Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
I Just Bought a USB N64 Controller

what games do I use it on? I'm thinking of replaying Plague of Shadows and going for all the no-upgrade achievements, but I also just bought New N' Tasty... then there are a million classic games I could play as well... Hrm....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I was just thinking about Castlevania 64 yesterday. Play that.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Probably whatever you want to play that works with other USB controllers, so basically any game.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sin and Punishment

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Black Baby Goku posted:

Sin and Punishment

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

this game looks officially loving cool. I'll give it a shot after I'm back from work. thanks for the recs, IZ

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Mario Party 2: Netplay.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Or local multi, if you can get some casual bro's over for some casual brewskis and gaming...it's Just Fun!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Buy another one and try that Mario 64 2-player romhack

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Play Mischief Makers, as it was very explicitly designed with the N64 controller in mind and is awesome..

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
theres a guy who plays super mario rpg in my lit class on his ipad with a snes usb controller. i wanna be like that guy sometimes.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

frank.club posted:

theres a guy who plays super mario rpg in my lit class on his ipad with a snes usb controller. i wanna be like that guy sometimes.

i use this http://www.fc30.com/eng/

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

frank.club posted:

In college I played through and beat Earthbound in a psych class on a PalmPilot

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That's fresh.

Pablo Gigante posted:

In college I played through and beat Earthbound in a psych class on a PalmPilot

I dunno how to emulate on my iphone or I'd prolly just play Pokemon or something.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
I had a janky USB adapter that had a giant clear plastic box on the end with an N64 controller port and a PS2 controller port that I used for all my video game emulation in college back in 2003.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

coldplay chiptunes posted:

I had a janky USB adapter that had a giant clear plastic box on the end with an N64 controller port and a PS2 controller port that I used for all my video game emulation in college back in 2003.
Sounds like you just outed yourself as an Old Gamer. It's okay, there are many like us.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Pablo Gigante posted:

Sounds like you just outed yourself as an Old Gamer. It's okay, there are many like us.
I've posted dozens of times in the old gamer thread about how I'm a 30 year old holdover from the glory days of YCS.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

coldplay chiptunes posted:

I've posted dozens of times in the old gamer thread about how I'm a 30 year old holdover from the glory days of YCS.
Oh good. Even though I posted it I glazed over a large portion of it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Anyway, in-class gaming ftw

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Pablo Gigante posted:

Anyway, in-class gaming ftw

Agreed. I always struggle with whether to sit in the middle of the room and let people know I'm gaming hard, or to sit in the back as to not be disturbed

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sit in the back playing Crusader Kings II so it's impossible to tell you're gaming because hell, let's be honest, you barely are.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also why in the Sam Hill would buy an N64 controller for a PC, when you can use basically any other controller ever made.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

In Training posted:

Also why in the Sam Hill would buy an N64 controller for a PC, when you can use basically any other controller ever made.

To be honest it was an impulse buy, but I like the way the controller's assymetry feels in my hands

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
i remember when i got majoras mask i spent like half an hour in the prologue watching link jump all crazy cool

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

klapman posted:

i remember when i got majoras mask i spent like half an hour in the prologue watching link jump all crazy cool

I also did this, but with one of those pay-to-play N64s you would see in hotels

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Schnedwob posted:

I also did this, but with one of those pay-to-play N64s you would see in hotels

my parents wouldn't let me play it because I had one at home. they could never understand

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

In Training posted:

its because a lot of games are made specifically for that controller ie

Seshoho Cian posted:

Play Mischief Makers, as it was very explicitly designed with the N64 controller in mind and is awesome..
the n64 controller is hard to emulate because it was at that weird stage between d-pads and analogue sticks and some games used both while others used none(robotron 64 i believe you could use just the arrows to move but i might be remembering wrong its been forever and gently caress that game) and nothing really feels right except the original although xbox 360's controller comes pretty close but not quite

also op play body harvest and goemon ftw

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

starbarry clock posted:

also op play body harvest and goemon ftw

they're on the list.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I played civ in one of my classes when a dude walked up and asked if Id play with him after the break. We spent like every lecture playing eachother it was sick

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Austrian mook posted:

We spent like every lecture playing eachother it was sick

pffff gaaahahahahahha wowwwww!!!! WOW!!! THATS SO FREAKING LOLLY!!! IM LOLLINGMY HEAD OFF!!!

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
WHAT

WAS

HIS

NAME!!!!!!!!!

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

starbarry clock posted:

WHAT

WAS

HIS

NAME!!!!!!!!!

corey perry

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
People talk crap about the N64 controller, but I'm here to say that it was actually pretty good.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

People talk crap about the N64 controller, but I'm here to say that it was actually pretty good.

The controller as a whole was designed for a three-armed mutant and a normal person holding it by the control stick prong makes half the controller useless

However, that other half of the controller is Very Excellent

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

everything except for the plastic on plastic design of the stick that caused it's responsiveness to degrade rapidly is great imo.

I rememeber reading somewhere that the idea was they weren't sure if this whole "3D gimmick" was going to take off and they wanted to have a controller that could play 2D games just fine too

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
have you played winback, or hybrid heaven

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I thought you couldn't emulate N64 games. What ever.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

NickRoweFillea posted:

have you played winback, or hybrid heaven

i haven't played winback since n64 launch, is it still insanely cool? thinking of getting it on psn

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

net cafe scandal posted:

I thought you couldn't emulate N64 games. What ever.

u can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Homework Explainer posted:

i haven't played winback since n64 launch, is it still insanely cool? thinking of getting it on psn

game fearlessly

• Locked thread