. 239 for Josh Barnett, wow.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

UFC Fight Night? 75: gently caress Europe

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

All part of the UFC's proud tradition of showing cards that predominantly rely on regional appeal, yet hosting them at awful local times to fill the primetime US slot.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i was positive this was a fight pass card

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I actually was too tbh, which is part of why I had the thread up so late :shrug:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Plans for the evening -

Play Taken King

Go Grocery Shopping

Hang out with Cockatiel

Watch Fights

Cry

Wonder where life has gone

Stare at ceiling and long for times when human contact entailed more than a comedy websites fourm

SOUNDS FUN!

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i was positive this was a fight pass card

man you are all kinds of hosed up when it comes to this card

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

japan cards are cool.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Ready to see many Japanese fighters lose to their superior western counterparts.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Ref staring directly at a two-hand fence grab without mentioning it, off to a great start

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
He broke his finger or not?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
weird poo poo in the first fight? thank you.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
What the gently caress was Zapata doing? He was pushing the ref away acting like nothing happened like he wanted to keep fighting, then all of a sudden he was pacing around like he was injured, then would say NO NO NO LETS GO, then would go back to squirming

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
crazy pen lady is here. we're all good, gang.

Khaal
Mar 22, 2008
He probably thought he had a chance of taking a questionable split decision if he kept going

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Cool broken finger bro.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I think this is the first fighter they didn't even bother making gear for. He just got a generic fight kit.

Oh wait his name is on it, it just doesn't have the Canada markings on it.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

i love hassy

i love mizutama

YAY JAPAN

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I like this Kajan Johnson kid.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Johnson looks really patient and he's so far been pretty accurate in his counter-striking

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That was an entertaining and good fight.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Lol, this guy attributing his success on the feet to watching Mighty Mouse. Not training with him, just watching him

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Haha a shot of Josh Barnett teaching the Japanese fighters the STF.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

fatherdog posted:

Lol, this guy attributing his success on the feet to watching Mighty Mouse. Not training with him, just watching him

Watching Mighty Mouse is the new "i learned it from youtube"

Khaal
Mar 22, 2008
Owwww

Fifthace
May 3, 2003

No.
hoo boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007